PDA

View Full Version : Time to worry?

cadmonkey
09-20-2004, 10:23 AM
I am not trying to be a dick, I'm just asking a serious question.

Most of you have said that, with the re-hiring of Gunther, your Defense would be much better. I have yet to see the proof of this. Your run defense has made me feel like I am watching Walter Payton the last two weeks. As good as your Offense is, you can't expect them to put up 40 points per game, even though you easily could.

The reason why I am asking if you are worried yet is because over the off season there were a lot of threads about predicting the Chiefs record this year. Most of you said you would end up either 12-4 or 14-2, some even went as low as saying 10-6, but none of you said anything about losing even one of these first two games.

Are any of you worried about the rest of the seaon, and do you now think Gunther wasn't the answer?

jcroft
09-20-2004, 10:26 AM
Wow, people said we would be 14-2? That's insane.

I said 10-6 from the begining, adn i stand by that. Am I worried? Yeah -- but not about the defense. The defense is about what I expected. It's a bit improved, and should continue to improve, but overall still won't be that good.

The problem is that our offense isn't putting up anywhere near 40 points and doesn't show any signs that it will be any time soon. If the offense gets it's shit together, we should stil lmake the playoffs. If not, we're doomed.

My hunch: around the time of the bye week, the defense will really be coming together. And, about that same time we'll finally get pretty healthy on offense. I say we're 2-2 or 1-3 at the bye, but we come out of it rolling and finish 10-6, 9-7 at the worst.

cadmonkey
09-20-2004, 10:28 AM
My hunch: around the time of the bye week, the defense will really be coming together. And, about that same time we'll finally get pretty healthy on offense. I say we're 2-2 or 1-3 at the bye, but we come out of it rolling and finish 10-6, 9-7 at the worst.

Will 10-6 or 9-7 win you the West?..or are you shooting for a Wild Card. I really can't believe I am even asking this after the second week but as an outside looking in to your Chiefs world, I think its a legitamite question.

Gaz
09-20-2004, 10:29 AM
I think you will find that most of us thought our Defense would be better with Gunther’s ‘tude, but that it would take some time.

As jcroft pointed out, the problem is with our Offense.

xoxo~
Gaz
Did not expect to be worried about the O after two games.

LVNHACK
09-20-2004, 10:29 AM
I don't think most of us thought Gunther was gonna fix everything. Many of us called for other changes also.

TEX
09-20-2004, 10:30 AM
Yep. It's officilly time to worry now. In a few more weeks, it won't matter.

As others have said, I'm more worried about the offense.

KCTitus
09-20-2004, 10:30 AM
You can worry, now, if you want...

Im not going to panic, yet, and hope that things can change and KC can get into the playoffs.

I learned last year, it's not how well you're playing in Sept, but how well you're playing in December that determines your chances in the post season.

Then again, come December, maybe it wont matter...either way, I wont give up hope until KC's mathematically eliminated.

stevieray
09-20-2004, 10:32 AM
only for those who don't believe in our abilities.

TEX
09-20-2004, 10:33 AM
You can worry, now, if you want...

Im not going to panic, yet, and hope that things can change and KC can get into the playoffs.

I learned last year, it's not how well you're playing in Sept, but how well you're playing in December that determines your chances in the post season.

Then again, come December, maybe it wont matter...either way, I wont give up hope until KC's mathematically eliminated.

I agree, and I'm also hoping for the best and won't give up until we're mathematically eliminated - but I am worried. :hmmm:

jcroft
09-20-2004, 10:33 AM
Will 10-6 or 9-7 win you the West?..or are you shooting for a Wild Card. I really can't believe I am even asking this after the second week but as an outside looking in to your Chiefs world, I think its a legitamite question.

I dunno. I think 10-6 would probably win or tie for the West. Hard to say for sure, though.

The Bad Guy
09-20-2004, 11:02 AM
Let me understand this:
The defense gives up over 180 yards a game, squanders 62 points, and the main problem is the OFFENSE?

That's scapegoating at it's finest.

Yes, the offense has sucked, but if the defense could of stopped DeShaun Foster or Quentin Griffin it would be a mute point right now.

King_Chief_Fan
09-20-2004, 11:25 AM
I am not trying to be a dick, I'm just asking a serious question.

Most of you have said that, with the re-hiring of Gunther, your Defense would be much better. I have yet to see the proof of this. Your run defense has made me feel like I am watching Walter Payton the last two weeks. As good as your Offense is, you can't expect them to put up 40 points per game, even though you easily could.

The reason why I am asking if you are worried yet is because over the off season there were a lot of threads about predicting the Chiefs record this year. Most of you said you would end up either 12-4 or 14-2, some even went as low as saying 10-6, but none of you said anything about losing even one of these first two games.

Are any of you worried about the rest of the seaon, and do you now think Gunther wasn't the answer?

Gunther is the answer..........Now, he can say, Dick, you screwed me here and set me up for failure. Get me some D players or I will wreck your name so that no others would dare come and coach for you......Quit your crying and get me some players.

Lzen
09-20-2004, 11:48 AM
I am not trying to be a dick

We know you're not trying. You don't have to try, it just comes naturally to you. :p

To the question at hand, the answer is yes. I'm getting very worried. Frankly, I didn't think the defense would really gel until about midseason. But I did not expect them to look this bad, either. And the offense has resembled nothing even close to the league's top offense over the past 2 years. On the bright side, New England started out 0-2 last year so there is still some hope. Albeit, that's a small hope.
:(

WarCry!
09-20-2004, 11:48 AM
Let me understand this:
The defense gives up over 180 yards a game, squanders 62 points, and the main problem is the OFFENSE?

Yes, the offense has sucked, but if the defense could of stopped DeShaun Foster or Quentin Griffin it would be a mute point right now.

The defense was absolutely the problem in Denver. However, in yesterday's game - our D played OK - not great - but ok for the first half. IF you would have told me before the game that we'd force 6 punts in the game, get 2 interceptions, get 7 defensive points and only give up 7 points by halftime, I'd take it in a heartbeat. IF the O had put up any kind of production on the board going into halftime, this is a different game. Think about it - we've been placing our hope on getting our d to the point that would give our offense some time to build a lead. With a lead, we can play a different defensive game - one that falls right into the mentality of one Gunther Cunningham - attack the QB. Did we blitz much yesterday - NO. COuld we have had we been playing with a lead - hell yes.

The second half is a different story - they both looked like shit.

cadmonkey
09-20-2004, 11:58 AM
New England started out 0-2 last year

We started 0-2 in 2001, 1-1 last year. But your point is made. Unfortunatly, after starting 0-2 we gained Tom brady which was a huge upgrade from Bledsoe at the time. I don't see you turning your season around if Green gets hurt.

Amnorix
09-20-2004, 12:00 PM
On the bright side, New England started out 0-2 last year so there is still some hope. Albeit, that's a small hope.

Started out 0-2 in '01 and had to change QBs to get to the SB.

Last year we were 0-1, then 1-1.

Amnorix
09-20-2004, 12:02 PM
We started 0-2 in 2001, 1-1 last year. But your point is made. Unfortunatly, after starting 0-2 we gained Tom brady which was a huge upgrade from Bledsoe at the time. I don't see you turning your season around if Green gets hurt.

Actually, the rough equivalent for KC would be if Beisel got hurt and they suddenly discovered a backup who was Dick Butkus-like.

KC Jones
09-20-2004, 12:03 PM
but none of you said anything about losing even one of these first two games.

Actually I had us losing these first two games, beating Houston, losing at Baltimore, and still going 10-6. I'm worried but I'll stand by that prediction for now. It could still happen.

HolmeZz
09-20-2004, 12:03 PM
Beisel is a backup. :shake:

jcroft
09-20-2004, 12:04 PM
I had us losing in Denver. I think almost everyone did!

Amnorix
09-20-2004, 12:06 PM
Beisel is a backup. :shake:

Right, but right now he's starting, and it's obviously not working out well for you at all (to say the least), so he goes down and then HIS backup is Butkus-like. It's clear that Beisel and Butkus have nothing in common other than a couple letters in their last name, unfortunately.

cadmonkey
09-20-2004, 12:07 PM
Actually I had us losing these first two games, beating Houston, losing at Baltimore, and still going 10-6. I'm worried but I'll stand by that prediction for now. It could still happen.

Like I said, nobody, and you are a nobody!!!! ROFL :p

HolmeZz
09-20-2004, 12:10 PM
Right, but right now he's starting, and it's obviously not working out well for you at all (to say the least), so he goes down and then HIS backup is Butkus-like. It's clear that Beisel and Butkus have nothing in common other than a couple letters in their last name, unfortunately.

Beisel's been one of our few bright spots on our defense through the first two games.

FloridaChief
09-20-2004, 12:11 PM
Beisel's been one of our few bright spots on our defense through the first two games.

ROFL

KC Kings
09-20-2004, 12:15 PM
I will not declare the team as imploded, but I am worried. How can anyone not be worried when we couldn't out score the Panthers at home, but in the next three weeks we have to play at Baltimore and at Jacksonville.

Hopefully we will let Priest run the ball more than 16 times and we will come out of Jacksonville at 3-2, but if we continue to play the same game we are playing now, we could very easily be 1-5.

HolmeZz
09-20-2004, 12:19 PM
ROFL

Yeah, that's not a very good sign. At all.

He didn't play well yesterday, but he played above expectations against Denver, so I can't hate on him.

nmt1
09-20-2004, 12:22 PM
I'm not worried. Someone told me the season was over back when Carl and Dick were on vacation during the first week of free agency.

KC Kings
09-20-2004, 12:26 PM
Let me understand this:

You need to realize that these are two of the NFL's finest young stud running backs. Did any of you see what the "Barry Sanders like" Griffen did to the Jags this week? 25 carries for 66 yards, definately pro-bowl numbers. The Chiefs have just been cursed with having to face 2 of the NFL's finest in their first weeks of play.

See you guys later, I need to go modify my FFL teams to start Dominic Davis to keep my undefeated status alive!

jspchief
09-20-2004, 12:34 PM
How'd that series against the Yankees go?

OldTownChief
09-20-2004, 12:36 PM
New England started out 0-2 last year so there is still some hope. Albeit, that's a small hope.

New England didn't start 0-2 last year and no compairison between the two teams.

FloridaChief
09-20-2004, 12:38 PM
He didn't play well yesterday

You could say that. You could also say that Beisel didn't belong anywhere near an NFL football field yesterday.

Both would be correct.

Chief Roundup
09-20-2004, 12:42 PM
Anyone who is not worried is insane.
Our chances of making it to and or winninng the SB with an 0-2 start are very bleak.
Other than the Pats when was the last time a team started 0-2 and went to the Bowl and won?
I felt as though our "season" was on the line with yesterdays game and we looked flat and very unmotivated. That includes our coaching staff. This season is about winning the SB anything short of that is 100% failure.
The only good thing that I seen was Browning looked like twice the end that Holliday has shown. I doubt that Holliday will be getting his payday from us.

HolmeZz
09-20-2004, 12:46 PM
You could say that. You could also say that Beisel didn't belong anywhere near an NFL football field yesterday.

Both would be correct.

Our whole defense doesn't belong near an NFL football field either though, in all honesty.

cadmonkey
09-20-2004, 12:52 PM
How'd that series against the Yankees go?

Oh hey, someone brought an azzhole :cuss: It went just fine, we are just lulling them into thinking they can kill us.......then the playoffs come around and POW............they do it again.

FloridaChief
09-20-2004, 12:55 PM
Our whole defense doesn't belong near an NFL football field either though, in all honesty.

Eric Warfield did. Lionel Dalton did. That's about it.

jspchief
09-20-2004, 12:55 PM
Sorry, wasn't trying to be a dick....

Ghostof
09-20-2004, 12:57 PM
My Conspiracy Theory is DV retiring after this year and everyone knows about it, thats why both offense and defense is playing shitty.

I also think Carl P. has a side bet with DV and Gunther concerning which side of the line is going to be last in the NFL this year. Winner chooses the draft and free agency players next year. Since DV will be retiring, as my above theory states, DV will just make a clause in the bet stating the Chiefs will give the Raiders the next 3 years worth of draft picks for Jerry Rice.

Lzen
09-20-2004, 12:59 PM
New England started out 0-2 last year so there is still some hope. Albeit, that's a small hope.
Ok, I've been corrected on this 3 times now. Thanks. :banghead: So it was in 2001. How about the Cowboys in the 90s? I know someone will probably try and point out that Emmit Smith was holding out for more money. Uggh. I'm just trying to find a silver lining .

HolmeZz
09-20-2004, 12:59 PM
Eric Warfield did. Lionel Dalton did. That's about it.

Agreed. I guess I'm just being a little homer-loyal to Beisel. I really liked his play in Denver.

cadmonkey
09-20-2004, 01:55 PM
Sorry, wasn't trying to be a dick....

ROFL Touche!

tk13
09-20-2004, 02:06 PM
My Conspiracy Theory is DV retiring after this year and everyone knows about it, thats why both offense and defense is playing shitty.

I also think Carl P. has a side bet with DV and Gunther concerning which side of the line is going to be last in the NFL this year. Winner chooses the draft and free agency players next year. Since DV will be retiring, as my above theory states, DV will just make a clause in the bet stating the Chiefs will give the Raiders the next 3 years worth of draft picks for Jerry Rice.
I think we have a two year window, and we've planned for a two year window... I thought that back in the spring when we really hadn't made any FA moves and we made the decision to see what we have in defensive draft picks. We separate the good from the bad, and next offseason hit the FA market again to fill those holes...

Tuckdaddy
09-20-2004, 02:18 PM
Yes we should worry. The injury bug has hit us hard on our precious offense.