PDA

View Full Version : My meeting King Carl and Lamar at Red Friday

BigRedChief
09-17-2004, 08:35 PM
I just got back from Red Friday. Pretty cool. It has some possibilites of really growing into a city wide event.

Anyway. I got my signature ball and picked out my spot to have the players autogragh the ball. Welllll Lamar Hunt and Carl Peterson come walking by and I ask for Lamar's autograph (he is really getting fragile looking). Lamar was great and very friendly. I handed him the ball and he asked where he could sign the ball and I pointed to a prominent place on the ball he laughed and said you sure you want my name there....

Lamar went along and Carl stuck out his hand to sign it. He was going down the line of people and my ball was right there. He took my ball and then got a call on his cell. He listenen for about 30 seconds and then said "You tell them that I'm too busy this weekend and to call on Tuesday and maybe then we can discuss it and hung up the phone. While he was signing my ball I asked him "Mr. Peterson do we have any cap room to sign anybody else to help our team"? He said "we feel pretty good about our team and we need you guys on Sunday, thanks, What's your name? Well good to meet you" and walked off

So ends my brush with greatness...

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 08:40 PM
Cool. You really can't expect much more than that. Did you get any players autographs?

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 08:41 PM
And fwiw... yeah.. I'd want Lamar's sig front and center.... I have a TON of respect for the guy.

Deberg_1990
09-17-2004, 08:41 PM
OK..so what is Red Friday exactly? some sort of Pep Rally I take it?

Mr. Laz
09-17-2004, 08:43 PM
OK..so what is Red Friday exactly? some sort of Pep Rally I take it?

kinda a citywide "attitude"

during football season people wear red on friday before home games

there are also some get public get togethers that often involve adult beverages.

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 08:46 PM

Yeah, most KC businesses allow their employees to wear Chiefs gear on Fridays.

Deberg_1990
09-17-2004, 08:46 PM

there are also some get public get togethers that often involve adult beverages.

sounds pretty cool...but he just said "he just got back from Red Friday" i took that as he just got back from some sort of an event?

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 08:50 PM
sounds pretty cool...but he just said "he just got back from Red Friday" i took that as he just got back from some sort of an event? I assume he was in Westport. Yeah... there's a Chief's party (rally) there every Friday during the season.

BigRedChief
09-17-2004, 08:51 PM
And fwiw... yeah.. I'd want Lamar's sig front and center.... I have a TON of respect for the guy.

Lamar walked like you see people in nursing homes. With a can bent over. He needed help but you could tell he was giving it all he had to behave "normal". To crack jokes with a fan....Yeah he's a classy guy....Now Carl thats another matter...

J Diddy
09-17-2004, 08:53 PM
Cool. You really can't expect much more than that. Did you get any players autographs?

Yes, you can.

Peterson should have revealed his ultra secret plan to sign the top 3 players in the nfl with the $6 million we have under the cap.

Deberg_1990
09-17-2004, 08:54 PM
Lamar walked like you see people in nursing homes. With a can bent over. He needed help but you could tell he was giving it all he had to behave "normal". To crack jokes with a fan....Yeah he's a classy guy....Now Carl thats another matter...

who was on the phone with Carl ya think? McCardells agent?

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 08:55 PM
Yes, you can.

Peterson should have revealed his ultra secret plan to sign the top 3 players in the nfl with the $6 million we have under the cap. You're right.

Dammit Carl! :cuss:

:rolleyes:

PastorMikH
09-17-2004, 08:55 PM
Cool story!

I really hope the Chiefs can take the trophy this year for Lamar. Doesn't sound like he will have too many more chances to see them get another Lombardi.

I also kinda wonder if Lamar's health could be part of the salary cap/spending issue. If he is in such poor health, he has probably turned things over to his son who may not want to reach into his own pockets the way his dad did.

PastorMikH
09-17-2004, 08:56 PM

Probably one of his secretaries by the way it sounds.:)

tk13
09-17-2004, 08:57 PM
Probably KCTitus, I think he said something earlier about not getting this week's paycheck yet...

BigRedChief
09-17-2004, 08:57 PM
sounds pretty cool...but he just said "he just got back from Red Friday" i took that as he just got back from some sort of an event?

The event has been at Arrowhead for the last 3 years. It's getting pretty big now. 20 bands over 2 days etc. They have their own website:
http://www.arrowheadfanfest.com

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 08:59 PM
Probably KCTitus, I think he said something earlier about not getting this week's paycheck yet... ROFL

You're turning to the dark side tk... :shake: You must resist the Vlad.

tk13
09-17-2004, 09:02 PM
ROFL

You're turning to the dark side tk... :shake: You must resist the Vlad.
Don't worry, I'm wearing my Vlad-lock bag, now with the yellow plus blue makes green seal.

BigRedChief
09-17-2004, 09:08 PM
who was on the phone with Carl ya think? McCardells agent?I'm thinking a vendor or some facility issue. He took the call and about 8 or so of us fans were right there listening so after the 30 seconds or so that he listened he could have walked away and talked "real" business.

But I'd like to think that the "dark side" Carl was blowing off Mckenzie and McCardell's agents with the same phone call.

htismaqe
09-17-2004, 09:10 PM
Probably KCTitus, I think he said something earlier about not getting this week's paycheck yet...

It wasn't me.

I talked to him this morning. Where do you think I got the whole "Deshaun Foster's career long is 21 yards" argument? :D

BigRedChief
09-17-2004, 09:24 PM
It was interesting that Carl signed his name and then below it put
Carl Peterson
pres/GM
Here's a pic of their sigs:
http://eteamz.active.com/lscardinals/images/lamarsigpic.jpg

TheNextStep
09-17-2004, 09:27 PM
For what it is worth, I hate the Kansas City Chiefs... but, trash talk aside, I can't even put into words how much I respect Lamar Hunt.

Skip Towne
09-17-2004, 09:30 PM
Nah, that's Htismaqe that is on the payroll as an apologist. I think he gets $15 a week.

BigRedChief
09-17-2004, 09:32 PM
Cool story!

I really hope the Chiefs can take the trophy this year for Lamar. Doesn't sound like he will have too many more chances to see them get another Lombardi.

I also kinda wonder if Lamar's health could be part of the salary cap/spending issue. If he is in such poor health, he has probably turned things over to his son who may not want to reach into his own pockets the way his dad did.

Yeah makes you wonder doesn't it. Who trusts Lamars son to do the right thing? Maybe he is a good guy. He has the genes but.......

TheNextStep
09-17-2004, 09:33 PM
Speaking of Lamar Hunt, if you don't already have it, you should check out a book called "Going Long"...

It is the story of AFL, as told by those who lived it. The author personally interviewed hundreds of owners, players, coaches, etc...

A very good read.

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 09:36 PM
For what it is worth, I hate the Kansas City Chiefs... but, trash talk aside, I can't even put into words how much I respect Lamar Hunt. Exactly. He was a key factor in making the NFL what it is today.. and we all love that, or we wouldn't be here.

TheNextStep
09-17-2004, 09:38 PM
Exactly. He was a key factor in making the NFL what it is today.. and we all love that, or we wouldn't be here.
By the same token, though I don't expect y'all to admit it, so was Al Davis.

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 09:41 PM
By the same token, though I don't expect y'all to admit it, so was Al Davis. Hey.. in any good story, the hero needs an arch enemy... :D

TheNextStep
09-17-2004, 09:42 PM
I'll continue this in the nightcrew thread, so I don't hijack this one...

stevieray
09-17-2004, 09:59 PM
They had the tailgate competiton, things for kids, two stages. (bands tommorrow also) Tony D's band, cheerleaders and KCWolf.
Smith, Fox, Cheeks, Dante, Tony G, and Tony R on stage. JPearson hosting.
Xfactor, Red Extreme, Arrowman, WW, Indian Dan?

Good crowd. Great time. I also met Carl Peterson. told him there was a new "king" in town.

alanm
09-17-2004, 10:07 PM
Don't worry, I'm wearing my Vlad-lock bag, now with the yellow plus blue makes green seal.Just leave yourself a airhole.:thumb:

alanm
09-17-2004, 10:15 PM
By the same token, though I don't expect y'all to admit it, so was Al Davis.True, I bet he wishes he was still the HC now and again. The smartest thing he did was hire Madden. I often wonder how many games Madden would have won had he stayed longer than 10 years. He's another that retired waaaaaaaaaay before his time. Say what you want about him but he was one hell of a coach. I liked the guy even when he was kicking KC's ass every once in awhile. People think he's goofy but he's a ex O Lineman. Them guys are always a little flakey.ROFL

alanm
09-17-2004, 10:23 PM
They had the tailgate competiton, things for kids, two stages. (bands tommorrow also) Tony D's band, cheerleaders and KCWolf.

Good crowd. Great time. I also met Carl Peterson. told him there was a new "king" in town.I take it you were all decked out in your best finery. I gotta ask you Stevie. Are those sideburns stickons or they naturaly grown. I haven't seen mutton chops like those except in President Martin Van Buren paintings.ROFL j/k

go bowe
09-17-2004, 10:25 PM

Good crowd. Great time. I also met Carl Peterson. told him there was a new "king" in town.and first down elvis!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :wayne: :wayne: :wayne:

outstanding!! :thumb: http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/realhappy/jump.gif http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/realhappy/jump.gif

WilliamTheIrish
09-17-2004, 10:29 PM

Lamar's time on this earth is limited. He's a prostate cancer survivor. He's had some of the very best treatment at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.

Prostate cancer survivors have a high recidivism rate of about 60% after 5 years. It's a sneaky nasty disease that metastisizes into bone cancer.

He's been through a lot. He's done more for this city than I can write in this post.

It's the reason I'll defend him when azz monkeys claim "He's only in it for the money."

stevieray
09-17-2004, 10:35 PM
I take it you were all decked out in your best finery. I gotta ask you Stevie. Are those sideburns stickons or they naturaly grown. I haven't seen mutton chops like those except in President Martin Van Buren paintings.ROFL j/k

they're fake.....I thought about growing them out, but decided against it.

people usually ask if I'm wearing a wig.... :hmmm:

Chief fans rock!

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 10:36 PM
He's been through a lot. He's done more for this city than I can write in this post.

It's the reason I'll defend him when azz monkeys claim "He's only in it for the money." Mr. Hunt's the man, in my opinion. He deserves our respect... at the very least.

stevieray
09-17-2004, 10:37 PM
and first down elvis!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :wayne: :wayne: :wayne:

outstanding!! :thumb: http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/realhappy/jump.gif http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/realhappy/jump.gif

thanks, GB.....

Mr. Laz
09-17-2004, 10:42 PM
It was interesting that Carl signed his name and then below it put
Carl Peterson
pres/GM[/img]

yea... he wanted to make sure you knew WHO he was :rolleyes:

i've seen Peterson at a rest/bar once ... seen him talking on t.v. ... interviews on radio/newspaper...

EVERYTHING about peterson screams complete and total greezy douchebag,weasel PoS.

i just wouldn't turn my back with him around

i know this is a unpopular stance around here though

stevieray
09-17-2004, 10:43 PM
Nzoner and Phob were there also...Nzoner and his bud drought down that trailer he posted about...

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet.

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 10:44 PM
Nzoner and Phob were there also...Nzoner and his bud drought down that trailer he posted about...

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet. Nzoner seems to be a bit fugged up. :D

BigRedChief
09-17-2004, 10:47 PM
thanks, GB.....

Where were you guys? I didn't see ya...

stevieray
09-17-2004, 10:48 PM
Nzoner seems to be fugggged up! :D

Designated drinker....I'll bet he loved the fact that he didn't have to drive home.

Phob was being his normal crazy self.

stevieray
09-17-2004, 10:49 PM
Where were you guys? I didn't see ya...

all over..... :)

KcMizzou
09-17-2004, 10:49 PM
Designated drinker....I'll bet he loved the fact that he didn't have to drive home.
Who wouldn't? Lucky bastard.

ChiefsCountry
09-17-2004, 11:05 PM
Lamar Hunt is a very classy man. My family had the pleasure of doing business with him and Chiefs during the 80's.

ENDelt260
09-17-2004, 11:43 PM
Actually... I was gritting my teeth considering responding to your earlier post with some comment about Al Davis' hand in the AFL's sucess.... but, I figured I'd let some old guy do it. Hell, I wasn't even alive then. For all I know, Al has always been just pure evil. Yep. That's the ticket.

ENDelt260
09-17-2004, 11:45 PM
thanks, GB.....

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=31710&stc=1

Zubaz!!

Phobia
09-17-2004, 11:52 PM
I thought it was the most poorly attended Red Friday pep ralley ever. It was too bad because the Chiefs had that place ready to rock!

I still had a good time, though.

ChiefsFanatic
09-18-2004, 12:03 AM

He is recovering from a broken hip.

digi2fish
09-18-2004, 12:09 AM
While he was signing my ball I asked him "Mr. Peterson do we have any cap room to sign anybody else to help our team"? He said "we feel pretty good about our team and we need you guys on Sunday, thanks, What's your name? Well good to meet you" and walked off

dammit, Mr. Peterson....
it's good I wasn't there....
:p

Ari Chi3fs
09-18-2004, 04:19 AM
by King Carl We feel pretty good about our team...

Yeah those WR's we have are fuggin great. Why not spend some of that 6 million you greedy fvck!?!

htismaqe
09-18-2004, 06:56 AM
Nah, that's Htismaqe that is on the payroll as an apologist. I think he gets $15 a week.

You're right and wrong.

Myself, Titus, and NMT are all on the payroll.

However, Carl feels that they've been a little lazy lately, so he's increased my pay to $25 a week.

Plus, when he heads to Sandy Eggo, he has promised to bring me along as CEA -- Chief Executive Apologist.

htismaqe
09-18-2004, 07:00 AM
yea... he wanted to make sure you knew WHO he was :rolleyes:

i've seen Peterson at a rest/bar once ... seen him talking on t.v. ... interviews on radio/newspaper...

EVERYTHING about peterson screams complete and total greezy douchebag,weasel PoS.

i just wouldn't turn my back with him around

i know this is a unpopular stance around here though

In all fairness, I don't think that stance is as unpopular as you'd like to make it out to be.

I'm the king of the apologists and even I don't particularly like Carl.

In all seriousness, some of the terms to use him would seem accurate, but there's another I'd like to add. He's weird looking, kinda like Emperor Palpatine from the Star Wars movies. Like underneath the rich guy, tough SOB negotiator exterior, he's a guy that still lives in his mother's basement.

BigRedChief
09-18-2004, 07:23 AM
In all fairness, I don't think that stance is as unpopular as you'd like to make it out to be.

In all seriousness, some of the terms to use him would seem accurate, but there's another I'd like to add. He's weird looking, kinda like Emperor Palpatine from the Star Wars movies. Like underneath the rich guy, tough SOB negotiator exterior, he's a guy that still lives in his mother's basement.

He's also got this "Donald Trump" type hairdo going. In person it really looked out of whack. going in different directions. overgrown in places. not a very President/GM/CEO look.

But I admit I don't like the guys ablitity to evaluate talent and pick players in the draft or lure free agents here. He is a failure in that area if you ask me.

htismaqe
09-18-2004, 08:06 AM
He's also got this "Donald Trump" type hairdo going. In person it really looked out of whack. going in different directions. overgrown in places. not a very President/GM/CEO look.

Exactly.

yakkyakk
09-18-2004, 08:38 AM
Did you check too see if you still had your wallet after you shook hands with Carlito?

cdcox
09-18-2004, 08:41 AM
Greasy Al Davis is both a self-parody and an icon.

Carl is approaching both among Chief fans, but not nationally.

If the Chiefs would win a championship under Carl, I would proudly declare, "He's an SOB, but at least he is our SOB." Unfortunately were that to happen, I think he'd leave the organization.

Bowser
09-18-2004, 08:49 AM

ROFL

Not bad for this early, Parker!

BigRedChief
09-18-2004, 08:58 AM
Okay I feel bad now about trashing the guy after he took time to sign my ball and will give him props for what he has done right.

He bit the bullet and went against what every fiber in his make money or else attitude and promoted tailgating when he knew he would take a hit at the conecession stand. His marketing skills are unsurpassed. Stadiums are still full despite only 2 playoff wins in 15 years.

Okay, I will now resume my Carl bashing...

yakkyakk
09-18-2004, 09:00 AM
Nationally people are laughing at Chiefs fans for buying into Don Carlito's crap. They give Carl props for being able to pull it off. I mean no play-off wins in 10 years...hmmm, let me guess maybe thats why this was the least attented pep rally Phobia's ever seen. Secondly he looks like one of the "goodfellas". Especially in his trench coat.

stevieray
09-18-2004, 09:16 AM
horse hockey.

BigRedChief
09-18-2004, 09:18 AM
There was a threat a sever weather moving into the area at the time of the pep rally. You could see some serious lightening in the distance moving our way during the festivites. We had some serious rain and hail last night. People could have been put off by the threat od severe weather.:hmmm:

cdcox
09-18-2004, 09:29 AM
My opinion of Carl is heavily influenced by my memories of the Steadman years. KC has consistently been one of the most consistent regular season teams under Carl's tenure. You have to give him credit for that. Playoffs obviously have been a different story. Why we have been so successful in the regular season, and so dissappointing in the playoffs, I don't know. Some combination of bad luck and not having the key players or right kind of players to push us over the top.

Carl is infinitely better at evaluating both football and coaching talent than Steadman was. Carl's had his hits and misses, but overall I think he is better than average with draft choices and free agents, as judged by the performance of his teams. Just not good enough to get us to the big game. There is a fair amount of luck involved in talent evaluation and everyone has their share of hits and misses.

Carl's performance with the Chief's has been competent, but not spectacular. His personallity and ego have in general made his tenure more entertaining than if he was more of a low profile kinda guy.

Bowser
09-18-2004, 09:35 AM
I agree that Carl has generally been quite good with bringing in the free agents. But his drafts are frustrating. He either hits it out of the park, or misses badly.

As far as his personality goes, he is the ultimate "don't you know who I am?!?!??" guy.

BigRedChief
09-18-2004, 09:47 AM
As far as his personality goes, he is the ultimate "don't you know who I am?!?!??" guy.

Just in case you missed it he will make sure that you get it when he signs your football. see below on the left Pres/GM...at least he left off the CEO part.... Lamar's sig is on the right.
http://eteamz.active.com/lscardinals/images/lamarsigpic.jpg

WilliamTheIrish
09-18-2004, 10:28 AM
Nationally people are laughing at Chiefs fans for buying into Don Carlito's crap

Source please. I'll wait.

Phobia
09-18-2004, 11:31 AM
There was a threat a sever weather moving into the area at the time of the pep rally. You could see some serious lightening in the distance moving our way during the festivites. We had some serious rain and hail last night. People could have been put off by the threat od severe weather.:hmmm:

Exactly. Three years ago, the skies opened up just as the pep rally was ending. Everybody was not only soaked, but also a little battered due to 80 MPH winds and hail. Nobody wanted to go through that again.

My rental car sustained a jammed door when we pulled up to the hotel and the wind blew it open. Crazy thing was stuck out from the car at a 90 degree angle.

Bowser
09-18-2004, 12:02 PM
Exactly. Three years ago, the skies opened up just as the pep rally was ending. Everybody was not only soaked, but also a little battered due to 80 MPH winds and hail. Nobody wanted to go through that again.

My rental car sustained a jammed door when we pulled up to the hotel and the wind blew it open. Crazy thing was stuck out from the car at a 90 degree angle.

Did you get the insurance?

Yah, nobody gets the insurance. :(

BigRedChief
09-18-2004, 01:31 PM
Your standard insurace should cover rental cars. Except for out of class exceptions like you drive a saturn but you enter an escalade and you dinged up the escalade. you will be covered for the cost of doing the repairs on a saturn. beyond that you are on your own.

Skip Towne
09-18-2004, 02:24 PM
How did Carl get into football anyhow? He looks like such a nancy boy I can't imagine him ever playing. DV must have picked him up hanging around in the parking lot at UCLA.

patteeu
09-18-2004, 03:52 PM

If Al Davis hadn't held the enterprise back, the merger would have led to a greater AFL with a bunch of former NFL teams instead of the reverse. ROFL

patteeu
09-18-2004, 04:00 PM
I'm a proud Carl Peterson fan. My gratitude for the way he brought KC Chiefs football back from the abyss will never fade. As far as I'm concerned, he can keep his job until he wants to give it up and either move on or retire. Thanks Carl.

And thanks to Lamar too for being the best owner in the NFL (or any other major league sport for that matter).

ENDelt260
09-18-2004, 04:01 PM
I'm a proud Carl Peterson fan. My gratitude for the way he brought KC Chiefs football back from the abyss will never fade. As far as I'm concerned, he can keep his job until he wants to give it up and either move on or retire. Thanks Carl.

And thanks to Lamar too for being the best owner in the NFL (or any other major league sport for that matter).
Trying to get on the payroll, too, are ya?

go bowe
09-18-2004, 04:41 PM
Trying to get on the payroll, too, are ya?*perk* payroll??

patteeu
09-18-2004, 06:01 PM
Trying to get on the payroll, too, are ya?

ROFL I could use the extra cash.

BigRedChief
09-18-2004, 08:03 PM

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one. but let me point out that the reasons that Chiefs football was brought back into the limelight was King Carls marketing and Marty ball consistency. Well IMHO.

Logical
09-18-2004, 08:39 PM
ROFL

You're turning to the dark side tk... :shake: You must resist the Vlad.:cuss:ROFL

milkman
09-18-2004, 08:56 PM

I don't know, but am I the only one that is reminded of the Prince in Schrek when I think of King Carl?

BigRedChief
09-18-2004, 09:29 PM
I don't know, but am I the only one that is reminded of the Prince in Schrek when I think of King Carl?

ROFLROFLROFL

The Pedestrian
09-18-2004, 09:38 PM
So this is why I saw fireworks in the south when I was coming home....

TheNextStep
09-18-2004, 10:39 PM
If Al Davis hadn't held the enterprise back, the merger would have led to a greater AFL with a bunch of former NFL teams instead of the reverse. ROFL
You're f***ing with me now. I know, I know... I can tell these things. You're f***ing with me.

BigRedChief
09-22-2004, 07:07 AM

Now thats something I think we can all agree on.

patteeu
09-22-2004, 08:25 AM
You're f***ing with me now. I know, I know... I can tell these things. You're f***ing with me.

:D

nmt1
09-22-2004, 09:08 AM
You're right and wrong.

Myself, Titus, and NMT are all on the payroll.

However, Carl feels that they've been a little lazy lately, so he's increased my pay to $25 a week.

Plus, when he heads to Sandy Eggo, he has promised to bring me along as CEA -- Chief Executive Apologist.

You're getting $25/week?!?! I can't believe it! I'm only getting $5! I'd try to call Carl but they must have caller ID because I can only get Bob Moore and he never lets me talk to Carl. I think I might write a letter to Lamar. That worked for the Romanowski thing.

KCTitus isn't being lazy, he's been proxy blocked.

BigChiefFan
09-22-2004, 10:08 AM
Carl sounds like a punk.