PDA

View Full Version : Carter: Perplexed Chiefs try to make sense of troubles

tk13
09-21-2004, 01:09 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/9716263.htm

Perplexed Chiefs try to make sense of troubles

By IVAN CARTER The Kansas City Star

The sun came up Monday morning, and a frustrated group of Chiefs returned to work at One Arrowhead Drive with a single goal in mind: Shake off the effects of Sunday's 28-17 home loss to Carolina and get ready for this Sunday's home game against the 0-2 Houston Texans.

“If I were one of you guys right now,” linebacker Shawn Barber told a group of reporters, “I'd want to know: ‘What are the Kansas City Chiefs going to do to beat the Houston Texans on Sunday?' ”

Barber's answer: “We have to play 60 minutes of football.”

If only it were that easy.

The Chiefs have been plagued by a laundry list of breakdowns in falling to 0-2 for the first time since the 2001 season: a lack of rhythm on offense, untimely penalties, poor tackling and a habit of giving up the big run.

Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil certainly was at a loss for words after Sunday's game. Vermeil uncharacteristically questioned his own decision to pass on going for it on fourth and 1 in the second quarter and seemed perplexed by his offense's inability to put more points on the board.

Noting that the Chiefs' offense produced 10 points Sunday, Vermeil asked: “When was the last time this offense did that?”

Vermeil was still questioning himself Monday.

“I've won games because I went for it (on fourth down), and I've lost games because I went for it,” Vermeil said. “I think I made a mistake. I should have more confidence in my offensive line to go get 1 yard.”

A year after finishing third among all NFL teams with 131 fourth-quarter points, the Chiefs have been outscored 24-0 in the fourth this season. Things won't get easier on offense if running back Priest Holmes is unable to play Sunday against a Houston team that has allowed 216 yards rushing in games against San Diego and Detroit.

Vermeil has been 0-2 just three times in 13 previous seasons as an NFL head coach. In each instance — in 1978 with the Eagles, in 1998 with the Rams and in 2001 with the Chiefs — his team bounced back and won game three.

His '78 Eagles won three straight after their 0-2 start and made the playoffs as a wild-card team.

But, as Vermeil pointed out Monday, the difference between this team and Vermeil's previous 0-2 squads is that those teams were still building toward a championship. This team is supposed to be seriously pursuing one.

“We were 0-2 in 2001 and then won big at (Washington),” Vermeil said. “But our expectations are so much higher now, so it hurts a little more.”

When the Chiefs lost their second game on Dec. 7 last season, the finger of blame pointed directly at a defense that had been torched by Denver's Clinton Portis. This season's second loss came far earlier, and the blame can be spread all over the team.

“The frustrating thing about it is that you can't just point a finger at one area and say: ‘This is what's hurting us,' ” cornerback Dexter McCleon said. “We're giving up the big run. We're getting penalties at bad times. We're missing tackles. We're dropping passes. It's just a whole bunch of little things that are preventing us from winning.”

Vermeil has been especially frustrated with the fact that his team has been penalized 17 times for 158 yards through two games, while the Chiefs' opponents, Denver and Carolina, were penalized 10 times for 86 yards.

The Chiefs were flagged 11 times for 94 yards through two games last season and were the NFL's least-penalized team in 2002 and 2003.

Vermeil makes a point of bringing referees into training camp so his players adjust to being seen by extra sets of eyes, and he abhors the kind of nitpicky penalties that have hurt his team in critical situations against Denver and Carolina.

Also missing are the kinds of game-changing kick and punt returns by Pro Bowler Dante Hall. Hall's longest punt return has covered 26 yards and longest kick return covered 21 yards.

But according to special-teams ace Gary Stills, the difference between this season's 0-2 start and last season's 2-0 start is not that great.

“It's a metaphor for our whole team,” Stills said of the return game. “It's not like we're seeing a total scheme breakdown. It's one missed block here or one missed block there that is keeping Dante from breaking one. I think we're seeing the same thing on defense and offense. Missed tackles. Dropped passes. A missed block. In the NFL, the difference between winning and losing is this (Stills pinches his thumb and forefinger together). We have to execute better.”

J Diddy
09-21-2004, 06:55 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/9716263.htm

“The frustrating thing about it is that you can't just point a finger at one area and say: ‘This is what's hurting us,' ” cornerback Dexter McCleon said. “We're giving up the big run. We're getting penalties at bad times. We're missing tackles. We're dropping passes. It's just a whole bunch of little things that are preventing us from winning.”

what happened to we're not even in the same timezone when covering a receiver.

TEX
09-21-2004, 07:44 AM
What happened is we stood pat this past off season, while everyone else didn't...

We're doing a typical nose-dive following a 13-3 season. We had a cushy schedule last year and our success gave the coaching staff and front office a false sense of security. As a result, the plan was to "maintain" as a way of improving and keep the players we had rather than "obtain" new players for improvement. Pretty simple, so we are where we are... :shake:

Gaz
09-21-2004, 08:05 AM
We seem to be cursed this season, don’t we?

After last season’s rash of miraculous events, we were due.

xoxo~
Gaz
Enduring the wrath of the Football Gods.

Chan93lx50
09-21-2004, 08:10 AM
But Gaz why must them God pick on us! We were lucky only one year.

The Pats have been lucky that last 4 years, have them pick on them damn it

Gaz
09-21-2004, 08:19 AM
According to most of the myths, the gods are notoriously fickle.

The Patriots are apparently sacrificing more than their fair share of goats.

xoxo~
Gaz
Hopes the Football Gods pick on someone else soon.

Chan93lx50
09-21-2004, 08:35 AM
Hmmmm, I am going to become a goat hearder and ship my goats to Arrowhead then

KHinz57
09-21-2004, 10:08 AM
Here's an idea ... cut Eric Hicks!

Rausch
09-21-2004, 10:12 AM
We seem to be cursed this season, don’t we?

After last season’s rash of miraculous events, we were due.

I'd argue that after the last 30 years we're due for the promised land, not for the flood...

tk13
09-21-2004, 04:26 PM
What happened is we stood pat this past off season, while everyone else didn't...

We're doing a typical nose-dive following a 13-3 season. We had a cushy schedule last year and our success gave the coaching staff and front office a false sense of security. As a result, the plan was to "maintain" as a way of improving and keep the players we had rather than "obtain" new players for improvement. Pretty simple, so we are where we are... :shake:
We totally sold out on the FA market in 1998.... totally dove into it head first and flopped. We've done it both ways, trying to improve from within and through free agency.... it doesn't matter how you do it, both will work, but you have to do it well...

whoman69
09-21-2004, 05:13 PM

We signed 3 FAs last year and it didn't help. Only thing they usually do is provide a quick cap hit and a quicker exit. The only player I wish we had gotten in the last two years was Takeo Spikes, but he was alot more expensive than Barber.

TEX
09-21-2004, 07:23 PM
We signed 3 FAs last year and it didn't help. Only thing they usually do is provide a quick cap hit and a quicker exit. The only player I wish we had gotten in the last two years was Takeo Spikes, but he was alot more expensive than Barber.

That's not true at all with regards to free agents. There are just as many good ones as there are bad ones. It's up to the team to target them and decide how much to spend. The key is to get them with upside. You forget that Priest was a free agent.

P.S. Are you sure that Spikes was "alot" more than Barber? :hmmm:

TEX
09-29-2004, 05:59 PM
We totally sold out on the FA market in 1998.... totally dove into it head first and flopped. We've done it both ways, trying to improve from within and through free agency.... it doesn't matter how you do it, both will work, but you have to do it well...

Yep.

philfree
09-29-2004, 06:43 PM
Perplexed Chiefs try to make sense of troubles

I don't think they're perplexed. I think they know exactly what's caused the losses. They may not have a ready mix fix but they know what's going on.

PhilFree :arrow:

Count Zarth
09-29-2004, 06:48 PM
We signed average to crappy free agents.

Holliday - bust
McCleon - OK, sucks against anyone taller than 6 feet
Barber - OK, sucks against the run

This offseason JEVON FREAKING KEARSE was available.