ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ****The official NEW new conference realignment thread.**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255691)

kepp 09-09-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9956371)
I'll never say never when it comes to Saban, but I would be pretty surprised. I'm trying to think of the last coach hired away from the SEC.

It'll be interesting to see what happens once real money starts getting thrown around. Texas can afford a whole lot, but Alabama won't let Saban go easily. This could turn into a big payday for him whichever choice he makes.

Saul Good 09-09-2013 02:05 PM

Mack has a huge buyout, so Alabama has a head start in that respect. Money is really no object. It just comes down to where Saban wants to coach. I don't know if he wants to take on another rebuilding project when he's almost 63. I doubt it.

(In looking up his age, I learned that he is only 5'6...wow)

Prison Bitch 09-09-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9956043)
Are you nice and comfy in front of your computer? Wouldn't want you to get too hot.

http://pleated-jeans.com/wp-content/...t-come-out.gif

Buck 09-09-2013 03:27 PM

I didn't know where to post this, but I think and hope Alabama is going to kick the shit out of aTm this week.

Mr_Tomahawk 09-10-2013 09:52 AM

Not sure where to post this, but:

University of Kansas‏@KUNews48m
KU ties for 47th among public universities in @USNews rankings, remains top-ranked university in Kansas. http://bit.ly/15Oz50z

Saul Good 09-10-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9959794)
Not sure where to post this, but:

University of Kansas‏@KUNews48m
KU ties for 47th among public universities in @USNews rankings, remains top-ranked university in Kansas. http://bit.ly/15Oz50z

...slightly edging out Friends University of Central Kansas...greatest university name ever

Prison Bitch 09-10-2013 11:26 AM

So that list has Mizzou T-97 and KU & ISU & Nebraska & OU & St Louis all at T-101. So basically there's no difference where you go regionally. That's surprising, you'd think someone would be good. Guess Wash U is but nobody else.

Chiefspants 09-10-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9959808)
...slightly edging out Friends University of Central Kansas...greatest university name ever

We're only four behind MU now, and with our increasing enrollment standards, our rating should continue to rise over the next few years.

Prison Bitch 09-10-2013 12:49 PM

It's not really "4 slots behind" based on how they group. 5 years ago, KU and MU were tied at 88 so both have slipped a tad anyway.

http://amroamroamro.files.wordpress..../usnewscom.pdf

However, "fallen" is relative as the list goes from T-88 to T-98. That doesn't mean Arizona & Neb were really any meaningful distance back, just how it got grouped by the cut-off. Which was and is marginal

Saul Good 09-10-2013 03:06 PM

How ****ed is Texas? They just hired Greg Robinson to improve their defense. You may remember him as the worst defensive coordinator in Chiefs history. You may remember him as the guy Sports Illustrated named the sixth worst head coach in the past 50 years. But do you remember his last stop at Michigan?

He's the guy who ran the defense that allowed over 350 rushing yards in a single game...while allowing the opposing team to complete 14 of 15 passes.

Texas just hired him...wow

http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=303240130

Prison Bitch 09-10-2013 03:29 PM

That's not realignment saul. This is:

University of Missouri
Mizzou’s Gary Pinkel: Playing KU at Arrowhead early in season would be ‘ideal’
By TOD PALMER The Kansas City Star
Updated: 2013-09-10T18:28:13Z
September 10

By TOD PALMER
The Kansas City Star

Missouri coach Gary Pinkel still wants the rivalry with Kansas restored. He made that clear Tuesday when he stopped by The Star’s downtown offices during a bye-week media tour of Kansas City.

Mizzou’s Gary Pinkel: Playing KU at Arrowhead early in season would be ‘ideal’
Tod Palmer is The Star’s new Mizzou beat writer

“I don’t make all those decisions, but, for me, the ideal thing would be to play Kansas the first week or two of the season every year here,” Pinkel said.

From 2007-11, the Tigers and Jayhawks clashed at Arrowhead Stadium, drawing massive crowds and usually producing compelling contests.

http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2...nfE.St.81.jpeg
Video: Gary Pinkel talks Missouri Football with Blair Kerkhoff

But when Missouri moved from the Big 12 to the Southeastern Conference, the yearly regular-season conference showdown with Kansas disappeared and the Jayhawks, so far, have shown no interest in resuming the rivalry as a nonconference game in football or men’s basketball.

The Tigers, on the other hand, are eager to play the Jayhawks again if it can be worked out.

“People have to see the importance of the game,” Pinkel said. “Obviously, it would be a televised game and a good money-maker for both (schools), because it always has been. From our standpoint, and I know I’ve talked to (Missouri athletic director) Mike (Alden), we’d be willing to do that without question. That’s something Kansas would have to agree with.

“For the life of me, I don’t know why would you not do it. How long are we going to be mad at each other? I’m sure everybody’s got the way they feel about that, and I really don’t want to get into that. But there’s a lot of common sense, is there not, to this. Let’s move on and get the rivalry back for our fans.”

The first KU-MU meeting at Arrowhead — a 36-28 win for the Tigers on Nov. 24,
2007 — had national championship implications.

Kansas stunned Missouri 40-37 on a late touchdown a year later before the Tigers turned the tables with a 41-39 win in 2009.

Missouri triumphed 35-7 in 2010 and won 24-10 in 2011.

“There are a lot of great memories — one bad one, but the other ones were good memories,” Pinkel said.

http://jeffcity.media.clients.elling...08e3fa67d9af9d
Pinkel was arrested on suspicion of DUI in 2011 (news tribune)

Pinkel spent Monday in St. Louis visiting media outlets on the other side of the state, where he fielded a few questions about the Tigers’ other border rival, Illinois — another football series that has been discontinued in recent seasons.

“Illinois did come up a little bit,” Pinkel said. “That’s not near the rivalry, but that’s a big game for us there.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/09/10...#storylink=cpy
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/09/10...laying-ku.html

Saul Good 09-10-2013 03:36 PM

It's going to happen. You can't duck us forever.

Al Czervik 09-10-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9960632)
It's going to happen. You can't duck us forever.

I agree...I think it will eventually.
But the constant begging by MU officials is rather embarrassing...

Saul Good 09-10-2013 03:47 PM

Yeah...Kansas has ducked us for years, but Mizzou should be embarrassed? Hardly. Enjoy that riveting schedule...not that it matters who Kansas plays. It's just so darned hot outside.

Bambi 09-10-2013 04:08 PM

Does Pinkel not realize that the Big 12 plays a 9 game schedule? I know he's not the sharpest tool in the shed but the earliest opening KU even has in their football schedule is 2018.

Not really understanding what he's talking about. Missouri left the conference. We've been through this.

Prison Bitch 09-10-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9960679)
Yeah...Kansas has ducked us for years, but Mizzou should be embarrassed? Hardly. Enjoy that riveting schedule...not that it matters who Kansas plays. It's just so darned hot outside.

The news said that over 100 folks were treated for heat illnesses at Faurot Saturday. Hope they all make a full recovery, I bet that sucked.

Saul Good 09-10-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9960720)
The news said that over 100 folks were treated for heat illnesses at Faurot Saturday. Hope they all make a full recovery, I bet that sucked.

Be careful. It's dangerous out there.

Saul Good 09-10-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9960719)
Does Pinkel not realize that the Big 12 plays a 9 game schedule? I know he's not the sharpest tool in the shed but the earliest opening KU even has in their football schedule is 2018.

Not really understanding what he's talking about. Missouri left the conference. We've been through this.

Kansas is kind of the Taylor Swift of college athletics. You can swear that we are never getting back together all you want...but everyone knows that you're just going to sing another whiny song about how you got dumped on your next album.

Prison Bitch 09-10-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9960724)
Be careful. It's dangerous out there.

Agreed. Hope they're all ok.

Mr. Plow 09-10-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9960632)
It's going to happen.

I'll skip over all the other bantering and just say - likely sooner rather than later.

TribalElder 09-10-2013 04:50 PM

Of course pinkel wants to play KU at the beginning of each season

everyone needs a few easy wins to pad the stats right

Saul Good 09-10-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 9960768)
I'll skip over all the other bantering and just say - likely sooner rather than later.

The simple truth is that Kansas needs a compelling matchup on their schedule. It's not going to happen until the program is at least somewhat on the right track, but it's going to happen eventually.

Their schedule is just ridiculously bad. When the toughest ticket...home or away...is at Rice, you've got a problem.

Bambi 09-10-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9960871)
The simple truth is that Kansas needs a compelling matchup on their schedule. It's not going to happen until the program is at least somewhat on the right track, but it's going to happen eventually.

Their schedule is just ridiculously bad. When the toughest ticket...home or away...is at Rice, you've got a problem.

Kansas plays a round robin conference schedule which includes 4 currently ranked teams. Two more against instate rival (KSU) and the highest valued football program in America (UT). You've got a strange definition of "ridiculously bad".

Kansas this year and last year had a strength of schedule ranked in the top 10 by all major ranking systems.

Missouri on the other hand plays 5 ranked team this year.

Judging on the crowd that showed up at Missouri this weekend I would say you're the one with the problem.

Prison Bitch 09-10-2013 06:34 PM

I assume Saul means based on possible fan interest. In terms of caliber, okla Ksu tech and wvu are better programs and Baylor has been stronger the past few years. So I'd agree the casual fan would porbably prefer to see Mizzou but I don't recall many if any years that the game even sold out at Lawrence.

Saul Good 09-10-2013 06:36 PM

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ansas-jayhawks

Here's the schedule showing the starting ticket prices.

Al Czervik 09-10-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9960679)

Maybe you misunderstood.....
Every time the AD or HC talks to the KC Media, they are begging to resume the series.
Like the Jilted Boyfriend, they just cant take no for an answer.
Clearly, MU "needs" this game while KU doesn't.
Might want to wonder why that is......

Prison Bitch 09-10-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 9960768)

I've taken the opposite view but I'd remind you that the border war historically didn't draw all that well. I went to some games on both campuses over the years that were like going to the morgue. In the 80s we both sucked hard but even in the 90s it didn't sell. In 1995 KU was top 10 and had empties and the next year in Columbia there might've been 30k. Just never sold we'll until 2007.

Saul Good 09-10-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9960966)
Kansas plays a round robin conference schedule which includes 4 currently ranked teams. Two more against instate rival (KSU) and the highest valued football program in America (UT). You've got a strange definition of "ridiculously bad".

Kansas this year and last year had a strength of schedule ranked in the top 10 by all major ranking systems.

Missouri on the other hand plays 5 ranked team this year.

Judging on the crowd that showed up at Missouri this weekend I would say you're the one with the problem.

I don't mean weak. I just mean boring. Nobody comes out to see Baylor or Oklahoma State nor TCU. Those are just games. Rivalry games are events.

57,000 is a shitload more than you got in your opener. Let's see how many show up for your second home game against LA Tech. Maybe next year you can advertise the opportunity to see the most valuable program in college football, though. That's more compelling than Bama, I guess.

Bambi 09-10-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9960970)
http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ansas-jayhawks

Here's the schedule showing the starting ticket prices.

Don't blame me. Most of the KU fans I know have spent all their money on Atlantis, Champions Classic and Jerry World.

http://imageshack.us/a/img849/6333/lok2.png

Prison Bitch 09-10-2013 06:47 PM

Tee shirt seen at faurot Saturday. "I survived the heat wave and all I got was this lousy opponent?"

Saul Good 09-10-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Czervik (Post 9960980)
Maybe you misunderstood.....
Every time the AD or HC talks to the KC Media, they are begging to resume the series.
Like the Jilted Boyfriend, they just cant take no for an answer.
Clearly, MU "needs" this game while KU doesn't.
Might want to wonder why that is......

Kicking your rival's ass is fun. Challenging them to play gets the fanbase going a lot more than hiding inside with the lights off does.

Saul Good 09-10-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9960996)
Don't blame me. Most of the KU fans I know have spent all their money on Atlantis, Champions Classic and Jerry World.

http://imageshack.us/a/img849/6333/lok2.png

Looks like the talent was good even well before game time. Nice

HolyHandgernade 09-10-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9960871)

Horse Hockey!

Doesn't seem to be impacting Baylor much and their OOC is worse than ours. The "strength" of the OOC has very little to do with a team's fortunes. If fans perceive it as a winning (or at least improving) team, they'll come out to watch. Kansas football is not a "needle mover" and most likely will not achieve that status.

We don't need a "compelling matchup" we need to be competitive in the B12, that's it. I have trouble following your logic. First, you say we "need" a compelling matchup", then, you say it isn't likely to happen until the program gets better, then you go back to the present schedule? Why? Wouldn't it have been more consistent if you were looking at KU's future opponents when you moved to your second point than rehashing the first?

With that in mind, in 2014 we play at Duke, not necessarily a football masterpiece, but it has the "compelling" basketball schools playing each other in football angle. In 2015 we're at Rutgers, in 2016 we host Hawaii, we go to the Aloha State in 2017, and then host Rutger in 2018.

Admittedly, its not the kind of stuff "Gameday" is going to have to choose between, but I really do't know what else you expect by something "compelling". Unless KU is ranked, the only fans that are going to be "compelled" to watch are KU fans and fans of the other team. But, I would hazard to guess, its not much different for the majority of schools out there. Only a handful of teams represent programs a fan base outside the participants would find at least a casual interest in. Those teams are NOT Kansas, Kansas St or Missouri.

You want to know how Kansas can be "compelling"? Its only if their good, because Charlie Weis, love him or hate him, is the type of personality that elicits a response. If Kansas is good, they'll be compelling because Weis is the "name" coach who brought the program back when no one really thought he could head coach his way out of a paper bag. That's the reason KU might be compelling, it has absolutely nothing to do with an OOC opponent.

TribalElder 09-10-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9960966)
Kansas plays a round robin conference schedule which includes 4 currently ranked teams. Two more against instate rival (KSU) and the highest valued football program in America (UT).

Texas is RAPING the other members of the conference

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

78 Million in profit

http://www.forbes.com/special-report...-football.html

HolyHandgernade 09-10-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 9961085)
Texas is RAPING the other members of the conference

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

78 Million in profit

http://www.forbes.com/special-report...-football.html

Ummmmm, they've always done that. That's why they're the richest athletics program in college sports. Was this really news to you? :spock:

TribalElder 09-10-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 9961090)
Ummmmm, they've always done that. That's why they're the richest athletics program in college sports. Was this really news to you? :spock:

yes, we have landed on the moon

HolyHandgernade 09-10-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 9961112)
yes, we have landed on the moon

OK... so how is that "raping" the rest of the Big 12? Isn't that "raping" the rest of college football?

Saul Good 09-10-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 9961533)
OK... so how is that "raping" the rest of the Big 12? Isn't that "raping" the rest of college football?

Their athletic department is a dumpster fire, so the joke is on them at the moment.

HolyHandgernade 09-11-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9961571)
Their athletic department is a dumpster fire, so the joke is on them at the moment.

Hard to disagree with that.

Saul Good 09-11-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 9961037)
Horse Hockey!

Doesn't seem to be impacting Baylor much and their OOC is worse than ours. The "strength" of the OOC has very little to do with a team's fortunes. If fans perceive it as a winning (or at least improving) team, they'll come out to watch. Kansas football is not a "needle mover" and most likely will not achieve that status.

We don't need a "compelling matchup" we need to be competitive in the B12, that's it. I have trouble following your logic. First, you say we "need" a compelling matchup", then, you say it isn't likely to happen until the program gets better, then you go back to the present schedule? Why? Wouldn't it have been more consistent if you were looking at KU's future opponents when you moved to your second point than rehashing the first?

With that in mind, in 2014 we play at Duke, not necessarily a football masterpiece, but it has the "compelling" basketball schools playing each other in football angle. In 2015 we're at Rutgers, in 2016 we host Hawaii, we go to the Aloha State in 2017, and then host Rutger in 2018.

Admittedly, its not the kind of stuff "Gameday" is going to have to choose between, but I really do't know what else you expect by something "compelling". Unless KU is ranked, the only fans that are going to be "compelled" to watch are KU fans and fans of the other team. But, I would hazard to guess, its not much different for the majority of schools out there. Only a handful of teams represent programs a fan base outside the participants would find at least a casual interest in. Those teams are NOT Kansas, Kansas St or Missouri.

You want to know how Kansas can be "compelling"? Its only if their good, because Charlie Weis, love him or hate him, is the type of personality that elicits a response. If Kansas is good, they'll be compelling because Weis is the "name" coach who brought the program back when no one really thought he could head coach his way out of a paper bag. That's the reason KU might be compelling, it has absolutely nothing to do with an OOC opponent.

Lot of different points here...

Baylor's schedule includes all of their rivals. They don't have to worry much about their non-con.

A game against Mizzou will help generate excitement, but they need to focus on not being a complete disaster first. Getting waxed by your rival when your rival isn't even that good won't provide any benefit. Once Kansas gets up off the mat, the game will resume.

Basketball schools playing football creates zero excitement. None. Does anyone get excited about a basketball game between Alabama and USC? Of course not. Hawaii, Rutgers, Duke, etc. are throwaway games.

Mizzou would be the biggest game of the year for Kansas by a mile.

I don't even care that much. It would be fun, but right now, every conference game is an event unto itself. In a few years, when some of the novelty wears off, maybe I will care more about a Kansas game. For now, I don't miss it at all. When you've got aTm, Florida, Tennessee, etc. coming to town, seemingly every game is a big game.

Bambi 09-11-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9962794)

Baylor's schedule includes all of their rivals. They don't have to worry much about their non-con.

A game against Mizzou will help generate excitement, but they need to focus on not being a complete disaster first. Getting waxed by your rival when your rival isn't even that good won't provide any benefit. Once Kansas gets up off the mat, the game will resume.

Basketball schools playing football creates zero excitement. None. Does anyone get excited about a basketball game between Alabama and USC? Of course not. Hawaii, Rutgers, Duke, etc. are throwaway games.

I don't even care that much. It would be fun, but right now, every conference game is an event unto itself. In a few years, when some of the novelty wears off, maybe I will care more about a Kansas game. For now, I don't miss it at all. When you've got aTm, Florida, Tennessee, etc. coming to town, seemingly every game is a big game.

Someone call Zenger. We're missing our biggest game of the year.

Saul Good 09-11-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9962927)
Someone call Zenger. We're missing our biggest game of the year.

What is the biggest game on your schedule? Don't google "Kansas football schedule", btw. That brings up K-State.

Prison Bitch 09-11-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9963044)
What is the biggest game on your schedule?

Historically it's never been Mizzou. None of the top-10 crowds in our history were Mizzou. (That would be zero). 3 each for Nebraska and KState.

Saul Good 09-11-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9963134)
Historically it's never been Mizzou. None of the top-10 crowds in our history were Mizzou. (That would be zero). 3 each for Nebraska and KState.

That's because Mizzou fans don't travel to Lawrence in large numbers. Being the visiting in your home stadium sounds like it sucks. The 2007 had more fans than any game ever played in Lawrence, though.

Besides...Nebraska is long gone, too. You've lost your biggest rivalry game (Mizzou), and your third biggest "rivalry" game (Nebraska). Besides Kansas State, there isn't an interesting game on your schedule...especially your home schedule. If Oklahoma or Texas were on top, it would be interesting to go out and see Sam Bradford or Vince Young come to town, but neither of those teams have any real star power at the moment. Any team coached by Bob Stoops is somewhat of a draw, but he's lost his swagger.

If you think Kansas has a compelling schedule, that's your prerogative. I just don't see it. Good teams? Sure. Interesting matchups that make anyone take notice? Nope...

Prison Bitch 09-11-2013 12:49 PM

No question Nebraska and KSU fans travel to Lawrence much better than MU fans do. Of course, they have a much better product to follow.

Bambi 09-11-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9963044)
What is the biggest game on your schedule? Don't google "Kansas football schedule", btw. That brings up K-State.

The "biggest game on the schedule" is whatever game means the most during a given year.

KU Football isn't like the basketball games where they are nationwide events. No one is arguing that.

Fact is that the MU game held importance yes because it was a state rivalry but much more important was that the outcome directly affected the standings in the conference.

You can holler all you want about a "rivalry game" but they don't matter unless it counts.

You can laugh all you want but KU is interested in winning the Big 12 Conference in football and going to the CFB playoffs. You don't go and spend the money on a coach like Weis, build an entirely new track facility in anticipation of renovating your stadium if that wasn't the goal.

WhawhaWhat 09-12-2013 07:33 AM

Report: Syracuse agrees to ‘concept’ of 10-year series with Georgetown

They may not be in the same conference anymore, but it may not be too long before Syracuse and Georgetown renew annual acquaintance on the basketball floor.

According to Syracuse.com, Syracuse has agreed to the concept of a decade-long series with the Hoyas, and is waiting to hear back from Georgetown.

“We love the concept. We want the concept. We heard that they want the concept,” Syracuse Executive Senior Associate Athletics Director/Chief Communications Officer for External Affairs Joe Giansante told the site Wednesday night. “And so discussions are taking place to try to get something to where we can move it to the phase where we would actually contract the teams to have them happen.”

Conference realignment has sacrificed a number of long-time sports rivalries, and Syracuse-Georgetown would be a nice one to salvage, especially if the rivalry smack continues to live up to Big East standards.

HolyHandgernade 09-12-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9962794)

It completely missed the point. The thing that generates excitement is the team's prospects for that year. I guarantee you if KU is projected to do well for a season in the future, its not going to matter whether MU is on that schedule or not. KU just wants to win the 3 OOC and then compete in the conference slate. Fans will come to support a team in contention.

The only way your argument works is if KU never gets out of the pit they dug and is never projected to do well in the future. Then, mostly for all the wrong reasons, that KU-Mu would generate interest. But, that goes completely against your logic of "having to get up off the matt" first. If KU is up, MU matters less, not more. The anticipatory games will be against the better conference opponents, not an OOC.

Besides, at the rate things are going, the top conferences want to separate and only playagainst "like" competition in a different classification. Most probably, the OOC slate will soon be just these top conference teams. Would MU generate more regional interest? Sure. Is it necessary? Not really, not from our perspective anyway.

Bambi 09-12-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 9965932)
It completely missed the point. The thing that generates excitement is the team's prospects for that year. I guarantee you if KU is projected to do well for a season in the future, its not going to matter whether MU is on that schedule or not. KU just wants to win the 3 OOC and then compete in the conference slate. Fans will come to support a team in contention.

The only way your argument works is if KU never gets out of the pit they dug and is never projected to do well in the future. Then, mostly for all the wrong reasons, that KU-Mu would generate interest. But, that goes completely against your logic of "having to get up off the matt" first. If KU is up, MU matters less, not more. The anticipatory games will be against the better conference opponents, not an OOC.

Besides, at the rate things are going, the top conferences want to separate and only playagainst "like" competition in a different classification. Most probably, the OOC slate will soon be just these top conference teams. Would MU generate more regional interest? Sure. Is it necessary? Not really, not from our perspective anyway.

I can't think of any rivalry games where two teams play each other while not in the same conference that really matter.

I guess Florida St and Florida or something like that but whatever.

Discuss Thrower 09-12-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9966028)
I can't think of any rivalry games where two teams play each other while not in the same conference that really matter.

Michigan v Notre Dame.. Notre Dame v USC... Louisville v Kentucky in up years...

ChiefsCountry 09-12-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 9966045)
Michigan v Notre Dame.. Notre Dame v USC... Louisville v Kentucky in up years...

Georgia/Georgia Tech
Clemson/South Carolina
BYU/Utah

Bambi 09-12-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Well Notre Dame... those are conf games imo

Basketball is different. Easier to play games logistically and I'm not sure Louisville and UK is a rivalry as much as it's two teams that have both shared a tremendous amount of success.

Saul Good 09-12-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9966049)
Georgia/Georgia Tech
Clemson/South Carolina
BYU/Utah

Texas vs Oklahoma pre Big 12

Iowa vs Iowa St.

Utah vs BYU

Colorado vs Colorado St.

Saul Good 09-12-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9966059)
Well Notre Dame... those are conf games imo

Basketball is different. Easier to play games logistically and I'm not sure Louisville and UK is a rivalry as much as it's two teams that have both shared a tremendous amount of success.

How is Notre Dame vs USC conference game in any possible sense of the word?

WhawhaWhat 09-12-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Kentucky v. Indiana in basketball was a good example but they ended a couple years ago. That rivalry had been around for over 80 years.

Saul Good 09-12-2013 03:02 PM

Georgetown and Syracuse are playing for ten years.

Bambi 09-12-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9966421)
Iowa vs Iowa St.

Utah vs BYU

Colorado vs Colorado St.

Exactly

Prison Bitch 09-12-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9966421)
Texas vs Oklahoma pre Big 12

Iowa vs Iowa St.

Utah vs BYU

Colorado vs Colorado St.

Those are hideously bad examples because none of them involved one team bailing on the other. Therefore they're instantly null. The valid examples related to KU-MU are: Texas-ATM, Duke-Maryland, WVU-Pitt, Lou-Cinci. And they're all making the same decision.

Pitt Gorilla 09-12-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9966620)
Those are hideously bad examples because none of them involved one team bailing on the other. Therefore they're instantly null. The valid examples related to KU-MU are: Texas-ATM, Duke-Maryland, WVU-Pitt, Lou-Cinci. And they're all making the same decision.

Nobody but a jilted woman cares about "bailing."

Prison Bitch 09-12-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9966682)

Well, jilted women and crappy programs like Kansas, Texas and Duke.

Tiger's Fan 09-12-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9966682)

There's no incentive for KU to keep propping up a 2nd tier program like mizWho.

Saul Good 09-12-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9966620)

That's not what he said. You're moving the goalposts.

Prison Bitch 09-12-2013 05:49 PM

Ok, then we will stick to your examples and Ill just ask how they're relevant or why you would even care about them.

Saul Good 09-12-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9966838)
Ok, then we will stick to your examples and Ill just ask how they're relevant or why you would even care about them.

If you can't follow the back and forth of a simple conversation, I'm not wasting my time with you.

Saul Good 09-12-2013 07:28 PM

High flying Big 12 offenses on display tonight.

Prison Bitch 09-12-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9966981)
If you can't follow the back and forth of a simple conversation, I'm not wasting my time with you.

Ok, then just entertain us with news that in fact, Iowa plays Iowa state. That stuff is riveting.

Saul Good 09-12-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9967527)
Ok, then just entertain us with news that in fact, Iowa plays Iowa state. That stuff is riveting.

Are you really bitching at me for not addressing points that weren't made? He said that he couldn't think of any non-conference rivalry games. He was promptly handed a ton of them.

There is literally no team on the planet that could play Kansas and have it be an interesting game. That said, Mizzou is far and away the closest thing you're going to find.

Prison Bitch 09-12-2013 08:11 PM

I suppose then that your obsessed coach is the only one who finds KU compelling. Kinda hilarious.

Saul Good 09-12-2013 08:16 PM

Holy shit. This TCU game is the worst piece of shit I've ever seen.

Saul Good 09-12-2013 08:54 PM

Is anyone else watching this abortion?

ghak99 09-12-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9968095)
Is anyone else watching this abortion?

I couldn't take more than a few minutes of it.

Bambi 09-12-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9966816)
That's not what he said. You're moving the goalposts.

I stand by your examples of not mattering at all on the national landscape or on how those teams view their season.

Iowa State beats Iowa again. Do they like it? Sure.

They would lose 100 years in a row if it meant winning the Big 12.

Saul Good 09-13-2013 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9969001)
I stand by your examples of not mattering at all on the national landscape or on how those teams view their season.

Iowa State beats Iowa again. Do they like it? Sure.

They would lose 100 years in a row if it meant winning the Big 12.

That's a stupid binary you've created because you made a stupid comment, and it got shoved back in your face. Kansas would happily lose a game to Duke every year if it meant making the Final Four every year, but that doesn't make a Kansas vs Duke game meaningless.

Shit, Alabama lost to aTm and won the NC last year. I guess their game last year was meaningless.

Bambi 09-13-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9969303)
That's a stupid binary you've created because you made a stupid comment, and it got shoved back in your face. Kansas would happily lose a game to Duke every year if it meant making the Final Four every year, but that doesn't make a Kansas vs Duke game meaningless.

Shit, Alabama lost to aTm and won the NC last year. I guess their game last year was meaningless.

No one in the thread is agreeing with you.

Bambi 09-13-2013 07:39 AM

Besides, no one at KU is happy about not playing MU anymore. MU represented a victory 50% of the time.

Prison Bitch 09-13-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9969416)
Besides, no one at KU is happy about not playing MU anymore. MU represented a victory 50% of the time.

I've gotten a good chuckle out of the KC Star comments where Mizzou fans call it an automatic win. Hilarious. If there's one thing 120 years of failure has taught those fanse, it's that there's no such thing in Columbia MO as an "automatic win".

patteeu 09-13-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9969409)
No one in the thread is agreeing with you.

Don't be ridiculous.

Bambi 09-13-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9969468)
Don't be ridiculous.

K, I suppose I can expect you to start the game thread the next time Colorado/Colorado St plays. It's such a meaningful contest and all.

patteeu 09-13-2013 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9969482)
K, I suppose I can expect you to start the game thread the next time Colorado/Colorado St plays. It's such a meaningful contest and all.

Why would you suppose that?

Saul Good 09-13-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9969482)

Are you really suggesting that games are only meaningful if they have national appeal, regional rivalries be damned? If this is the case, Kansas might as well not play. There is not a single team that Kansas could play that would generate national interest.

That said, rivalry games are the heart of college football. I don't expect posters who don't think college football is a real sport to understand, though.