ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs @nfldraftscout (Matt Miller) will be on 610 from 1-2 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269046)

HolyHat 01-18-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 9331792)
Does Joekel improve our team over Albert more than Smith improves our team over Quinn or Cassel? I think the answer should be obvious.

Some people are saying Cassel should still start...

No thanks

Chiefaholic 01-18-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9331255)
Here's my big question -

If Geno Smith isn't worth the #1 overall pick, what pick is he worth? 7? 10? 15?

At what point would the Chiefs look at the board and say, "He's our guy."

Because it seems to me that, if he isn't worth the #1 overall pick, then he isn't worth a first round pick period.

And since our 2nd rounder is basically a first, would they even take him there? What's the ****ing difference between getting him at 1 and getting him at #34? Either way, he is going to be your QB for the foreseeable future. Either way, you're probably not drafting a first round QB next year.

So why wouldn't you just take him at #1? I still can't believe there's a single player in this draft who is appreciably better than Geno Smith.

I just don't believe in Best Player Available. Or, rather, I believe it should be Most IMPACTFUL Player Available. The MIPA.

You cannot tell me there is a more impactful player than Geno Smith or Tyler Wilson - whoever is better - in this draft.

Star Lotuleilei will not give you more wins than Geno or Wilson. He won't. Period. Joeckel won't either. What, he's going to come in and allow ZERO sacks? Because that's the only way to improve on Albert's play this year.

It's just so ****ing infuriating. It makes no sense to have turned our backs on the QB position in this draft already.

Perhaps the Chiefs are being smart about this and not tipping their cap as to who they plan to take. This makes the #1 overall that much more valuable if somebody in the 2-4 spot are terrified you might take their guy.

HolyHat 01-18-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefaholic (Post 9331831)
Perhaps the Chiefs are being smart about this and not tipping their cap as to who they plan to take. This makes the #1 overall that much more valuable if somebody in the 2-4 spot are terrified you might take their guy.

Problem is, nobody in this draft is worth getting a chub over in the first 10 picks. A lot of really good players are going to end up middle to late round.

The thing we have to worry about is the Jags or Raiders falling in love with Geno and worried we will take him, so they throw some blockbuster trade at us. If that happens, Dorsey will probably bite.

BossChief 01-18-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9331693)
So, you're of the opinion that Smith can bypass throwing at the Combine, yet still be drafted #1 overall?

You know better than this, bro.

The top quarterback prospects ALWAYS bypass throwing at the combine. It's for multiple reasons...

1) they would be throwing to receivers they have spent only a day or two with and have no timing with and if their passes hit the ground, that marks against them, sometimes unfairly.

2) they want to throw at their proday because it not only helps them by throwing to familiar players, but it also gets their teammates more exposure to gms and scouts.

3) their agents advise against it because there is NOTHING to gain and EVERYTHING to lose.

Mark Sanchez was the only top QB that I can remember that threw at the combine....I'm not sure I remember any of the previous first overall quarterbacks doing so.

OmahaChief 01-18-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver5liter (Post 9331419)
You think that an ot would have a bigger impact then a QB. You have got to be kidding me. Branden Albert gave up one damn sack last year. Why the **** would we waste that pick on his replacement. Also no ****ing way you are getting a QB as good as Geno with out second pick, Zero.

We don't even know of Albert is going to be here long term yet. The tackle is being talked about as a can't miss type of guy while Smith is already being talked about high risk. A strong Oline can help any offense.

I would bet there will be a qb taken in the second round that will have a better career than Smith. Someone like Landry Jones might be that type of guy.

BossChief 01-18-2013 09:41 PM

When a QB works out, it doesn't matter where he was picked.

The guys who thought Brett Favre, Andy Dalton, Drew Brees, Colin Kaepernick, Russel Wilson and Aaron Rodgers weren't worth top 5 picks were fools.

If you identify a guy you think has a chance at leading your team, you take him as soon as you get a chance and that includes trading up to do so.

If we pass on a QB at the top pick, we deserve what we get.

BossChief 01-18-2013 09:42 PM

Who wouldn't go back and take Joe Flacco over Glenn Dorsey?

HolyHat 01-18-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9331904)
When a QB works out, it doesn't matter where he was picked.

The guys who thought Brett Favre, Andy Dalton, Drew Brees, Colin Kaepernick, Russel Wilson and Aaron Rodgers weren't worth top 5 picks were fools.

If you identify a guy you think has a chance at leading your team, you take him as soon as you get a chance and that includes trading up to do so.

If we pass on a QB at the top pick, we deserve what we get.

Great point, you identify a guy you see leading your team and you go with it. Who cares what pick or what round he is projected. Geno is an obvious playmaker that would do really well in Reid's system. I don't give a shit about having the best O-Line in the league, I'd rather have the 10th-15th best QB in the league.

DaneMcCloud 01-18-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9331874)
You know better than this, bro.

The top quarterback prospects ALWAYS bypass throwing at the combine. It's for multiple reasons...

1) they would be throwing to receivers they have spent only a day or two with and have no timing with and if their passes hit the ground, that marks against them, sometimes unfairly.

2) they want to throw at their proday because it not only helps them by throwing to familiar players, but it also gets their teammates more exposure to gms and scouts.

3) their agents advise against it because there is NOTHING to gain and EVERYTHING to lose.

Mark Sanchez was the only top QB that I can remember that threw at the combine....I'm not sure I remember any of the previous first overall quarterbacks doing so.

Yes, I understand why QB's projected to go #1 or #2 overall don't throw at the Combines.

But outside of this forum and a few ****ing dumbasses with websites, he's not the #1 overall pick and in some cases, isn't in the first round.

I do not understand what he gains by not throwing. If anything, it'll make the QB picture even more clouded, make scouts and GM's dig even deeper for flaws and puts an enormous amount of pressure on him to perform at his Pro Day.

aturnis 01-18-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rambozo (Post 9331103)
That's not what I am saying at all. I am saying draft a QB that has the skillset and has won the close ones and come through when it counted. Draft a QB that looks like he can develop into someone as good as Joe Flacco is NOW.

I'm saying if Reid and Dorsey think they can get one of the two (Geno or Wilson) in 20s on up in the first, then wait and do it. If that's the case, I think they will.

Our second and third round picks are good ones and most of those teams in the 20's have QBs. Someone like the Saints who lost draft picks might be willing to trade.

YOU ARE A ****ING IDIOT! GENO AND WILSON WILL BOTH BE TOP 15,PROBABLY TOP 10 PICKS!

KC, JACKSONVILLE, ARIZONA, OAKLAND, and BUFFALO ALL NEED QB'S.

aturnis 01-18-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9331117)
Except you are not including the original guy you draft. Assuming Albert isn't extended, people would really be upset walking out of the first three rounds of the draft with the best LT and Wilson?

No way in ****ing he'll you walk out with both. Besides, we have a LT.

BossChief 01-18-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9331935)
Yes, I understand why QB's projected to go #1 or #2 overall don't throw at the Combines.

But outside of this forum and a few ****ing dumbasses with websites, he's not the #1 overall pick and in some cases, isn't in the first round.

I do not understand what he gains by not throwing. If anything, it'll make the QB picture even more clouded, make scouts and GM's dig even deeper for flaws and puts an enormous amount of pressure on him to perform at his Pro Day.

What do you think he would gain by throwing?

There are 3 full seasons of tape of his throwing motion...for quarterbacks, the combine is for the interviews and to gauge athleticism through some individual drills.

Nothing more.

BossChief 01-18-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9331386)
If Smith refused to throw, his draft stock will plummet. He's already refused the Senior Bowl and regardless of what Chiefsplanet thinks of him, at this point in time, there are questions about him.

You think those questions will be answered by throwing to players he has only been around for a couple days and has no timing with?

BigMeatballDave 01-18-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmahaChief (Post 9331880)
We don't even know of Albert is going to be here long term yet. The tackle is being talked about as a can't miss type of guy while Smith is already being talked about high risk. A strong Oline can help any offense.

I would bet there will be a qb taken in the second round that will have a better career than Smith. Someone like Landry Jones might be that type of guy.

:spock:

BossChief 01-18-2013 10:31 PM

If these guys let Albert walk and draft Joeckel...the gloves are coming off and the honeymoon will OFFICIALLY be over.