ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals Grading the Royals at the Halfway Mark (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274519)

gblowfish 07-15-2013 08:09 PM

Every time the Royals draw a big crowd at home, they lose. And the Royals staff knows this. It frustrates the Hell out of them, because every time they could make a big splash with a large house of paying customers, they shit the bed. Every single time.

Brianfo 07-15-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9810951)
Fielding Independent Pitching is a measurement of what a pitcher would do if you removed luck and defense from the equation, giving him league average luck on balls in play. It's an attempt to normalize for the pitchers who have good defense behind them, and who are riding good/bad streaks of luck in order to truly evaluate their worth.

xFIP adds in the league average HR/FB ratio to better normalize the measurement.

It works extremely well. If a pitcher has an xFIP higher than their ERA they are getting lucky. Lower and they are unlucky.

Further explanation:

Fielding Independent Pitching (FIP) measures what a player’s ERA should have looked like over a given time period, assuming that performance on balls in play and timing were league average. Back in the early 2000s, research by Voros McCracken revealed that the amount of balls that fall in for hits against pitchers do not correlate well across seasons. In other words, pitchers have little control over balls in play. McCracken outlined a better way to assess a pitcher’s talent level by looking at results a pitcher can control: strikeouts, walks, hit by pitches, and homeruns.

A walk is not as harmful as a homerun and a strikeout has less impact than both. FIP accounts for these kinds of differences, presenting the results on the same scale as ERA. It has been shown to be more effective than ERA in terms of predicting future performance and has become a mainstay in sabermetric analysis.

Its a royals thread fuqtard. Be on your way. You really are an annoying ****. Go beat off to stan musial.

Chiefshrink 07-15-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9814263)
I lay that at the feet of Yost. A team always reflects their manager. I remember Vermeil always telling the media...."we'll play anyone, anytime, any where. We'll go out an play in the parking lot right now if you want".

It's an attitude. The Royals need some of that mentality at the top.

Damn right it is but some here think Yost is not the problem:rolleyes:

Archie F. Swin 07-16-2013 05:50 AM

Its this time of the year that I typically begin to hate the fact that baseball is my favorite sport. It really becomes a burden. I looked that the MLB standings yesterday and really got depressed. It had become very clear that the Royals had so much more in common with the Mariners, Cubs, Blue Jays and Padres and very little in common with division leaders. Then, I look at the Cardinals record to pour salt on the wound.

How lame is it that we consider getting to .500 a goal? Rany referred to this as the "soft biggotry of low expectations" that we've long looked forward to the Royals being mediocre.

Chiefshrink 07-16-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 9814776)
"soft biggotry of low expectations"

Yost :rolleyes:

gblowfish 07-16-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 9814776)
Its this time of the year that I typically begin to hate the fact that baseball is my favorite sport. It really becomes a burden. I looked that the MLB standings yesterday and really got depressed. It had become very clear that the Royals had so much more in common with the Mariners, Cubs, Blue Jays and Padres and very little in common with division leaders. Then, I look at the Cardinals record to pour salt on the wound.

How lame is it that we consider getting to .500 a goal? Rany referred to this as the "soft biggotry of low expectations" that we've long looked forward to the Royals being mediocre.

The Mariners, Cubs, Blue Jays and Padres take offense at being compared to a perennial loser like the Royals!

confused 07-16-2013 10:23 AM

Hochevar has been pretty damn good in relief as crappy as he was in the starting rotation. Perez needs to lose a few pounds, but other than that he's the type of kid you build your franchise around. It's hard to give Gordon anything better than a B+ after that 1 month stench where he went from batting 340 to under 300. Moustakas's bat has been that of an NL middle reliever, and I get a sick stomach even fathoming Frenchy. Pretty good ratings though, I agree with the vast majority of them.

BlackHelicopters 07-16-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9814986)
The Mariners, Cubs, Blue Jays and Padres take offense at being compared to a perennial loser like the Royals!

ROFL

ChiliConCarnage 07-16-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurman merman (Post 9812949)
Jarrod Dyson gets an F for standing there and staring at strike three with the bases loaded and two outs in the ninth inning on Friday.

This is the equivalent of telling a guy who penetrates into the lane, gets fouled, and misses the free throws at the end of the game that he should settle for the 24' jumper in the future.

It's one AB; Dyson should be held up as a shining paragon of what more of our hitters should strive for. Escobar who has a similarly slight build and hitting ability should be forced to watch Dyson footage 24/7. It's surely a bit of an aberration but Dyson either leads or is tops on the team in SLG and OPS because he's willing to take pitches. Despite the fact that his bat is limited he has the exact same obp as Lough who Pete loves and who is probably going to drop like a rock in the second half.

gblowfish 07-16-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage (Post 9816270)
Despite the fact that his bat is limited he has the exact same obp as Lough who Pete loves and who is probably going to drop like a rock in the second half.

Lough has a decent shot at AL Rookie of the Year if he keeps his numbers where they are now.

ChiliConCarnage 07-16-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9816277)
Lough has a decent shot at AL Rookie of the Year if he keeps his numbers where they are now.

I've enjoyed what Lough has brought to the team but assuming he cools off only slightly he'll end the year with a .280AB/.300OBP with 10-13Hrs. If that wins him a ROY then great

Great Expectations 07-16-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9816277)

No chance