PDA

View Full Version : How much would you invest to buy the Chiefs?

cdcox
09-20-2004, 11:43 AM
Suppose the Chiefs went up for sale. Say a fan group was organized to purchase the team. Built into the constitution of the group was a “bill of rights” type clause that allowed up to 5% return of the initial investment in the team to be returned to the investors, but that all other profits went into an cash account for whose purpose was to improve the on-field performance of the team. Additionally, up to 20% of the cash account could be distributed to share holders in the event of a Super Bowl win.

You pay for season tickets and parking just like everyone else. Prices and priority for who gets the tickets would be determined by the owner group.

Eligibility for ownership would require proof of sustained fanaticism. Shares could only be traded through the fan organization and would revert to the organization. Provisions might be made to transfer ownership to qualified heirs, upon proof of their fandom. Shareholders would have a vote in team operations in proportion to their ownership. The fans would not control the day-to-day operation of the team, but would have voting rights as to retaining GM, head coaches, etc. We need to have real football people in charge of the team. Maybe we could also control the #1 draft choice each year. Ownership tasks requiring detailed input (attendance at league meetings, search committees for new GM, head coach, etc) would be carried out by committees elected by from shareholders by shareholders.

Chiefs Planet or a similar BB would be used for the vetting of ideas, determining who would best represent us, providing guidance to our hirelings, etc. Many more details to work out, but you get the idea. A fan-owned and operated team dedicated to putting a winning product on the field.

Could it work? If so, how much would you invest? Assume you had a year to garner the $.

grandllama
09-20-2004, 11:50 AM
I'll buy any franchise for $99.99!

jspchief
09-20-2004, 11:54 AM
Ignoring all of the logistical nightmares of who gets to be the committe or "rooster", and all the flaws that could pick the idea apart...
I would invest every dime I had. If the 5% return was based on monetary performance of the organization, it would be no worse than any other low-risk invesment.

cdcox
09-20-2004, 11:58 AM
Ignoring all of the logistical nightmares of who gets to be the committe or "rooster", and all the flaws that could pick the idea apart...
I would invest every dime I had. If the 5% return was based on monetary performance of the organization, it would be no worse than any other low-risk invesment.

Investment is not compounded. You put in $10K, you get at most $500/year dividend until you cash out and get your $10K back, unless they win the Super Bowl. This is about winning, not making money.

R&GHomer
09-20-2004, 12:00 PM
I'll buy any franchise for $99.99!

Dude; your avatar is just plain wrong. :Lin:

BigRedChief
09-20-2004, 12:38 PM
This thread is worthless without a "Gaz" option.

Raiderhader
09-20-2004, 12:42 PM
Bah! Screw this group ownership thing, I want full ownership and full say in what takes place with my team.