ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Science Particles found to break speed of light (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=250437)

Donger 11-21-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8127829)
Performance-enhancing drugs. Neutrinos were cheating.

Neutrinos can't take drugs.

Graystoke 11-21-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 8127859)

No they can't.

But perhaps the particles could have moved backwards, through time in it's own time frame of reference, our frame of reference, or both, hence cheating its way to the line.

All the while doubting that if you moved back in time in your own frame of reference, AND in the frame of reference from which you were being measured, you wouldn't be any further ahead. I mean, any further behind.

FAX 11-21-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graystoke (Post 8127877)
No they can't.

But perhaps the particles could have moved backwards, through time in it's own time frame of reference, our frame of reference, or both, hence cheating its way to the line.

All the while doubting that if you moved back in time in your own frame of reference, AND in the frame of reference from which you were being measured, you wouldn't be any further ahead. I mean, any further behind.

Good points, here.

Damn good.

FAX

Pants 11-21-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 8127859)

Yeah, I think that was a joke, Donger. Maybe Dave Lane meant something else by PEDs, I don't know.

Donger 11-21-2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8128031)
Yeah, I think that was a joke, Donger. Maybe Dave Lane meant something else by PEDs, I don't know.

Yes, I knew it was a joke, as was my response.

Pants 11-21-2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 8128049)

Dry humor is dry. Very nice.

FAX 11-21-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 8128049)

Mr. Donger, ripping off the hilarity.

FAX

Valiant 11-21-2011 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 7934689)
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

I've been delving into the whole creation/evolution debate lately. It's pretty interesting if you look at the question in a fully objective frame of mind. There are so many aspects of human existence that remain open to debate.

Science is constantly "advancing". This means, of course, that, as time goes on, what we once believed as fact is, at some point, no longer found to be true. That provides very little comfort that "science" actually knows a whole heck of a lot about anything ... at any given point in time, I mean.

FAX THE PROBABLY NEEDS TO SMOKE A DOOBIE

When has religion advanced?? Basically religion stays in mommy mode.."cause I said so..."

Rain Man 02-22-2012 04:03 PM

Oops. Never mind.

http://gizmodo.com/5887398/a-loose-c...particles-test

Ridiculous: A Loose Cable Caused Those ‘Faster-Than-Light’ Particles

We know that Einstein always has the last laugh, but this is hilarious: the faster-than-light particles that could have wrecked his relativity theory are no more. It was a mistake in the test results caused by a loose cable.

Didn't anyone from the Genius Bar tell them about the first rule of tech support? Check your cables first! Oh, scientists!

Researchers at CERN have found out that a bad fiber-optics link between a GPS unit and a computer was causing the 60 nanosecond timing discrepancy that was driving everyone mad. Once they realized this, the cable was tightened and the difference was gone. Yes, the faster-than-light neutrinos are not real (at least, we haven't detected them if they exist) and the Universe can breath once again and keep destroying galactic wonders.

Apparently, the 60 nanosecond difference comes from the time it took to the data to travel through the cable, which fully accounts for the unexplainable 60 nanosecond neutrino speedup.

Surprising experiment

Last year, physicists published the results of a 3-year experiment that timed about 16,000 neutrino packets launched from CERN facilities in Geneva, travelling through Earth and arriving 2.43 milliseconds later to the subterranean facilities of Italy's Gran Sasso National Laboratory. There, the Oscillation Project with Emulsion-tRacking Apparatus (the OPERA particle detector) recorded the hits.

When scientists discovered that the particles were arriving 60 nanoseconds faster than the speed of light—with only a 10 nanosecond error margin—they freaked out. Most physicists pointed out that this must be a mistake, since Einstein's theory clearly establishes that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.

But CERN repeated the experiments and found the same results, which further puzzled out everyone. Still, they vowed to find the cause of the problem or definitely confirm the shocking findings. Now, it seems that a lousy cable connection was the simple answer to the whole problem.

Researchers say that they have to test the whole thing again, but it looks like the mystery may have been solved. Meanwhile, Einstein's atoms are laughing somewhere in space.

FAX 02-22-2012 04:08 PM

A loose cable?

Sometimes scientists piss me off.

FAX

chefsos 02-22-2012 04:14 PM

I've found that my quality of life improves whenever I can laugh at people who are smarter than me. Yep.

GordonGekko 02-22-2012 04:16 PM

I wonder how many $millions were burned through to get to this conclusion

Donger 02-22-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8390983)
Oops. Never mind.

http://gizmodo.com/5887398/a-loose-c...particles-test

Ridiculous: A Loose Cable Caused Those ‘Faster-Than-Light’ Particles

We know that Einstein always has the last laugh, but this is hilarious: the faster-than-light particles that could have wrecked his relativity theory are no more. It was a mistake in the test results caused by a loose cable.

Didn't anyone from the Genius Bar tell them about the first rule of tech support? Check your cables first! Oh, scientists!

Researchers at CERN have found out that a bad fiber-optics link between a GPS unit and a computer was causing the 60 nanosecond timing discrepancy that was driving everyone mad. Once they realized this, the cable was tightened and the difference was gone. Yes, the faster-than-light neutrinos are not real (at least, we haven't detected them if they exist) and the Universe can breath once again and keep destroying galactic wonders.

Apparently, the 60 nanosecond difference comes from the time it took to the data to travel through the cable, which fully accounts for the unexplainable 60 nanosecond neutrino speedup.

Surprising experiment

Last year, physicists published the results of a 3-year experiment that timed about 16,000 neutrino packets launched from CERN facilities in Geneva, travelling through Earth and arriving 2.43 milliseconds later to the subterranean facilities of Italy's Gran Sasso National Laboratory. There, the Oscillation Project with Emulsion-tRacking Apparatus (the OPERA particle detector) recorded the hits.

When scientists discovered that the particles were arriving 60 nanoseconds faster than the speed of light—with only a 10 nanosecond error margin—they freaked out. Most physicists pointed out that this must be a mistake, since Einstein's theory clearly establishes that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.

But CERN repeated the experiments and found the same results, which further puzzled out everyone. Still, they vowed to find the cause of the problem or definitely confirm the shocking findings. Now, it seems that a lousy cable connection was the simple answer to the whole problem.

Researchers say that they have to test the whole thing again, but it looks like the mystery may have been solved. Meanwhile, Einstein's atoms are laughing somewhere in space.

****ing dorks.

LMAO

Frazod 02-22-2012 04:47 PM

Damn, that's embarrassing. But at least they came out and owned their mistake.

suds79 02-22-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8391066)
Damn, that's embarrassing. But at least they came out and owned their mistake.

Did they have a choice?

No extra credit for doing the right thing.

Sincerely,

"I take care of my kids"