PDA

View Full Version : W has epiphany...now warns of danger and deterioration in Iraq

memyselfI
09-18-2004, 04:21 PM
I guess if you can't beat em (those who are being honest about the situation) then you might as well join em. :thumb:

Now he just needs to fess up about the WMDs, er, lack of.

http://news.myway.com/top/article/id/380018|top|09-18-2004::10:27|reuters.html

Bush Warns of Worsening Violence in Iraq, Afghanistan
Sep 18, 10:22 AM (ET)

KENNEBUNKPORT, Maine (Reuters) - President Bush warned on Saturday that deadly guerrilla violence in Iraq and Afghanistan could worsen in the coming weeks as the two countries move toward national elections.
But days before he was due to speak to the U.N. General Assembly, Bush used his weekly radio address to challenge international leaders to help the United States "create a safer world" in an effort of common security.

More than 200 Iraqis have been killed in recent days by bombings and other violence that have cast doubt on plans to hold elections in January.

Doubts also surround elections due Oct. 9 in Afghanistan, where U.S.-backed President Hamid Karzai survived an assassination attempt on Thursday.

"Terrorist enemies are trying to stop the progress of both those countries, and their violent and merciless attacks may increase as elections draw near," Bush told radio listeners.

"But all the world can be certain: America and our allies will keep our commitments to the Afghan and Iraqi people."

With his own election contest against Democrat John Kerry entering its final six weeks, the Republican will speak at the United Nations on Tuesday and host a series of meetings with foreign leaders including Karzai, Iraqi Prime Minister Iyad Allawi and Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf.

On Thursday, the president has scheduled a news conference with Allawi in the White House Rose Garden.

"Never in the history of the United Nations have we faced so many opportunities to create a safer world by building a better world," Bush said in his radio address.

"For the sake of our common security, and for the sake of our common values, the international community must rise to this historic moment. And the United States is prepared to lead."

Voters give Bush high poll ratings for leadership on international security issues. But next week's foray onto the international stage comes at a gloomy time for the administration's Iraq policy.

As insurgent attacks escalated, U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan said this week that the March 2003 U.S.-led invasion of Iraq violated international law and cast doubt on whether elections could be held in January.

A classified CIA report, leaked to the media, offered a bleak assessment of Iraq's future with civil war as the worst-case scenario and continued instability as the best.

Another report by U.S. weapons inspector Charles Duelfer concluded that stockpiles of weapons of mass destruction, a main justification for the war, would not be found in Iraq.

RINGLEADER
09-18-2004, 04:49 PM
Too bad you have a candidate that is so indecisive on the issue he can't make any point about Iraq and be taken seriously by the American electorate.

BTW, D-Nise, Bush has been consistent from the beginning that there was danger ahead and that insurgents would mount attacks to try to derail democracy. I don't remember him ever saying it would be easy going forward.

KCWolfman
09-18-2004, 05:05 PM
He states violence will escalate toward elections - which happens in every new Democracy formed.

My God, you are so pathetic you are now looking for inconsistencies when he reports negative aspects as well. You are a pathetic worm.

Patriot 21
09-18-2004, 05:41 PM
You are a pathetic worm.

"Maggot" is easier to type and sounds better. Plus it fits. :thumb:

patteeu
09-18-2004, 05:59 PM
"But all the world can be certain: America and our allies will keep our commitments to the Afghan and Iraqi people."

This is the most important Bush comment in that article. Thanks for posting it memyselfi.

BTW, given JFKerry's <a href="http://www.townhall.com/columnists/charleskrauthammer/ck20040917.shtml">"dizzying inconsistency"</a> on the topic, what will he do if he's elected? Will he (a) pull out our troops, or will he (b) do what needs to be done to win the war because he believes the war can be won, or will he (c) continue to squander our blood and treasure despite believing that the war cannot be won?

Raiderhader
09-18-2004, 06:03 PM
"Maggot" is easier to type and sounds better. Plus it fits. :thumb:

How do you figure? "Maggot" has six letters, "worm" only has four.

Patriot 21
09-18-2004, 06:27 PM
RH, He said "pathetic worm." That's 12 letters. Maggot is much more accurate because it is specific. "Pathetic worm" could mean a lot of things.

2 entries found for maggot.
To select an entry, click on it.
maggotapple maggot

Main Entry: mag·got
Pronunciation: 'ma-g&t
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English mathek, magotte, of Scandinavian origin; akin to Old Norse mathkr maggot; akin to Old English matha maggot
1 : a soft-bodied legless grub, fly larva that feeds off of a host organism.

Raiderhader
09-18-2004, 07:05 PM
RH, He said "pathetic worm." That's 12 letters. Maggot is much more accurate because it is specific. "Pathetic worm" could mean a lot of things.

2 entries found for maggot.
To select an entry, click on it.
maggotapple maggot

Main Entry: mag·got
Pronunciation: 'ma-g&t
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English mathek, magotte, of Scandinavian origin; akin to Old Norse mathkr maggot; akin to Old English matha maggot
1 : a soft-bodied legless grub, fly larva that feeds off of a host organism.

Well hell, I thought you were just subsatuting maggot for worm, not pathetic worm.

In that case you are correct, maggot is easier to type.

As to which is more appropriate, they both work for me.

Hel'n
09-18-2004, 08:54 PM
I hope this article gets lots of play in the media and at the debates!!!!!

Raiderhader
09-18-2004, 09:43 PM

So do I.

BigMeatballDave
09-18-2004, 10:37 PM
I really don't understand what the hell Bush is doing with Iraq! I though for sure everyone there would be driving Beemers and Rolls, by now and asking if we had any Grey Poupon...

Michael Michigan
09-18-2004, 11:33 PM

I thought you wanted Kerry to win.