PDA

View Full Version : Players for the Chiefs to draft next year

ChiefsKing
09-21-2004, 03:41 PM
When it doesn't get addressed in free agency, we better pray for the draft, and we better be picking in the top 5 . I will list top rated at DE, MLB, OLB, DT, CB, WR, just let me know if you want anything for a different position or top 10 at each position.

Mathias Kiwanuka, 6-8, 255, JR, Boston College
He could be the top pass rusher in college football and he seems to be getting better every game. As the first Boston College sophomore to win All-Big East honors since William Green in 2000, Kiwanuka led the league in sacks with 11.5 and an additional 24 quarterback hurries on the season. It's not just his talent at getting into the backfield, it's also his imposing way he blocks field goals and passes. He's also strong at stopping the run making him a near-complete overall prospect that the NFL scouts are already drooling over. He's definitely a player worth keeping an eye on as the year goes on. There are several excellent pass rushers in college football this season, but no one has the height and room to get bigger that Kiwanuka has. At 6’ 8”, he's impossible for most quarterbacks to throw over and his wingspan allows him to reach out and grab running backs that would normally slip away from average sized players. A high school tight end and a great pass catcher to go along with his defensive duties, Kiwanuka has tremendous agility and athleticism as well. He reminds me of the old Defensive End from the Cowboy’s Doomsday Defense Days, Too Tall Jones. As a side note, Kiwa comes from royal bloodlines; he hangs a Ugandan flag in his dorm room in memory of his late grandfather, Benedicto Kiwanuka, who was elected as the country’s first prime minister in 1961 and assassinated by Idi Amin in 1972.

ChiefsKing
09-21-2004, 03:42 PM
Lance Mitchell, 6-3 247, SR, Oklahoma
Lance was by far the best middle linebacker in the nation heading into the 2003 season but suffered a devastating knee injury (tore ACL) and missed the entire year. Lance has all the skills you could ever want, he has prototype size and speed and he is an incredible athlete. He played linebacker and running back in high school, he had one game in high school where he ran for 250 yards and six touchdowns with only 12 attempts! He rushed for more than 3,000 yards as a senior (9.6 yards per carry) and 36 touchdowns. He started out in Junior College and was a first team juco All-American, he recorded 80 tackles, and five sacks, one interception and one fumble return for a touchdown as a sophomore. Oh he is used to winning, he led his juco team to a 24-0 mark during his career with two California state junior college titles and a pair of JC Gridwire national championships. That means he has only lost 3 games since high school. He originally signed with Florida and was attending classes there when it was learned that Southeastern Conference rules would not allow him to participate and subsequently transferred to Oklahoma where he just tore up the NCAA. As a sophomore in 2002 he was voted All-America second team (CNNSI), Big 12 Newcomer of the Year (ESPN.com), All-Big 12 second team (Kansas City Star, Fort Worth Star-Telegram), All-Big 12 honorable mention (AP), consensus Big 12 Defensive Newcomer of the Year. He produced on the field and led his team in tackles with 124; he had more solo (87) and assisted (37) tackles than any other Sooner and was the team leader in tackles for loss with 19 for 46 yards. Lance recorded the seventh best TFL total for a season at OU and equals the highest total ever for a Sooner linebacker. He led the team with four fumbles forced and had more tackles than any junior college transfer in OU history (bettered the 97 posted by Torrance Marshall). All this and he only played one year! OK I will say it now, if Lance returns to pre injury form he will be a top 15 selection in the 2005 NFL Draft.

ChiefsKing
09-21-2004, 03:43 PM
OLB

LB Derrick Johnson, 6-4, 230, Texas
As a 2002 first-team All-Big 12 selection, Johnson led the Longhorns in tackles (108), solo tackles (71), tackles for loss (17), fumble recoveries (3) and has two sacks, seven pass breakups and caused a fumble. His four interceptions in 2003 are a UT season record for linebackers while his eight career picks also are a Longhorn linebacker best, so he is obviously good in coverage. Don’t think he can’t tackle, he lead his team in tackles last year with 125 and 78 solo tackles. At 6' 4" and 220 pounds he has ideal height with frame to easily add more muscle, which he will need to add to be effective in the NFL. He was smart to come back for his senior year, while he would have been a first round draft pick last year, this year he is a lock to be a top ten selection.

ChiefsKing
09-21-2004, 03:44 PM
DT Rodrique Wright, 6-5 320, JR, Texas
Wright was insanely productive, he had 65 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 13 tackles for loss and 15 QB hurries for the Longhorns in 2004. As the Big 12 Defensive Freshman of the Year in 2003, he became the sixth Longhorn in the Mack Brown era to earn first-team Freshman All-America honors. He has seen action in all 12 games, including eight starts, and registered 59 tackles (26 solo), 13 TFLs (-42 yards), 4.5 sacks, 12 quarterback hurries, one forced fumble and a blocked extra point attempt this year. Wright ranks in a third-place tie on UT's freshman TFLs list and in a fourth-place tie on the school's frosh sacks chart. He performed particularly well in Big 12 play, posting 52 tackles (22 solo), 13 TFLs, 4.5 sacks, 10 QB pressures, one forced fumble and a blocked kick in UT's eight league contests. Wright is an excellent athlete for his size and plays with excellent leverage. He will see a lot of double teams this year so we will see how good he can play through them. I thought in some games he played better than DT Marcus Tubbs last year, and he (Tubbs) was a 2004 1st round draft pick.

ChiefsKing
09-21-2004, 03:44 PM
CB Antrel Rolle, 6-1 202, SR, Miami
After he destroyed WR Larry Fitzgerald in the Hurricanes’ win over Pitt last year, I thought he would get more respect, Regardless, Rolle should be a strong candidate for the Thorpe Award this season. "People not only cannot throw against him, but they almost refuse to throw his way because he's such a terrific lock-down corner," said Miami Coach Coker. "He's been almost unbeatable the last two seasons." He's a smart, terrific man-on-man corner with excellent size and good tackling ability. He's not afraid to take on the toughest receivers in college football and usually comes out ahead. His athleticism and straight-line speed allows him to get in the backfield as a disruptive force. He's also a tremendous returner. Rolle is quicker than fast but not a true blazer. In 2003 he recorded 51 tackles, seven broken up passes, two interceptions, one sack and 3.5 tackles for loss. He will make a fine pro because he is so tough and such a good tackler. In fact I could even see him moved to Safety in the NFL because he is so big and strong and so good around the line of scrimmage.

ChiefsKing
09-21-2004, 03:45 PM
WR Mike Williams, 6-5 220, JR, USC
Williams status is still up in the air, USC has filed a petition to allow him to play this year for them but it isn’t a slam dunk. He quit school and got way behind on his required classes, so if he is allowed to play he will have to work hard on his academics. Worst-case scenario; he will have to sit out a year. He would’ve been a top 20 pick if he had been in the 2004 draft. He’s not a blazer, he ran around a 4.56 during his individual workout, but he has everything else, quickness, mammoth size, peerless hands, and the size to outmuscle any defensive back. Yes he played on a good team with a prolific quarterback but his production over his short career is nothing short of breath taking. In two college seasons, Williams has 176 catches for 2,570 yards and 30 touchdowns. If he has to sit out a season he will probably be a little rusty but if he returns to form he could very well be the first pick in the 2005 draft. He reminds me of a faster version of Cowboy’s receiver Keshawn Johnson, who was an over-all number one draft pick.

HC_Chief
09-21-2004, 03:50 PM
Better add OT to the list. Roaf may be retiring in the near future.

Bob Dole
09-21-2004, 03:55 PM
Brandon Jones, WR, Oklahoma. 6'3", 214. Probably somewhere around 4.4 speed.

If he continues to be overshadowed by Clayton in the OU offense, the kid is going to be a steal. Bob Dole has watched this kid since his junior year in high school and hasn't seen anything at OU to change Bob Dole's mind.

ENDelt260
09-21-2004, 04:00 PM
Wow. I wonder if they're looking forward to the draft yet on the Cardinals board.

shaneo69
09-21-2004, 04:16 PM
Assuming we don't sign anyone in free agency, I hope we take 3 CB's and 3 WR's, and I'll give them one open spot to take a FB/TE tweener.

svuba
09-21-2004, 04:34 PM
I made a bet with my Brother that someone would post a Draft thread this week. ... ... At least it didn't happen in the Preseason!

jiveturkey
09-21-2004, 04:39 PM
Better add OT to the list. Roaf may be retiring in the near future.I would remove DT from the list and go with OT as well.

CB and WR would be at the top of my list but FA could change that.

Ralphy Boy
09-21-2004, 04:44 PM
Here is who Sporting News has us taking in their newest mock draft.
BTW, they have us drafting 14th and rate this kid as a 2nd rounder, so apparently they know exactly who Carl will draft.

KEVIN BURNETT MEASURABLES
Height: 6-3 Weight: 236
40-yard dash: 4.60 10-yard dash:
20-yard shuttle: 60-yard shuttle:
Broad jump: 225 lb. bench:
3-cone drill: Vertical jump:
Wonderlic: 20-yard dash:

Player evaluation:
Kevin Burnett
OLB, Tennessee
War Room analysis
Strengths: Is a smooth, speedy athlete with unlimited potential. Explodes into tackles. Shows solid instincts and stays confident in coverage. Can stay man-to-man with most running game backs. Shows great range in zones. Uses hands well to shed blocks. Leads on the field for the Volunteers and brings an outstanding work ethic.

Weaknesses: Played hesitantly when returning to action last season after he had season-ending knee surgery for a torn ACL in 2002. Needs to play like he is healthy. Must also become more of a playmaker, especially considering his athleticism and instincts.

Bottom line: Burnett must put his injury concerns to rest and play with the same confidence and fervor that he had before he was hurt. His athleticism gives him tremendous upside. If he can return to form, he may sneak into the first round, but as it stands he projects as a second-rounder.

Bowser
09-21-2004, 04:48 PM
I'm suprised Saul isn't on here screaming for us to take Darren Sproles yet!

:D

SECTION11
09-21-2004, 05:21 PM
Wow. I wonder if they're looking forward to the draft yet on the Cardinals board.

Always. :banghead:

I like Antrel Rolle in round one and Darren Sproles in round two, or Cedric Benson in round one and Haloti Ngata in round two.
Third round and day two I take speed and guard to guard o-line depth.

If you're going to have a speed-based defense, you need to have an ogre in the middle to force everything outside. Speed doesn't do you any good if people can run at you between the tackles.

Somebody's going to get rich on Mike Williams when he falls out of the top 10. But at the same time, he's got the same problems as Fitzgerald, he can't get open and relys on size and hands. I think he'll face the same problems as Fitz currently is facing.

ChiefsCountry
09-21-2004, 05:46 PM
I like Clayton from Oklahoma, he is a good football player.

Saulbadguy
09-21-2004, 05:47 PM
Antrel Rolle is the best CB in the draft since Charles Woodson. Problem is, his attitude is worse than C-Woods, and he has legal problems.

Bob Dole
09-21-2004, 05:47 PM
I like Clayton from Oklahoma, he is a good football player.

And the reason someone will probably steal Jones.

Saulbadguy
09-21-2004, 05:49 PM
I'm suprised Saul isn't on here screaming for us to take Darren Sproles yet!

:D
We already have 3 good RB's :)

From KSU, there really isn't anyone i'd say worth picking up for us.

ChiefsCountry
09-21-2004, 05:50 PM
Jones is pretty fast, he is good too.

Bob Dole
09-21-2004, 05:55 PM
Jones is pretty fast, he is good too.

He's a good kid, too. The Yankees actually drafted him and he decided to go to OU.

ENDelt260
09-21-2004, 05:57 PM
He's a good kid, too. The Yankees actually drafted him and he decided to go to OU.
"If you play for the Yankess, you'll go to hell."

"Why wait? I'll just go there now."

Saulbadguy
09-21-2004, 05:59 PM
Oh yeah...QBOTF?

Andrew Walter.

suds79
09-21-2004, 06:05 PM
Antrel Rolle is the best CB in the draft since Charles Woodson. Problem is, his attitude is worse than C-Woods, and he has legal problems.

Yeah. I wouldn't like it if we had a CB on the team who had off the field problems... Wait, Oops.. :rolleyes:

At this point, I'm not sure I care.

I'm for either

Johnson - Best LB in college
Rolle - Best CB in college
Mitchell - Best MLB in college

ChiefsKing
09-21-2004, 06:08 PM
Here is list of top 10 at WR:

Wide receivers for the 2005 NFL Draft

Analysis: I don’t think this receiver class is necessarily all that weak, I just think last year was so good we got spoiled. The inclusion of Mike Williams will help but if you were looking for that can’t miss prospect don’t hold your breath. Nonetheless, there are some sweet prospects. If Thorpe shows that he is fully recovered from last years injury he could move up.

1. WR Mike Williams, 6-5 220, JR, USC
Williams status is still up in the air, USC has filed a petition to allow him to play this year for them but it isn’t a slam dunk. He quit school and got way behind on his required classes, so if he is allowed to play he will have to work hard on his academics. Worst-case scenario; he will have to sit out a year. He would’ve been a top 20 pick if he had been in the 2004 draft. He’s not a blazer, he ran around a 4.56 during his individual workout, but he has everything else, quickness, mammoth size, peerless hands, and the size to outmuscle any defensive back. Yes he played on a good team with a prolific quarterback but his production over his short career is nothing short of breath taking. In two college seasons, Williams has 176 catches for 2,570 yards and 30 touchdowns. If he has to sit out a season he will probably be a little rusty but if he returns to form he could very well be the first pick in the 2005 draft. He reminds me of a faster version of Cowboy’s receiver Keshawn Johnson, who was an over-all number one draft pick.

2. WR Braylon Edwards, 6-2 210, SR, Michigan
His production last year cannot be discounted, he caught 85 passes for 1,138 yards, with a 13.4 yards per catch average and 14 touchdowns, finishing ahead of 2004, 1st round draft picks, Roy and Reggie Williams and Michael Clayton. At 6' 2" 210 pounds he has size, speed and toughness and should top the list of a weak receiver class. Last year he destroyed 1st round draft pick CB Chris Gamble by having a career game (7 catches, 130 yards, 2 TDs) in a 35-21 win over OSU.

3. WR Chris Henry, 6-5, 200, JR, West Virginia
Chris should be mentioned in the same breath as the other elite receivers this year; he has as much talent and size as any of them. The receiver class is a little depleted this year due to all of last years underclassmen turning pro, so Henry will be in high demand for a team that needs a tall receiver. He has improved this spring on his blocking and intermediate route running. His stats were just phenomenal; I will throw a few out there for you. Gained 200 yards receiving on 13 catches in Gold-Blue spring game. He ranked 29th in NCAA receiving yards per game (83.8) and was named BIG EAST rookie of the year and second team all-conference. He led his team with 41 catches for 1,006 yards and 10 scores and scored a touchdown on his first three receptions. His 176 yards on four catches vs. Rutgers was the 10th-best effort in WVU history. Henry didn’t play in 2002 so he is a little inexperienced but with a strong final campaign I look for him to be drafted on day one of the 2005 draft.

4. WR Craphonso Thorpe, 6-2, 175, SR, Florida State
Thorpe is very experienced and well coached. If you play the receiver position for Bobby Bowden you definitely know how to run an effective pass pattern. His 19.5 average per reception was tops in the ACC in 2003 and he was named 1st team All-ACC. Entering 2003 he had returned 37 career kickoffs for 783 yards and a 21.2 yards per return average to rank as the Seminoles’ career leader in that category. He had three catches for 88 yards in two career bowl games (Gator in 2001 and Sugar in 2002). The more I see this guy the more I like him because he has got one thing that can’t be taught, speed. He is just so fluid and quick in and out of his cuts and he plays the ball nicely in the air. He was named the ACC Outdoor Track Performer of the Year in 2003. He led Florida State to two outdoor (2002 and 2003) and one indoor (2003) ACC Track and Field championship and garnered two ACC Outdoor Track & Field individual championships winning the 100m and 200m dash in 2003. He was FSU’s leading receiver in 2003 catching 51 passes for 994 yards, a 90.4 yards per game average and a 19.5 yards per catch average. He also took it to the house 11 times. An unfortunate leg injury late in the NC State game kept Thorpe from jumping to the NFL last year. Thorpe is probably the most polished receiver in this draft and the safest pick. He doesn’t have elite size but he is tough and won’t shy away from contact, he adjusts for under thrown balls nicely. The bad news is he is coming off of a leg fracture and might miss some playing time early this year. The good news is, Thorpe blazed to an electronically-timed 4.30 this spring so he looks like he is healing nicely. Thorpe has very thin legs and I question if he will be able to take the day to day pounding in the NFL, but so does Colt's receiver Marvin Harrison and that is exactly who Thorpe reminds me of.

5. WR Fred Gibson, 6-4 196, SR, Georgia
Wonderful athlete with awesome and leaping ability. Fred had incredible burst speed down field and easily seperates from corners. Very agile player, with excellent hand eye coordination and balance. Solid hands, and is an improving route runner as well. Good size, he is a receiver that can go get the ball. I think he is a huge underachiever and I question his overall passion for the game of football. He does not produce consistently and he some times slacks off during games. Gibson is a great athlete but not that great to dominate going half speed. Needs a little more toughness as well, is not great in space even though he has a large frame, needs to work catching the ball on short routes not just deep passes where he can jump and get it. Great athlete has very good speed and is a pretty good kick return man as well. Flat out goes gets the ball, very good jumping ability and has size to match. However when a football player with his skill just ups and sells a championship ring his team earned, I seriously question his love of the game. Might be jumping to conclusions but he doesn’t play with great passion or intensity for the game either. Has great physical tools, but needs to put together the entire package to be great. But as far as athletes go, he is near the top in the nation at WR.

6. WR Mark Clayton, 5-11 180, SR, Oklahoma
He isn't huge but Clayton lived up to his star promise with an All-America 2003 season. His leaping ability and breakaway speed more than make up for his size. His production should shush all doubters, he finished fourth in the nation in receiving yards with 83 receptions for 1,425 yards, he had an amazing 17.2 yards per catch average along with 15 touchdowns. With returning 2003 Heisman Trophy winning QB Jason White at the helm, there is no reason to think Clayton won’t light up the scoreboard again in 2004. He is quick as a cat, shifty and tough, he is kind of a cross between Cincinnati’s WR Peter Warrick and the Jet's Santana Moss.

7.WR Geoff McArthur, 6-1 200, SR, California
Geoff came out of nowhere last year and made a big splash, he was second in the nation in receiving yards last year making 85 catches for 1,504 yards and ten touchdowns. His biggest challenge has been to stay healthy, he has had hamstring problems early in his career and a broken arm late last year. He got a lot of recognition last year, he was 2nd team TSN All-American. I look for Geoff to have a big year, he and QB Aaron Rogers have had a year working together and they compliment each other very well. Ranked by Lindy's Football magazine as the third best receiver in the nation. Very talented pass catcher, runs very precise routes, very hard worker, he runs his routes at 100% during practice which allows him to get his timing down better than most.

8. WR Martin Nance, 6-5 215, SR, Miami OH
He has awesome size and production (third in the nation at receiving yards). He caught 90 balls for 1,498 yards; 16.6 yards per catch average and 11 touchdowns. Martin has great body control and hands and at that size not many corners can keep up with him. If he can come close to duplicating last years stats without QB Ben Rothlensberger thowing him the ball he should be a top receiver. The question is, did he make Big Ben look good or did Big Ben make him look good. By mid season we will know.

9. WR Charles Frederick, 6-0 185, SR, Washington
Now that Charles is out of the shadow of WR Reggie Williams he should really shine. He was voted a team captain for 2004 season. Not only is he a game breaking receiver he is one of the best special teams players in the nation. He has started 11 games during his career and enters 2004 season with a streak of making at least one reception in 25 consecutive games. He has 104 career receptions to rank 11th on UW's all-time list and is 13th on Husky career receiving yardage list with 1,482 yards. He also ranks 10th on UW's career all-purpose yardage list with 3,289 yards. He was a first-team All-Pac-10 selection in 2003 as a special teams player and enters his senior season ranked third on UW career kickoff return list with 59, he only needs 16 returns to set UW record. The Sporting News has him listed as one of the top-20 receivers and top-20 return men in the country and a first team receiver on the All-Pac-10 unit. He was tabbed as an honorable mention preseason All-American by Street & Smith's magazine and Lindy's magazine ranks him as a top-10 all-purpose player and named him to the All-Pac-10 second team. Last year (2003) he was second on the squad with 59 catches for 831 yards, behind current NFL receiver Reggie Williams. Frederick’s reception total ranks eighth on UW single-season list, he was 10th in the Pac-10 at 4.92 receptions per game and averaged 14.1 yards per catch, slightly more than even Reggie Williams' average of 12.5. He had five scoring catches and led the team in punt returns with 29 for 340 yards. He averaged 11.7 yards per return, the highest mark in the Pac-10 and helped the Huskies lead the Pac-10 in punt return average at with a 10.9 average per return. He is a great all-around player and was first on the team with 1,380 all-purpose last year. Charles has great hands and he is shifty and quick, not a pure burner but deceptive speed and he can hit the burners and pull away from most cornerbacks, he is fearless going over the middle for a smaller receiver and if he was about 3 inches taller he would be a 1st round draft pick.

10. J.R. Russell, 6-3 195, SR, Louisville
Very experienced player, he has started since his red shirt freshman year. He earned first team All-C-USA honors last year and was the team’s leading receiver. He caught 75 passes for a school record 1,213 yard and eight touchdowns. The 75 receptions were the third-most in a season and he averaged 16.1 yards per catch. Russell has caught a pass in 23 straight games and last year ranked 14th in the country in receiving yards and second in Conference USA. He recorded six 100-yard games and became just the fourth player in school history to reach the 1,000-yard plateau. He has great size, athletic ability a super hands, the only question mark is his speed. If he has a great post-season workout he could easily move into the early rounds of the 2005 draft.

HolmeZz
09-21-2004, 06:08 PM
Oh yeah...QBOTF?

Andrew Walter.

Dan Orlovsky. :p

Miles
09-21-2004, 06:10 PM
Im going to make a wild prediction and say we will draft a bunch of guys no one has heard of, much less this far before the draft.

Ralphy Boy
09-21-2004, 06:10 PM
I'm about to the point where I think we'll need to pull a Ditka and trade our draft away for a high impact player only in our case spend it on a defensive leader.

Not that he's that guy, but I really liked Lance Mitchell a couple years ago, but not sure how he's looked since coming back from his ACL surgery. He's had a full year to recover and usually it takes longer than that to get back to the level a guy was at before the surgery. He's a guy who might slip farther than he should. He was a stud a couple years ago, I think he set a couple of records in his first year at OU.

whoman69
09-21-2004, 06:11 PM
When did Voyager come back?

ChiefsKing
09-21-2004, 06:11 PM
CB top 10 class

Cornerbacks for the 2005 NFL Draft

Analysis: I can’t talk about corners without mentioning Oklahoma’s platoon of corners. Highly touted 2003 JUCO cornerback Chijioke Onyenegecha, who redshirted last season, has been bothered by a hamstring injury this spring and has been unable to gain a starting job. Instead, junior Eric Bassey, who started at safety as a redshirt freshman, has stolen the show and locked down the other corner spot, opposite senior standout Antonio Perkins. This is a very talented group of corners, very deep with great underclassmen.

1. CB Antrel Rolle, 6-1 202, SR, Miami
After he destroyed WR Larry Fitzgerald in the Hurricanes’ win over Pitt last year, I thought he would get more respect, Regardless, Rolle should be a strong candidate for the Thorpe Award this season. "People not only cannot throw against him, but they almost refuse to throw his way because he's such a terrific lock-down corner," said Miami Coach Coker. "He's been almost unbeatable the last two seasons." He's a smart, terrific man-on-man corner with excellent size and good tackling ability. He's not afraid to take on the toughest receivers in college football and usually comes out ahead. His athleticism and straight-line speed allows him to get in the backfield as a disruptive force. He's also a tremendous returner. Rolle is quicker than fast but not a true blazer. In 2003 he recorded 51 tackles, seven broken up passes, two interceptions, one sack and 3.5 tackles for loss. He will make a fine pro because he is so tough and such a good tackler. In fact I could even see him moved to Safety in the NFL because he is so big and strong and so good around the line of scrimmage.

2. CB Corey Webster, 6-0 201, SR, LSU
Webster spent his first year at LSU as a wide receiver, catching seven passes in 12 games. In 2002 he moved to cornerback, and in his first season on the defensive side of the ball he intercepted seven passes. Last year, he intercepted seven more. His 14 picks over the last two years rank second on the school’s career charts. Webster’s 2003 worksheet also includes 36 solo tackles, 46 total, 3.5 tackles for a loss and a sack, and he was second in the SEC (behind teammate Travis Daniels) with 25 pass breakups. Webster might be the best athlete on a team full of athletes. A basketball player at corner, he has the long arms and jumping ability to play even bigger than his height. With his speed and aggressiveness, he frustrates both receivers and quarterbacks alike, and there might not be a better corner in America when the ball is in the air. He's one of the few corners in the game who can truly handle the one-on-one island. He was a quarterback in high school, but he might have been an even better basketball player averaging 20 points a game as a junior. An elite shut down corner that has fantastic one on-one-cover skills. reportedly he will play some receiver again this year as well as cornerback, he even has a shot at the Heisman ala Charles Woodson.

3. CB Marlin Jackson, 6-1 199, SR, Michigan
Jackson is in the Charles Woodson mold. He might have been selected before CB DeAngelo Hall if he would have declared for the draft last year. In his first two years, he has 98 tackles, six tackles for loss, a sack, six interceptions and 25 broken up passes. He played safety in 2003 but will be moved back to corner for his final campaign. Jackson is very experienced, over the last two years he has held in check the likes of Washington’s Reggie Williams, Illinois’ Brandon Lloyd, and Michgan State’s Charles Rogers, all high draft picks currently in the NFL. If Marlin can avoid injury and play the corner position like he did in 2002, he could definitely be a top ten draft pick in the 2005 draft.

4. CB Justin Miller, 5-11 200, JR, Clemson
Miller burst on to the scene as a true freshman picking off eight passes, this set a school record and led the ACC. His freshman year he also broke up nine passes and made 61 tackles in only seven starts. As a sophomore in 2003 he was a preseason first-team All-American according to The Sporting News and ranked as the #2 cornerback in the nation by that publication. He was named to the preseason watch list for the Bronko Nagurski Award (top defensive player in the nation) and the Jim Thorpe Award (top defensive back) and one of only two sophomores nationally on the Thorpe Award list. Miller was also a preseason first-team All-ACC by Lindy’s, The Sporting News, Athlon, and Street & Smith and ranked as the best cover corner in the ACC by Lindy’s. He was also a monster in the return game; he was the first ACC player since Keeta Covington of Maryland (1985) to lead the ACC in kickoff returns and interceptions in the same season. His 35.1 average on kickoff returns was third best in ACC history and his eight interceptions were the most by an ACC player since 1996 when Tar Heel Dré Bly had 11. He was also named 2003 pre-season ACC defensive player of the year. He didn’t have quite the year statistics wise in 2003; he accumulated 12 tackles, 1 assist, 1 sack and 2 interceptions because most teams didn’t throw his direction. Miller has bulked up from 185 to 200 pounds this spring and he still runs a 4.40 forty. He is a very cocky corner and will mirror the best opposing receiver all over the field. He is very fluid and smooth in his back pedal. Being only a junior he is still inexperienced but he abounds with talent. If he decides to turn pro he will most likely be a late first round draft pick.

5. CB Carlos Rogers, 6-1 204, SR, Auburn
Very talented, experienced four year starter. As a freshman in 2001 he was named to The Sporting News Freshman All-America second-team and was on the All-SEC freshman team, he finished fourth on the team with 58 tackles and led Auburn with 12 broken up passes. As a sophomore he tied for the team lead with four interceptions and once again led the team with nine broken up passes. As a junior his numbers tailed off a little because opposing offenses started staying away from him, but he started 12 games and finished the season with 29 tackles and a team-high nine broken up passes. Carlos enters this season (2004) highly decorated; he was named a first-team preseason All-SEC selection by the Birmingham News and a preseason second-team All-SEC selection by Athlon Sports. Carlos displays very good footwork and technique, he has excellent closing speed and plays the ball very well in the air. With a strong senior season he should emerge as an elite cornerback.

6. CB Antonio Perkins, 6-0 188, SR, Oklahoma
On top of being an excellent senior cornerback, Perkins is one heck of a kick returner. He is getting close to the NCAA career punt return touchdown record. He took three to the house last year against UCLA and was selected as the 2004 Athlon Sports All-American first team punt returner and All-Big 12 second team corner back. Blazing fast, Set OU testing records with a 4.31 in the 40 and a 42-inch vertical leap. He is well coached and an excellent ball hawk. Perkins can cover now, he has nine career interceptions and 16 broken up passes. He can tackle as well with 92 career stops. He needs to work on his run support and he should be a fine prospect. He should be drafted VERY high because of his speed and versatility.

7. CB Darrent Williams, 5-9 175, SR, Oklahoma State
Small, but very talented, experienced cover corner. Selected as 2004 Athlon Sports All-American second team and All Big 12 first team. He is a serious ball hawk; he snatched 6 pigskins for 130 yards and returned two for touchdowns. He is real special cover corner, but don’t let his small size turn you away, because he is a strong tackler. Darrent has blazing speed and runs around a 4.30 fourty. He will probably fall a little bit on draft day due to his size but he gets the job done. I think he will be a future pro bowl player and a lot of teams will wish they wouldn't have got hung up on his size. He reminds me of the Minnesota Viking’s CB Antoine Winfield.

8. CB Bryant McFadden, 6-0 180, SR, Florida State
Played in all 12 games as a freshman and has stated ever since. Bryant is very fast and athletic and he has been well coached. He bats a lot of balls down because of his elite catch up speed. As a junior McFadden recorded 28 tackles and nine pass breakups. Graduated from McArthur High School in 2000 and was a highly recruited football player, a USA Today All-USA first-team selection as a senior and the No. 1 defensive back in the nation and the top over-all prospect in the state of Florida by SuperPrep. Bryant has excellent ball skills and easily turns and finds the ball in the air. He has excellent size and by the end of the 2004 season he should be mentioned as one of the elite corners in the country. He missed the last couple of regular season games in 2003 due to a groin/hip flexor injury, but appears to be fully recovered because he played a great game against Miami in the 2004 opener.

9. CB/S Donnie McCleskey, 5-10 195, JR, California
Donnie is a very talented defensive back; he is kind of an unknown because he is listed as a “rover” on Cal’s depth chart. He is kind of tweener, but has played mostly safety. If he shows enough speed he might be moved to cornerback. NFL scouts have noticed him; he is a 2004 first team Street & Smith’s All-American defensive back. Last year he was a 1st team PAC-10 DB and recorded 102 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 7 tackles for a loss and 11 passes broken up. He is a very sure tackler around the line of scrimmage but he also has the speed and quickness to cover the best receivers. Donnie is very fluid, has loose hips and is very smooth out of his back pedal. By the end of the year he should be one of the top NFL defensive back candidates.

10. CB Will Blackmon, 601, 185, JR, Boston College
Will is a fine young cornerback, as a true sophomore he picked off 4 passes with 21 return yards, it seems he is always around the ball. He was 2nd team All-Big east as a true sophomore. He will be a true junior this year but he is smart and knows how to read offenses. He has good height and excellent speed and is a talented punt and kick off returner. He is still a little raw and he could use about 15 more pounds of muscle but if he plays up to his potential this year and decides to turn pro he has first round talent. Blackmon was a highly decorated high school athlete, he was selected as the top player in New England by both SuperPrep and PrepStar and gained Gatorade Rhode Island Player of the Year accolades as a senior defensive back/running back at Bishop Hendricken High School. He was also a two-time All-State and three-time All-City choice. He excelled in basketball and track and won the 100-meter dash in the Rhode Island state meet (10.87).

suds79
09-21-2004, 06:14 PM
Im going to make a wild prediction and say we will draft a bunch of guys no one has heard of, much less this far before the draft.

Perhaps that's why Carl sucks when drafting?

When in doubt, draft Miami's best player (offense or defense). That will usually take care of ya.

ChiefsKing
09-21-2004, 06:15 PM
here is another MLB

Kirk Morrison, 6-3 240, San Diego State
Very hard hitter and excellent tackler. After redshirting his freshman season, he came on like a gang buster. He finish second on the team with 69 tackles, and he's been best defensive player on his team ever since. He has registered an amazing 281 career stops, 31 tackles for loss, five interceptions. He was a First-Team CFN All-America selection in 2003 and a Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year. He would've been a high round draft pick if he had decided to come out last year, but he could be a first rounder, and even the first linebacker taken in the 2005 NFL Draft.

SECTION11
09-21-2004, 06:17 PM

No he doesn't. He was cleared of his charge of, "peacefully resisting arrest."

Being a Husker fan, I can't stand Miami. And as much as I'd like to pile on, there's just nothing to this story at all.

ChiefsKing
09-21-2004, 06:18 PM
Defensive Ends for the 2005 Draft

Analysis: If you need a defensive end in the 2005 draft you are in luck. With a few of the top defensive ends deciding to come back to school for their senior year this might be the strongest crop of defensive ends in years. The 1st round talent goes eight deep when you throw in a few of the elite juniors. I know it’s heresy, but a Division II guy snuck into the ten spot of my top ten list.

1. Mathias Kiwanuka, 6-8, 255, JR, Boston College
He could be the top pass rusher in college football and he seems to be getting better every game. As the first Boston College sophomore to win All-Big East honors since William Green in 2000, Kiwanuka led the league in sacks with 11.5 and an additional 24 quarterback hurries on the season. It's not just his talent at getting into the backfield, it's also his imposing way he blocks field goals and passes. He's also strong at stopping the run making him a near-complete overall prospect that the NFL scouts are already drooling over. He's definitely a player worth keeping an eye on as the year goes on. There are several excellent pass rushers in college football this season, but no one has the height and room to get bigger that Kiwanuka has. At 6’ 8”, he's impossible for most quarterbacks to throw over and his wingspan allows him to reach out and grab running backs that would normally slip away from average sized players. A high school tight end and a great pass catcher to go along with his defensive duties, Kiwanuka has tremendous agility and athleticism as well. He reminds me of the old Defensive End from the Cowboy’s Doomsday Defense Days, Too Tall Jones. As a side note, Kiwa comes from royal bloodlines; he hangs a Ugandan flag in his dorm room in memory of his late grandfather, Benedicto Kiwanuka, who was elected as the country’s first prime minister in 1961 and assassinated by Idi Amin in 1972.

2. David Pollack, 6-3, 276, Georgia
Most in the know were shocked David didn’t enter the draft last year, as he would have been a sure fire number one draft pick. If you are looking for a consistent pass rusher that never stops this is your guy. He has an unreal drive on the football field, probably is one of the most competitive and passionate players in the nation. He is not just an untalented hustle player though, he has great skills. He has a shorter, stockier build than most ends but that makes him able to anchor very well in run support, but his best skills are coming off the edge as pass rusher. He is physically talented, smart, hard working and very mentally aggressive. Pollack is an awesome looking talent, just has to produce like he did last year and improve on his game. Very competitive player and has fine leadership ability as well. Might not be the prototypical speed rushing defensive end but he is a power guy that uses his quickness to get around offensive tackles. David is already a 3-year starter with 123 solo tackles, 23 sacks and 40 tackles for loss in his career. He had such a great season last year it would be hard to improve on it, but if he does he will be a very high pick.

3. Marcus Spears, 6-4, 297, SR, LSU
He is a huge player; mammoth size (6’-4”, 297) has great quickness, speed, athleticism and power. He is the total package as an athlete. For a 300 pounder he can really turn the corner at defensive end, and he has the ability to stop the run using his size and strength. Marcus Spears is a great looking prospect when talking ability and upside. But he hasn’t really dominated at a level that his talent would indicate. He doesn’t really play with a mean streak, but if he finds something that lights his fire he will be a great player. He probably is the most talented defensive end in the country. He must learn how to use his hands better, and be a more of an intense player. If he ever gets pissed off, look out.

4. Chris Canty, 6-6, 280, SR, Virginia
Experienced senior, Canty has prototype size and is an amazing athleticism. He came on strong last year and earned second-team All-ACC honors to become Virginia’s first defensive lineman to earn first or second-team All-ACC honors since Patrick Kerney was a first-team selection in 1998. He led all ACC defensive linemen in tackling with an average of 7.8 tackles per game and tied for 16th overall and was the only lineman in the top 25. He had three games of 10+ tackles, including a high of 12 vs. Duke. His 86 tackles last season are eighth in school history by a defensive lineman. In 2003 he received the Richmond Alumni Scholarship from the Virginia Athletics Foundation and in 2002 he was second-team All-ACC and first-team All-ACC by CollegeFootballnews.com. Canty reminds me of a bigger, stronger version of DE Jevon kearse. Chris plays a little high sometimes and he needs to use his hands better to shed blocks but he has the strength to hold up in the running game and the speed to get to the quarterback. Canty is one of the top 5 defensive ends in the country and should be a complete end with impact potential in the NFL.

5. Dan Cody, 6-5 267, SR, Oklahoma
Playing on the talented Oklahoma defensive line in 2003, Cody saw a lot of one-on-one match ups and he took advantage of it, he entered the season with three career sacks, but had a team-leading 10 (-65) during the year, including three against Oklahoma State (highest total in series history). The 10 sacks rank No. 5 for a season at OU; he also led the team in tackles for loss with 17 (-93) and was No. 3 on the team with 17 quarterback hurries. He was a consensus All-Big 12 selection, second team Academic All-Big 12 and one of six finalists for the Ted Hendricks Award (top defensive end in college football). Oklahoma does a great job of marketing its players, you can actually watch Dan Cody highlights on the OU Football web site. The word is out; Cody will see a lot of double teams this year. We know he has the speed to turn the corner and get to the ball but does he have the strength to fight through double teams? Nonetheless, his explosiveness around the corner is breath taking and that alone should ensure a high draft pick.

6. Matt Roth, 6-4, 270, SR, Iowa
Roth plays football with a non-stop motor, he acts like he has ants in his pants and is very vocal and emotional. He has to continue to be on guard from inadvertently causing his team a personal foul penalty with his antics. But some of that can be over looked when a player gets the job done and Roth definitely gets the job done. He was one of the best pass rushers in the nation registering 12 sacks in 2003. He will start at left end again and should utterly pulverize the Big Ten quarterbacks this year.

7. Eric Henderson, 6-3, 265, JR, Georgia Tech
Eric started out hot and was a Freshman All-American in 2002. As a sophomore in 2003 he took over the defensive end spot full time when Gathers was injured. He was the recipient of the Bronko Nagurski National Defensive Player of the Week award for Sept 8th 2003. Eric was a First-team All-ACC defensive end who led the league in sacks with 11 (0.85 per game) and ranked second in tackles for loss with 24 tackles, a Tech season record. He also had four pass breakups, two forced fumbles and a blocked kick. He is a very intelligent player and was named to the 2003 ACC All-Academic football team. NFL teams are always on the look out for pass rushers and Henderson is at his best with his ears pinned backed rushing the passer. He has a quick first step and has a great spin move. He needs to get a little stronger in the running game and improve his play recognition. Eric could probably benefit with another year in college, he will only get better playing for former Dallas Cowboy Coach Chan Gailey.

8. Adell Duckett, 6-4 265, SR, Texas Tech
One of the nation's most underrated pass rushers. Duckett has been the bane of Big 12 quarterbacks over the last three years with 24 sacks and 40 tackles for loss. He was a terror last year with 14 sacks and 24.5 tackles for loss, yet only made a slight dent on most All-Big XII teams; that is changing this year, he is ranked as the 8th best defensive end in the nation by notable NFL scout Frank Coyle and by Lyndy’s 2004 College Football preview magazine. He is also on the Athlon's All-Big 12 First Team. Duckett has a quick burst off the edge and has the athletic ability to even play linebacker in a 3-4 defense.

9. Simon Fraser, 6-6 280, SR, Ohio State
Very experienced blue chip defensive end, he is the lone holdover from 2003 on the defensive line and is the most experienced player up front. Fraser is a veteran of 39 games and 14 starts with 60 career tackles, 36 of which are solos. He has more sacks (7.5) than any other current Buckeye and is tied for the team lead with linebacker A.J. Hawk with 16.5 career tackles-for-loss. Fraser has the size, strength and speed that will draw a lot of attention from Pro scouts. He was over shadowed by last years star defensive end Will Smith but this year,he will be the star. Simon is a very high-character guy and a three-time Ohio State Scholar-Athlete selection and a two-time Academic All-Big Ten honoree. Very solid all around player, he might not be on Sports Center very much, but he will bring his lunch pale to work.

10. Billy Swancutt, 6-4 260, SR, Oregon State
A playmaker since the first day he stepped on the field, as a freshman he recorded 15 tackles, sacks and 3 tackles for a loss. He came into his own his sophomore year, Swancutt was a starter on the right side and ripped through offenses becoming an All-Conference caliber player by the end of the season, he recorded 56 tackles, 11.5 sacks, 21 tackles for loss, one broken up pass and one forced fumble. Last year all the attention was on USC’s DE Kenechi Udeze, but quietly Swnacutt went on to have another great year amassing 45 tackles, 11 sacks, 17.5 tackles for loss, 11 quarterback hurries, two broken up passes, three forced fumbles and two blocked kicks.
With 25.5 career sacks and 41.5 career tackles for loss, Swancutt is an established star. There's a chance he could become the Pac 10's best defensive player this year. He'll have a fight on his hands for the honor with players like USC DT Shaun Cody and Washington State LB Will Derting, but he could make a leap up in his overall game and crank out a 15+ sack season that gets him on most All-America teams and pushes him into the first round of the 2005 NFL Draft. His only negative is he is a little small and he tends to get wore down in the later part of game.

Saulbadguy
09-21-2004, 06:20 PM
No he doesn't. He was cleared of his charge of, "peacefully resisting arrest."

Being a Husker fan, I can't stand Miami. And as much as I'd like to pile on, there's just nothing to this story at all.
Ah..I did not realize that. I just call em like I see em. Thanks. :thumb:

suds79
09-21-2004, 06:25 PM
I can't wait to see Miami play more this year because I've heard several times that Rolle might be the best defensive player in the country.

The fact that he did shut down Fitzgerald last year as a Jr. (I assume) is impressive.

SECTION11
09-21-2004, 06:29 PM
I can't wait to see Miami play more this year because I've heard several times that Rolle might be the best defensive player in the country.

The fact that he did shut down Fitzgerald last year as a Jr. (I assume) is impressive.

He's solid. He could move to safety, but I doubt it.
His run support is pretty weak from what I've seen, but I wouldn't care as long as he's all that's advertised in coverage.

He did a good job on Fitz, and that's one reason why I'd want him, so those two can duke it out every day in camp. Right now Fitz needs work. I didn't want him on draft day (wanted Steven Jackson, even at #3 if necessary) because he's just never open. His hands are unbelievable but he gets no seperation.

Ralphy Boy
09-21-2004, 08:03 PM
He's solid. He could move to safety, but I doubt it.
His run support is pretty weak from what I've seen, but I wouldn't care as long as he's all that's advertised in coverage.

He did a good job on Fitz, and that's one reason why I'd want him, so those two can duke it out every day in camp. Right now Fitz needs work. I didn't want him on draft day (wanted Steven Jackson, even at #3 if necessary) because he's just never open. His hands are unbelievable but he gets no seperation.

Just curious, is he running quick slants? Those seem to always help a guy get open at least enough to catch the ball, even if he is tackled right away.

J Diddy
09-21-2004, 08:11 PM
When did Voyager come back?

:thumb:
I was thinking the exact same thing, usually 2 weeks into the season is a little early to be doing mock drafts..........

BIG K
09-21-2004, 11:01 PM
Without boring all of you with stats, bios and expected draft positions, I believe that the Chiefs should have three main goals in next years draft;

1. Draft 2 to 3 quality impact defensive players.

2. Draft 2 to 3 quality impact offensive players.

3. Draft 1 quality impact special team player.

I am confident that if the Chief's follow my guidlines, that they would have a sucessfull draft day.

Just my opinion......

J Diddy
09-21-2004, 11:03 PM
Without boring all of you with stats, bios and expected draft positions, I believe that the Chiefs should have three main goals in next years draft;

1. Draft 2 to 3 quality impact defensive players.

2. Draft 2 to 3 quality impact offensive players.

3. Draft 1 quality impact special team player.

I am confident that if the Chief's follow my guidlines, that they would have a sucessfull draft day.

Just my opinion......

Hey could you get their ratings for carl prior to draft day?
He might need help doing the exact opposite.

BIG K
09-21-2004, 11:06 PM
Hey could you get their ratings for carl prior to draft day?
He might need help doing the exact opposite.

CP has done just fine in the last 15 years doing just that! :banghead: