ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV John Carter (of Mars) trailer (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=247147)

Frosty 06-18-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9759278)
I've watched this film several times since my initial scathing review and I've really enjoyed it. The biggest issue was that there were so many sub-plots to decipher, which was next to impossible with a single viewing. After watching the film as many as five time, I know see and understand the genius behind it.

Disney's biggest mistake with this film was marketing. They kept changing the title and rushing Andrew Stanton. What they should have done was to put together a 10 minute short film to explain the different cultures on Mars and how an "outsider" would affect their planet (or something along those lines) and run it before one of the Marvel film (along with releasing it online).

The bottom line for me is that it's just way too much information and back story for a single viewing.

Yeah, if you haven't read the books ( and I've only read through part of the first), it doesn't make as much sense.

They should have also kept the "Of Mars" part of the title (or kept the "Princess of Mars" title from the book).

Deberg_1990 06-18-2013 11:57 AM

I liked it. It's not nearly as bad as people made it out to be. I've noticed critics like to attack movies based on budgets a lot. It's like they get the knives out ready to attack whenever something with a big budget flops.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud 06-18-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9759330)
I liked it. It's not nearly as bad as people made it out to be. I've noticed critics like to attack movies based on budgets a lot. It's like they get the knives out ready to attack whenever something with a big budget flops.
Posted via Mobile Device

It didn't lose money but it didn't earn any money.

I've spoken to several people that advised Disney to do something more with the trailers, with the title, with the overall marketing but they refused to listen.

Unfortunately, it happens.

DaneMcCloud 06-18-2013 12:07 PM

Good God, I just watched the trailer linked in this thread for the first time.

:facepalm:

What a horrible choice in music, the edits, etc. Wow, just awful.

Lzen 06-18-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AphexPhin (Post 9759267)
worst films I've seen since 2003 in no particular order

Crash
John Carter
Battleship
Clash of the Titans
Spiderman 3
Gangster Squad
Bad Boys 2
Transformers
Indiana Jones 4 (probably the worst)
Revenge of the Sith

I'm not counting all the Eddie Murphy, Jack Black, Martin Lawerence or Adam Sandler films. Those are films you know what you're getting into which is why I boycott them

You apparently haven't seen Paranormal Activity 4.

listopencil 06-18-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9759351)
Good God, I just watched the trailer linked in this thread for the first time.

:facepalm:

What a horrible choice in music, the edits, etc. Wow, just awful.

I know. I enjoyed the series of books as a teen. I'm a fan of this type of science fiction and it was grueling for me personally to see how the film was handled. I feel as if somebody stumbled into a diamond mine, grabbed a small dirty bit of dust, crammed it into their asshole then wore it proudly around town for six weeks. Frustrating and disappointing.

007 06-18-2013 03:45 PM

I thought this movie was great. Of course, because of this forum I went in completely expecting it to be awful. I've seen it 3 times now and each time I catch something I didn't catch before.

calling it the worst movie of the last 10 years? This shouldn't even be on the list of the worst 50.

Deberg_1990 10-21-2014 04:41 PM

Disney lost the rights, so now there might be a sequel.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/10/prweb12253636.htm

Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc. announces that the movie, television and merchandise rights have reverted back to the company. Walt Disney Pictures held the rights and produced the movie JOHN CARTER in 2012. Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc. will be seeking a new studio to continue this seminal Sci-Fi adventure.
“John Carter of Mars was the creative stimulus behind such movie classics as Superman, Star Wars and Avatar,” said James Sullos, President. “Edgar Rice Burroughs was the Master of Adventure and his literary works continue to enjoy a world-wide following. We will be seeking a new partner to help develop new adventures on film as chronicled in the eleven Mars novels Burroughs wrote. This adventure never stops. Along with a new TARZAN film in development by Warner Bros., we hope to have JOHN CARTER OF MARS become another major franchise to entertain world-wide audiences of all ages.”
About Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc.
Founded in 1923 by Edgar Rice Burroughs himself, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc. holds numerous trademarks and the rights to all literary works of the author still protected by copyright. The company has overseen every adaptation of his literary works in publishing, film, television, theatrical stage productions, licensing and merchandising. The company is still a very active enterprise and manages and licenses the vast archive of Mr. Burroughs' literary works, fictional characters and corresponding artworks that have grown for over a century. The company continues to be owned by the Burroughs family and remains headquartered in Tarzana, California, the town named after the Tarzana Ranch Mr. Burroughs purchased there in 1918 which led to the town's future development. For more information, please visit EdgarRiceBurroughs.com.

listopencil 10-21-2014 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 11036750)
Disney lost the rights, so now there might be a sequel.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/10/prweb12253636.htm

Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc. announces that the movie, television and merchandise rights have reverted back to the company. Walt Disney Pictures held the rights and produced the movie JOHN CARTER in 2012. Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc. will be seeking a new studio to continue this seminal Sci-Fi adventure.
“John Carter of Mars was the creative stimulus behind such movie classics as Superman, Star Wars and Avatar,” said James Sullos, President. “Edgar Rice Burroughs was the Master of Adventure and his literary works continue to enjoy a world-wide following. We will be seeking a new partner to help develop new adventures on film as chronicled in the eleven Mars novels Burroughs wrote. This adventure never stops. Along with a new TARZAN film in development by Warner Bros., we hope to have JOHN CARTER OF MARS become another major franchise to entertain world-wide audiences of all ages.”
About Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc.
Founded in 1923 by Edgar Rice Burroughs himself, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc. holds numerous trademarks and the rights to all literary works of the author still protected by copyright. The company has overseen every adaptation of his literary works in publishing, film, television, theatrical stage productions, licensing and merchandising. The company is still a very active enterprise and manages and licenses the vast archive of Mr. Burroughs' literary works, fictional characters and corresponding artworks that have grown for over a century. The company continues to be owned by the Burroughs family and remains headquartered in Tarzana, California, the town named after the Tarzana Ranch Mr. Burroughs purchased there in 1918 which led to the town's future development. For more information, please visit EdgarRiceBurroughs.com.

Good news. There is such a wealth of storytelling in those books. I'd love to see the series done well.
<script status="whitelisted" id="yarip-default-script" type="text/javascript">var yarip = { $: function(xpath) { var arr = []; var xr = document.evaluate(xpath, document, null, XPathResult.ORDERED_NODE_SNAPSHOT_TYPE, null); if (xr) for (var i = 0; i < xr.snapshotLength; i++) { var e = xr.snapshotItem(i); if (e && (e.nodeType !== 1 || !/^yarip-/.test(e.id))) { arr.push(e); } } return arr; }, run: function(fun, xpath) { var arr = this.$(xpath); if (arr.length > 0) fun.call(this, arr); } }</script><script status="whitelisted" id="yarip-element-script_www-chiefsplanet-com_0" type="text/javascript">yarip.run(function (array) { for (var i = 0; i < array.length; i++) { var element = array[i]; console.debug("Found element:", element); } }, "/html/body/div/div[@class='page']/div/div[1]"); </script>

Rausch 10-22-2014 12:34 AM

It just became obvious to me that the "Planet Hulk" storyline was a clear homage (or ripoff) of the John Carter series...

keg in kc 03-08-2015 03:11 PM

Was just on TNT so I finally saw it. Now I'm sad it's all we got. What horrendous marketing.

Buehler445 03-08-2015 08:09 PM

So you're saying it wasn't bad? I'm not sure I understand what you are getting at.

DaneMcCloud 03-08-2015 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 11369327)
So you're saying it wasn't bad? I'm not sure I understand what you are getting at.

I thought it was a very good, if not great, film.

Terrible marketing, bad title.

keg in kc 03-09-2015 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 11369327)

I thought it was good. And the victim of some of the worst marketing I've ever seen. Start with just calling it "John Carter" (yeah, that'll grab people's attention) and then move on to the trailers.

It wasn't great, but it could've been the start of something great.

DaneMcCloud 03-09-2015 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 11370477)
I thought it was good. And the victim of some of the worst marketing I've ever seen. Start with just calling it "John Carter" (yeah, that'll grab people's attention) and then move on to the trailers.

It wasn't great, but it could've been the start of something great.

It was supposed to be a trilogy and the last I heard (Memorial Day weekend of 2014), Andrew Stanton and Disney haven't completely shut the door on it yet but Stanton is busy preparing Finding Dory.