ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ****Official 2013-14 Missouri Tiger Football Repository Thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271290)

Pepe Silvia 06-11-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9744702)
That's too bad. Players that are intelligent and able to perform in the classroom as well as on the field are a rare commodity. As such, the development of such athletes should be encouraged. Not only to create better student athletes, increase university prestige, etc. but from a football/coaching perspective, having smarter players generally allows you to be more creative and expand your playbook/philosophies. Working with dumb brutes who can't understand how to properly perform sight adjusts as an example, is a poor route to go down. While not every player is going to be a genius, ensuring that they are working academically also instills/builds discipline and prevents less opportunities for bad things to happen.

I have nothing against academics I should have elaborated more of what I was trying to say, I'm a college graduate myself and no I don't want dumb athletes that always get into trouble, however I don't feel that has anything to do with improving the football teams play on the field in the present. mizzou is in a very bad situation right now athletically and academics isn't going to change that, in fact Mizzous high academic standards have hurt the athletic program more than its helped it. Face it most of the best talent are dummies because they only know football. How many of their top recruits have had to go to JUCO because they can't hack it academically due to the high standards ala Sheldon Richardson? He was a moron who couldn't keep his yap shut but guess what? He was the best defensive player on the team.

patteeu 06-11-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 9744732)
I have nothing against academics I should have elaborated more of what I was trying to say, I'm a college graduate myself and no I don't want dumb athletes that always get into trouble, however I don't feel that has anything to do with improving the football teams play on the field in the present. mizzou is in a very bad situation right now athletically and academics isn't going to change that, in fact Mizzous high academic standards have hurt the athletic program more than its helped it. Face it most of the best talent are dummies because they only know football. How many of their top recruits have had to go to JUCO because they can't hack it academically due to the high standards ala Sheldon Richardson? He was a moron who couldn't keep his yap shut but guess what? He was the best defensive player on the team.

I don't think Mizzou standards are really much of a roadblock for young recruits. The NCAA sets the admission standard for Div 1 football, not the school. The school can have a higher standard if it wants to, but I'm pretty sure Mizzou doesn't do that.

Pepe Silvia 06-11-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9744874)
I don't think Mizzou standards are really much of a roadblock for young recruits. The NCAA sets the admission standard for Div 1 football, not the school. The school can have a higher standard if it wants to, but I'm pretty sure Mizzou doesn't do that.

My dad is an MU alum and was a former football/track player. He told me that a big reason MU's football team hit the pits in the 80's was due to some new female University President that MU had hired at that time. Supposedly she made the academic standards extremely difficult therefore making it hard to recruit good talent because a lot of the best athletes aren't too bright and they couldn't make the grades to get in. Going off what my dad said and what I've seen myself with several of the good MU JUCO recruits the last ten years that would be the case. Heck I remember my college advisor telling me my senior year that Mizzou,Baylor, and Colorado were hands down the most difficult Big 12 schools to get accepted into academically. I could be wrong but that whats its always seemed like to me. I do know they require a 21 score on the ACT as well, they probably make exceptions for scholarship players though.

DJ's left nut 06-12-2013 02:34 PM

Or maybe because Woody Widenhofer and Bob Stull were pretty shitty coaches...

Pepe Silvia 06-12-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9747503)
Or maybe because Woody Widenhofer and Bob Stull were pretty shitty coaches...

That didn't help either. You can also contribute the horrid facilities Mizzou had back then, it was God awful.

duncan_idaho 06-12-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 9746200)
My dad is an MU alum and was a former football/track player. He told me that a big reason MU's football team hit the pits in the 80's was due to some new female University President that MU had hired at that time. Supposedly she made the academic standards extremely difficult therefore making it hard to recruit good talent because a lot of the best athletes aren't too bright and they couldn't make the grades to get in. Going off what my dad said and what I've seen myself with several of the good MU JUCO recruits the last ten years that would be the case. Heck I remember my college advisor telling me my senior year that Mizzou,Baylor, and Colorado were hands down the most difficult Big 12 schools to get accepted into academically. I could be wrong but that whats its always seemed like to me. I do know they require a 21 score on the ACT as well, they probably make exceptions for scholarship players though.

You can take it back farther than that.

Missouri's biggest mistake was in hiring Frank Broyles instead of Bob Devaney, who wanted the job.

Devaney went to Nebraska and was dominant as college football started to take off. We know the rest. With no Devaney at Nebraska, there's no Osborne there, either.

My dad hates Babs Uehling, too, though. Her direction of the academic side - and refusal to seek or release investment to the facilities at Mizzou - really crippled not just football but also basically all other sports at Mizzou.

Pepe Silvia 06-12-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9747533)
You can take it back farther than that.

Missouri's biggest mistake was in hiring Frank Broyles instead of Bob Devaney, who wanted the job.

Devaney went to Nebraska and was dominant as college football started to take off. We know the rest. With no Devaney at Nebraska, there's no Osborne there, either.

My dad hates Babs Uehling, too, though. Her direction of the academic side - and refusal to seek or release investment to the facilities at Mizzou - really crippled not just football but also basically all other sports at Mizzou.

Bingo, told you guys, my dad is an MU alum, I had to believe him. They could have had Devaney? They really focked up, just wow. It could have been vice versa, ugh.

duncan_idaho 06-12-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 9747559)
Bingo, told you guys, my dad is an MU alum, I had to believe him. They could have had Devaney? They really focked up, just wow. It could have been vice versa, ugh.

Oh, and to top it off... I think Bill Snyder and Bob Stull were hired in the same year. Snider was a Iowa assistant from Missouri who SURELY would have taken that job over the worst job in college football had it been offered.

I don't think Snider was ever considered, but in hindsight...

Pepe Silvia 06-12-2013 03:06 PM

I think I have the cherry, wasn't Bud Wilkinson an assistant to Don Faurot who would go on to make Oklahoma a powerhouse?

duncan_idaho 06-12-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 9747600)
I think I have the cherry, wasn't Bud Wilkinson an assistant to Don Faurot who would go on to make Oklahoma a powerhouse?

Yes. But I can top that...

Wilkinson and Jim Tatum both learned the split-T (wishbone) offense that made Oklahoma a powerhouse from - guess who ...

Don Faurot. Who taught it to them while coaching Army teams during WWII. At the time, the split-T was a powerhouse that no one else really knew anything about it, and without video, it was much harder to pick up opposing offenses.

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-12-2013 03:38 PM

All of these coaching follies can be explained by my signature. There is something inherent in the university that will always cause such futility.

Saul Good 06-12-2013 03:39 PM

If you're not shooting yourself in the foot, you must be aiming too high.

patteeu 06-12-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9747781)
If you're not shooting yourself in the foot, you must be aiming too high.

LMAO Did you make that up or did you hear it somewhere?

Saul Good 06-12-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9747809)
LMAO Did you make that up or did you hear it somewhere?

I made it up, I think. I was in a bit of an altered state of consciousness a day or two ago, and it popped into my head...first chance I've had to use it.

Mosbonian 06-12-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9747705)
Yes. But I can top that...

Wilkinson and Jim Tatum both learned the split-T (wishbone) offense that made Oklahoma a powerhouse from - guess who ...

Don Faurot. Who taught it to them while coaching Army teams during WWII. At the time, the split-T was a powerhouse that no one else really knew anything about it, and without video, it was much harder to pick up opposing offenses.

There are some who believe that the Academic crowd still pretty much controls the actions of the University to it's detriment.