ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Who does the Planet want the Chiefs to pick at #3? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=203851)

htismaqe 03-12-2009 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 5575520)
IMO, there are only three top tier players in this years draft: J Smith, Curry and Monroe. 2nd tier: Stafford, Jenkins, Raji. 3rd tier: Sanchez, Brown, Matthews, Oher and Crabtree.

The more I think about it, the more I think Curry has to be the pick.

Yes, he's a LB and they don't generally go #3 overall. But if you combine his lack of question marks with the fact that the Chiefs have a dire need at that position, he's the only one that makes good sense.

I really hope we can trade down.

bdeg 03-12-2009 11:25 AM

I hope we trade down too. That said, Brown plays a position we have an ever more dire need for. What are his question marks?

Chiefnj2 03-12-2009 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdeg (Post 5575529)
Well, I definitely have to question Jenkins above Brown, and what exactly is it that you like so much about Clay Matthews to put him in your top 11?

I only watched 2 or 3 USC games but he seemed to be the player that actually made plays. The hype goes to Maluaga and Cushing, but I don't get it. Rey will make a big hit and then take bad angles for the next few plays. Cushing is one of those workout warriors who, IMO, is already maxed out. Plus watching NFL network the other night they said Cushing was taken out in 3rd down situations at USC. He was only a 2 down player. I didn't know that. I think Matthews will go on to be the best of the three USC linebackers. For his limited amount of starting experience I thought he did a very good job and has a higher ceiling than the other guys.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-12-2009 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdeg (Post 5575555)
I hope we trade down too. That said, Brown plays a position we have an ever more dire need for. What are his question marks?

He's short and he doesn't have terribly long arms. He's got good speed, but not great, and he's not a really explosive athlete.

None of those things are concerns when isolated, but cumulatively, you might wonder what his upside is. I still think he'll be a really good player, though.

bdeg 03-12-2009 11:36 AM

I think Rey's got the highest ceiling. With good coaching he could be a beast. I didn't know Cushing was a 2-down player, either. This is all I could find concerning his coverage ability: "He can run with almost anyone and gets to the flats quickly to cover screens. Teams will have trouble overlooking a guy that can play all three LB spots, play a little defensive end and could be perfect for an elephant LB/S kind of role."

Matthews is quick, and I would take him at the bottom of the 1st if I ran a 3-4 and needed an OLB.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-12-2009 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 5575567)
I only watched 2 or 3 USC games but he seemed to be the player that actually made plays. The hype goes to Maluaga and Cushing, but I don't get it. Rey will make a big hit and then take bad angles for the next few plays. Cushing is one of those workout warriors who, IMO, is already maxed out. Plus watching NFL network the other night they said Cushing was taken out in 3rd down situations at USC. He was only a 2 down player. I didn't know that. I think Matthews will go on to be the best of the three USC linebackers. For his limited amount of starting experience I thought he did a very good job and has a higher ceiling than the other guys.

I don't know about that. Clay Matthews is pretty much totally maxed out in every way conceivable.

bdeg 03-12-2009 11:40 AM

The only thing that concerns me with Brown is his speed. I'm not worried about height, Harrison and Porter are 2 inches shorter and 1 inch taller, respectively. His arm-length doesn't worry me as much as it would with other players because I believe he'll be able to shed blocks. But he could be quicker. I still think he's quick enough to beat some LT's with his speed. Just not all of them. Now that's not exactly what you want from the #3 pick, but this isn't a good year for the #3.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-12-2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdeg (Post 5575613)
The only thing that concerns me with Brown is his speed. I'm not worried about height, Porter and Harrison are 2 inches shorter and 1 inch taller, respectively. His arm-length doesn't worry me as much as it would with other players because I believe he'll be able to shed blocks. But he could be quicker.

Depends on what you mean by "shedding blocks". From a FB? Sure. From an LT? It's going to be a lot easier to engage him, especially since he doesn't have elite strength.

bdeg 03-12-2009 11:49 AM

He plays with good strength and has the frame to add more. I assume you're referring to arm-length and not height. He has the same arm-length as Ayers who is 6-3. Longer than Larry English and only a half inch shorter than Orakpo's.

bdeg 03-12-2009 11:53 AM

Only 5 out of 24 DE's(those who benched and are not named Everette Brown) as listed on NFLDC benched more than him. And he doesn't even need a DE's strength to play OLB.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-12-2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdeg (Post 5575657)
He plays with good strength and has the frame to add more. I assume you're referring to arm-length and not height. He has the same arm-length as Ayers who is 6-3. Longer than Larry English and only a half inch shorter than Orakpo's.

Yeah, but I don't view Ayers, English, or Orakpo as guys with elite potential. Brown is still my #1 DE/OLB in the draft, but he's pretty far behind several prospects of the last few draft classes.

Chiefnj2 03-12-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5575587)
He's short and he doesn't have terribly long arms. He's got good speed, but not great, and he's not a really explosive athlete.

None of those things are concerns when isolated, but cumulatively, you might wonder what his upside is. I still think he'll be a really good player, though.

I would say that Brown is explosive.

bdeg 03-12-2009 11:57 AM

I think he's explosive too. Just not freakish.

Blick 03-12-2009 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 5575205)
Because taking Eugene Monroe at #3 is about the lowest you can get on the value scale. Dumb move.

Both Everette Brown and Curry would start instantly and they both play positions where we actually NEED help.

I hope to God we can trade down, because there's nobody going to be there at #3 that is really good value. But if we're forced to pick, we'd be far better off taking Curry or Brown, or even Raji, than taking Monroe and potentially moving Albert. That's too much money to wrap up in OT's and it WILL prevent us from competing for a championship in the future.

I pretty much agree.

I want to trade down as well, or take a defensive player at 3 if we have to.

However, I don't know how you can say that Brown and Curry would "start instantly" after telling me that I didn't know if an offensive tackle would start.

I don't mind wrapping up money in OT's if it can give us a potentially dominant offensive line. If we take Raji, we're gonna wrap up a lot of money in DT's. Why is that better?

Taking a 3-4 ILB at 3 isn't super high on the value scale either...which is why most of us want to trade down.

Blick 03-12-2009 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefRon (Post 5575216)
And I guess you will be the one bitching about Sanchez going to the pro bowl while we have this debate again in two or three years, if it pans out that way?

We have cap room, we're building for the long-term, why not have a 1 year trial for Cassel, see how he does with handling being a starter from the get-go, and have an insurance policy just in case. Stucture Sanchez's deal so he can be traded after two years if Cassel pans out.

This draft class is not that elite. The only other scenario with value is trading down, everything else seems to be a reach unless you're going to tie up that amount of money in the line instead of the QB...and then what are your options? What can you trade away a highly-paid RT for?

I just don't like Sanchez or Stafford enough to do that. I understand where you're coming from, but I wouldn't do it. I don't think Pioli will, either.