ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs If the Chiefs go 8-8 or better 49ers get a 2nd round pick. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272817)

RunKC 05-13-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9678442)
8-8 is= to a "serious push for the playoffs" in your mind?

JFC. are you serious?

An 8-8 is usually in the playoff race until around week 15.
WTF do you want from this team next year? They were the WORST team in the league last year. You do know that right?

jd1020 05-13-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9678343)
Well, by that time, I'm sure they knew there was a deal in place with the Chiefs. I don't think it was a league wide reaction of, No way! We don't want that piece of ****! I think any one of those teams that came out saying they had no deal with Smith, would take him over their current starter.

I dont think any of those teams are losing sleep over missing out on Alex Smith.

A stop gap is a stop gap is a stop gap.

The Chiefs just happened to pay for their stop gap like he's going to be around for the next decade because they are morons.

BigCatDaddy 05-13-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaepernick (Post 9678461)
For how many 2nd round draft picks?

Just call it what it is. It's a 1st round pick. By calling them mulitple 2nds it seems to downgrade how much they truely invested in Alice.

-King- 05-13-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9678463)
An 8-8 is usually in the playoff race until around week 15.
WTF do you want from this team next year? They were the WORST team in the league last year. You do know that right?

So you're saying we shouldn't be in win now mode? So why the **** did we just pick up a 29 year old QB with a $15MM contract for 2 early draft picks?
Posted via Mobile Device

patteeu 05-13-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9678457)
8-8 shouldn't even be a part of the conversation when you make a move like that. A winning season should be automatic. Playoffs should be a minimum when you makethat kind of trade. The fact that people are justifying 8-8 is sad.
Posted via Mobile Device

Maybe it would help you to think of the Alex Smith trade compensation as two 2nd round picks with an insurance clause reducing that second round pick if something goes catastrophically wrong (e.g. Alex has a season ending injury) and the team ends up having a losing season.

duncan_idaho 05-13-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9678439)
Maybe it's about you. Maybe you were wrong then and you're still wrong now.

Guess you're missing it, too. (Shocker)

The point of my post is not about his opinions regarding Alex Smith. The point of my post is that everything about the way he approaches this topic reminds me of myself, when I was 15, supporting Elvis Grbac.

As for being wrong, I am wrong often, just like anyone without omniscience. I probably have a little bit better grasp of sports and football after covering them for 10 years, including 4 years at a national sports magazine, though...

jd1020 05-13-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9678471)
Maybe it would help you to think of the Alex Smith trade compensation as two 2nd round picks with an insurance clause reducing that second round pick if something goes catastrophically wrong (e.g. Alex has a season ending injury) and the team ends up having a losing season.

Doesn't help at all. Because we ended up trading at least 1 2nd round pick, that just happened to be #34, for a pos and then next year we have to give them a 3rd round pick as a "Thank you for sodomizing me."

patteeu 05-13-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9678473)
Guess you're missing it, too. (Shocker)

The point of my post is not about his opinions regarding Alex Smith. The point of my post is that everything about the way he approaches this topic reminds me of myself, when I was 15, supporting Elvis Grbac.

As for being wrong, I am wrong often, just like anyone without omniscience. I probably have a little bit better grasp of sports and football after covering them for 10 years, including 4 years at a national sports magazine, though...

No, I didn't miss that. I just don't think there's any reason to believe that because you were wrong then, he's wrong now. Using an argument at the wrong time under the wrong circumstances makes you wrong. Using the same argument at the right time under the right circumstances, is a different story.

RunKC 05-13-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9678470)
So you're saying we shouldn't be in win now mode? So why the **** did we just pick up a 29 year old QB with a $15MM contract for 2 early draft picks?
Posted via Mobile Device

I think they are in win now mode and want to make the playoffs. Alex Smith was the best option right now. They had no choice. I know they are in win now mode but expecting them to automatically make the playoffs is a bit pretentious.
Pioli left this regime with holes to fill in a lot of spots.
Can't expect them to be this winning team in January in year 1.

patteeu 05-13-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9678474)
Doesn't help at all. Because we ended up trading at least 1 2nd round pick, that just happened to be #34, for a pos and then next year we have to give them a 3rd round pick as a "Thank you for sodomizing me."

That's just the insurance policy. The expectation is that the trade will succeed and the cost for success was two 2nds.

If you want to complain about the cost of the trade, fine, complain away. But drop this nonsense about the 8-8 escalator because it makes you guys look silly. It doesn't define what the goal is, it's just a trade factor that makes the expected cost of the trade slightly less than two 2nds instead of an even two 2nds.

jd1020 05-13-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9678490)
That's just the insurance policy. The expectation is that the trade will succeed and the cost for success was two 2nds.

"Success"

LMAO

Reid and Dorsey put their best case scenario on the table with a clause of 8-8 on the 2014 pick. Just think about that for a second... 8-8.

O.city 05-13-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9678488)
I think they are in win now mode and want to make the playoffs. Alex Smith was the best option right now. They had no choice. I know they are in win now mode but expecting them to automatically make the playoffs is a bit pretentious.
***** left this regime with holes to fill in a lot of spots.

Then making the Alex SMith move makes no sense. If you don't expect to be a playoff contender, you don't make the move giving up what you did.

If you are rebuilding, you keep the picks and go from there. If you are in win now, you give up the picks for the guy.

Which they did, therefor, I don't understand why holding them to said standard is a big deal.

It seems some here are excited, saying yes it was a win now move and are hoping and thinking they will win, yet when some say they should be held to that standard, the breaks start pumping.

Sandy Vagina 05-13-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9678488)
***** left this regime with holes to fill in a lot of spots.

In keeping with a somewhat optimistic mindset, where do you feel KC is below average at this point?

I'm not really disagreeing. Going to the playoffs after a 2-14 record IS a tall order. But as I hear it from most KC fans elsewhere... their record could be mostly attributed to having poor QB play and poor coaching.

Now that this has changed.. I don't mind allowing for my natural inclination to find some optimism that KC can win 9 games. And if they do? Hey, anything can happen if that means a playoff visit.

duncan_idaho 05-13-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9678486)
No, I didn't miss that. I just don't think there's any reason to believe that because you were wrong then, he's wrong now. Using an argument at the wrong time under the wrong circumstances makes you wrong. Using the same argument at the right time under the right circumstances, is a different story.

I'm not making a statement about right/wrong. My statement is about the way his actions, statement and level of "sold" remind me of mine back then.

That's what you're missing.

BigCatDaddy 05-13-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9678493)
"Success"

:facepalm: