ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ***Official 2012-13 Mizzou football repository thread*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=256647)

DJ's left nut 02-05-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9380761)
I am surprised that Mo State hasn't tried to make the switch (AFAIK). They've had a couple guys make it to the NFL recently and it would be really nice if MO could have two D1 programs IMO.

Why? So Missouri could become the Iowa State of the SEC?

No thanks. We suck badly enough without any in-state competition.

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-05-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9380726)
I think part of the lack of true "diamonds" in recent years is that Missouri's name is given a lot of respect by the scouting agencies. So guys are pretty much automatic 3-stars when they have a Missouri offer.

A guy like EJ Gaines would have been a two-star without a Missouri offer, for example.

Lack of cutthroat recruiters on staff definitely kept them bogged in the same recruiting plan:

1) Hope Missouri has good talent and get as many MO players as possible
2) Mine secondary recruiting areas based on connections and targeting second-tier kids that don't get immediate offers from the big schools in those regions.

I don't think TCU is a very good example. This year is the first year they've been ranked higher than Mizzou in recruiting rankings, and it's not a lead that is guaranteed to hold up (for example: IF Missouri flips EE OR lands Outlaw + Singleton). Other than that, they've been staring up at Mizzou in Rivals rankings.

Boise is also not a great example. That team is stuck in the 50s and has been for years.

But that's beside the point. I agree that they didn't do a good job of expanding the recruiting base. Part of that is that guys like Walker, Jones, Eberfllus, etc. just aren't good at recruiting

The point wasn't to compare Boise to Missouri as a 1:1, but to make the comparison of how programs are built. Unless you get a guy who is a tremendous recruiter and can sell pork to a Shi'ite you will need to find undervalued players to build your program. Missouri used to do that. They no longer do. Perhaps some of that is due to the prestige given by a Missouri offer, it's definitely something I hadn't considered. However, even if we assume that to be true, where are all these undervalued 3* recruits who would have been 2* that are producing at an elite level?

Josey, pre-injury, I guess. Gaines. And....??

duncan_idaho 02-05-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9380769)
The point wasn't to compare Boise to Missouri as a 1:1, but to make the comparison of how programs are built. Unless you get a guy who is a tremendous recruiter and can sell pork to a Shi'ite you will need to find undervalued players to build your program. Missouri used to do that. They no longer do. Perhaps some of that is due to the prestige given by a Missouri offer, it's definitely something I hadn't considered. However, even if we assume that to be true, where are all these undervalued 3* recruits who would have been 2* that are producing at an elite level?

Josey, pre-injury, I guess. Gaines. And....??

Mitch Morse is probably the only one who qualifies, honestly. There are some players who could be that guy but haven't seen the field enough to tell yet.

I mentioned that I thought that was only part of the change... I wouldn't argue that they haven't done as great a job finding undervalued guys recently as they were in the early years.

Bottom line, without getting into all that depressing stuff, is that they haven't done a good job improving as recruiters with improved success. And that's on Pinkel.

duncan_idaho 02-05-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

I am surprised that Mo State hasn't tried to make the switch (AFAIK). They've had a couple guys make it to the NFL recently and it would be really nice if MO could have two D1 programs IMO.

Maybe they should focus on not being terrible at the FCS level before they try to jump to FBS...

Also, where does SMS go? CUSA? That conference is about to get gutted by the Big East AND is going to see its football profile significantly lowered because the new playoff system is going to concentrate even more of the big TV money on the big schools.

Sorter 02-05-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9380806)
Maybe they should focus on not being terrible at the FCS level before they try to jump to FBS...

Also, where does SMS go? CUSA? That conference is about to get gutted by the Big East AND is going to see its football profile significantly lowered because the new playoff system is going to concentrate even more of the big TV money on the big schools.

I have no idea. To be honest, I know nothing about MO ST other than they have football and produced Clay Harbor.

Oh, and I think they have hockey there. Maybe?

DJ's left nut 02-06-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9380538)
Losing Donavohn Jones today was disappointing. I thought he had a shot to be an excellent safety. The JUCO safety, Duron Singleton, is likely to commit tomorrow and is the best JUCO S in the country, according to JUCO Junction.

I am worried about the secondary recruiting, though I think Aarion Penton is going to be a good CB.

Trenches... losing Jake Campos hurts. Clay Rhodes is going to be really good, I think. Gill should be serviceable. Sounds like they have an OK shot to land the former Florida OL commit from Georgia (friends with Printz).

DL... if Augusta and Antar Thompson can qualify, that's a strong pairing in the middle in this class. Losing DiMariya Mixon hurts a lot, because he already is a bigger guy and can be a great big DE or penetrating DT.

If they close, best-case scenario....

RB Ezekiel Elliott
S Duron Singleton
OL Josh Outlaw

This can be an ACCEPTABLE class (one that's good enough to help you stay in the 7-8 win range). The opportunity was there for this to be a foundation class that helped establish something better than that, and missing on it hurts a lot.

Didn't get Outlaw.

I don't think they'll get Elliott either. I just don't see how anyone would choose to come here over the chance to go play with Urban Meyer. Dontre Wilson is more of a lead back type and so Elliot can go out there and still be a Percy Harvin clone in Meyer's offense.

Or he can play for a year under Josh Henson then play for 2 years under a new OC until he finally realizes he's wasted his college career and goes pro as a Junior and gets taken in the 5th round based on athleticism alone.

This class is sucks, this staff sucks and if I were Truman the Tiger, I'd decommit and take my talents to Memphis.

duncan_idaho 02-06-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9382069)
Didn't get Outlaw.

I don't think they'll get Elliott either. I just don't see how anyone would choose to come here over the chance to go play with Urban Meyer. Dontre Wilson is more of a lead back type and so Elliot can go out there and still be a Percy Harvin clone in Meyer's offense.

Or he can play for a year under Josh Henson then play for 2 years under a new OC until he finally realizes he's wasted his college career and goes pro as a Junior and gets taken in the 5th round based on athleticism alone.

This class is sucks, this staff sucks and if I were Truman the Tiger, I'd decommit and take my talents to Memphis.

Except Meyer has actually sold Elliott on being a lead back and is telling him that Wilson is going to be the slotback. They also have a commitment from Jalin Marshall, who was recruited as a lead back. When EE committed in April of 2012, Meyer was telling him that he'd be the only back in the class.

That, combined with the family connection, is the only thing that has Missouri in this. I'm not sure they'll flip him, but I think there's a decent chance (maybe not better than 50 percent, but it wouldn't surprise me).

The class is disappointing, no doubt. Losing Outlaw, a guy who would have made up a bit for not landing Jake Campos, sucks.

Biggest problem with this class is the way it withered after a strong start. Second-biggest is that it is small/thing. There are 6-8 guys I think are going to be pretty good/have star potential. Everybody else looks like a "Program filler" sort to me. Someone who won't kill you if they have to play, but not a star.

They need all the best guys (Abbington, Rhodes, Hosick, Singleton, Beisel, Augusta, Thompson, Elliott if he flips) to be studs. That rarely happens. And I don't see any depth that really is likely to step up and be a stud (though I think Abeln will be a very good C in Missouri's offense).

duncan_idaho 02-06-2013 10:31 AM

BTW, Singleton is exactly the type of guy they need to fill the secondary with. Big, strong, physical, fast. Just looks the part of an SEC safety, though he apparently will get a chance to play CB, too. They need at LEAST 2-3 guys like this in every single class.

He has film on Hudl.com. Pretty impressive (NSFW music)

Mr_Tomahawk 02-06-2013 10:36 AM

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colle...6fbfc3a01.html

DJ's left nut 02-06-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9382080)
Except Meyer has actually sold Elliott on being a lead back and is telling him that Wilson is going to be the slotback. They also have a commitment from Jalin Marshall, who was recruited as a lead back. When EE committed in April of 2012, Meyer was telling him that he'd be the only back in the class.

That, combined with the family connection, is the only thing that has Missouri in this. I'm not sure they'll flip him, but I think there's a decent chance (maybe not better than 50 percent, but it wouldn't surprise me).

The class is disappointing, no doubt. Losing Outlaw, a guy who would have made up a bit for not landing Jake Campos, sucks.

Biggest problem with this class is the way it withered after a strong start. Second-biggest is that it is small/thing. There are 6-8 guys I think are going to be pretty good/have star potential. Everybody else looks like a "Program filler" sort to me. Someone who won't kill you if they have to play, but not a star.

They need all the best guys (Abbington, Rhodes, Hosick, Singleton, Beisel, Augusta, Thompson, Elliott if he flips) to be studs. That rarely happens. And I don't see any depth that really is likely to step up and be a stud (though I think Abeln will be a very good C in Missouri's offense).

What's Hosick actually capable of being at this level? Are we really going to waste time trying to make the kid a quarterback?

He can't throw. If he's our QB, we're in trouble.

As to Singleton, yeah I saw his HUDL video and he looks like a good one, but we still only get 2 years of eligibility out of him.

EDIT: Deleting hudl link as you already put it up

kepp 02-06-2013 10:46 AM

Yeah, I don't see Hosick ending up as a QB. Safety maybe?

duncan_idaho 02-06-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9382106)
What's Hosick actually capable of being at this level? Are we really going to waste time trying to make the kid a quarterback?

He can't throw. If he's our QB, we're in trouble.

As to Singleton, yeah I saw his HUDL video and he looks like a good one, but we still only get 2 years of eligibility out of him.

EDIT: Deleting hudl link as you already put it up

Hard to say with Hosick. He's coming in as a QB but Printz is, too (and I expect Maty Mauk to be the next starter, possibly as soon as 2013).

Hosick is such a beast athlete it's hard to imagine sitting him on the bench for 3 years behind Mauk. He could be a high level safety or LB. He's fast, strong, has experience playing D (early in his Staley career) and likes contact.

I could see them using Hosick at QB in some Wildcat style packages, maybe in short-yardage or goalline situations. But I expect he lands at S or LB pretty quickly. Too good an athlete to leave him sitting behind Mauk for that long.

DJ's left nut 02-06-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9382137)
Hard to say with Hosick. He's coming in as a QB but Printz is, too (and I expect Maty Mauk to be the next starter, possibly as soon as 2013).

Hosick is such a beast athlete it's hard to imagine sitting him on the bench for 3 years behind Mauk. He could be a high level safety or LB. He's fast, strong, has experience playing D (early in his Staley career) and likes contact.

I could see them using Hosick at QB in some Wildcat style packages, maybe in short-yardage or goalline situations. But I expect he lands at S or LB pretty quickly. Too good an athlete to leave him sitting behind Mauk for that long.

Makes a lot of sense given our struggles in the secondary. Though with as much depth as there is in the LB corps and with as much weight as he'd have to add, LB seems less likely.

ChiefsCountry 02-06-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Stadium expansion for Missouri State is coming up after this year's season. New president sees football as a way to make the leap up in the world. Sun Belt has been talking with Missouri State for some time going back into the late 90's. The basketball program would have to take a hit in percepation and that is the biggest draw back among athletic department, alumni, and donors. But on the other side, they would win a lot more games and we have done pretty well in the Valley. But Creighton has one foot out the door from leaving the MVC, and the two peer schools in Illinois State and UNI are talking to the MAC. What we have heard it will be better to be with the MAC, Sun Belt types than it will be to stay in the Valley. Some changes are coming.

DJ's left nut 02-06-2013 11:36 AM

On a side note: Who the !@#$ is Charles Harris?

Kid appears to just be an exceptional athlete that we threw a scholarship at late in the process and will figure out what the hell to do with him later; probably a DE and appears to have the frame and athleticism to be a pretty impressive one. He's essentially a complete unknown as he's not so much as listed on any scouting services.

I can't decide if I'm impressed by the creativity or just more pissed off by the fact that they only had 19 commits so they threw an offer at some rec league player down the street.