PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with Notre Dame football?

jspchief
09-18-2004, 06:40 PM
They've been on ESPN twice, and NBC once this year. Three games and all three are nationally televised? Did I miss the memo that said it's "throwback to the 50s when someone gave a sh*t about this team" in the NCAA this year?

Why do these guys have such a boner for a floundering program?

HolmeZz
09-18-2004, 06:47 PM
NBC has a TV deal with Notre Dame, which played a part in the ND's decision to remain independent.

As a Notre Dame fan, I don't have much of a problem with getting to see my team play every week. But it's clear that we get too much publicity. This team isn't very good, and the media overreacted to us beating an overrated Michigan squad last week. I can see why people hate ND, but I think it's mostly the media's fault. This team just isn't very good, and that's why I don't get the hatred for the program. Haven't had a whole lot of success recently. Kinda like hating the Chargers. :p

cdcox
09-18-2004, 06:48 PM
The deal is that ND used to be a perinial powerhouse that every Roman Catholic in the nation could feel a connection to. Most every RC football player in the country would consider ND as their premier school. Religious affiliation no longer plays a central role in many peoples lives, so ND is no longer the recruiting magnet they used to be. Plus ND tries to keep up their academic reputation, which makes it difficult to compete with the Miami's of the world. Definitely old school.

The reason they are still on TV is that they still have a huge and intensely loyal, if aging, fan base. That will probably continue for at least another 25 years.

Skip Towne
09-18-2004, 06:52 PM
The deal is that ND used to be a perinial powerhouse that every Roman Catholic in the nation could feel a connection to. Most every RC football player in the country would consider ND as their premier school. Religious affiliation no longer plays a central role in many peoples lives, so ND is no longer the recruiting magnet they used to be. Plus ND tries to keep up their academic reputation, which makes it difficult to compete with the Miami's of the world. Definitely old school.

The reason they are still on TV is that they still have a huge and intensely loyal, if aging, fan base. That will probably continue for at least another 25 years.
Nice shot at Miami. And richly deserved.

cdcox
09-18-2004, 07:13 PM
Nice shot at Miami. And richly deserved.

Considering that I teach at Tennessee, I probably shouldn't throw stones.

Saulbadguy
09-18-2004, 08:57 PM
Considering that I teach at Tennessee, I probably shouldn't throw stones.
Haha..Go Tee Martin!

Deberg_1990
09-18-2004, 09:07 PM

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. There are alot of older "RICH" ND alumni around the nation that will always help keep this team in the national spotlight. But ND's status that it had back like 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago is a thing of the past.....

jspchief
09-18-2004, 09:08 PM
The thing is, I know NBC carries the games, so why the hell is ESPN wasting time with them?

Deberg_1990
09-18-2004, 09:12 PM
The thing is, I know NBC carries the games, so why the hell is ESPN wasting time with them?

I wouldnt be surprised if someone high up in the ESPN "chain of command" is a Notre Dame Alumni....plus, for better or worse, they are a ratings draw no matter how bad the team is.

tk13
09-18-2004, 09:19 PM
NBC only gets the home games. All the road games are picked up by other networks. I don't think this is anything new, when is the last time a Notre Dame game wasn't really nationally televised? They usually get a game or two on ABC that may have some regional coverage, but I'd bet a lot of the country would still get whatever game ND was in. They're a big name team historically, and they always play other premier programs...

whoman69
09-18-2004, 09:46 PM
The Fighting Irish get a boost not only from Catholics but from Irish across the country. They are perhaps the only team in the country that can claim a national following. They also built up a reputation in the past with very creative scheduling. They are an idependent and can tailor their schedule to winning. They can have top teams like Michigan and USC thrown in making it seem they have a really tough schedule, but they put their cupcake games around them so they can target the big games and come out on top. They can put the big boys in after resting against Navy, Rutgers or whatever cupcake of the times is.

LVNHACK
09-18-2004, 09:48 PM
Haha..Go Tee Martin!

A Gay state fan shouldn't crack on anyone's QB's........

LVNHACK
09-18-2004, 09:50 PM
The Fighting Irish get a boost not only from Catholics but from Irish across the country. They are perhaps the only team in the country that can claim a national following. They also built up a reputation in the past with very creative scheduling. They are an idependent and can tailor their schedule to winning. They can have top teams like Michigan and USC thrown in making it seem they have a really tough schedule, but they put their cupcake games around them so they can target the big games and come out on top. They can put the big boys in after resting against Navy, Rutgers or whatever cupcake of the times is.

BS.... You forgot Miami, FSU,BC,Penn St.....along with Mich, & Mich St. they'll take all comer's will your school....????

Skip Towne
09-18-2004, 09:56 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if someone high up in the ESPN "chain of command" is a Notre Dame Alumni....plus, for better or worse, they are a ratings draw no matter how bad the team is.
Yep. My favorite team is whoever ND is playing that week.

LVNHACK
09-18-2004, 09:58 PM
Yep. My favorite team is whoever ND is playing that week.

STFU & STFD............... :p

HolmeZz
09-18-2004, 11:55 PM

Sat, Sep 4 at Brigham Young
Sat, Sep 11 (17) Michigan
Sat, Sep 18 at Michigan State
Sat, Sep 25 Washington 2:30 pm
Sat, Oct 2 (18) Purdue 2:30 pm
Sat, Oct 9 Stanford 2:30 pm
Sat, Oct 16 at Navy 12:00 pm
Sat, Oct 23 Boston College 2:30 pm
Sat, Nov 6 at (13) Tennessee TBA
Sat, Nov 13 Pittsburgh 1:30 pm
Sat, Nov 27 at (1) USC 8:00 pm

Cupcake City.