ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals Do you want to see Miguel Cabrera win MLBs Triple Crown? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264491)

SAUTO 10-03-2012 06:34 PM

I think djln made the best argument for his side here.

He won me as a juror over and I started in this thread totally open minded.

The ole "Jacoby Ellsbury" defense turned the tide.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pasta Little Brioni 10-03-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8974033)
Moving forward to game 163.

You?

At least somebody sees the game for what it is. It's cool, but playoffs don't start till they win that bad boy. :D

Lex Luthor 10-03-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Badguy (Post 8974531)
I see. You don't know what "straw man" means. That makes sense.

No, I was just trying to be nice in order to keep the peace. I can see the gesture was wasted on you.

Saul Good 10-03-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 8974969)
No, I was just trying to be nice in order to keep the peace. I can see the gesture was wasted on you.

On the one hand, you accuse me of constructing a straw man (that is to say that I created a position that nobody had taken and proceeded to attack said position).

On the other hand, you say that you weren't responding to anyone else's quote when you accused me of constructing a straw man.

It's pretty difficult, nay impossible, to determine whether or not I have responded to an argument that someone else has made if you are ignoring the positions of others. It's okay, Brainiac. I realize that sometimes people use words they don't understand.

kcxiv 10-03-2012 11:25 PM

MIggy should win the MVP no doubt about it. If he doesnt, its a ****ing shame. His team is in the play offs and a triple crown, solid defense. It HAS to happen.

Anyways, Gratz on the triple crown dude. Good to see someone get that in my life time. didnt think it would happen.

KC_Connection 10-04-2012 12:39 AM

Trout is the best and most valuable player in baseball. Trout is an elite hitter, fielder, and baserunner whereas Cabrera is only one of those things. Trout should be MVP.

BWillie 10-04-2012 12:40 AM

I am sickened that Kansas City fans cheered for this piece of shit when he was taken out and was assured the triple crown.

KC_Connection 10-04-2012 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8974024)
Elsbury would've gotten steamrolled in the MVP voting by the season that Cabrera's putting up right now. He damn near got passed by Bautista who's stat line was inferior to Cabrera's almost across the board and who played in a far far better hitters environment. And whether you like it or not, Bautista's team didn't make the playoffs and he didn't finish the with absolutely torrid stretch that Cabrera had. Cabrera has a significantly stronger case this year than Bautista had last year.

Bautista's 2011 offensively (.441 wOBA, 181 wRC+) actually was better than Cabrera's 2012 (.417 wOBA, 167 wRC+). So was Cabrera's 2011 (.436 wOBA, 167 wRC+) for that matter. And Cabrera's 2010 (.429 wOBA, 169 wRC+). The big difference was that he just had more RBI than in the past (which is a product of opportunity more than anything else).

Quote:

This idea that Trout's having a historic season is just wrong. He's having a historic season for a rookie, but the season itself is just another in the long line of very very good power/speed seasons.
Trout is having the best season overall in baseball since the great Barry Bonds was mashing in the early 2000s. What he's done is absolutely incredible and he should most certainly be awarded for it.

Take a read: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...asuring-value/

KC_Connection 10-04-2012 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 8975889)
I am sickened that Kansas City fans cheered for this piece of shit when he was taken out and was assured the triple crown.

It's funny how people will boo and throw shit at suspected steroid users while cheer for drunk driving buffoons like Cabrera.

BigMeatballDave 10-04-2012 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8975899)
It's funny how people will boo and throw shit at suspected steroid users while cheer for drunk driving buffoons like Cabrera.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8975888)
Trout is the best and most valuable player in baseball. Trout is an elite hitter, fielder, and baserunner whereas Cabrera is only one of those things. Trout should be MVP.

LOL @ your hate for Cabrera

If I were there, I would have cheered.

You don't understand how huge this is.

Its a great feat.

Its been 45 years since anyone has done this

45 years.

They weren't cheering so much for Cabrera as they were what he did.

You have to respect that, if you're a baseball fan.

KC_Connection 10-04-2012 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8975906)
LOL @ your hate for Cabrera

I don't hate Cabrera at all. He's a fantastic hitter, he's probably the best hitter in the game. Unfortunately, as Jose Bautista is 2010 and 2011 can attest, that doesn't mean he's the MVP. That's for the best and most valuable player in the game, which was obviously Trout for anybody that watched that guy play this season. MCab should win the Hank Aaron Award, though.

Quote:

You don't understand how huge this is.

Its a great feat.

Its been 45 years since anyone has done this

45 years.
45 years since anyone has done what exactly? Hit for a really high average and racked up some rather arbitrary counting stats that rely largely on opportunity? Baseball analysis has advanced to the point where there are better and more effective ways to evaluate players than this. Barry Bonds, for example, spent like 3/4 of his career with offensive seasons better than this one.

Quote:

They weren't cheering so much for Cabrera as they were what he did.

You have to respect that, if you're a baseball fan.
Oh, I respect his season just fine. I just also recognize that he was even better than this in both 2010 and 2011.

BigMeatballDave 10-04-2012 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8975922)

45 years since anyone has done what exactly? Hit for a really high average and racked up some rather arbitrary counting stats that rely largely on opportunity? Baseball analysis has advanced to the point where there are better and more effective ways to evaluate players than this. Barry Bonds, for example, spent like 3/4 of his career with offensive seasons better than this one.

Barry Bonds? Really? I suppose you don't think he was using PEDs.
2006 https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...aCkSQrrDc7iRDw

2012 http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/.c...ndsbicycle.jpg

KC_Connection 10-04-2012 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8975966)
Barry Bonds? Really? I suppose you don't think he was using PEDs.

Of course he was using PEDs (like a large percentage of the rest of the MLB players at that time were). I'm not sure how that's relevant here or how that changes the fact that he's one of the best hitters of all time and spent the bulk of his career putting up seasons better than Miggy's 2012 despite never leading the league once in the arbitrary, dated assemblage of AVG, HR, and RBI categories (or as it is most commonly referred to, the Triple Crown). The rarity of an event doesn't equate to meaning or importance and it certainly doesn't in this case. Baseball analysis and evaluation has evolved.

Al Bundy 10-04-2012 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8975888)

I have to disagree.... the at the last 2 months numbers wise... Trout has gone south, Cabrera has gone north. Cabrera is the MVP.

Al Bundy 10-04-2012 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 8975889)

Why?