PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP SP 2?

Sure-Oz
09-20-2004, 12:16 AM
I did windows update for the first time in awhile and it asked me to DL XP SP 2, isn't there issues with it?

Has anyone dl'ed and had any problems? I am wondering if I should dl and install it or wait. Need some opinions on people who have gotten it or heard anything about it.

OldTownChief
09-20-2004, 12:30 AM
Downloaded it last Friday and have had no problems with anything yet.

Sure-Oz
09-20-2004, 12:37 AM
I heard it was released in early august and is recently now on the website for windows update. I am kinda cautious cause i dont want to **** up my cpu over it if the issues they have had aren't cleared out. I assume it's gotta be ok if its on the update page. I may wait till i get more feedback on here.
EDIT-Well I may take a bite at it when i get time to install it this week, I already created a system restore point on my cpu just incase things **** up, so I can restore it to tonights date and time, where everything is normal *knock on wood*;)

OldTownChief
09-20-2004, 12:59 AM
I heard it was released in early august and is recently now on the website for windows update. I am kinda cautious cause i dont want to **** up my cpu over it if the issues they have had aren't cleared out. I assume it's gotta be ok if its on the update page. I may wait till i get more feedback on here.
EDIT-Well I may take a bite at it when i get time to install it this week, I already created a system restore point on my cpu just incase things **** up, so I can restore it to tonights date and time, where everything is normal *knock on wood*;)

It is discussed some in this thread.
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=98637&page=1&pp=15

XXXshogunXXX
09-20-2004, 02:25 AM
If you're running a wireless connection, dont upgrade to SP2. alot of problems with the security features. It makes it secure to the point where you can't communicate with your router anymore. Save time and keep the stress level down on tech support, dont do it.

digi2fish
09-20-2004, 05:06 AM
I installed it this afternoon
and I turn off its build-in firewall
no problem so far.

stanleychief
09-20-2004, 06:49 AM
If you're running a wireless connection, dont upgrade to SP2. alot of problems with the security features. It makes it secure to the point where you can't communicate with your router anymore. Save time and keep the stress level down on tech support, dont do it.
Just install and turn off the firewall. No big deal. It's more of an issue when you are on a domain and your network admin doesn't know how to search MSDN though ;) I had to go research the problem and show the guy how to fix it. I think it's people like him that are giving SP2 a bad name. The benefits so far have outweighed the drawbacks. MS should have defaulted their optional components to 'no' and saved everyone the hassle.

Bob Dole
09-20-2004, 06:54 AM

Bob Dole isn't experiencing any problems communicating with his SMC router at home. No problems communicating with the Cisco WAPs at the office, either.

KCWolfman
09-20-2004, 06:55 AM
We have three PCs connected wireless and have had no issues.

Actually, if you have a wireless router, you can turn off the firewall anyway, so I don't see why wireless connections should even have issues.

KCWolfman
09-20-2004, 06:56 AM
Just install and turn off the firewall. No big deal. It's more of an issue when you are on a domain and your network admin doesn't know how to search MSDN though ;) I had to go research the problem and show the guy how to fix it. I think it's people like him that are giving SP2 a bad name. The benefits so far have outweighed the drawbacks. MS should have defaulted their optional components to 'no' and saved everyone the hassle.
I have noticed that as well, every time Microsoft brings out an upgrade there is a Howard Dean of computers out there screaming and moaning about nothing.

Boyceofsummer
09-20-2004, 06:58 AM
3 weeks and then POW! DSL connection was gone. I figure the auto update created an issue. Did a system restore back to the pre instalation date. Bill Gates & DV, Stupid. I was duped.

Sure-Oz
09-20-2004, 11:14 AM
Thanks fella's i may give it a try i have asked around at my other boards most havent had issues, good thing i got the system restore set at last nights date just incase it ****s up.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-20-2004, 11:21 AM
only problems i've heard of so far is that it actually slows your system down 7-12% in 85% of the cases monitored, having said that i installed it and it's working flawlessly.

Sure-Oz
09-20-2004, 01:49 PM
Well i installed it, don't notice too much difference except maybe a tad slower but not much, i only got 256mb ram anyway and need to upgrade regardless. I noticed IE has a popupblocker now, i disabled that cause i have google toolbar. Also noticed a window security center that has the firewall enabled etc, it pops up everytime something is trying to mess with the firewall and asks if i want to unblock certain things, which is cool. So far so good...

penguinz
09-20-2004, 01:57 PM
3 weeks and then POW! DSL connection was gone. I figure the auto update created an issue. Did a system restore back to the pre instalation date. Bill Gates & DV, Stupid. I was duped.You could have just gone to add/remove programs and uninstalled SP2. ;)

yunghungwell
09-20-2004, 02:20 PM
Here is what part of an email that I recieved from my company's IT department this morning.

At this time I would recommend that you not download SP2, and I will find some solutions to the problems we have encountered.

If you have already downloaded SP2 and are having some problems accessing internet sites, or pages within internet sites, here are a couple of tips:

Pop-up blocker could definitely restrict you from accessing certain web pages on some internet sites. You can turn the pop-up blocker off by opening Internet Explorer, clicking on Tools, Pop Up Blocker, Pop Up Blocker settings and turn the blocker off.

XP firewall can also be turned off. And if you already have a firewall running on your computer such as Norton Internet Security or the free download Zone Alarm, Windows firewall should be turned off; it's not advisable to run more than one firewall program. In SP2, the XP firewall is located in Control Panel. To get there, click Start, Control Panel. There are two views of Control Panel, Classic and Category. Category view does not show Windows Firewall. When you open Control Panel, if you have a blue window with the heading "Pick a category", you are in Category view. Go to the left-hand panel and click "Switch to Classic View". Classic View will give you all the icons, and one of those should be Windows Firewall. Open that and turn off the firewall.

penguinz
09-20-2004, 02:31 PM
Your IT department should be telling you not to use IE to begin with. And they really should not be telling you to turn off the pop-up blocker.

stanleychief
09-20-2004, 04:29 PM
Well i installed it, don't notice too much difference except maybe a tad slower but not much, i only got 256mb ram anyway and need to upgrade regardless. I noticed IE has a popupblocker now, i disabled that cause i have google toolbar. Also noticed a window security center that has the firewall enabled etc, it pops up everytime something is trying to mess with the firewall and asks if i want to unblock certain things, which is cool. So far so good...
The popup blocker in IE is actually a little better than Google's. Go to Tools->Popup Blocker-> Popup Blocker Settings. You'll find you can control how aggressive it's behavior is, and add sites you wish to allow exceptions to. Also, the same Google trick works (hold CTRL down to temporarily allow popups)

The thing that annoyed me was the damn notice at the top of the browser everytime it blocked a popup. You can turn that off too. All in all it's pretty good really.

Boyceofsummer
09-22-2004, 12:53 AM
You could have just gone to add/remove programs and uninstalled SP2. ;)

That was the first thing I tried.

XXXshogunXXX
09-22-2004, 01:23 AM
maybe for you guys..but ive seen alot of calls with SP2 problems. . maybe its just the average idiot who doesnt know how to handle it.

Rausch
09-22-2004, 01:38 AM
ROFL

digi2fish
09-22-2004, 01:49 AM
update

one of my friend using the same model IBM laptop as mine, installed SP2 days ago and found the performance went suck as hell.

finally she found IBM had announce that the users should not upgrade to SP2 yet due to some driver compatibility problem, now she has to reinstall Windows because SP2 cannot be uninstall.

I was lucky it seems working fine so far, but I have to suggest you guys to hold and wait for a while.

Rausch
09-22-2004, 02:17 AM
update

one of my friend using the same model IBM laptop as mine, installed SP2 days ago and found the performance went suck as hell.

ROFL

Rep....

digi2fish
09-22-2004, 03:36 AM
ROFL

Rep....

thanks
ROFL

Boozer
09-22-2004, 07:32 AM
now she has to reinstall Windows because SP2 cannot be uninstall.

Obviously she has not heard of "System Restore."

OldTownChief
09-22-2004, 08:11 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that if you have a pireted copy of XP (which none of us would), SP2 will find it and disable it. If you are using a beta version with reset5, SP2 will set you on a 30 day activation and uninstall and restore will not help. You will have 30 days to buy winxp, period. If you try to run reset5 with sp2 installed your HD is trash and will need a complete format.

memyselfI
09-22-2004, 09:20 AM
Installed it on my new computer. It had driver issues with some of my hardware and would not shut down or restart but would just lock up. Then tried to uninstall and that worked but it deleted .dlls that linked to the system restore so I was blue screen. HP sent a set of backup disks (which in hindsight was a good thing as they don't provide these unless you have a major tech issue...) and everything was backup and running fine but what a hassle.

HP said they really recommend people NOT upgrade until some of the bugs are worked out. Of course their site says that AFTER their software recommends the update. :hmmm:

Bottom line, I won't 'upgrade' again until they have figured out what evil lurks in the program with knowing Microsoft there are PLENTY. :shake:

digi2fish
09-22-2004, 09:26 AM
Installed it on my new computer. It had driver issues with some of my hardware and would not shut down or restart but would just lock up.

it reminds me the early Windows 95 problem.
10 years, they're still doing the same thing....

:cuss:

Sure-Oz
09-22-2004, 10:33 AM
Installed it on my new computer. It had driver issues with some of my hardware and would not shut down or restart but would just lock up. Then tried to uninstall and that worked but it deleted .dlls that linked to the system restore so I was blue screen. HP sent a set of backup disks (which in hindsight was a good thing as they don't provide these unless you have a major tech issue...) and everything was backup and running fine but what a hassle.

HP said they really recommend people NOT upgrade until some of the bugs are worked out. Of course their site says that AFTER their software recommends the update. :hmmm:

Bottom line, I won't 'upgrade' again until they have figured out what evil lurks in the program with knowing Microsoft there are PLENTY. :shake:
I have an HP and so far teh update has worked just fine. Always make a restore point before installing stuff like that so if it does screw up you can have it how it was.

EDIT-didn't read the blue screen of death part. :banghead:

Lzen
09-22-2004, 11:00 AM
Hmm, I just upgraded last night. Clicked off the firewall this morning and checked to see if I could get on the internet. No problem so far. But I haven't really ran any apps yet.

Sure-Oz
09-22-2004, 11:05 AM
My firewall is enabled, net runs fine, it asks me on certain programs if i want to unblock it from being firewalled, which i like so i can pick and choose at times or totally unblock it.

Lzen
09-22-2004, 11:46 AM
My firewall is enabled, net runs fine, it asks me on certain programs if i want to unblock it from being firewalled, which i like so i can pick and choose at times or totally unblock it.

Well I figure since I run Zone Alarm (and have for awhile now), there is no need to run Windows firewall, too. Besides, they would probably conflict with each other. ZA also asks permission to allow something to access the internet. Or when something from outside tries to access. I was amazed when I first started using it that there were many attempts from outside. Haven't noticed any outside attempts in a long time, though. ;)

Sure-Oz
09-22-2004, 11:50 AM
yEah stick with ZA.

Sure-Oz
09-22-2004, 11:51 AM
yEah stick with ZA.

penguinz
09-22-2004, 11:59 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that if you have a pireted copy of XP (which none of us would), SP2 will find it and disable it. If you are using a beta version with reset5, SP2 will set you on a 30 day activation and uninstall and restore will not help. You will have 30 days to buy winxp, period. If you try to run reset5 with sp2 installed your HD is trash and will need a complete format.This is not true. It will install and run fine on a pirated copy. A little bird told me so.