PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Trade Thoughts - Need to hear from the masses

Mile High Mania
09-21-2004, 02:18 PM
Ok, let's all take our minds away from our respective teams playing like hell in week 2 and give me some thoughts on a pending trade.

I have been struck down by injuries and bye weeks. Normally, I draft with bye weeks in mind, but I strayed from that this season for whatever reasons - mainly I couldn't pass up a few certain players when they fell to me. Anyway, please give me your thoughts.

As it is today, here are our rosters:

My team
QBs - Pennington (bye); Brady (bye); Maddox (dead)
RBs - Davis/Foster (bye); Faulk; Henry(bye)
WRs - Holt; L Coles; A Bryant; M Clayton; N Burleson; T Calico

His team
QBs - McNabb; A Brooks; E Manning
RBs - C Dillon; T Jones; Griffin/Bell
WRs - M Harrison; C Chambers; D Stallworth; Kevin Johnson; B Lloyd; Crumpler

I have issues at RB and QB for week 3.

The trade on the table looks like this -
Tom Brady (bye)/ Foster - Davis (bye) / A Bryant
for
A Brooks/ Griffin - Bell / Stallworth

My main goal is to not have to pick through the FA wire for starters this week. Brooks and Stallworth vs the Rams could be huge, as would Griffin vs the Bolts.

I'm downgrading my depth at QB, but not too terribly bad - if Pennington stays healthy, he's done with his bye and I'm set.

At WR, I like Stallworth as my #3 better than Bryant.

At RB, Griffin - Bell are a great play this week and going forward, they should be consistent. Once Davis is healthy, there could be fantasy headache galore for the owner of that duo.

So... what do you think?

Iowanian
09-21-2004, 02:23 PM
I think I'd prefer to cut Maddox and pick up a 1 week answer at RB in someone like Stecker, and let loose a WR like Calico and pick up a FA starting QB with the weakest opposing D.

Its not a horrible trade, but I think in the long run.....its not the best for your team.

Mile High Mania
09-21-2004, 02:30 PM
I've considered that route, most definitely.

But, in this league ... we "bid" on free agents. We each have a pool of fake FA money that we use to bid on players through the season. So, there's no promise I'll get the few (or any) of the FAs I'm targeting.

The rash of injuries has put many teams in a big hole, esp at RB. In the long term, I'd rather hang on to Brady for better value and I don't like trading the Carolina RBs.

The best FA options at QB are Big Ben, Carr and Brees. Ugly for this week. Everyone will bid on Stecker, Reshard Lee and the 1 or 2 other guys available.

I'm sitting all right at WR and plan on keeping Calico for the potential he has when he returns in a few weeks.

Currently 1-1, playing a divisional rival this week at 0-2. He has a gimpy Alexander, lost Edge for this week, but he has suprising Curtis Martin.

He also has issues at QB with Green and Garcia.

It's ugly for many teams.

GoTrav
09-21-2004, 02:31 PM
Rhodes still available? Stecker, Rashard Lee/E. George, or even Blaylock may be week 3 plug-ins if you're league isn't huge.

Mile High Mania
09-21-2004, 02:32 PM
Oh - Maddox is gone without a doubt, I'll be bidding on a 3rd QB most likely. There is a strong chance this trade doesn't happen.

It wouldn't kill me - I'll just have to overbid on a few FAs.

e_train69
09-21-2004, 02:38 PM
I'd do that trade if I were you MHM.

Brady's value is sky high right now and I see his numbers going down. Brooks is just as good a fantasy QB as Brady. NO is going to have to be airing it out this year, especially since Deuce went down.

I also like the Griffen/Bell combo as much as Foster/Davis. Carolina will use both of them, Shanahan may switch mid-season, but when he switches he sticks with one RB.

Stallworth is lightyears ahead of Bryant as far as potential, and the system they are in. You don't know what WR will put up numbers each week in Dallas.

I don't think the other guy will accept the trade though.

donkhater
09-21-2004, 02:44 PM
1) Brady throws like 40 times a game and isn't as boneheaded as Brooks. Plus, with McAlister out, who knows how he'll carry the team. Will he struggle under the increased focus of the defense or become a better fantasy producer since they'll need to pass to score? Personally I think he'll take a dive.

2) The RB swap is a wash IMHO, but Griffin/Bell will be easier to manage because I don't think Shanahan will rotate them evenly through a game. Foster and Davis could split carries evenly when Davis returns. I'd try to get T. Jones or Dillon for Henry, but I doubt he'd go for it.

3) Stallworth may produce but at this stage is he consistent enough to consider starting? Calico will likely be your third once he is healthy.

After analysis it seems as if you are trading Brady to get a more managable RB situation. Bryant/Stallworth is a wash IMHO, but Stallworth has a slight chance to become your #2 whereas Bryant never will. If he doesn't bite with Bryant, offer him Coles instead.

Mile High Mania
09-21-2004, 02:45 PM
Rhodes still available? Stecker, Rashard Lee/E. George, or even Blaylock may be week 3 plug-ins if you're league isn't huge.

Rhodes is gone, but the other 3 are there.

Lee and George really do nothing for me b/c they'll both split time, so Fantasy Law tells me the one I don't acquire will be the one that scores.

Blaylock would be nice if I knew 100% that Holmes was out, but the guy that has Holmes was hit with 2 injuries (counting Holmes) and a bye, so I know he will be bidding high for Blaylcock and Stecker.

It's nasty...

KevB
09-21-2004, 02:46 PM
First, Curtis Martin is on bye this week, so it looks like your opponent is screwed as well.

Second, I'd do that trade in a second. Brooks is flaky, but he's been a top 7 QB the last three years. Griffin/Bell are as likely to produce as the Carolina RB tandem, and Stallworth is better than Bryant. I wouldn't hesitate to do this deal, and with your opponent's RB situation, mark a win in the left column this week.

GoTrav
09-21-2004, 02:48 PM
I also like the Griffen/Bell combo as much as Foster/Davis. Carolina will use both of them, Shanahan may switch mid-season, but when he switches he sticks with one RB.

I like that combo more for the exact same reason.

donkhater
09-21-2004, 02:49 PM
After looking at this trade, I have to ask myself why this guy would make the trade? He is in need of a WR badly. He isn't giving up Stallworth.

The trade I would look for is

Brady, Henry and Coles

for

Brooks, T. Jones and Chambers/Stallworth

Braincase
09-21-2004, 02:59 PM
Y'oughta check with the missus before you ask the masses.

Mile High Mania
09-21-2004, 03:25 PM
Nice - I like the comments. I did flub when I referred to Martin starting this week for my opponent.

For some reason, this guy really wants Brady and he has had Stallworth before and is not comfortable with him. I *think* he may be trying to package Brady (potentially) for another player, should we do the deal.

I agree that the Den RBs and Car RBs are a wash...

We'll see what happens. I think he might counter, but ya never know. This is one of the things I like about FF ... art of the deal.

Mile High Mania
09-21-2004, 03:29 PM
Y'oughta check with the missus before you ask the masses.

....uhhhh, ok ...

I asked my wife and she only knew who Tom Brady was...

Hoover
09-21-2004, 03:56 PM
Chris Brown and Chad Johnson for Randy Moss?