PDA

View Full Version : OT Anyone make their own BBQ sauce?

Brando
09-18-2004, 01:35 AM
I received a smoker as a gift in June and am addicted to using it.
Now I'm looking for a good recipe for BBQ sauce.
Anyone have anything good to share?

KChiefsQT
09-18-2004, 02:35 AM
1 tablespoon bacon drippings
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup peach schnapps
1/2 cup raisins
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
1/3 cup aged balsamic vinegar
2 1/4 cup chopped sweet apple
1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
1/4 cup frozen pineapple juice concentrate
3 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 1/4 cups dark corn syrup
1 (12-ounce) can tomato paste
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon Maggi Seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup Kahlua
1 teaspoon liquid hickory smoke
Fry onion in the bacon drippings over low heat until caramelized or dark golden brown. Reduce heat to medium-low. Deglaze saucepan with the water.
Stir in peach schnapps, raisins and garlic. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the mixture is of a syrupy consistency, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and place the mixture in a blender with the balsamic vinegar, apple, orange juice concentrate, pineapple juice concentrate, molasses, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and lime juice. Process until pureed and return to saucepan.
Add corn syrup, tomato paste, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, chili powder, Maggi Seasoning, salt, black pepper, and mix well. Bring to a low boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat. Stir in Kahlua and liquid smoke.
Store in the refrigerator in sealed container,,,and then enjoy

SBK
09-18-2004, 02:40 AM
I just got a smoker for my birthday last weekend. Gotta be up in 4 hours for the virgin run! I've tinkered with sauce recipies, but nothing that worth the work compared to buying it at the store yet.

Brando
09-18-2004, 03:19 AM
Make sure you coat the inside of that biznatch with some oil.
Happy Smoking!

ChiefJustice
09-18-2004, 07:03 AM
White Trash Recipes:
Poor Man's Barbeque Sauce
submitted by Bill

I put this together in my office one day when I needed some sauce, but didn't have anything but a bunch of fast-food packets.

Servings: 2
Time: 3 minutes

Ingredients:

* 5-6 packets ketchup
* 2-3 packets hot sauce
* 1 packet soy sauce
* 1 packet of sugar
* 1 packet of mustard
* 1 packet of salt
* 1 packet of pepper

Directions:

Mix all ingredients together and let stand for approximately 15 minutes or longer.

This can also be used for basting or marinating beef, chicken, pork or cooked sausage.

http://www.yumfood.net/recipes/poormanbbq.html

:thumb:

bkkcoh
09-18-2004, 07:22 AM
When I have run out of BBQ sauce, ( I know 50 lashes) I have used ketchup, brown sugar, liquid smoke, a little mustard and maybe a little vinegar.

Start with the ketchup, mustard, brown sugar and liquid smoke to get the base, if it is a little sweet add the vinegar.

Of course, all of this is to taste.

htismaqe
09-18-2004, 07:48 AM
What kind of smoker did you get?

I've been using my new Horizon pit for about 2 months now, and I absolutely love it.

I've developed my own dry rub and BBQ sauce, but I'm not willing to share the recipe in a public forum. ;)

I can't make enough of it on the weekends - I get raided by friends and family every week like clockwork.

I STRONGLY recommend picking up a book:

"Championship Barbecue Sauces" by Paul Kirk

It came highly recommended by several Internet BBQ sources, and was the highest rated book on the BBQ FAQ at http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html.

It's got hundreds of recipes for rubs, marinades, sauces, and salsa's. But more importantly, he spends a great deal of time teaching you how to create your own.

I developed my rub completely on my own, but it took several failed tries and eventually this book to get my Q sauce right.

cdcox
09-18-2004, 09:33 AM
I've also made a few sauces, but none I've been very happy with. My wife has an old family recipie, that is not bad, but maybe only a notch above grocery store sauces.

I would agree with htismaqe that rubs are far more forgiving than sauces.

LVNHACK
09-18-2004, 09:34 AM
[QUOTE=htismaqe]What kind of smoker did you get?

I've been using my new Horizon pit for about 2 months now, and I absolutely love it.
QUOTE]

What kind of pit is that...????.....I'm in the market for a new one.

Vindicator
09-18-2004, 10:09 AM
Make sure you coat the inside of that biznatch with some oil.
Happy Smoking!

Why this?

cdcox
09-18-2004, 10:33 AM
Why this?

It helps to season the smoker, like you would season a new cast iron skillet.

Ari Chi3fs
09-18-2004, 10:36 AM
Go down the correct grocery store aisle... pick up Gates Hot & Spicy BBQ sauce.

Total Time: 1 minute

Vindicator
09-18-2004, 11:09 AM

Oh Man, I've been greasing the outside!

Vindicator
09-18-2004, 11:12 AM

What's your preferred wood?

We gots no wood here in the desert. What wood I can get is not usually my choice, nor is it cheap.

cdcox
09-18-2004, 11:34 AM
I haven't experimented very much. I go with the traditional hickory, but it is real easy to over do it.

Vindicator
09-18-2004, 11:39 AM
I haven't experimented very much. I go with the traditional hickory, but it is real easy to over do it.

Love Hicokory, and it is easy to over do. Out west here they think Kansas City Chiefs are from Kansas and they think the only wood to smoke is mesquite. Uhh...

I am trying to get some apple or cherry. Few and far between out here.

htismaqe
09-18-2004, 11:47 AM
I'm using a mixture of hickory and peach. I love peach.

And the Horizon smoker was formerly Oklahoma Joe's. They're 1/4" steel, hold heat excellent, and have none of the problems that you usually get with the Home Depot/Menard's brands...

htismaqe
09-18-2004, 11:48 AM
Love Hicokory, and it is easy to over do. Out west here they think Kansas City Chiefs are from Kansas and they think the only wood to smoke is mesquite. Uhh...

I am trying to get some apple or cherry. Few and far between out here.

You can order wood online. http://www.barbecuewood.com/

Apple is great.

I CANNOT STAND mesquite...

redhed
09-18-2004, 12:00 PM
I too, recomend the Paul Kirk book. It's great to get ideas from it, although lately I've been leaning towards dry rubs.

jspchief
09-18-2004, 12:10 PM
What's your preferred wood?

We gots no wood here in the desert. What wood I can get is not usually my choice, nor is it cheap.

I would think mesquite would be in abundance.

redhed
09-18-2004, 12:17 PM
The ONLY thing I use mesquite(chips) for is in a combination with charcoal to grill beef. I think it tastes like crap with everything else.

edit:
I had a buddy gimme a log of apricot. It is awesome w/ pork or chix. Not so good w/ veggies.
Most of the time I use a combo of hickory + cherry + apple. A lot of my buds like to use pecan.

BigOlChiefsfan
09-18-2004, 12:21 PM
I was talking to a guy from N. Carolina yesterday, he sent me this recipe for his vinegar BBQ sauce. Going to look for a pork roast this afternoon & give this one a try tomorrow on some slow-smoked pulled pork.

Yields: 2 cups

Preparation time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

1/4 cup dark rum
1 cup rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 Tbsp Thai chili sauce
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 tsp dry hot mustard

Reduce rum by half over medium heat. Then add the rest of ingredients and cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes.

R&GHomer
09-18-2004, 12:46 PM

I like to use pecan with a touch of hickory. Good blend if you ask me, but I'm kind of new to smoking myself. The link htismage posted has been a great resource for me. Lots and lots of good info on that page.

LVNHACK
09-18-2004, 12:59 PM
I'm using a mixture of hickory and peach. I love peach.

And the Horizon smoker was formerly Oklahoma Joe's. They're 1/4" steel, hold heat excellent, and have none of the problems that you usually get with the Home Depot/Menard's brands...

Thanks Htis, I just found my new smoker.............

htismaqe
09-18-2004, 12:59 PM
I too, recomend the Paul Kirk book. It's great to get ideas from it, although lately I've been leaning towards dry rubs.

He's got an entire chapter on constructing your own dry rub, including several recipes.

I developed mine prior to reading his book, though, and I like mine better. One of his rules is for every unit of sugar you add, you should add one unit of salt. That's TOO salty, IMO.

htismaqe
09-18-2004, 01:03 PM
Thanks Htis, I just found my new smoker.............

I bought mine here:

http://www.hawgeyesbbq.com/BBQ-JSSmokers.html

It's in Ankeny, IA. I have the 16" classic. It's plenty big, I could probably do 4 whole turkeys on it.

Here's the deal with these:

Somebody once told me that a $200 Brinkmann from Menard's with $500 of modifications will NEVER work as well as a $500 smoker. I took his advice and bought this. It's the BEST thing I could have done.

The meat is superb, the maintenance is low, and it holds heat excellent. I usually damp it down to about 225-240.

Skip Towne
09-18-2004, 01:21 PM
Go down the correct grocery store aisle... pick up Gates Hot & Spicy BBQ sauce.

Total Time: 1 minute
You're close but Gates crap is fast food. Substitute Bryant's sauce.

rocks
09-18-2004, 01:23 PM
Dude, the best BBQ sauce I have ever tasted is from a little rib joint down here in Joplin called the "Sultan of Smoke". It has a sweet taste that just sets off the smoke flavor. I think that I saw at the counter that you can order it on the internet. I don't make my own but I have tried a lot of them and this is one that is always on hand!

LVNHACK
09-18-2004, 01:34 PM
I bought mine here:

http://www.hawgeyesbbq.com/BBQ-JSSmokers.html

It's in Ankeny, IA. I have the 16" classic. It's plenty big, I could probably do 4 whole turkeys on it.

Here's the deal with these:

Somebody once told me that a $200 Brinkmann from Menard's with $500 of modifications will NEVER work as well as a $500 smoker. I took his advice and bought this. It's the BEST thing I could have done.

The meat is superb, the maintenance is low, and it holds heat excellent. I usually damp it down to about 225-240.

I'm going with the 20" Ranger.....I was looking at these.....www.gatorpit.net ........ But I think they're a little high for me...

Raiderhader
09-18-2004, 01:58 PM
I am surprised by all the mesquite hatered. I have always found mesquite BBQ to be very good.

cdcox
09-18-2004, 02:43 PM
He's got an entire chapter on constructing your own dry rub, including several recipes.

I developed mine prior to reading his book, though, and I like mine better. One of his rules is for every unit of sugar you add, you should add one unit of salt. That's TOO salty, IMO.

Most rub recipies do call for similar levels of salt, and I too find this to be too salty. I make up different rubs every time I Q and it comes out fine now that I know to go easy on the salt.

I smoke on a cheapo water smoker. I can make due with it, but the level of attention required makes it so I do it less than I would with a good smoker. Sometime soon I'd like to get a horizontal pit. I think getting one made of 1/4 inch steel is a good idea because of the heat retention issue.

htismaqe
09-18-2004, 03:07 PM
Most rub recipies do call for similar levels of salt, and I too find this to be too salty. I make up different rubs every time I Q and it comes out fine now that I know to go easy on the salt.

I smoke on a cheapo water smoker. I can make due with it, but the level of attention required makes it so I do it less than I would with a good smoker. Sometime soon I'd like to get a horizontal pit. I think getting one made of 1/4 inch steel is a good idea because of the heat retention issue.

Let me put it this way. If I had to rate my Horizon horizontal on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd put it at about a 13.

You won't regret it. I cook EVERY weekend, sometimes 2 times. The only thing you need to be prepared for is the expense -- you'll be buying alot of meat.

TheNextStep
09-18-2004, 03:21 PM
If not Paul Kirk's book, try Steve Raichlen's "Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades." Not only does it have a million different sauces, but it'll outline how to build your own...