ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs If the Chiefs go 8-8 or better 49ers get a 2nd round pick. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272817)

duncan_idaho 05-13-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-NinersChiefs (Post 9678505)
In keeping with a somewhat optimistic mindset, where do you feel KC is below average at this point?

I'm not really disagreeing. Going to the playoffs after a 2-14 record IS a tall order. But as I hear it from most KC fans elsewhere... their record could be mostly attributed to having poor QB play and poor coaching.

Now that this has changed.. I don't mind allowing for my natural inclination to find some optimism that KC can win 9 games. And if they do? Hey, anything can happen if that means a playoff visit.

Below average?

Quarterback (Alex Smith 15th-20th best-QB in NFL)
Defensive line (lot of question marks and potential holes)

They're above average at P, OL, RB, LB, one CB and one S spot, for sure. Question marks at CBs 2 and 3 and Ss 2 and 3.

Kaepernick 05-13-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9678468)
Just call it what it is. It's a 1st round pick. By calling them mulitple 2nds it seems to downgrade how much they truely invested in Alice.

My point was those teams gave up nothing for their dregs.

SAUTO 05-13-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9678463)
An 8-8 is usually in the playoff race until around week 15.
WTF do you want from this team next year? They were the WORST team in the league last year. You do know that right?

i want to see them building this team into a consistent super bowl contender.

if they had gotten a young Qb record wouldnt matter.

trading for an older guy means they should be contending right away.

and to me 8-8 isnt a contending team

SAUTO 05-13-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9678488)
I think they are in win now mode and want to make the playoffs. Alex Smith was the best option right now. They had no choice. I know they are in win now mode but expecting them to automatically make the playoffs is a bit pretentious.
***** left this regime with holes to fill in a lot of spots.
Can't expect them to be this winning team in January in year 1.

they are in a win now mode but expecting just that is a bit pretentious?

do you even read what you type?

patteeu 05-13-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9678504)
Then making the Alex SMith move makes no sense. If you don't expect to be a playoff contender, you don't make the move giving up what you did.

If you are rebuilding, you keep the picks and go from there. If you are in win now, you give up the picks for the guy.

Which they did, therefor, I don't understand why holding them to said standard is a big deal.

It seems some here are excited, saying yes it was a win now move and are hoping and thinking they will win, yet when some say they should be held to that standard, the breaks start pumping.

It makes sense to pay that for Alex Smith if you think you can have some decent playoff success over the next 5 years, even if you don't make the playoffs in year 1.

RunKC 05-13-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9678504)
Then making the Alex SMith move makes no sense. If you don't expect to be a playoff contender, you don't make the move giving up what you did.

If you are rebuilding, you keep the picks and go from there. If you are in win now, you give up the picks for the guy.

Which they did, therefor, I don't understand why holding them to said standard is a big deal.

It seems some here are excited, saying yes it was a win now move and are hoping and thinking they will win, yet when some say they should be held to that standard, the breaks start pumping.

I think they have their eye on the playoffs, but you have to keep in mind what they are doing.
These guys had the task of cleaning up *****'s huge mess.
Hell half the team is brand new. S, nickel CB, #2 CB, ILB, DE, G, RT, #2 WR, TE, #2 TE.
It's gonna take more than 1 offseason to clean up this mess.

patteeu 05-13-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9678518)
I'm not making a statement about right/wrong. My statement is about the way his actions, statement and level of "sold" remind me of mine back then.

That's what you're missing.

OK, well if you're not suggesting that he's wrong now like you were wrong then, then I guess I was mistaken.

O.city 05-13-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9678536)
It makes sense to pay that for Alex Smith if you think you can have some decent playoff success over the next 5 years, even if you don't make the playoffs in year 1.

Thats fine, then we should go ahead and extend him if we expect him to be around that long.

jd1020 05-13-2013 10:24 AM

I wonder if the Chiefs apologists would be asking "What do you expect from them?" if the Chiefs traded for a better QB.

Would you still be expecting a mediocre to bottom of the barrel season?

BigCatDaddy 05-13-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaepernick (Post 9678529)
My point was those teams gave up nothing for their dregs.

Agreed. Dorsey/Reid already called Alice their 2nd round pick this year so they are already short selling what they actually paid.

SAUTO 05-13-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaepernick (Post 9678458)
Because GMs of pro sports teams are altruists looking out to help opposing teams.

Don't you remember how Baltimore passed on signing Dumervil after Elvis said he wanted to play for the Miami Dolphins, his hometown team?

No?

No, because you are not stupid.

then what was your point?

Messier 05-13-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9678465)
I dont think any of those teams are losing sleep over missing out on Alex Smith.

A stop gap is a stop gap is a stop gap.

The Chiefs just happened to pay for their stop gap like he's going to be around for the next decade because they are morons.

That's not true, but okay. Just lumping all the available QBs as stop gaps is a little lazy. Smith is coming out of recent success, and his team wanted him
The reason the other QBs came so cheap is that they were just as likely to be released as traded. I know you hate Smith, but if he's a stop gap, he's another level of stop gap than the likes of Palmer and Kolb.

duncan_idaho 05-13-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9678543)
Agreed. Dorsey/Reid already called Alice their 2nd round pick this year so they are already short selling what they actually paid.

Don't forget Clark Hunt saying "We have our first-round quarterback, and he was actually a guy taken first overall."

o:-)

O.city 05-13-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9678537)
I think they have their eye on the playoffs, but you have to keep in mind what they are doing.
Hell half the team is brand new. S, CB, #2 CB, ILB, DE, G, RT, #2 WR, TE, #2 TE.

If thats the case, we should have just overhauled and went with a complete rebuild.

SAUTO 05-13-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9678537)
Hell half the team is brand new. S, CB, #2 CB, ILB, DE, G, RT, #2 WR, G, TE, #2 TE.

then again why go for a guy who is on a 2 year deal? and is injury prone?