ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Miami booster scandal, with Frank Haith mentioned. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=248568)

DJ's left nut 08-17-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 7831919)
Just pay the ****in kids already. The NCAA is a bunch of greedy ****s.

This is just not doable.

Virtually all of these schools are major state-subsidized land-grant institutions. What are you going to pay them with, tax dollars?

And if you say it has to be booster or ticket-fueled, prepare to see only a handful of schools win ever again. And if the athletes are paid, the NCAA can't govern anymore so any scholarship limitations are by the wayside as the NCAA doesn't have the jurisdiction to enforce them (not 'amateur' athletics).

Every single time someone says "just pay the kids", they completely ignore the fact that it's completely impracticable. It would destroy college sports as we know it and would create a bureaucratic apparatus so large that it would be nearly impossible to oversee.

Titty Meat 08-17-2011 04:05 PM

Chiefzilla is a Tosu guy? Coulda sworn he was a KU fan.

chiefzilla1501 08-17-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 7831915)
Every single time there's a college football story, chiefzilla starts bitching about how persecuted the Buckeyes were.

Give it a rest already. Clearly nothing more than an asshurt Buckeye fan (as though there's any other kind).

I have never defended anything OSU has done. I think they deserve what they got. But long before the violations, I've also pointed out the ridiculous NCAA system that incentivizes college programs to cheat.

But it's ridiculous for ANYONE to suggest that ESPN isn't sensationalizing OSU violations for ratings. Because the more they trash on OSU, the more their ratings go up. Allegations against Oregon are a shitload more egregious. These allegations against Miami are probably the most egregious in the history of college football.

WilliamTheIrish 08-17-2011 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 7831922)
I'm barely a fan of the team. I agree wholeheartedly with the suspensions and think they should have been worse.

But the only reason you don't see what's going on is because you, like most people, don't like OSU. And you enjoy reading articles that trash on OSU. I don't blame you--I enjoy reading articles trashing on Duke. ESPN is capitalizing on people's hatred of OSU, the same way they capitalized on the hatred of ARod, and the same way they defend to the death the reputation of "good guys" like Papi and LeBron.

It's FoxNews/MSNBC coverage.

I, like most people, don't care about tOSU. Nor do I care about their large number of barely non fans of the team who feel they've been wronged by ESPN. So save the calories you're spending plinking the keys to tell me how I feel about the poor, tortured, persecuted, sweater vest Christmas gift giving, tOSU fans.

Jesus, go listen to a Nickelback album, it'll settle your emosoul.

booger 08-17-2011 04:21 PM

Country strong was just there to teach them how to cook Gator and raccoon meat

chiefzilla1501 08-17-2011 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 7831953)
I, like most people, don't care about tOSU. Nor do I care about their large number of barely non fans of the team who feel they've been wronged by ESPN. So save the calories you're spending plinking the keys to tell me how I feel about the poor, tortured, persecuted, sweater vest Christmas gift giving, tOSU fans.

Jesus, go listen to a Nickelback album, it'll settle your emosoul.

It doesn't change the argument that ESPN picks heroes and villains. Throw OSU aside. I know lots of people here hate LeBron. Is anyone going to argue against the idea that ESPN has gone through extraordinary efforts to paint him as a good guy?

Like I said, I don't care about the persecution. I just think ESPN is starting to become the FoxNews of sports reporting.

CoMoChief 08-17-2011 05:04 PM

Alden needs to be canned.

From the whole Quin/Ricky Clemons/Gary Link saga to getting owned by their arch rivals for a Orange Bowl bid, then the Mu to Big 10 rumors that eventually backfired in their faces and what ultimately will lea to the end of the Big12 conference and whatever shot MU has at playing a a major bowl game in the near future esp with some of the recruits they're starting to get in fball (esp if they pick up DGB). The failing attempt to hire Matt Painter, leading to a desperation and incompetent hire in Frank Haith, a marginal at best coach with a shitty record. So the feds were investigating Miami back in Aug-Sept 2010 when all of the ponzi scheme shit came afloat with that booster Shapiro and you're telling me that Alden, after hiring Haith in the spring of 2011, had known nothing about this or what could possibly come out of it? I don't buy that for one second... This wasn't something small.....this was a HUGE scandal. It's Alden's job to protect the integrity of the Ath dept at MU. Either he was WAYYY too incompetent when making this hire or he just plain didn't care about what was going on behind the curtain, in which either way he needs to be fired. How many lives does this AD have lol?

crispystl 08-17-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 7832017)
Alden needs to be canned.

From the whole Quin/Ricky Clemons/Gary Link saga to getting owned by their arch rivals for a Orange Bowl bid, then the Mu to Big 10 rumors that eventually backfired in their faces and what ultimately will lea to the end of the Big12 conference and whatever shot MU has at playing a a major bowl game in the near future esp with some of the recruits they're starting to get in fball (esp if they pick up DGB). The failing attempt to hire Matt Painter, leading to a desperation and incompetent hire in Frank Haith, a marginal at best coach with a shitty record. So the feds were investigating Miami back in Aug-Sept 2010 when all of the ponzi scheme shit came afloat with that booster Shapiro and you're telling me that Alden, after hiring Haith in the spring of 2011, had known nothing about this or what could possibly come out of it? I don't buy that for one second... This wasn't something small.....this was a HUGE scandal. It's Alden's job to protect the integrity of the Ath dept at MU. Either he was WAYYY too incompetent when making this hire or he just plain didn't care about what was going on behind the curtain, in which either way he needs to be fired. How many lives does this AD have lol?

Well said

the Talking Can 08-17-2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 7831894)
I'm sorry, but this story isn't getting even CLOSE to the same amount of attention the Ohio State story got when "tattoogate" first broke. Especially when you factor in that these allegations are a million times more egregious than OSU. The story isn't even the feature headline. They have Notre Dame as the picture story, for crying out loud. Since the Ohio State story broke, they have had one featured headline almost every week, especially in the past 1-2 months. They have two headlines right now, for crying out loud. They even made Tressel's salary front page news. I have no problem with the attention OSU is getting, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that ESPN is peppering meaningless stories about OSU every single week and sensationalizing their violations, when there are 3 schools that are getting serious scrutiny too.

The problem is, it's only ESPN that's doing this. And it's not just OSU vs. the world. It's their over-defensiveness of LeBron James. It's the enormous amount of attention they paid to ARod while Papi got off easy doing the same shit. ESPN has become FoxNews or MSNBC. Rather than report sports news, they are picking heroes and villains to boost ratings. And that's ****ing shady, for a site that tries to be an unbiased source for sports news.

no, it's stupid ohio state fans pretending ESPN is the reason their coach is a lying d-bag....

this story has been the top news on every sports outlet, tv and radio, nationwide....

chiefzilla1501 08-17-2011 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 7832049)
no, it's stupid ohio state fans pretending ESPN is the reason their coach is a lying d-bag....

this story has been the top news on every sports outlet, tv and radio, nationwide....

I think Ohio State fans, as most fans would, are reacting pretty stupidly to the whole thing. The players did wrong, Tressel did wrong, it's clear as day that they ****ed up. They deserve to be punished and they deserve to be drilled for it. They are a big enough program that it should be front-page news.

But that doesn't excuse ESPN treating the whole thing like Caylee Anthony where they front-page every interview with any person who has dirt on OSU, even if the dirt isn't reliable or isn't that newsworthy. I'm finding CNNSI to be a hell of a lot better.

the Talking Can 08-17-2011 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 7832073)
I think Ohio State fans, as most fans would, are reacting pretty stupidly to the whole thing. The players did wrong, Tressel did wrong, it's clear as day that they ****ed up. They deserve to be punished and they deserve to be drilled for it. They are a big enough program that it should be front-page news.

But that doesn't excuse ESPN treating the whole thing like Caylee Anthony where they front-page every interview with any person who has dirt on OSU, even if the dirt isn't reliable or isn't that newsworthy. I'm finding CNNSI to be a hell of a lot better.

yeah, osu butt hurt....you're the only school who has ever been mentioned by espn

except for every other school caught breaking rules....

hilarious

chiefzilla1501 08-17-2011 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 7832077)
yeah, osu butt hurt....you're the only school who has ever been mentioned by espn

except for every other school caught breaking rules....

hilarious

I don't know how it's butthurt, given that I think OSU deserves what they're getting.

But dont' give me this horse shit that OSU has been treated like any other team. Oregon has recruiting violations that may have given the team an unfair competitive advantage for a team in the national championship. Never hear a peep. Auburn had infractions amounting to potentially $180,000 toward a Heisman candidate that won the national championship for them. Don't remember journalists peppering every single DMV and booster in the state with questions. In Miami, we're talking about a booster who gave millions of dollars of benefits to players. We have yet to see the airtime Miami gets, but to match up to OSU's, they'll have to get a ton of airtime consistently... and for 8 straight months. I highly doubt that happens. And we're talking about infractions that are going to make OSU's look like pre-school issues.

blaise 08-17-2011 06:40 PM

Dude, this story is headline national news, not just sports sections. There's no way the Ohio State tattoo story got, or will get anywhere near what this will. It's not even close. This story dominated the news today, all sports programs and even leaked into regular news programming.

kstater 08-17-2011 07:03 PM

Front page of ESPN.com, clearly not caring about this story.

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/8789/unledadu.png

the Talking Can 08-17-2011 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 7832132)
I don't know how it's butthurt, given that I think OSU deserves what they're getting.

But dont' give me this horse shit that OSU has been treated like any other team. Oregon has recruiting violations that may have given the team an unfair competitive advantage for a team in the national championship. Never hear a peep. Auburn had infractions amounting to potentially $180,000 toward a Heisman candidate that won the national championship for them. Don't remember journalists peppering every single DMV and booster in the state with questions. In Miami, we're talking about a booster who gave millions of dollars of benefits to players. We have yet to see the airtime Miami gets, but to match up to OSU's, they'll have to get a ton of airtime consistently... and for 8 straight months. I highly doubt that happens. And we're talking about infractions that are going to make OSU's look like pre-school issues.

jesus, you're a walking parody of osu fans.....embarrassing