ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals Coomer The Hot Dog Douche Is At It Again! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=278176)

DJ's left nut 06-18-2015 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 11554443)
Sorry, but if I was in the same situation as this guy and sustained a serious injury because a team employee was showing off, I'd expect the team to "make me whole" again.

Your second sentence is probably true though and you have a point.

Kinda like if I borrow my friends 2001 impala that has mechanical issues to go to the store and those mechanical issues cause the car to breakdown...I shouldn't have to pay for his repairs unless I was doing 110 on the interstate when they happened, right?

Doesn't work that way; eggshell plaintiff rule. If the employee was negligent, the preexisting condition doesn't really matter - you take your victim as you find them.

Every jackass excoriating the guy for seeking his medicals would have done the same thing and most would have asked for non-economic damages as well (paid and suffering). This guy was extremely reasonable but because it was their beloved Royals, clearly they shouldn't have to pay anything.

Like I said: jokes on you guys because the royals definitely paid more to defend this than they'd have paid to just make their fan whole. This was a callous, horseshit, David Glass move all the way. Nothing about this suit was frivelous.

DJ's left nut 06-18-2015 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 11554464)
That likely would have changed the outcome of the case. The assumption would be that the team was admitting responsibility.

Kind of like when someone falls down in your retail establishment. Though it's human nature, the LAST thing you want to do is apologize.

All he asked for was his medicals. It would have changed the outcome because it would have made the suit moot.

Moreover, settlement dialogue is almost universally inadmissible and any settlement would have had a confidentiality clause.

I'm starting to get the impression that you're talking out your ass.

chiefzilla1501 06-18-2015 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11554644)
Doesn't work that way; eggshell plaintiff rule. If the employee was negligent, the preexisting condition doesn't really matter - you take your victim as you find them.

Every jackass excoriating the guy for seeking his medicals would have done the same thing and most would have asked for non-economic damages as well (paid and suffering). This guy was extremely reasonable but because it was there beloved Royals, clearly they shouldn't have to pay anything.

Like I said: jokes on you guys because the royals definitely paid more to defend this than that's have paid to just make their fan whole. This was a callous, horseshit, David Glass move all the way. Nothing about this suit was frivelous.

I agree. Though I don't really blame the royals for how they approached it. Even if they lost a lot of money, I'm sure they were trying to establish precedent. A loss for the royals but a victory for stadiums nationally. Sad, because this guy deserves to be compensated. But you also don't want to send the message that all injuries in the stands, even those caused by fan negligence (which was not the case here, in my opinion) are now in play

BossChief 06-18-2015 10:03 AM

They set a precedent, alright.

A precedent that they don't care too much about the fans that attend their games, or their Heath and safety at the games.

DJ's left nut 06-18-2015 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 11554674)
I agree. Though I don't really blame the royals for how they approached it. Even if they lost a lot of money, I'm sure they were trying to establish precedent. A loss for the royals but a victory for stadiums nationally. Sad, because this guy deserves to be compensated. But you also don't want to send the message that all injuries in the stands, even those caused by fan negligence (which was not the case here, in my opinion) are now in play

Again though, they LOST at the Supreme Court. The trial courts do not make precedent. The only law that was made here was that getting hit with a hot dog is NOT a risk inherent to a baseball game. I got that one right 2 years ago as well - the only legally binding precedent that will come from this case HURTS the Royals.

All they did was spend hundreds of thousands on attorneys so that they could avoid spending 20 thousand on medicals and in the process had law put on the books that hurts them in the future.

And because Coomer was not found negligent, the royals will foot their own fees.

Like I said, the Royals only lost less badly. This was handled incredibly poorly.

BWillie 06-18-2015 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPchief (Post 11554289)
You do know they announce those things over the PA system AND on the scoreboard and make a big deal out of it. Also, when the Mascot is throwing the dogs, there's a huge crowd surrounding him going Throw me one! Throw me one! You've got to be a pretty big dumbass to not be aware of what was going on. That being said, no one was at fault and the Royals should have stepped up and paid his Med bills.

Bullshit. If nobody is at fault, the Royals shouldn't pay the guy one dime. I hate this culture that people deserve shit. If someone is at my house, and they fall down the ****ing stairs and hurt themself. I'm not paying for their ****ing medical bills.

BWillie 06-18-2015 10:43 AM

If you pay for the guys bills, you set the expectation in the future that if you get hurt on our property, we'll just cave and pay you. Bullshit. So many of you also cite that the Royals are a "multi-million dollar" business. What difference should that make? It shouldn't matter, at all. Unfortunately if it gets down to a big business or an insurance company, the jury will usually even side with the little guy, because of you know, feelings. Not only did this guy lose once, he lost twice. Glad the Royals won.

BWillie 06-18-2015 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 11554383)
Actually it was a detached retina.

If Brainiac threw something at Bob Dole's eye and caused Bob Dole to have a detached retina, would Bob Dole say "That's fine, it was just a ****ing hot dog"?

Totally different circumstance.

BossChief 06-18-2015 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11554837)
Bullshit. If nobody is at fault, the Royals shouldn't pay the guy one dime. I hate this culture that people deserve shit. If someone is at my house, and they fall down the ****ing stairs and hurt themself. I'm not paying for their ****ing medical bills.

You are stupid

kepp 06-18-2015 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11554837)

No, but your homeowner's liability insurance will.

DJ's left nut 06-18-2015 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11554839)
If you pay for the guys bills, you set the expectation in the future that if you get hurt on our property, we'll just cave and pay you. Bullshit. So many of you also cite that the Royals are a "multi-million dollar" business. What difference should that make? It shouldn't matter, at all. Unfortunately if it gets down to a big business or an insurance company, the jury will usually even side with the little guy, because of you know, feelings. Not only did this guy lose once, he lost twice. Glad the Royals won.

A) the next time a fan is hurt at Kaufmann, the Royals will be sued and this case will have absolutely no binding effect. Any binding precedent from Coomer will actually hurt them. This will not change the 'expectation' one bit.

B) "Multi-million dollar business" matters because Coomer was an invitee on their property for a business purpose and as such they have a heightened duty to him. Moreover, because of their revenues they can underwrite a slight loss in the be of building consumer goodwill.

You really don't seem to understand some pretty basic shit here. It's truly hilarious that you see a case whereby the Missouri Supreme court established negative precedent for the Royals as a 'win', especially when they spent tens of thousands more in the process and ended up doing next to nothing that would truly deter the next possible plaintiff.

BWillie 06-18-2015 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 11554846)
You are stupid

Apparently not, I was saying from the get go this guy likely would not win his lawsuit...but I guess that makes me stupid. Fair enough.

BossChief 06-18-2015 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 11554884)
Apparently not, I was saying from the get go this guy likely would not win his lawsuit...but I guess that makes me stupid. Fair enough.

No. You being stupid makes you stupid.

Take care

BWillie 06-18-2015 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 11554849)
No, but your homeowner's liability insurance will.

Only if your policy has medical payments to others (which doesn't have to do with liability) and many times is optional. The insurance company doesn't owe you a thing under the liability of the policy, because you know, you weren't at fault for someone falling down your stairs. Just because someone's property gets damaged on your property, from something from your property, or someone is hurt at your property does not automatically mean you are liable.

BWillie 06-18-2015 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11554880)
A) the next time a fan is hurt at Kaufmann, the Royals will be sued and this case will have absolutely no binding effect. Any binding precedent from Coomer will actually hurt them. This will not change the 'expectation' one bit.

B) "Multi-million dollar business" matters because Coomer was an invitee on their property for a business purpose and as such they have a heightened duty to him. Moreover, because of their revenues they can underwrite a slight loss in the be of building consumer goodwill.

You really don't seem to understand some pretty basic shit here. It's truly hilarious that you see a case whereby the Missouri Supreme court established negative precedent for the Royals as a 'win', especially when they spent tens of thousands more in the process and ended up doing next to nothing that would truly deter the next possible plaintiff.

I understand them being a multi-million dollar business matters, I said SHOULDNT matter. I didn't say doesn't. Notice I said "SHOULDNT" all in caps. Theres alot of things I don't agree with in terms of public perception and the judicial system.

When did I say anything about this case having a binding effect on future court cases or anything like that? I said you don't want to create the expectation that if someone gets hurt on your premises, you will just pay them or cave on their demands. Con artists and people looking for a quick buck COULD potentially capitalize on the Royals if they would just pay out for things they are not negligent for. I don't think the Royals were looking at this from the stand point of + or - of the amount of money they lose.