ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   greatest ATHLETE of all time... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=120734)

Rain Man 08-04-2005 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chagrin
Well put. ya old fart

(Thorpe was a superior athlete though - you are right about that)

And what the heck, you want them to have a royal rumble?

"Next up is boxing. Round 1: Lance Armstrong versus Larry Allen."

katman1 08-04-2005 01:48 PM

Greatest athlete

When it comes to scoring (with women) Wilt Chamberlain hands down.

Rain Man 08-04-2005 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-Mac
Found these numbers just for comparison:

Bo Jackson-ran a 10.39 second time in the 100 meters dash.

Jim Thorpe-ran 11 second time in the 100 meter dash(Olympics)

Hey, that's pretty cool.

The next question is, do we assume that we could give Jim Thorpe the nutrition and training regimen that Bo got? If so, I'll bet Jim would beat him. If not, then Bo wins.

Tinlar 08-04-2005 03:14 PM

*spits in the dirt* Bo Jackson should be on the list.

Clint in Wichita 08-04-2005 03:28 PM

As far as pure physical ability, Bo Jackson is at the top. A Pro Bowler in the NFL and an All-Star in MLB.

Carl Lewis is right there IMO.

Rain Man 08-04-2005 03:32 PM

As an interesting exercise, maybe we should define 20 sports that, in combination, would comprise "the world's greatest athlete." Then we would go through and rate how we think a list of candidate would rank in each of those sports.

If no one minds, I'll start a new thread about that.

Son of Logical 08-04-2005 04:01 PM

Jim Thorpe. Won the Decatholon, the Pentatholon in the same olympics, also was a pro baseball player, and pro football player. There shouldn't even be an argument. He is by far the greatest athlete ever. I don't understand how people overlook this guy.

Rain Man 08-04-2005 04:05 PM

I'm sure I'll be ridiculed for this, but having seen him in person, I think Dennis Rodman is a legitimate candidate for this list. That guy had an amazing physique, and I think it all came naturally without even working out very much.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 08-04-2005 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titanman64
Jim Thorpe. Won the Decatholon, the Pentatholon in the same olympics, also was a pro baseball player, and pro football player. There shouldn't even be an argument. He is by far the greatest athlete ever. I don't understand how people overlook this guy.

Maybe it has something to do with him dying over 50 years ago :shrug:

Son of Logical 08-04-2005 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla
Maybe it has something to do with him dying over 50 years ago :shrug:

Yeah, well FDR died over 50 years ago as well, maybe if people brought up a list of the greatest Presidents he could be easily over looked sinse he died so long ago aswell.

I am just saying who can argue against that type of versatile achievements at a professional level. All I know is if I could emulate anyones athletic ability ever it would be Jim Thorpes. Give me his ability and combine it with the athletic regiments that have been around since I was born, I am telling you he would be the best athlete out there today.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 08-04-2005 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titanman64
Yeah, well FDR died over 50 years ago as well, maybe if people brought up a list of the greatest Presidents he could be easily over looked sinse he died so long ago aswell.

I am just saying who can argue against that type of versatile achievements at a professional level. All I know is if I could emulate anyones athletic ability ever it would be Jim Thorpes. Give me his ability and combine it with the athletic regiments that have been around since I was born, I am telling you he would be the best athlete out there today.

oh I agree with you about Thorpe, I'm just saying that a lot of people just don't know about him. People don't learn about Thorpe in their school's history books like they would FDR, and ESPN sure doesn't talk about sports history unless it's baseball.

WolfDawg 08-04-2005 04:42 PM

Jim Brown

Rausch 08-04-2005 04:43 PM

Montana is a good argument for best QB of all time but not Athlete.

As far as pure talent I'd go with Bo Jackson, Jim Brown, or Ali...

Son of Logical 08-04-2005 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla
oh I agree with you about Thorpe, I'm just saying that a lot of people just don't know about him. People don't learn about Thorpe in their school's history books like they would FDR, and ESPN sure doesn't talk about sports history unless it's baseball.

I could see your point there, but I think a person would be hard pressed to find a truly knowledgable sports person that didn't know who Jim Thorpe was. I pretty sure they made a movie about him. He also did make the top 10 of ESPN 100 greatest athletes. I think he was number 5. Not saying I support that list though, they did have Jordan at number one. I mean if the list was 100 greatest athletes that dominated their one sport, I could see the argument. Overall greatest athlete, I think not.

Son of Logical 08-04-2005 04:51 PM

I also want to ask, maybe I just don't get it. Why is Ali considered one of the world greastest athletes. I do agree that he was probably the world greatest boxer, but did he do something else besides box. I know Jim Brown played all types of sports, and did it very well, as did Bo. But Ali as far as I know only boxed.