PDA

View Full Version : kcchiefs.com:The Dick Vermeil Show (Longish)

FloridaChief
09-21-2004, 08:55 AM
The Dick Vermeil Show (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/09/21/the_dick_vermeil_show/)
Sep 21, 2004, 8:47:08 AM

KCFX-FM

Show highlights

“It’s win now. It’s an impatient world. We work that way and coach that way.”

BOB GRETZ: What were your conclusions after watching the tape of yesterday’s game?

DICK VERMEIL: “It wasn’t good enough to win, first. But there were some things I really liked about the defense. I feel we’re growing and getting better. I think it’s boiling down now to eliminating the one bad, big play. Also, tidying up that third down coversion problem. For example, on that long drive in the third quarter where they had many third down situations we were close but not close enough. Overall, they were…..they had one 17 yard gain and then they had nine negative plays. We were playing without Vonnie Holliday and Greg Wesley, but I thought Lional Dalton played real well starting as a defensive tackle. Of course, John Browning plays well on every play. Overall, I think I saw Monty Beisel growing; I saw Eric Warfield play his best game.

“Offensively, we had a great opening drive and I elected to go with a field goal and not a touchdown. If I had it to do over again now and knew we were going to lose by 11 I’d go back and do it different. Sometimes your experience is an enemy because you’ve been through those situations many times and had some of those things explode in your face. As I told the squad today, I felt I let them down. I’ll rethink those things again.

“It’s win now. It’s an impatient world. We work that way and coach that way. We’re not as good as we ought to be and that starts with me right on down. Last year I was pretty smart this time. When you win nine straight you’re a genius. As you start losing you come right back down to earth. But we’re the same coaches, but there’s some things we have to do better and some things our players have to do better. It’s our responsibility.

“Right now we’re playing better teams. It’s amazing to me when they say how do you stop that great offense and that running back? Then all of a sudden they beat you and they say they’re not any good. (Carolina) was four points away from being the world champion last year. It’s still no excuse, but the two teams we played so far are better than the first two teams we played last year at the same time.”

“We are behind where I thought we’d be.”

HOLTHUS: How big a challenge do you face now?

VERMEIL: “Every practice is a challenge because you try to organize a good practice and you’ve got this guy hurt, this guy banged up. Last year we had fewer injuries and only one team had fewer starters miss a ball game. So, it goes in streaks. We’ve got to keep going and not lose faith that we’re going to end up being a good football team. We are behind where I thought we would be. That’s all there is to it. I had my concerns coming out of training camp and I still have them.”

GRETZ: The number one topic among fans today is the health of Priest Holmes.

VERMEIL: “He has a slightly sprained ankle. I just talked to the doctor 10 minutes ago. There’s nothing serious and he felt better tonight than he did this morning. They had him on crutches but he walked out of the doctor’s office. He’s lucky he didn’t hurt the knee because he did get bent over backwards. It was scary looking on video tape. But I talked to him on the field and asked him if he was OK and he said he was. Then I talked to him in the locker room and he said he was OK. But some of the soreness developed overnight.”

GRETZ: Was that why he was not in the game the last part of the fourth quarter?

VERMEIL: “No. That was a little bit of it, but mainly because I think Derrick Blaylock can do some of those things and the game was at a place where we were going to do those things: throwing the ball, pass protection, and getting out (in the open field). Derrick Blaylock can do a very secure job at that.”

MITCH HOLTHUS: In the past two games, Priest in the passing game has five catches for 14 yards. The screen and short passing game with Priest has been so effective for three years, but not so this year.

VERMEIL: “It’s a combination of not getting it checked down to him and not using it. We’ve got to get back into it and (offensive coordinator) Al (Saunders) and I were talking about that today. Sometimes you get away from things, but not purposely. You just throw it to other areas. There were a couple of times in the ball game where we could have checked the ball down to him. For one reason or another we didn’t get into those things. Part of it was because we didn’t have the ball much in the third quarter.”

HOLTHUS: Wide receivers in the blocking scheme: how long does it take for a wide receiver to become a blocker? What about blocking from a wide receiver in the run game?

VERMEIL: “We require them to do it and they make a real good effort. They’re not real big physical guys, but they can do an adequate job and Dante Hall does a real good job because he’s so tough. Johnnie Morton can and so can Eddie (Kennison). But we lost Eddie. Sometimes receivers tend to glide into a blocking assignment because the ball’s going the other way and they don’t know when all of a sudden that ball’s coming back their way. It takes great discipline and a real good frame of mind. Overall, I think our wide receivers do as good a job or better job of blocking.”

GRETZ: Based on the news you got 10 minutes ago from the doctor, are you confident that Priest will be able to play Sunday or is it too early to tell?

VERMEIL: “I think it’s too early to tell. I’m concerned, but I’m more concerned about Eddie Kennison because I think he’s doubtful. We’re down now to three healthy receivers. We have Parker but he’s been hurt the whole time he’s been here. He’s a track man playing football and he’s no good to us right now.”

GRETZ: It’s been reported that Eric Warfield had some problems last night after the game. What do you know about Eric’s situation right now?

VERMEIL: “Know that he was stopped and know that our organization is on top of it. I haven’t met with Eric myself to get the details. He was in the squad meeting today but I didn’t know about it. He was stopped for speeding and…. It’s a problem and a mistake.”

GRETZ: Is this one of those situations where you will allow the whole process to take its course? There’s no action you’ll take this week?

VERMEIL: “No.”

On when the defense will get better:

VERMEIL: “First off, the defense improved tremendously last year. We won 13 games and lost three and had a few bad games, no question. Just like Indianapolis had bad games. But our defense improved a lot. Our defense will end up this year better than it was last year.

“Right now our problem is getting complete discipline on every snap for 65 snaps. We broke down one time and again on the long run which was the worst play of the game for us. It was really the only real terrible play. We had one other play for 17 yards. Then on third down conversions in the third quarter they had three of eight yards or less that they converted on us. We have to improve that.

“But overall in studying the game tapes as I did in detail with the defensive staff today I’d say they’re improving a lot. It really is just getting into the discipline of our defensive scheme and doing the fundamentals. They haven’t proved it yet but they are better than they were.

“Offensively, we’re not as good as we were right now. We’re not as consistent, but we’ve also played better defensive teams the first two games of the year than we did last year. I have to keep those things in mind.

“Obviously, everything I can say to you doesn’t mean anything until we see the end results. I believe you will see the defense keep getting better. We had nine negative rushing plays yesterday. We have 17 on the year already. We had only 40 the whole year last year. So, we’re getting firmer in stopping the overall running game better. But we still have to stop the big run and that play could have easily been stopped with proper execution.

“We were pleased with Lional Dalton’s play. He played better than he had played in the pre-season at that position. Played with great effort and what it does is increase our depth and flexibility with our defensive line. John Browning always plays well.”

On where the team stands now at the linebacker position:

VERMEIL: “First, we expected Mike Maslowski to be back. We were never told he wasn’t going to play. OK. We expected him to be back before the season ended last year. We were never told he was out for the year. You’re not always right when you go into those medical things. Much to our disappointment he didn’t make it back last year and much to our disappointment he didn’t make it back this year. He is an experienced solidifier of a defense. He can keep schemes together up front and keep everybody focused.

“Monty Beisel has been playing in place of Kawika Mitchell and he’s been getting better every week. Does he make a mistake once in a while? Yeah. All middle linebackers do. He’s going to be a real good player. Kawika will be worked back in there some but we don’t know where he is in terms of ahead of Beisel or behind him right now? We haven’t seen him play, but we plan to work him back into our game plan and let him compete.

“Both of those young linebackers will be good football players and are right now if they have to play.”

HOLTHUS: One of the things that has to be maddening is 17 penalties in two weeks. Yesterday, they came at the critical times: unsportsmanlike after the interception return, the hold on Johnnie Morton. The wrong time and uncharacteristic of your team.

VERMEIL: “We’ve been the least penalized team over the last two years. All of a sudden we get these things. Dexter (McCleon) taking his helmet off and that celebration in the endzone. I looked at it on film and I say, my God. You look up and you see some guy hit a guy in the back or hold and there’s no penalty and they call something like that. We know now that it’s against the rules. When they came in here with the original video (the celebration that took place) was not shown as being against the rule. We called the league office about it this morning and they said, yes, you’re right. But it was in the second video and two guys jumped in the stands. But Scott Fujita didn’t jump in the stands, he jumped up to high five Eric Warfield as he was coming back down. Eric Hicks didn’t jump up. Now there’s a violent act (sarcastically) of enthusiasm.

“The holding penalty on Johnnie Morton? If I showed it to you you’d puke. It was absolutely ridiculous when you see what goes on under the microscope. The guy Johnnie was blocking, well, he reached around with both hands on Johnnie and threw him out of the way. It looked like to the official 25 yards away – not 10 yards away – that Johnnie Morton threw him. It was the other way around.”

On the defense’s tackling:

VERMEIL: “Some teams are better tackling teams than others and right now we’ve missed a few in critical situations and we’ve made some. You can never work on tackling too much and you can never be too good at it.”

On putting the defensive coordinator back on the field during the game:

VERMEIL: “It’s much easier calling a defense from the press box when you’re looking down on everything. There are fewer distractions. It’s where (Gunther Cunningham) likes to work. Greg Robinson liked to work from the field. But I would prefer him to be up in the box and I don’t think we are having any problem with the intensity with which they play. They just didn’t play well enough with some breakdowns and missed tackles. If we do better offensively, we’ll help our defense too.”

On fan support during the Carolina game:

VERMEIL: “I told our players before the game that we can appreciate our fans but they don’t block and tackle. We have to do those things on our own. We don’t have to look outside ourselves for help. We’ve got to get the job done.

“They did get quiet that second half, no question. Some of them disappeared quickly the second half. But they’re great fans but I would have appreciated them staying longer because we’re capable of coming back and winning tight ball games. We’ve done it before.”

On the effects of sports talk radio: VERMEIL: “I don’t read or listen (to the media). If it doesn’t make a difference in winning and losing then I don’t read it or listen to it. Those people have a job to do. They’re professional and have their own approaches and, as far as I’m concerned, they can do and say whatever they want to say.

“Rhonda’s approach in the locker room (following the Carolina game) I understand really, really upset Eric Hicks. You’re talking to a guy about something close to him like his teammates and why this organization didn’t bring in defensive players. He’s a loyal, hard-working, wonderful human being. A lot of people don’t understand that part of life and that part of the locker room, and the kind of commitment these guys have to each other and to the organization.

“I wish they wouldn’t approach a player on those matters. I’ve answered that question for Rhonda maybe three to five times, but people don’t want to believe you when you want to tell them the truth. That’s all there is to it. I’ve learned that. You’re better off lying to them and giving them some baloney answer.”

Bowser
09-21-2004, 09:28 AM
It seems like Vermeil gives honest answers, and that is one of the guys strengths, and why he appeals to so many. I just can't decide if that is what he is doing or if he is a master bullshitter.

Lzen
09-21-2004, 09:29 AM
The Dick Vermeil Show (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/09/21/the_dick_vermeil_show/)
“I wish they wouldn’t approach a player on those matters. I’ve answered that question for Rhonda maybe three to five times, but people don’t want to believe you when you want to tell them the truth. That’s all there is to it. I’ve learned that. You’re better off lying to them and giving them some baloney answer.”

Ding ding ding ding!!

BigRedChief
09-21-2004, 09:33 AM
Note to DV. If you are giving them a BS or baloney answer you are also giving it to us fans...

J Diddy
09-21-2004, 09:34 AM
He would have appreciated fans sticking around longer..... 4321

I stayed to the final gun, sun burnt to a crisp, cheered my ass off the entire 3rd quarter trying to do my part to lift the d up. Didn't change a thing except make my throat sore.

Every time they looked like they had a stop they turned right around and give up another first down.

The long run by foster knocked the wind out of me.

Bowser
09-21-2004, 09:36 AM
He would have appreciated fans sticking around longer.....

And I would have appreciated my team playing like they have a pair.

J Diddy
09-21-2004, 09:38 AM
And I would have appreciated my team playing like they have a pair.

They played like they had a pair.......

of breasts.

Gaz
09-21-2004, 12:49 PM
I wonder, do you think the Referees will look at film and say:
“Gosh, we sure missed that call. We need to do better next game.”

Or is it more likely to be:
“Vermeil bashed us in public. I guess we need to pay more attention to his linemen’s hands.”

xoxo~
Gaz
Agrees with DV on the Refs, but has to wonder about calling the out like that.

Straight, No Chaser
09-21-2004, 02:07 PM

On the effects of sports talk radio: VERMEIL: “I don’t read or listen (to the media). If it doesn’t make a difference in winning and losing then I don’t read it or listen to it. Those people have a job to do. They’re professional and have their own approaches and, as far as I’m concerned, they can do and say whatever they want to say.

“Rhonda’s approach in the locker room (following the Carolina game) I understand really, really upset Eric Hicks. You’re talking to a guy about something close to him like his teammates and why this organization didn’t bring in defensive players. He’s a loyal, hard-working, wonderful human being. A lot of people don’t understand that part of life and that part of the locker room, and the kind of commitment these guys have to each other and to the organization.

Dick's quote in the last paragraph is so true.

Sometimes if you're to nice to people, tell the truth and offer a speck of sincerity they can't handle it and end up hanging themselves. Maybe it's called "killing with kindness."
Whatever, it's good to see DV isn't melting... :thumb:

---->

J Diddy
09-21-2004, 02:11 PM
I wonder, do you think the Referees will look at film and say:
“Gosh, we sure missed that call. We need to do better next game.”

Or is it more likely to be:
“Vermeil bashed us in public. I guess we need to pay more attention to his linemen’s hands.”

xoxo~
Gaz
Agrees with DV on the Refs, but has to wonder about calling the out like that.

true, how true

I remember however shanarat doing that before the 2nd denver game last year and it did have an impact.

My only thinking is how smart is it to give his team an excuse to lose.
He's throwing "the refs screwed us" out there. What happens if the players start reacting like none of this their fault.....

tk13
09-21-2004, 02:22 PM
They were just talking about this on the Dan Patrick show... not being honest with the media that is. Salisbury was on there talking about the situation in Pittsburgh where Alan Faneca (O-lineman) said he wasn't all that excited about having to block for a rookie QB this week. Salisbury went on to say that there are plenty of times where coaches and players need to "stretch the truth" and keep their laundry and criticism's in-house. I couldn't help but think of this place when he said that.... :)

Then again, I couldn't give two flying you-know-what's what DV says in the media about that stuff, I've never, ever, understood everybody's fascination with the idea that a coach should lay it all out on the table and be 100% honest about everything.... and if he doesn't we have big long threads bashing him and calling him a liar and misleader. I just don't know where that happens, at any level... I mean even I went to a dinky small high school of 300 kids in the middle of nowhere, and the coaches of most sports teams were a lot nicer in talking about their players to the media and newspapers than they were in practice. When we had an awful basketball game, the coach was usually pretty easy-going in the newspaper and radio about it, but you could bet your ass that come Monday, we were all in deep doo-doo when practice started. I guess that's why I don't give a crap what DV says, because I'm pretty sure he didn't bring milk & cookies to practice today.

ChiefsOne
09-21-2004, 02:32 PM
Very true TK13!

Would everybody be happier if DV came out and said, "we are in for a long season, I was wrong, our Defense still sucks and we will have to address it next year. We have no WR's, so expect the same, everyone keying on Tony and Priest and we aren't going to be near the same as last year. They have figured out how to stop Dante and he will be lucky to run two back all year."

Then everyone would be pissed off and say Dick is not leading our team, we don't suck that bad. He should stand behind our players!

ChiefsOne
09-21-2004, 02:33 PM
DV is doing the right thing, standing behind the team and saying we will do our best and work through this!

go bowe
09-21-2004, 02:41 PM
They were just talking about this on the Dan Patrick show... not being honest with the media that is. Salisbury was on there talking about the situation in Pittsburgh where Alan Faneca (O-lineman) said he wasn't all that excited about having to block for a rookie QB this week. Salisbury went on to say that there are plenty of times where coaches and players need to "stretch the truth" and keep their laundry and criticism's in-house. I couldn't help but think of this place when he said that.... :)

Then again, I couldn't give two flying you-know-what's what DV says in the media about that stuff, I've never, ever, understood everybody's fascination with the idea that a coach should lay it all out on the table and be 100% honest about everything.... and if he doesn't we have big long threads bashing him and calling him a liar and misleader. I just don't know where that happens, at any level... I mean even I went to a dinky small high school of 300 kids in the middle of nowhere, and the coaches of most sports teams were a lot nicer in talking about their players to the media and newspapers than they were in practice. When we had an awful basketball game, the coach was usually pretty easy-going in the newspaper and radio about it, but you could bet your ass that come Monday, we were all in deep doo-doo when practice started. I guess that's why I don't give a crap what DV says, because I'm pretty sure he didn't bring milk & cookies to practice today.no milk and cookies???

what is the world coming to?

go bowe
09-21-2004, 02:43 PM
Very true TK13!

Would everybody be happier if DV came out and said, "we are in for a long season, I was wrong, our Defense still sucks and we will have to address it next year. We have no WR's, so expect the same, everyone keying on Tony and Priest and we aren't going to be near the same as last year. They have figured out how to stop Dante and he will be lucky to run two back all year."

Then everyone would be pissed off and say Dick is not leading our team, we don't suck that bad. He should stand behind our players!have you been talking to vlad??