ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Simple AC tips to help keep your cool this summer (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=247485)

Bugeater 08-01-2011 11:21 PM

Heh, if it was me, I'd run that bitch even if it only meant the house was 5 degrees cooler than the temp outside. It's probably not the best thing for the compressor though.

BigChiefFan 08-01-2011 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 7794445)
Ah, gotcha. You're talking about attic fans.

The problem you're having is one that's been touched on a couple times before in this thread and is common to any two story home...you simply can't maintain the same temperature on both levels with a single system. Heat rises, cool air settles, end of story. You may be able to get them a little more closer by letting the fan run constantly, but when it's as hot as it's been lately I'd imagine your AC is running almost nonstop anyway.

Thanks, man. I appreciate the response. When I build a house in the future, what would you recommend as the most effecient system to use? Thanks, again, brother.

BigChiefFan 08-01-2011 11:28 PM

Look on Craigslist for a used window unit or two. A few years back, when our unit went out, it saved our ass.

Titty Meat 08-01-2011 11:45 PM

**** the compressor!

Thanks Bug

LiveSteam 08-02-2011 12:32 AM

Take a long drop cord,3way & a couple fans out side to your A/C unit,& set them so they blow threw the coils on the A/C.
It worked great on the Red Green show.

LabRat38 08-02-2011 10:24 AM

Okay another question for the AC dudes around here. We have a 4 year old Lennox system (XC14). Yesterday during the afternoon my wife calls to say the AC isn't working very well, if at all. The temperature had increased in our house from 80-84 in like 30 minutes. I tell her maybe it just can't keep up with the extreme heat, but that it does sound weird. When I get home it is already 88 in the house. So I go downstairs and check the AC. The 2 freon lines are almost the same temperature and feel like room air temp. The plenum above the evaporator doesn't feel cool either. I went outside and it doesn't sound like the compressor is running but the fan is. I say is doesn't sound like the compressor is running because it has always been very quiet anyway. I opened up the AC to wash off the condensor coils which were a little dirty but not bad. I put everything back together and turn the unit back on. Still nothing for about 30-60 minutes. Then all of the sudden it starts back up. It ran all night and was still running when I left for work this morning. We scheduled a 3:00 pm service appt for today when it wasn't working. Questions:
1. Does it make any sense to have a AC tech come out now that it is running?
2. What could have caused the unit to shut down for a few hours?
3. Is the compressor overheating and causing it to fault out and shut down? If so, what could cause that to happen?

RustShack 08-02-2011 04:08 PM

I just felt my coils. The one is cool, not quite as cool as a can of beer but pretty close. The other just feels like a coil.. wasn't warm or cool. Its set at 70 in the house, but the temperature is 80. Its been this way for a few weeks now. They came and fixed it, but after a few weeks its doing the same thing again. Blowing air, but not cool air. Outside the thing is blowing out air, but not as hot as it should be.

Stewie 08-02-2011 04:16 PM

It's 108 here now. I'm sure glad my A/C is running like a champ. It's a HEIL and has been great for 5 years.

Bugeater 08-02-2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabRat38 (Post 7795156)
Okay another question for the AC dudes around here. We have a 4 year old Lennox system (XC14). Yesterday during the afternoon my wife calls to say the AC isn't working very well, if at all. The temperature had increased in our house from 80-84 in like 30 minutes. I tell her maybe it just can't keep up with the extreme heat, but that it does sound weird. When I get home it is already 88 in the house. So I go downstairs and check the AC. The 2 freon lines are almost the same temperature and feel like room air temp. The plenum above the evaporator doesn't feel cool either. I went outside and it doesn't sound like the compressor is running but the fan is. I say is doesn't sound like the compressor is running because it has always been very quiet anyway. I opened up the AC to wash off the condensor coils which were a little dirty but not bad. I put everything back together and turn the unit back on. Still nothing for about 30-60 minutes. Then all of the sudden it starts back up. It ran all night and was still running when I left for work this morning. We scheduled a 3:00 pm service appt for today when it wasn't working. Questions:
1. Does it make any sense to have a AC tech come out now that it is running?
2. What could have caused the unit to shut down for a few hours?
3. Is the compressor overheating and causing it to fault out and shut down? If so, what could cause that to happen?

1. Yes, something isn't right. Make sure he tests all your caps.
2+3. Definitely sounds like it went into overload, which I've only had happen to units with dirty condensers or failed condenser fans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 7796247)
I just felt my coils. The one is cool, not quite as cool as a can of beer but pretty close. The other just feels like a coil.. wasn't warm or cool. Its set at 70 in the house, but the temperature is 80. Its been this way for a few weeks now. They came and fixed it, but after a few weeks its doing the same thing again. Blowing air, but not cool air. Outside the thing is blowing out air, but not as hot as it should be.

I'd put my money on your system having a refrigerant leak, and if you're living in a multi-family dwelling they're nearly impossible to track down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 7796261)
It's 108 here now. I'm sure glad my A/C is running like a champ. It's a HEIL and has been great for 5 years.

My current instructor at school is big on Heils, they have a 10 year warranty on their new units.

Bugeater 08-02-2011 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan (Post 7794556)
Thanks, man. I appreciate the response. When I build a house in the future, what would you recommend as the most effecient system to use? Thanks, again, brother.

Having a system properly installed is exponentially more important than the brand name.

Mr_Tomahawk 08-02-2011 06:23 PM

My AC just went out. Went outside to check the unit. Something is on/running in the unit...but the fan isn't spinning...?

AC man coming out tomorrow.

Titty Meat 08-02-2011 06:35 PM

Heh it was just a fuse rod that needed to be replaced? Costed 7 bucks and 75 total for service.

Bugeater 08-02-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 7796540)
My AC just went out. Went outside to check the unit. Something is on/running in the unit...but the fan isn't spinning...?

AC man coming out tomorrow.

Sounds like the same thing Billay's was doing.

Titty Meat 08-02-2011 09:28 PM

Yep fuse was blown on mine. I'd suggest the guy to you but sounds like you already have someone coming out. Everyplace in town charged 89 bucks just to come out this guy charged 55 but since he was doing it after hours it was 75. It took him literally 5 minutes.

SLAG 09-23-2011 04:10 PM

Hey Guys
I've been trying to get ahold of my Normal HVAC guy but he's not returning my calls (maybe he's on vacation?) Anyway... as some of you know we Moved to IL but rented out my house in KS - my tenants are saying that the Outside unit will kick on but the blower in the house isn't going.

Anyone there in the JoCo area willing to be my contractor and not screw me over/ gouge me?

Any suggestions for a quick fix for my tenants?

TIA