View Full Version : Stephen Davis is out

6 Iron
09-17-2004, 08:55 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3018554

Panthers' Davis out 2-5 weeks with knee injury
Story Tools: Print Email
Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com
Posted: 18 minutes ago

The Carolina Panthers' road to the defense of the NFC title has taken another major hit.

Photo gallery ...
Best of NFL's Week 1

Packers-Panthers

Panthers head coach John Fox told FOXSports.com that the Panthers Pro Bowl running back Stephen Davis will be out for two to five weeks after undergoing arthroscopic surgery Friday afternoon on his knee.

Davis, who ran for a career-best 1,444 yards last season, has had some swelling in the knee since the preseason when he was forced to miss the third preseason game.

DeShaun Foster will now get the start for the Panthers, who also lost star receiver Steve Smith to a broken leg against the Packers on Monday night.

"[Davis] got an MRI yesterday and they've decided to scope it today," said one Panthers official. "We should be all right with DeShaun though."

Foster was a solid backup to Davis last year, and started two games in place of him while Davis nursed an ankle injury. He ran for 429 yards on 113 carries, and had 26 receptions for 207 yards and two touchdowns.

Foster was also solid in the postseason, running for 196 yards and two touchdowns in four games.

He first proved his worth in a regular-season game at Indianapolis, filling in for Davis when he left in the second half with a bruised arm. Foster came in and carried 16 times for 85 yards to help the Panthers to an overtime victory.

But that was behind a drastically different offensive line than Carolina has this year. Three starters are gone from that unit, and the Panthers struggled to run behind the new line on Monday night. They had just 38 yards on the ground, and Davis had 26 on nine carries.

Davis, who set career marks last season for rushing touchdowns (eight), rushing attempts (318) and 100-yard rushing games (seven), said last week that staying healthy was the only goal he set for himself this season. He's completed a 16-game schedule just once in his career, in 2001.

"Being a running back in the NFL, you will get the wear and tear," he said. "You have to be durable to go through it. But that's a goal, to play the whole season injury free, although anything can happen. I'm just going to take it one game at a time and roll on."

6 Iron
09-17-2004, 08:58 PM
Just realized, I am the only guy in the world that did not know this. Sorry.

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 09:00 PM
Just realized, I am the only guy in the world that did not know this. Sorry. ROFL We had 14 real threads and 42 joke threads about it.

Don't sweat it... happens all the time.

KC Jones
09-17-2004, 09:01 PM

You dumb bastard!!!

What, like you have better things to do than read this board constantly?

:p

tk13
:D

You saved yourself... I think there was about to be a third "roast" thread without Big Daddy having to choose who gets roasted.

Bowser
ChiefsPlanet rules mandate that you neg rep yourself, then never talk of it again.

Then go buy us some beer, and we'll never talk of it again, either. :thumb:

Katipan
09-17-2004, 09:02 PM
flashback

*shudder*

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 09:02 PM
Then go buy us some beer, and we'll never talk of it again, either. :thumb: I've got to say.... this... is a fantastic idea.

HolmeZz
09-17-2004, 09:04 PM
No one scrolls down anymore? :p

6 Iron
09-17-2004, 09:05 PM
ChiefsPlanet rules mandate that you neg rep yourself, then never talk of it again.

Then go buy us some beer, and we'll never talk of it again, either. :thumb:

Fair enough, if anybody comes to the North country, I've got the first round. (no snow yet). Fun to know Minnesota fact: only month that has never had snow=July.