ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs ***** Official Bengals/Bills GDT ***** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=346811)

BWillie 01-02-2023 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 16705263)
Of course, they understand the risks and get well compensated for them. That's the way it works.

I'm just referring to unspoken truth here that this is a very dangerous game that is effectively killing its participants and that if you start cancelling games over player injuries, where does it end exactly for the league?

Dozens of high schoolers die every couple years from football. Where was the outrage? As usual, society freaks out solely when it is exposed for all to see even though they already knew about it.

ChiefsFanatic 01-02-2023 10:40 PM

Roger Goodell is terrible, but people need to realize that this situation and how to deal with it, this late in the season, isn't only up to him. The NFLPA, and probably some fine print in the CBA, have to be part of the decision as well.

There could be playoff shares, incentive bonuses, etc. etc. that come into play, as well as any decisions the players make has to be approved by the NFLPA.

What happened on the field is a tragedy. I have been sick to my stomach since I saw him collapse, but decisions that affect at least 200 other players and coaches cannot be made immediately.

Imagine if you are on a team affected by this, and it affects your ability to earn a performance or incentive bonus. Would you take legal action against the league and the NFLPA because you lost money due to a player on another team being hurt?

There are probably so many factors that we cannot even imagine, that will have to be considered before deciding what the outcome will be, etc.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk

TLO 01-02-2023 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 16705270)
Watched more ESPN tonight than I have in a long time just hoping for good news. It's like the old days of rewatching ESPN highlight shows from 7a-11a over and over with really no new info coming. But, I can't turn it off.

Man I was thinking the same thing. I haven't watched ESPN in ages but I couldn't turn it off until a few minutes ago.

Demonpenz 01-02-2023 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 16705270)
Watched more ESPN tonight than I have in a long time just hoping for good news. It's like the old days of rewatching ESPN highlight shows from 7a-11a over and over with really no new info coming. But, I can't turn it off.

obsessing about it

BigRedChief 01-02-2023 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 16705260)
It's also almost midnight there. Can't imagine it's normal for the hospital to be hosting press conferences in the middle of the night.

and with incomplete information. It’ll be in the am.

KC_Connection 01-02-2023 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 16705275)
Dozens of high schoolers die every couple years from football. Where was the outrage? As usual, society freaks out solely when it is exposed for all to see even though they already knew about it.

Well I'm sure the NFL understands very well what their product is even if all of their consumers don't (or just don't want to think about it).

Stinger 01-02-2023 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger (Post 16704959)
Here is the Toy Drive

https://www.gofundme.com/f/mxksc-the...nity-toy-drive

Almost $550,000 raised.

A little positive break for the thread. Toy Drive Now over 1 Million.

KingPriest2 01-02-2023 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 16705209)
The coaches can't just announce the game is postponed. They all talked to each other. They literally showed clips of McDermott, Taylor, the head ref and an NFL official talking on the field. And there was for sure communication with other people in new York. And the NFL announced it.

The players were refusing to play on. Coaches were with them. They weren’t going to play. They were in shock. They were in no position to play. Faxt is the players on both sides did not want to play It’s not hard to understand. Smh

The nfl had to announce it because the players didn’t want to Again not hard to understand

BWillie 01-02-2023 10:43 PM

Lost alot of respect for Ryan Clark tonight and his knee jerk grandstanding.

notorious 01-02-2023 10:43 PM

Medical testing and service takes a frustrating amount of time.

I just went through several days in the ER for both my parents the last few months.

I can't imagine this is any different.

Athis 01-02-2023 10:43 PM

https://static-assets-1.truthsocial....45e6b31b45.jpg

Mr. Plow 01-02-2023 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 16705274)
Stephen A Smith is as good a reason as any

Yup, I'm a little behind and he just popped up on my TV. Guess that's a good enough to turn it off.

jerryaldini 01-02-2023 10:43 PM

Clark made an interesting point. The players at one point believed the league would require continuance. We saw Diggs trying to rally the bills players with a speech. They've all seen situations where the game goes on. Just a devastating scenario. Imagine if they did feel forced to play.

Bowser 01-02-2023 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 16705236)
Guys, I tend to hate the NFL/Goodell as much as anyone, but we need to pump the brakes just a skosh here. Pretty much all the NFL has done so far is follow their playbook of procedures. Which is what they're there for. To buy them time to think up the right response. Now, in this particular case, which has never happened before in anyone's memory, the playbook is falling short of the proper response. But it's also really vanilla. That's what the playbook is for. Slow things down until they can figure out what to actually do. Every large corporation operates like this.

They're waiting to see what happens with Hamlin before they do anything, that's all.

Good levelheaded take.

In situations like this, I think it's easy to want to assign blame and divert emotion to a target. That's likely what I was doing, and it wasn't fair of me to assume there weren't protocols in place and Goodell would defer to coaches and players that experienced it firsthand. Thanks for the check.

Chiefspants 01-02-2023 10:43 PM

The big (and only) mistake the NFL made was giving word to Joe Buck and Troy Aikman that play was resuming in 5 minutes.

Anyone watching at that moment could tell from the players reactions that this was not a typical cart on the field injury. The NFL needed to adapt, because even in this thread we were all saying there was no way play could resume.

The players, McDermott and Taylor made a different call and the NFL honored it. Not sure what more the NFL could have done after the coaches made the call to go to the locker room.