ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Where would you most like to move? (continental U.S. only) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=260651)

DeepPurple 06-24-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trivers (Post 8692226)
Hey, want do you think of Panama City and Fort Walton Beach? Those look just to the east. Thanks

Ft. Walton Beach is an Air Force town because of Eglin AFB and a smaller version of Pensacola. Where Pensacola has two malls, Ft. Walton has one. Pensacola has a huge civic center built in 1983 with has big name artist, Fort Walton you would drive to Pensacola to see the shows because they would never come to Ft. Walton. They do get a lot of rich tourist in Destin which is very near there.

My best friend lives in Navarre, which is halfway between Ft. Walton and Pensacola. For jobs and entertainmement they go to Pensacola. I remember when Jaws II was filmed at Navarre Beach around '79. I went to the Holiday Inn and the entire cast and crew was staying there and I saw several of the sharks but none of the actors. The opening scene where a high school band is playing was filmed at the Holiday Inn Navarre Beach inside the Holidome. That hotel was demolished in 1996 hurricane and the entire beach was closed for a long time, it has since all been rebuilt.

Panama City I use to go to in 1970 when I was stationed two hours north at Ft. Rucker, Alabama. At that time the beach was about a mile long and you could stay in cottage for $15 a night. Today, Panama City is 20 miles of hotels, condos and attractions and has a summer tourist season unlike the rest of Florida which is a winter resort. It has a big spring break season, probably getting bigger than Daytona by now. It has some tourist in the winter, usually Canadians trying to save money and to them 50-60 degrees is warm, whereas most American tourist head to Orlando or the beaches south where it's in the 70's and 80's.

The panhandle of Florida does have more of a seasonal weather change, and housing is mostly brick not the usual masonry type. We use to call Pensacola "LA" for Lower Alabama. Panama City is called "PC", and if I was still in my 20's and 30's and liked to party, that's probably where I would think of moving. It's definitely a younger crowd.

Chief Roundup 06-24-2012 01:40 PM

I never liked Biloxi. The sand on the beaches seems dirty. The people are unattractive and the city itself always had trash in the streets.
For me it would be Destin, Florida or Greenville, SC

Lbedrock1 06-24-2012 01:41 PM

Charlotte N.C. is my choice right now. I was born and raised in K.C. moved to serve my country. I lived in Ca, Ga, and and currently Tx. I like Charlotte because it reminds me of Atlanta and K.C. combined as a city. It is not to far from the mountains and the ocean is just a drive away. If not Charlotte then Atlanta right now.

Dylan 06-24-2012 01:52 PM

Sonoma, right now!

Sitting in the stands with some wine & cheese and watching the race.

I'm tired of looking down at cement and the tops of a few trees. http://planetsmilies.net/not-tagged-smiley-14836.gif

R8RFAN 06-24-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lbedrock1 (Post 8698738)
Charlotte N.C. is my choice right now. I was born and raised in K.C. moved to serve my country. I lived in Ca, Ga, and and currently Tx. I like Charlotte because it reminds me of Atlanta and K.C. combined as a city. It is not to far from the mountains and the ocean is just a drive away. If not Charlotte then Atlanta right now.

Ewwwwww.... I despise Charlotte and Raleigh... Traffic sucks

Myrtle Beach is awesome if you are young... Busy in the summer, a ghost town in the winter.
http://visitsouthcarolina.net/wp-con...23-exter-1.jpg

Rexx 06-24-2012 02:13 PM

Fort Collins, CO
Flagstaff, AZ
Albuquerque, NM
San Luis Obispo, CA
Lake Tahoe, NV

All very nice!

Gary 06-24-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 8688513)
Ft. Myers, Florida seems like a good place. From what I have noticed it is one of the areas of FL protected from the abuse of hurricanes since it is on the west side and hurricanes that hit the gulf don't typically travel in that direction.

I've lived in Fort Myers for 17 years now. Unless you like old people who feel like the world owes them a favor, a melting pot of people from all over the place that in no way develops into a sense of community, high levels of corruption in local governments, banks on every other street corner, & golf courses on the rest of the street corners...I wouldn't recommend it. We also have seen a sudden increase in homicide in this community. Since a week ago last Friday, there have been three separate shootings deaths.

DeepPurple 06-24-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary (Post 8698821)
Ft. Myers, Florida...We also have seen a sudden increase in homicide in this community. Since a week ago last Friday, there have been three separate shootings deaths.

Someone posted they would like to live in Orlando. We are 50 miles north and well away from that area but we do get our local TV from Orlando. Besides the Casey Anthony and Travon Martin stories, everyday there is a murder in Orlando. It's like Miami has moved north, we go to Orlando for the attractions and to the malls and that's it. Don't get lost in Orlando, it's not like it use to be.

WilliamTheIrish 06-24-2012 02:46 PM

Oh... Rooney you f! Shoot that or cross it.

WilliamTheIrish 06-24-2012 02:47 PM

Sorry lads.. wrong thread..

Dayze 06-24-2012 03:02 PM

If being employeed wasn't an issue etc, I would live somewhere in Wyoming or Montana.

Rain Man 06-24-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepPurple (Post 8698838)
Someone posted they would like to live in Orlando. We are 50 miles north and well away from that area but we do get our local TV from Orlando. Besides the Casey Anthony and Travon Martin stories, everyday there is a murder in Orlando. It's like Miami has moved north, we go to Orlando for the attractions and to the malls and that's it. Don't get lost in Orlando, it's not like it use to be.

Well, sure. The parts OUTSIDE Disney.

Frazod 06-24-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 8698883)
If being employeed wasn't an issue etc, I would live somewhere in Wyoming or Montana.

Yeah, unfortunately that whole needing to make a living thing always ****s that up.

BWillie 06-24-2012 04:37 PM

If money was not a factor, Orange County, San Diego or San fran

2bikemike 06-24-2012 05:30 PM

We think a lot about where to go, but me and the mrs. don't quite agree. I would like to get the hell out of California and end up in Idaho, Montana, Utah or some where similar. I would like a big piece of land that I could plop a nice house down in the middle.

But Mrs. 2bike doesn't want to be further than about a 10 minute drive to the mall. She if always telling me how much she loves Calif. She is not political and only sees the beauty of the weather, mountains and ocean. I too love the things California has to offer but I flat out can't stand the politics, regulations, taxes etc..