ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc 13 Things Your Mail Carrier Won’t Tell You (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=241201)

Brock 02-04-2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warispeace (Post 7405931)
Compared to what? Do you know what a UPS driver makes?

Compared to what someone who works at Wal Mart makes.

luv 02-04-2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 7405926)
Like teachers, they get amazing vacation time and benefits.

That offsets the average pay.

True. Time off doesn't pay bills though. They get a lot of overtime, though. Carriers, that is.

My ex sil is a teacher. She had to work two jobs until she got remarried.

Brock 02-04-2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7405930)
Tell me how I misunderstood that jab?

How you misunderstood it is that you think I'm calling your dad a thief or something stupid like that.

chiefsnorth 02-04-2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7405911)
I'm standing up for a profession that has paid to put food on my family's table when I was growing up. Personally, I wouldn't want to be a carrier. I'd want an office job. I'm enough of a people person that I can get along with others and see their points of view, but I don't enjoy providing customer service all day long. I'm simply arguing your points to be arguing. It has nothing to do with intelligence. However, if you are calling any member of my family uneducated or dumb, then I'm going to speak up.

My father was a letter carrier. I'm grateful that these jobs exist so people like he, who was high school educated and not more, could still have a decent job without a trade to practice and without having to beat himself up doing manual labor all his life. Our economy needs jobs at all levels of skill.

As far as the salary, benefits, and vacation time, they are primarily the result of collective bargaining and thus, they are paid a far higher rate thanthe market would bear for them otherwise.

It's nice work if you can get it.

Fire Me Boy! 02-04-2011 12:39 PM

I stick with the Fed-Ex Express at my office. With the business account, I can send that same box of books across the country for $6 in two days, with tracking and insurance. For a couple dollars more, I can have it there the next day.

Brock 02-04-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 7405927)
out of curiousity brock, what do you do?

I play piano in a whorehouse. What difference does it make?

DaFace 02-04-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7405936)

:spock:

I don't completely disagree with you the overall point you're trying to make, but this comparison is stupid. There's no way in hell you could take your average Wal-Mart worker and suddenly give them a USPS job and expect them to succeed. You have to be tremendously more self-managed to be a mail carrier if nothing else.

notorious 02-04-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7405939)
True. Time off doesn't pay bills though. They get a lot of overtime, though. Carriers, that is.

My ex sil is a teacher. She had to work two jobs until she got remarried.

Luv, I have a ton of respect for teachers and postal workers.

They just don't have it nearly as bad as they think. Well, the postal workers, anyway.

Teachers have to put up with little bastards 8 hours a day. Screw that. I would need more then 4 months vacation a year to convince me to do that job.

rockymtnchief 02-04-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 7405844)
That's another thing. I get stuff from Seattle in 3 days. That's a helluva lot faster than UPS or fed ex.

I send things to the home office using the USPS. It beats FedEx and UPS by two days.:thumb:

I have nothing but good things to say about them around here. -25 temps and they still got my mail to me dailey.

Brock 02-04-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7405967)

I don't completely disagree with you the overall point you're trying to make, but this comparison is stupid. There's no way in hell you could take your average Wal-Mart worker and suddenly give them a USPS job and expect them to succeed. You have to be tremendously more self-managed to be a mail carrier if nothing else.

Well, I think you're underestimating the average Wal Mart worker. They're not stupid people.

luv 02-04-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7405942)
How you misunderstood it is that you think I'm calling your dad a thief or something stupid like that.

Okay, I get it. Postal workers equate to people who could possibly be dumbass thieves.

Anyway. Yes, I agree that they get paid quite well after an intial period and get great benefits for cheaper (although not paid for 100% like someone eluded to earlier). As far as benefits go, there are thousands upon thousands of workers that work for the same "company". Of course their health insurance and such will be less expensive. However, how many government agencies are unionized (literal question, I don't know)?

Ugh. Not going to make anymore arguments than to say that, while it may be "easy," it's not like they sit around and do nothing for their pay. Well, maybe clerks (jk).

Brock 02-04-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7405977)
Okay, I get it. Postal workers equate to people who could possibly be dumbass thieves.

Anyway. Yes, I agree that they get paid quite well after an intial period and get great benefits for cheaper (although not paid for 100% like someone eluded to earlier). As far as benefits go, there are thousands upon thousands of workers that work for the same "company". Of course their health insurance and such will be less expensive. However, how many government agencies are unionized (literal question, I don't know)?

Ugh. Not going to make anymore arguments than to say that, while it may be "easy," it's not like they sit around and do nothing for their pay. Well, maybe clerks (jk).

Well, Jesus Christ, at least you finally admitted the possibility that the job might be easy.

notorious 02-04-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7405936)

Hey, my wife is a manager at Wal-Mart.

Oh ya, her pay IS shit. Medical benefits are the only reason she works.

Rain Man 02-04-2011 12:49 PM

I think the best part of being a mailman would be riding the horses across the western landscape.

luv 02-04-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7405967)

They don't have to be micro managed. They get paid more not to steal.

:)