ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU Missouri Rolling... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=233277)

DJ's left nut 09-25-2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROR (Post 7035159)
Dude, I love Mizzou football, but this whole "lets start w/Illinois then play three All-Girl schools before heading to conference play" is just a bad idea. No wonder we struggle when it's time to play the real competition. Yes, I know that SDSU was a game this year, but in the years that the "Bowling Green's" turn out to be a game, I attribute that to the Tigers being a primarily young team and not hitting their "prime" yet.

As long as we win, great. But the scheduling just seems to cater to us being softened up when it's time to really get it on.

The schedules are made far in advance.

If you're a program like MU, you can't go scheduling USC and Florida for your non-con. Getting piss-pounded in the non-con sets you up poorly for the conference schedule and if you miss on a bowl game, it hammers your recruiting.

So MU tries to schedule 1 solid major conference school (Illinois is usually decent), 1 cream-puff (McNeese State types), and a couple of the decent programs from MAC/WAC schools. They don't make it tough, but they don't try to make it this easy either. They shoot for a schedule that will challenge them but still let them escape with a 4-0 record.

And if you don't like the non-con now, just wait until they're playing 9 conference games/season.

WoodDraw 09-25-2010 02:42 PM

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/st...nce-opponents/

That's a good article on what goes into scheduling these games.

We paid SDSU $850,000 to come play? ****ing hell.

Priest31kc 09-25-2010 02:42 PM

We just ran 4 straight QB sneaks w/ Franklin at their 5, didn't get in. Damn you Pinkel, I want 60.

DJ's left nut 09-25-2010 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Priest31kc (Post 7035204)
We just ran 4 straight QB sneaks w/ Franklin at their 5, didn't get in. Damn you Pinkel, I want 60.

Pinkel pretty much actively passes on scoring opportunities once MU gets above 50. I respect him for that.

Sure-Oz 09-25-2010 02:54 PM

Pinkel doesnt like to run up the score

-King- 09-25-2010 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROR (Post 7035159)
Dude, I love Mizzou football, but this whole "lets start w/Illinois then play three All-Girl schools before heading to conference play" is just a bad idea. No wonder we struggle when it's time to play the real competition. Yes, I know that SDSU was a game this year, but in the years that the "Bowling Green's" turn out to be a game, I attribute that to the Tigers being a primarily young team and not hitting their "prime" yet.

As long as we win, great. But the scheduling just seems to cater to us being softened up when it's time to really get it on.

Dude, the first 4 or so weeks of college football are the most reeruned things in sports. It's not just Mizzou.

Mosbonian 09-25-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 7035235)
Pinkel pretty much actively passes on scoring opportunities once MU gets above 50. I respect him for that.

You know...I used to feel that way also. But lately I have changed my mind on that. To me it shows passiveness.

DJ's left nut 09-25-2010 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dsnyfn (Post 7035334)
You know...I used to feel that way also. But lately I have changed my mind on that. To me it shows passiveness.

It shows an awareness of where you once were and where you now are.

Almost every major D-1 CFB coach came up through the ranks of the downtrodden. Pinkel got his start as a head coach at Toledo and I'm sure he's been on the wrong side of some lopsided scores.

He knows the toll it takes on these kids, he knows it serves little purpose.

It's important to remember that it's still just amateur athletics. Yeah, a few hundred of these guys will someday get paid to play this game, but 90% of them are just there to play the game. You gain nothing by crushing an overmatched squad.

If MU goes out there and drops 60 on a squad that's just as talented as them but didn't come to play, I guess I'd be okay with that. But when you're playing a team that you're just flat better than, you gain nothing by blasting them other than humiliating a bunch of kids that didn't do anything to deserve it.

Good for Pinkel. Guys like Steve Spurrier that get their rocks off by having their gang of 20 year olds beat the piss out of a bunch of other 20 year olds that are simply smaller and slower than them are nothing but cowardly bullies, IMO.

gblowfish 09-25-2010 03:45 PM

It's OK to put 50 on Nebraska.
It's also OK to call off the dogs on a MAC school.

crispystl 09-25-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 7035402)
It's OK to put 50 on Nebraska.
It's also OK to call off the dogs on a MAC school.

Exactly

'Hamas' Jenkins 09-25-2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 7035394)

Almost every major D-1 CFB coach came up through the ranks of the downtrodden. Pinkel got his start as a head coach at Toledo and I'm sure he's been on the wrong side of some lopsided scores.

It's important to remember that it's still just amateur athletics. Yeah, a few hundred of these guys will someday get paid to play this game, but 90% of them are just there to play the game. You gain nothing by crushing an overmatched squad.

If MU goes out there and drops 60 on a squad that's just as talented as them but didn't come to play, I guess I'd be okay with that. But when you're playing a team that you're just flat better than, you gain nothing by blasting them other than humiliating a bunch of kids that didn't do anything to deserve it.

Good for Pinkel. Guys like Steve Spurrier that get their rocks off by having their gang of 20 year olds beat the piss out of a bunch of other 20 year olds that are simply smaller and slower than them are nothing but cowardly bullies, IMO.

Good post.

But Jimmy Johnson beating the hog piss out of ND is also acceptable.

Reerun_KC 09-25-2010 04:49 PM

Its time for MU to be considered as a front runner for the Big 12 title and should be also talked about in National Title talk as well.

Frazod 09-25-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 7035568)
Its time for MU to be considered as a front runner for the Big 12 title and should be also talked about in National Title talk as well.

Oh shut up. :spank:

Mosbonian 09-25-2010 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 7035394)

I can understand and appreciate that.....don't necessarily agree with all of it, but can appreciate where you are coming from.

kepp 09-25-2010 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 7035568)

ROFL Get out of our thread!