PDA

View Full Version : I just got my Star Wars Trilogy DVD set in the mail today.

John_Wayne
09-21-2004, 08:20 PM
Cool. :thumb:

I bought it thru Sam's Club online. I got it for $44.

Demonpenz
09-21-2004, 08:21 PM
Han solo shoots greedo first!

J Diddy
09-21-2004, 08:22 PM
Cool it is. Good is price.

(my pathetic yoda impersonation)

Deberg_1990
09-21-2004, 08:27 PM
Ill probably resist my temptations and give in to the Dark Side.Ill get them eventually..even though I know that Lucas will probably release another version in 5 or 6 years........Damnit George!!

John_Wayne
09-21-2004, 08:28 PM
I was a Star Wars junkie as a child. I was born in '69. I guess almost anyone close to my age was a Star Wars junkie back then. I almost forgot how much I liked these movies. I hope my children will appreciate them the way I did. Probably not though.

KcMizzou
09-21-2004, 08:31 PM
I had the Darth Vader-shaped plastic carrying case, with all my little action figures in it. I was a Star Wars geek as a kid.

I'll buy the set at some point.

Jenson71
09-21-2004, 08:34 PM
I bought two dvds today.

The special edition of La Dolce Vita came out, so I had to get that. (It's not Criterion, for those wondering. I'm pretty sure they don't make a Criterion Dolce)

I also picked up Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon for $10. I've never seen it, but I heard it's a lot like Hero (and I loved that).

Battle of Algiers was supposed to come out today, but Criterion moved it back to October.

John Cassevettes: Five Films also came out today, on Criterion. I want to see them, but I ain't dishing out the 100.

KcMizzou
09-21-2004, 08:38 PM
I also picked up Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon for $10. I've never seen it, but I heard it's a lot like Hero (and I loved that).

You know... I really liked Hero. But Crouching Tiger bores the hell out of me. I swear I've tried to watch it three times, and I can never get through it.

Sure-Oz
09-21-2004, 08:39 PM
Went to Best Buy to get mine and was greeted by Luke and the Emporer at the stand, emporer tapped the back of my shoulder "want a magazine woohahahah!" I was like ****!! Scared the piss out of me, it was funny though. I got the WS edition there were many FS one's available, FS sucks WS all the way baby! It was kinda funny to see them light saber fight as well, atleast they were getting payed to act stupid.

Iowanian
09-21-2004, 08:41 PM
Thats great GoGunther.

I heard you've named a chapter in your life story about your sex life after a character.........HANd Solo.

Jenson71
09-21-2004, 08:42 PM
You know... I really liked Hero. But Crouching Tiger bores the hell out of me. I swear I've tried to watch it three times, and I can never get through it.

Well dammit. You shoulda told me that and I'd just rent it. It's all your fault if I don't like it.

KcMizzou
09-21-2004, 08:45 PM
Well dammit. You shoulda told me that and I'd just rent it. It's all your fault if I don't like it. You probably will. You seem to take your movies a lot more seriously than I do.

BTW.. do you post on the Rottentomatoes.com forums? Seems like you'd fit right in there....

(that's not an insult...)

Sure-Oz
09-21-2004, 08:50 PM
I liked crouching tiger hidden dragon. I had to watch it with sub's got annoying in english.

Jenson71
09-21-2004, 08:53 PM
Nah, too big for me. Here's a great link to a very small site that's basically run by kids my age that are absolute film geniuses.

http://moviefan.proboards20.com/

They're even more insane than me. But they love all the movies I do. Sometimes, they bug the hell outta me cause they're too pure. I sometimes question the classics, they really buy into it - all of it.

For instance, if some great old Russian director made a movie about a chair, and all it showed was a chair for 2 hours and some background music, and it's supposed to be "revolutionary" to some critic, they would instantly proclaim the movie as

"THE GREATEST PIECE OF ART EVER MADE!!!"
"I HAVE SEEN PERFECTION, AND THIS IS IT!!!"
"BY GOD, IT'S BEAUTIFUL, EMOTIONAL, AND STUNNING!!!"

Also, they always call it film. Just call it a movie sometimes. I call it film sometimes, but usually it's a movie.

Jenson71
09-21-2004, 09:02 PM
Now, here's me. I'm a pretty big Bergman fan. Wild Strawberries, The Seventh Seal - two of my huge favorites.

Bergman made a movie called Scenes From a Marriage. And aside from great acting (and I mean great), to me it was valueless. Maybe you have to be married to fully appreciate it, but I didn't think it really captured real life. Maybe it does though, I don't know. I can't see too many couples acting like that though. The on again off again relationship is my problem.

Anyway, there's a kid there's who 13 friggen years old who claims it to be one of his top 20 movies. Okay, kid. Have some pot.

|Zach|
09-21-2004, 09:03 PM
Ever seen Buffalo '66?

Count Alex's Losses
09-21-2004, 09:04 PM
They change Boba Fett's voice. :(

Jenson71
09-21-2004, 09:04 PM
Ever seen Buffalo '66?

No. Haven't seen any Gallo movie. I've heard he's a little like ma boy Woody though.

KcMizzou
09-21-2004, 09:06 PM
Anyway, there's a kid there's who 13 friggen years old who claims it to be one of his top 20 movies. Okay, kid. Have some pot. Yeah, I know what you mean. RT is full of people like that. They claim to like what they think they're supposed to like.

I enjoy whatever "films" entertain me... and that's a wide range. I mean... being entertained is really the point, isn't it?

|Zach|
09-21-2004, 09:06 PM
No. Haven't seen any Gallo movie. I've heard he's a little like ma boy Woody though.
I think you would really like it. It is very enjoyable. I can't even explain it there is jsut something special about it.

Count Alex's Losses
09-21-2004, 09:07 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. RT is full of people like that. They claim to like what they think they're supposed to like.

I enjoy whatever "films" entertain me... and that's a wide range. I mean... being entertained is really the point, isn't it?

Yes, that is the point. Paycheck should never have been made though. :shake:

Saulbadguy
09-21-2004, 09:08 PM
Picked my copy up at Best Buy, along with Star Wars: Battlefront, and a free magazine.

Jenson71
09-21-2004, 09:12 PM
Zach, I'll check it out soon. :thumb:

KcMizzou, yeah that's usually the point, I agree. Although there's a lot of cases where it's not just about entertainment. Movies are the ultimate art, imo. Books, paintings, and music all combined to one. Movies are still fairly new, and haven't reached the same level of respect as books, imo. You can learn a lot from reading To Kill a Mockingbird. You can also learn a lot from watching it. But, people take whatever they want to from art. That's why it will be everlasting. :thumb:

JBret, gochiefs, whatever. I gotta admit, Paycheck is a very guilty pleasure. It's all about the Uma.

Deberg_1990
09-21-2004, 10:21 PM
I was a Star Wars junkie as a child. I was born in '69. I guess almost anyone close to my age was a Star Wars junkie back then. I almost forgot how much I liked these movies. I hope my children will appreciate them the way I did. Probably not though.

Year right....i was born in 1970..so for most of us around this age these movies shaped our childhoods........Id love for my kids to appreciate them the way we do, but I doubt it? Kids today would probably think they are too slow placed! hahaha....

Miles
09-21-2004, 10:34 PM
I bought two dvds today.

The special edition of La Dolce Vita came out, so I had to get that. (It's not Criterion, for those wondering. I'm pretty sure they don't make a Criterion Dolce)

Your right, criterion doesnt have a release. Have you had a chance to check it out yet? How is the transfer? I have seen other Koch Lorber releases and they are pretty damn good but not criterion buy they are better priced.

Still i cant wait to see it and its at the top of my netflix cue. Been wating for this release for quite a while.

|Zach|
09-21-2004, 10:39 PM
I was born in '83 and I really enjoy Star Wars but its never been a huge deal to me. My friends like it a lot more than I do and I have always gone along with that. It will be interesting to see how folks younger than me take to Star Wars.

Miles
09-21-2004, 10:41 PM
Now, here's me. I'm a pretty big Bergman fan. Wild Strawberries, The Seventh Seal - two of my huge favorites.

Bergman made a movie called Scenes From a Marriage. And aside from great acting (and I mean great), to me it was valueless. Maybe you have to be married to fully appreciate it, but I didn't think it really captured real life. Maybe it does though, I don't know. I can't see too many couples acting like that though. The on again off again relationship is my problem.

Anyway, there's a kid there's who 13 friggen years old who claims it to be one of his top 20 movies. Okay, kid. Have some pot.

Havent seen it but i have read it isnt one of his better efforts. Have you seen Persona yet. Pretty messed up movie...

KcMizzou
09-21-2004, 10:42 PM
I was born in '83 and I really enjoy Star Wars but its never been a huge deal to me. My friends like it a lot more than I do and I have always gone along with that. It will be interesting to see how folks younger than me take to Star Wars. My boys (6 and 7) are HUGE Lord of the Rings fans... I wonder how they'll feel about those movies when they're my age.

Count Alex's Losses
09-21-2004, 10:44 PM
I think many younger kids can appreciate the star wars saga. I used to babysit for a couple of boys that loved the old star wars films.

AZORChiefFan
09-21-2004, 10:45 PM
I gave in, said I wouldn't what with the chinless one changing them. I got it for $39 US.

Cochise
09-21-2004, 10:45 PM
I liked Crouching Tiger a lot. You have to have the right mindset though, it's more like a movie version of a fairy tale or an old legend or something, than a real action film.

TheNextStep
09-22-2004, 02:09 AM
Ill probably resist my temptations and give in to the Dark Side.

My labors over the past couple of years are finally starting to bear fruit!

Anyway, Star Wars is alright. I'm sure I'll buy it eventually... but I'm certainly in no rush. I don't think anybody in their early 30s will ever forget how many freakin' times Showtime or HBO showed those Goddamned movies when we were kids. I've no "gotta see it right this instant" vibe going on...

Ari Chi3fs
09-22-2004, 02:12 AM
I used to babysit for a couple of boys ...
whoa! scary. Dont EVER do that again. Im sure those boys are scarred for life. Way to go... GoBret.

in a few days, torrent will hook me up. I have no doubt. Lucas has enough of my cash already in his acct.

Count Alex's Losses
09-22-2004, 02:15 AM
whoa! scary. Dont EVER do that again. Im sure those boys are scarred for life. Way to go... GoBret.

in a few days, torrent will hook me up. I have no doubt. Lucas has enough of my cash already in his acct.

Dude, they're already all over SuprNova.