PDA

View Full Version : Can larry johnson help us this weekend?

chiefsfaninwa
09-21-2004, 05:01 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1885617

Holmes out for this weekend? Or is this vermiel playing with our heads?

I dont want this game against Houston to decide our future in the playoffs put I am afraid it will. Man this sucks, the Seahawks are 2 and 0 and Chiefs are 0 and 2. Never thought I would ever see it..

MichaelH
09-21-2004, 05:05 PM
They drafted him in the first round. You'd think he should be able to at least carry the ball 12-15 times per game in his second year. If Priest doesn't play and Blaylock gets all the carries, CP and DV are the worse talent evaluators since whoever signed Millie Vanilli. :shake:

Demonpenz
09-21-2004, 05:07 PM
One look at his attributes in madden tells it all

Speed 90
Agility 90
Being a man 35

suds79
09-21-2004, 05:07 PM
They drafted him in the first round. You'd think he should be able to at least carry the ball 12-15 times per game in his second year. If Priest doesn't play and Blaylock gets all the carries, CP and DV are the worse talent evaluators since whoever signed Millie Vanilli. :shake:

Yup.

IMO, if Priest is out and they insert Blaylock instead of Johnson, then they need to shop that guy for some picks or something.

What a horrid pick thus far.

Brando
09-21-2004, 05:23 PM
One look at his attributes in madden tells it all

Speed 90
Agility 90
Being a man 35

LMAO If he gets a 35 what does Vonnie Holiday get? 6??

Calcountry
09-21-2004, 05:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1885617

Holmes out for this weekend? Or is this vermiel playing with our heads?

I dont want this game against Houston to decide our future in the playoffs put I am afraid it will. Man this sucks, the Seahawks are 2 and 0 and Chiefs are 0 and 2. Never thought I would ever see it..
Right now I am just hoping for a win.

Deberg_1990
09-21-2004, 06:40 PM

Exactly! At the least they should start this guy and let him get some carries....this is why we drafted the guy, so he could start in case Priest went down.....IMO if he doesnt play much this game and Priest is out.....hes a true letdown/bust.

Stinger
09-21-2004, 06:45 PM
Right now I am just hoping for a win.

Pretty much the way I feel. With our lack of offensive weapons what is going to hurt?:shrug:

Ralphy Boy
09-21-2004, 06:48 PM
Yup.

IMO, if Priest is out and they insert Blaylock instead of Johnson, then they need to shop that guy for some picks or something.

Oh no, that could never happen. Then all of us who wanted to trade him would be right.

The bottom line is that LJ isn't the 2nd string RB even though they wanted him to be and has had two full training camps to win the job and is making no positive contribution to the team. He has a bad attitude and never really fit the offense to begin with. That screams "TRADE!".

Deberg_1990
09-21-2004, 06:50 PM
Oh no, that could never happen. Then all of us who wanted to trade him would be right.

The bottom line is that LJ isn't the 2nd string RB even though they wanted him to be and has had two full training camps to win the job and is making no positive contribution to the team. He has a bad attitude and never really fit the offense to begin with. That screams "TRADE!".

Yup...Carl wil never trade this guy or cut him...that would mean that they were wrong about this guy and made a mistake......His ego wouldnt allow him to do that..Dont get me wrong...I really hope that LJ makes me eat crow and turns out to be someting...id love for it to happen, it just doesnt look too promising right now.

AirForceChief
09-21-2004, 06:52 PM
Can larry johnson help us this weekend?

Probably not...but I'm sure My Johnson Can!!

Sure-Oz
09-21-2004, 06:54 PM
I think he can, and I think he will be ready to step in, the only bitching i've heard from him is not being on the field. Atleast he wants to be out there playing!

E@SHSU
09-21-2004, 06:58 PM
I just want us to win this week-end, I really don't care who they start as RB.

J Diddy
09-21-2004, 07:01 PM

Probably not...but I'm sure My Johnson Can!!

That's a great idea, flop it out and when they start rolling around on the ground laughing at the "little acorn", then we should be able to score.

:)

Skip Towne
09-21-2004, 07:06 PM
LJ has zilch trade value right now. The Texans aren't that good. This is a perfect chance to see what he can do. Give him the start and multiple carries the first half. He had a phenomenal ypc in college and we've seen flashes of ability in his limited carries. Let's find out what he's got. Roster spots are too valuable to keep wasting on him.

AirForceChief
09-21-2004, 07:10 PM
That's a great idea, flop it out and when they start rolling around on the ground laughing at the "little acorn", then we should be able to score.

So I'm guessing you think we all pack twigs and berries 'cause you do? I'm sure I'll be able to score...you just keep hopin you and the Chiefs O do the same :thumb:

WilliamTheIrish
09-21-2004, 07:13 PM

Only if Larry knows a couple of really, really good wide receivers that need a job.

philfree
09-21-2004, 07:16 PM
In DVs press conference he said that if Holmes idn't play it was time for Larry Johnsopn to take the diapers off and get ready to play. :LOL:

PhilFree :arrow:

J Diddy
09-21-2004, 07:17 PM
So I'm guessing you think we all pack twigs and berries 'cause you do? I'm sure I'll be able to score...you just keep hopin you and the Chiefs O do the same :thumb:

Got no problems on the scoring. Married (and the wife still likes sex) and my soldier stands at attention no problem. As far as me packing twigs and berries, don't know never compared. I'll leave that to you. You probably spend alot of time peeking in the john.

The chiefs scoring well that's another problem...................

J Diddy
09-21-2004, 07:17 PM
Only if Larry knows a couple of really, really good wide receivers that need a job.

ROFL

TEX
09-21-2004, 08:44 PM
LJ has zilch trade value right now. The Texans aren't that good. This is a perfect chance to see what he can do. Give him the start and multiple carries the first half. He had a phenomenal ypc in college and we've seen flashes of ability in his limited carries. Let's find out what he's got. Roster spots are too valuable to keep wasting on him.

:clap:

KHinz57
09-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Everyone is down on him strictly because he's not on Vermeil's depth chart in the #2 slot. Larry Johnson should have that spot, especially because so much was invested in him and he is the more talented back. He had a better preseason from what I could see as well.

J Diddy
09-21-2004, 08:54 PM
Everyone is down on him strictly because he's not on Vermeil's depth chart in the #2 slot. Larry Johnson should have that spot, especially because so much was invested in him and he is the more talented back. He had a better preseason from what I could see as well.

I don't know the stats but I know this Blaylock looks sharper when he's in the game.

Deberg_1990
09-21-2004, 09:13 PM
I don't know the stats but I know this Blaylock looks sharper when he's in the game.

Well..yes..so far he does....But we have sooo much invested in LJ, they need to give him the start and let him get 20-30 carries and lets see what hes made of!

Sure-Oz
09-21-2004, 09:15 PM
It helps if you can get into the game, blaylock lets see gets into the game and gets a chance, johnson doesn't. He had an impressive td run last year, give the rock to LJ.

Rausch
09-21-2004, 11:02 PM
Well..yes..so far he does....But we have sooo much invested in LJ, they need to give him the start and let him get 20-30 carries and lets see what hes made of!

I really don't care when he was drafted or how much Lamar is paying him, I want a win.

If DV thinks Blaylock gives us the better chance that's who I want in there...

lawrenceRaider
09-22-2004, 05:06 AM
Chiefs have a history of drafting RBs and then never utilizing them, or having them be outright busts. Harvey had a 1000 yd season after he left the Chiefs, but never saw the field in KC.

Enjoy your crap season.

LR

nascher
09-22-2004, 05:11 AM
Holmes will play !!!

MichaelH
09-22-2004, 05:37 AM
I really don't care when he was drafted or how much Lamar is paying him, I want a win.

If DV thinks Blaylock gives us the better chance that's who I want in there...

I think we all would like to see a win. That would take care of a present problem, not being 0-3. But the long term problems of not playing LJ are more significant. I think he should be forced to carry some of the load regardless of Priest's playing time. If he's not part of the Chief's gameplan, they need to trade him for help on both sides of the line we desperately need.

Gaz
09-22-2004, 05:48 AM
Johnson needs some playing time.

xoxo~
Gaz
Thought the days of RBs rotting on the bench ended with Marty.

whoman69
09-22-2004, 06:26 AM
Yup.

Get over it. At the position we drafted he was not only the correct pick, he was the only pick. There were no DEs of such high calibre, there was a run on the good CBs, WRs and not much else left. The fact that Priest was able to go has given alot of people 20/20 hindsight and you still don't know how long Priest will be around. Depth is good.

Chiefnj
09-22-2004, 07:18 AM
Get over it. At the position we drafted he was not only the correct pick, he was the only pick. There were no DEs of such high calibre, there was a run on the good CBs, WRs and not much else left. The fact that Priest was able to go has given alot of people 20/20 hindsight and you still don't know how long Priest will be around. Depth is good.

Depth is good if you have quality starters. When you don't have quality starters, depth isn't so good. Johnson wasn't THE only pick. Other players the Chiefs could have drafted: William Joseph, Andre Woolfolk, Nick Barnett, Tyler Brayton, Charles Tillman, Rashean Mathis, Henderson, Bolden and arguably even Sammy Davis.

morphius
09-22-2004, 07:39 AM
If they try to give him limited carries he will fail miserably. I think this is the last year we have Blaylock, so I don't see it helping us to give him more carries. Oh well, as Gaz said, I thought the days of rotting players on the bench was over, but I guess we are never happy until we kill any chance a RB has for a career.

StcChief
09-22-2004, 07:52 AM
Let LJ play, he did look good in preseason. It was preseason. The Texans would be the team to start him against.

Gaz
09-22-2004, 07:57 AM
Thing is, Johnson is not a patient, nifty runner like Holmes. Is our OL suited to a straight ahead power rush game? Can someone who saw Johnson more than I give some insight?

xoxo~
Gaz
Remembering all the quick, athletic OL comments.

wolfpack0735
09-22-2004, 08:18 AM
with a small center i thought our line was made for more runs off tackle or around the outside. LJ seems to be more of the middle type. but what do i know about him other than if he played, there would be more room in front of the fan. ROFL

Dave Lane
09-22-2004, 08:55 AM
Thing is, Johnson is not a patient, nifty runner like Holmes. Is our OL suited to a straight ahead power rush game? Can someone who saw Johnson more than I give some insight?

xoxo~
Gaz
Remembering all the quick, athletic OL comments.

Johnson was much more patient runner this preseason / camp. He also ran with more authority than Blaylock. Blaylock looks good in practice but I haven't seen much on Sundays. Johnson would get 20 carries and Blaylock 10-15 if I was OC. He is definately faster has more of a burst and is a stonger runner. He is not nifty or shifty he's basically a one trick pony with some speed and power.

Dave

Chiefnj
09-22-2004, 09:21 AM
With the OL not playing up to its usual standard of near perfection, I think the biggest question that Vermeil is asking himself regarding running backs is - who is the better blocker? The season will definately be over if a back misses a blocking assignment and Green goes down.

Sure-Oz
09-22-2004, 09:49 AM
LJ can't learn if he doesn't play!

Cochise
09-22-2004, 09:52 AM
Johnson is better than Blaylock.

milkman
09-22-2004, 09:55 AM
Johnson is better than Blaylock.

I haven't seen Johnson do anything to show me that.

I see a back with no vision, who runs into piles, and can't break tackles.

I wouldn't even go so far to say that he's better than Donnell Bennett.

jspchief
09-22-2004, 09:55 AM
Blaylock is definately faster. He'll work better in screens and runs to the edge (if he doesn't out run his blockers). He's the type of guy that can put up huge rune if he gets to the secondary. That big run by Holmes last week would have been a TD being taken back if Blaylock would have hit that hole. The problem is, he outruns his blocks instead of letting them develop. Poor field vision.

Johnson lacks the speed for the type of runs we normally use. But he is a hard runner. He could be more effective in the inside running game than Blaylock. This pre-season, at times he had excellent vision and hit the holes that developed. At other times, it was as if he closed his eyes and ran to the spot where the hole was "supposed" to be.

I think this is a good opportunity to see what these guys have. But I'm afraid it might become to much RBBC, not letting either back find their groove. I'd like to see Johnson as the main runner, with Blaylock as a thrid down/change of pace back.

The thing that actually scares me the most is Al Saunders. If Holmes has a bad run, he abandons the running game...just imagine what he'll do with RBs that he has no confidence in.

ChiTown
09-22-2004, 09:59 AM
He certainly could. That is, if he doesn't decide to just show up a be his usual 'Tub of Man Goo' self. If he comes in like he was playing early in the preseason, he could be a HUGE fn lift to this team, and take some of the burden off of exposing our thin WR corp.

Show Up, Larry, and be a fricken man on Sunday!

Sure-Oz
09-22-2004, 10:09 AM
The reason you haven't seen LJ do anything cause he is on the bench.

milkman
09-22-2004, 10:14 AM
The reason you haven't seen LJ do anything cause he is on the bench.

The reason LJ is on the bench, aside from the fact that Priest is one of the top 3 backs in the league, is that he looked like Donnell Bennett against 2nd and 3rd string Ds in the preseason.

With that in mind, hell, you can't even say he's as good as Bennett.

Sure-Oz
09-22-2004, 10:18 AM
I still would like to see LJ play when it counts, and give him a chance atleast.

milkman
09-22-2004, 10:21 AM
I still would like to see LJ play when it counts, and give him a chance atleast.

Uuuhh, 'Be Careful what you wish for' comes to mind.

David.
09-22-2004, 10:24 AM
The reason LJ is on the bench, aside from the fact that Priest is one of the top 3 backs in the league, is that he looked like Donnell Bennett against 2nd and 3rd string Ds in the preseason.

With that in mind, hell, you can't even say he's as good as Bennett.

come off it already, you don't mention the fact that LJ was running behind our 2nd and 3rd string Oline do you. A RB can't score if he doesn't have blocking. Put Priest behind our 2nd string line and I bet he does worse than LJ. Why don't you give the guy a chance before you call him a bust. Jesus, some of you people are SO ****ing shortsighted.

milkman
09-22-2004, 10:29 AM
LJ got some plays with our 1st team offense in the preseason.
Priest saw very little game action.

LJ didn't do anything in those plays.

Defend him all you want.

But he isn't as good as Blaylock, much less Priest.

David.
09-22-2004, 10:32 AM
LJ got some plays with our 1st team offense in the preseason.
Priest saw very little game action.

LJ didn't do anything in those plays.

Defend him all you want.

But he isn't as good as Blaylock, much less Priest.

I saw maybe 5 plays with him in our first team offense and he did fine. I'm just saying give him a chance in a REAL NFL game. Before you write him off as a bust.

ChiTown
09-22-2004, 10:36 AM
I saw maybe 5 plays with him in our first team offense and he did fine. I'm just saying give him a chance in a REAL NFL game. Before you write him off as a bust.

He's not a bust, he's just a head case, which could ultimately make him a bust.

David.
09-22-2004, 10:37 AM
He's not a bust, he's just a head case, which could ultimately make him a bust.

why? Because he didn't sign someones helmet? Because he was dissappointed that he hasn't got a shot to prove himself in the NFL? Please, who cares if he's a "nice guy" I want to see if the guy can tote the rock.

David.
09-22-2004, 10:38 AM
you realize after I post "tote the rock" he's going to get caught with crack. My luck. It's astounding.

ChiTown
09-22-2004, 10:40 AM
why? Because he didn't sign someones helmet? Because he was dissappointed that he hasn't got a shot to prove himself in the NFL? Please, who cares if he's a "nice guy" I want to see if the guy can tote the rock.

Because he pouts, complains, and has done nothing (other than Priests injury) to overtake the #2 spot on the roster. I think he's got a world of talent. I just don't know if that talent can overcome that 5 cent noodle he has on his shoulders.

Sure-Oz
09-22-2004, 10:40 AM
Blaylock is not an everydown back, i dont see him carrying the load 20+ times a game for 16 games.

milkman
09-22-2004, 10:42 AM
Blaylock is not an everydown back, i dont see him carrying the load 20+ times a game for 16 games.

That's what the Ravens thought about Priest.

Sure-Oz
09-22-2004, 10:45 AM
Priest actually showed some skills wuith the ravens and had a 1000 yard season, i dont know they were on to doubt he wasnt good.

milkman
09-22-2004, 10:46 AM

And all he did was run into piles.

He did get that TD run, when the announcers talked about him breaking a tackle.

I thought "WTF are they talking about?"
The defender who's tackle he alledgedly broke was falling down, and got a forearm on him.

Other than that he did absolutely Jackshit.

If he has to play, I pray to God I'm wrong, and you're right.
But I ain't counting on it.

philfree
09-22-2004, 10:47 AM
One may start but they'll both play if Holmes can't go. Situationally speaking LJ behind T-Rich in short yardage might not be a bad idea.We just saw Blaylock get stuffed last Sunday so a little more size and strength can't hurt at certain times in the game.

PhilFree :arrow:

milkman
09-22-2004, 10:48 AM
The Ravens didn't think that Priest could carry the load, and that he wouldn't be able to duplicate those numbers.
That's why they drafted Lewis.

milkman
09-22-2004, 10:49 AM
The Ravens didn't think that Priest could carry the load, and that he wouldn't be able to duplicate those numbers.
That's why they drafted Lewis.

milkman
09-22-2004, 10:55 AM

And all he did was run into piles.

He did get that TD run, when the announcers talked about him breaking a tackle.

I thought "WTF are they talking about?"
The defender who's tackle he alledgedly broke was falling down, and got a forearm on him.

Other than that he did absolutely Jackshit.

If he has to play, I pray to God I'm wrong, and you're right.
But I ain't counting on it.