PDA

View Full Version : gOOD gRUB IN KC

KChiefsQT
09-17-2004, 06:54 PM
Hey...for those of you that live or have been to KC....I'm looking for some good restaurants to go to!!?? Like ones that have good steak and-or bbq food!! Thanksss

|Zach|
09-17-2004, 06:55 PM
Steak...if you have some money go to Capital Grill on the Plaza. Best steak I ever had.

KChiefsQT
09-17-2004, 06:56 PM
Sounds good...thank you

|Zach|
09-17-2004, 06:57 PM
Sounds good...thank you
Yum...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=31696&stc=1

On a side note is that you in your avatar? If so you are to attractive to be hanging around these parts. Bad things will happen.

|Zach|
09-17-2004, 07:04 PM
As far as BBQ this will be argued all day and night but I am a big fan of Rosedale BBQ by Suthwest Blvd. I think its gets left out to much...good stuff...

Skip Towne
09-17-2004, 07:07 PM
Bryant's Barbeque is my favorite. It's located at 1727 Brooklyn.

go bowe
09-17-2004, 07:08 PM
As far as BBQ this will be argued all day and night but I am a big fan of Rosedale BBQ by Suthwest Blvd. I think its gets left out to much...good stuff...you ever try bates city bbq??

it's a little different, but i like it...

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 07:09 PM
As far as BBQ this will be argued all day and night but I am a big fan of Rosedale BBQ by Suthwest Blvd. I think its gets left out to much...good stuff...
Smokehouse is under rated too...

go bowe
09-17-2004, 07:10 PM
Hey...for those of you that live or have been to KC....I'm looking for some good restaurants to go to!!?? Like ones that have good steak and-or bbq food!! Thankssstry the hereford house either downtown or in independence...

go bowe
09-17-2004, 07:11 PM
Smokehouse is under rated too...mmmmmmmmmm...

now that's some good eatin'!!

love those burnt ends!! :) :) :)

|Zach|
you ever try bates city bbq??

it's a little different, but i like it...
Yes I have...big fan.

KcMizzou
try the hereford house either downtown or in independence... You know... I've lived in and around KC my whole life, and I've still never been there. I've gotta put that on my "to do" list.

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 07:12 PM
mmmmmmmmmm...

now that's some good eatin'!!

love those burnt ends!! :) :) :) And the best beans you'll find anywhere..

go bowe
09-17-2004, 07:15 PM
You know... I've lived in and around KC my whole life, and I've still never been there. I've gotta put that on my "to do" list.it's been awhile since i've been there, but it's as good as the best steakhouses we had where i grew up (many moons ago)...

you should check it out...

their porterhouse is too good... [hand rubbing belly smilie] :D :D :D

KChiefsQT
09-17-2004, 07:17 PM
Lol...looks like I'm gonna be eating the whole time there!! Thanks a lot you guys.. :thumb:

gblowfish
09-17-2004, 07:19 PM
All you need to know about KC BBQ is here:
http://www.georgeblowfish.com/BBQ.html
Steaks? Did you say steaks???
Golden Ox next to Kemper Arena;
or
Hereford House
20th? (I think) and Main, just North of Crown Center
Majestic Steak House (an old speak easy from the 20's, very cool)
Just north of Bartle Hall about two or three blocks on Main;
Savoy Grill, again just North of Bartle Hall on 9th St: This was one of Harry Truman's favorite restaurants...been there forever.
On bucks: Savoy, really expensive;
Majestic, pretty expensive,
Golden Ox and Hereford House, both fairly reasonable.
You really can't go wrong with any of these places. Bon Appetit...dude.

BigChiefFan
09-17-2004, 07:21 PM
There are several great BBQ joints in KC, I guess it all depends on preference and where you are within the city. In the Northland, I prefer Snokehouse BBQ, it's very good and very reasonable. South f the river Oklahoma Joe's and Smokestack are my favs.

For steak, the Hereford House is pretty good and the Plaza III rocks. If I were you I would head to the plaza-there's several great restaurants with lots of variety.http://www.dineoutinkc.com/plaza3/

|Zach|
09-17-2004, 07:23 PM
or
Hereford House
Savoy Grill, again just North of Bartle Hall on 9th St: This was one of Harry Truman's favorite restaurants...been there forever.
GB, great page...I had no idea you put that together. Very impressive.

Good call on getting Rosedale's name out there. I think it is very good and very underappreciated around the KC area.

BigChiefFan
09-17-2004, 07:26 PM
Also for great home-cookin' I would highly recommend Stroud's-they have the best chicken I have ever tasted. Another home-cookin' place is the corner cafe. Good stuff!!

Skip Towne
09-17-2004, 07:28 PM
or
Hereford House
I thought the Golden Ox closed.

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 07:30 PM
Another home-cookin' place is the corner cafe. Good stuff!! Years ago we used to go there for lunch.. they have some awesome open-faced tenderloins. Basically a huge chicken-fried steak on texas toast, smothered in white gravy...

6 Iron
09-17-2004, 07:30 PM
Also for great home-cookin' I would highly recommend Stroud's-they have the best chicken I have ever tasted. Another home-cookin' place is the corner cafe. Good stuff!!

Good call. I love the cinnamon rolls, too. Is there still always a big line to get in?

BigChiefFan
09-17-2004, 07:32 PM
Years ago we used to go there for lunch.. they have some awesome open-faced tenderloins. Basically a huge chicked-fried steak on texas toast, smothered in white gravy...
Why'd you stop going? The place is still great and they opened a new one in Liberty. I haven't been to the one in Liberty, but the original is umm umm good.

gblowfish
09-17-2004, 07:32 PM
I had heard that rumor too, I don't think they're closed. Their website is still up an runnin:
http://www.goldenox.com/

BigChiefFan
09-17-2004, 07:33 PM
Good call. I love the cinnamon rolls, too. Is there still always a big line to get in?
Just on the weekends- during the week it's pretty easy to get a table. The weekends are a nightmare unless you go before 6:00.

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 07:33 PM
Why'd you stop going? The place is still great and they opened a new one in Liberty. I haven't been to the one in Liberty, but the original is umm umm good. I changed jobs... We used to go to the one in Riverside when I worked on North Oak. Now I work over near Worlds of Fun.

JimNasium
09-17-2004, 07:34 PM
Don't forget Strouds.

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 07:35 PM
Don't forget Strouds. BCF got 'em.

Home of the chicken chokers.

BigChiefFan
09-17-2004, 07:35 PM
I changed jobs... We used to go to the one in Riverside when I worked on North Oak. Now I work over near Worlds of Fun.
Well there's one in Liberty now. It's on the west side of 35 off of 152, by the 54th street grill.

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 07:36 PM
Well there's one in Liberty now. It's on the west side of 35 off of 152, by the 54th street grill. Cool... I may have to suggest a trip up there some evening...

JimNasium
09-17-2004, 07:37 PM
BCF got 'em.

Home of the chicken chokers.
I guess I need to read more and post less.

Dammit Carl! :cuss:

Ari Chi3fs
09-17-2004, 07:55 PM
there is a place called Hy-Vee... good gRUB there fo sho.

Saulbadguy
09-17-2004, 08:00 PM
Bryant's Barbeque is my favorite. It's located at 1727 Brooklyn.
Seconded.

Saulbadguy
09-17-2004, 08:00 PM
Nope. Went there before the Cleveland game.

Saulbadguy
09-17-2004, 08:02 PM
If you are in the mood for Italian, nothing beats Garozzas . Chicken Spedini...mmm..

Skip Towne
09-17-2004, 08:07 PM
I changed jobs... We used to go to the one in Riverside when I worked on North Oak. Now I work over near Worlds of Fun.
Are you still selling truck parts?

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 08:10 PM
Are you still selling truck parts? Yeah... been there for just over 3 years now. GM, Volvo, Freightliner, Cat, Cummins.. etc etc... If you need a deal on parts for that Grand Am let me know... I'll get you parts at the employee price.

(We deal in all GM products... light duty too)

Skip Towne
09-17-2004, 08:20 PM
Yeah... been there for just over 3 years now. GM, Volvo, Freightliner, Cat, Cummins.. etc etc... If you need a deal on parts for that Grand Am let me know... I'll get you parts at the employee price.

(We deal in all GM products... light duty too)
I misunderstood. I thought you had changed jobs recently.

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 08:23 PM
I misunderstood. I thought you had changed jobs recently. Nah... I used to work for a Nissan dealership on North Oak, but that was years ago. Since then I've spent 5 years at a Chevy dealer in Kearney... and spent the last 3 at the current place.

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 08:24 PM
Sheesh... that's a lot of years... I'm gettin' old.

KChiefsQT
09-17-2004, 08:28 PM
Saulbadguy- I love Italian food...whereabouts in KC is that located?

Bowser
09-17-2004, 08:39 PM

The original Garrozzos is located at 7th St. and Brooklyn Ave. If you choose to eat there, eat very little that day before you go. You will be absolutely stuffed! Garrozzos has opened up other restaurants around town, so there may be one near where you'll be staying. Don't have the other addy's, tho.

Another Italian place that gets good reviews is Cascones in the Northland. It's at 35th and North Oak. Not a bad place either. Personally, I'd go with Garrozos, but you really can't go wrong.

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 08:42 PM
Another Italian place that gets good reviews is Cascones in the Northland. It's at 35th and North Oak. Heh... I took my gf there for my junior prom.

Bowser
09-17-2004, 08:45 PM
Heh... I took my gf there for my junior prom.

Thought you would take her to a "nice" place in hopes of getting through her defenses, eh? :)

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 08:47 PM
Thought you would take her to a "nice" place in hopes of getting through her defenses, eh? :) Oh, that's nothin'. For the senior prom, my uncle flew us over the city in a Cessna 150.... (same girl, btw)

ChiefsFanatic
09-18-2004, 01:07 AM

Cascone's on North Oak is good too.

Brando
09-18-2004, 01:27 AM
I'm from Upstate NY where the Italian is incredible.
Coming to KC and eating Italian is like going to Amsterdam and skipping the hash bars and Red Light District.
Pass on the Italian in KC and take the advice of BCF..check out Strouds.
Strouds food is like good sex...gets you all sleepy and you need a cigarette afterwards.
I'm definitely a huge fan of the Majestic too. The environment is awesome.

KcMizzou
09-18-2004, 01:30 AM
I'm from Upstate NY where the Italian is incredible.
Coming to KC and eating Italian is like going to Amsterdam and skipping the hash bars and Red Light District. He's right.. If you're here for a visit, stick with what we do best.

Brando
09-18-2004, 01:33 AM
here here

KcMizzou
09-18-2004, 01:36 AM
here here ROFL

Phobia
09-18-2004, 01:40 AM
I'm very fond of P.F. Changs in the Plaza. You won't get steaks or BBQ there, but I really love their food. Incredible value for the money, too.

Brando
09-18-2004, 01:43 AM
I'm very fond of P.F. Changs in the Plaza. You won't get steaks or BBQ there, but I really love their food. Incredible value for the money, too.
Did someone say Lettice wraps? MMMmmmmm
Have you ever eaten at the Thai Place in Westport?
Food is just about as good and the wait isn't as bad.

Count Alex's Losses
09-18-2004, 01:51 AM
Since you live in California you should visit one of your local steakhouses. Cali has several in the top ten:

http://www.bobssteakandchop.com/images/list-2003newanim.gif

KChiefsQT
09-18-2004, 02:26 AM
Chop House in San Fran...overated!! I just heard KC had some mean steak...so I was just asking about it and I can go to a California steak house anyday...just looking for something a little different!! Thanks everyone who gave me all the ideas...I'm looking forward to some good grub!!!!!

SBK
09-18-2004, 02:38 AM
Im not from KC, but I do get down there quite a bit. Forget anything but BBQ. Gates, JackStacks and Arthur Bryants are all way too good to pass up for food you can get anywhere. Make sure to get some beans for me at JackStacks! HAHA.

KChiefsQT
04-24-2006, 10:37 PM
Aww my first thread ever. No really, I'm trying to find the name of that fancy steakhouse that was recommended I believe in this thread??!!

DaneMcCloud
04-24-2006, 11:42 PM
Chop House in San Fran...overated!! I just heard KC had some mean steak...so I was just asking about it and I can go to a California steak house anyday...just looking for something a little different!! Thanks everyone who gave me all the ideas...I'm looking forward to some good grub!!!!!

I left KC about thirteen years ago and believe me, there's a HUGE difference between California beef and KC beef. The Cal beef is very dry, unflavorful and needs a massive amount of marination and spices to even be edible. The beef from the KC stockyards is absolutely incredible and practically melts in your mouth. If you want a great steak, check out some of the local KC steakhouses (though I'd avoid the national chains like Capitol Grille or Ruth's Chris). I'm just not a chain restaurant guy.

And despite what Brando says (nothing personal, hombre), Garozzo's is an excellent choice for Italian food. Again, most of the Italian food in California is Northern Italian, but NY & most KC Italian (minus the chains like Buca Di Peppo and others) are authentic Sicilian, though that may have changed in the years since I left.

Have fun. Bon Appetito!

KChiefsQT
04-25-2006, 12:02 AM
I left KC about thirteen years ago and believe me, there's a HUGE difference between California beef and KC beef. The Cal beef is very dry, unflavorful and needs a massive amount of marination and spices to even be edible. The beef from the KC stockyards is absolutely incredible and practically melts in your mouth. If you want a great steak, check out some of the local KC steakhouses (though I'd avoid the national chains like Capitol Grille or Ruth's Chris). I'm just not a chain restaurant guy.

And despite what Brando says (nothing personal, hombre), Garozzo's is an excellent choice for Italian food. Again, most of the Italian food in California is Northern Italian, but NY & most KC Italian (minus the chains like Buca Di Peppo and others) are authentic Sicilian, though that may have changed in the years since I left.

Have fun. Bon Appetito!
heh. this thread was from a couple years ago... just rbought it back up to find the name of the steakhouse i went to. And...yes I agree the steak in Cali is nothing like the steak in KC. My favorite steak when I was in town, believe it or not, was one my dad's buddy cooked up. It was fffffabulous!!

DaneMcCloud
04-25-2006, 12:05 AM
Oh, sorry about that! And the right steak on the right grill - awesome! Glad you enjoyed it!

CoMoChief
04-25-2006, 12:07 AM
We have this one restaurant, just a little fast food joint, its called McDonald's, I dont know if you've ever heard of it or not. Anyways it's not too bad and it's cheap too. Best Coke in the world! I highly suggest it.

arrowhead20
04-25-2006, 02:23 AM
dont leave out Manny's off southwest blvd, that is the best mexican ive ever eaten and i lived 20 min from mexico. on the weekends they have a live mariachi band as well

chefsos
04-25-2006, 02:55 AM
Aww my first thread ever. No really, I'm trying to find the name of that fancy steakhouse that was recommended I believe in this thread??!!
You gotta be REALLY hungry by now.

Miles
04-25-2006, 03:23 AM

Just curious but do the better steak places serve midwestern beef there in CA? Seems like the good steak places I have been to outside of the midwest, including Texas, tend to serve midwest beef.