ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Music I interviewed Joe Elliott of Def Leppard today (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271554)

MeatRock 03-30-2013 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 9538326)
o:-)

in St. Louis I told my son to try and watch Peart's drum sticks as he played. The tips were white and stood out. After a couple of minutes he said " Dad he moves too fast-lol" His hands are actually quicker than your eyes can see.

I love Bonzo and Moon- but they are just on another level behind him. There are some Amazing drummers coming up the ranks- but i don't think they will ever reach the Professor. :D

Sorry dude, but there are better drummers out there than Peart. Dave Weckl and Danny Carey among a few others. Don't get me wrong, Peart's name belongs in the upper echelon.

Carlota69 03-30-2013 01:55 AM

:deevee:
Quote:

Originally Posted by MeatRock (Post 9540791)
Sorry dude, but there are better drummers out there than Peart. Dave Weckl and Danny Carey among a few others. Don't get me wrong, Peart's name belongs in the upper echelon.

Danny Carey is bad ass, and of course the fact that he is a Chiefs can makes him even better!!!

MeatRock 03-30-2013 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlota69 (Post 9540793)
:deevee:
Danny Carey is bad ass, and of course the fact that he is a Chiefs can makes him even better!!!

:thumb: Agreed. Carey is on another level than Peart. His rudiment and paradiddle drum work on Aenima is insane. Never seen Peart play that kind of shit.

MeatRock 03-30-2013 02:14 AM

Dave Weckl is incredible too. Plays a traditional style, but just owns around a drum kit.

Carlota69 03-30-2013 09:04 AM

And while we're talking percussion, have you seen Godsmack do their drum Battles? Shannon Larkin is awesome and entertaining as hell:)

BigMeatballDave 03-30-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeatRock (Post 9540794)
:thumb: Agreed. Carey is on another level than Peart. His rudiment and paradiddle drum work on Aenima is insane. Never seen Peart play that kind of shit.

2 of my favorite drummers. I think they are on the same level.

BigMeatballDave 03-30-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9539141)
What you hear on Pyromania and Hysteria is what you heard on Shania records: Mutt Lange.

Do not agree with the Pyromania comment.

Sure, I heard similarities with Hysteria and Twain, but not Pyromania.

Hell, Pyromania is different than Hysteria.

Halfcan 03-30-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebolapox (Post 9539266)
freddie mercury >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> your list :spock:

:thumb:
I don't know why I always forget about him. I saw Queen and Billy Squire back in the 80's and Freddie was amazing. I think Queen still had a lot of awesome music in them.

News of the World still one of my favs.

Halfcan 03-30-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeatRock (Post 9540791)

LMAO

Peart plays in Every style there is from Jazz to Rock. When he was at his best- he took lessons from Freddie Gruber-considered the best drum teacher of all time by many- and completely reinvented his stlye. He has changed since then as well.

Peart was Drummer of the Year so many times they had to retire his name after more than a decade to give others a shot- and that is from votes of Other drummers not just fans. And was Drummer of the year- last year as well for Drum magazine I believe it was- so he is Still relevant.

When Carey is considered the Best in the world for close to 4 decades- you might have a point- he is amazing- and I know Neil has praised him as well.

When Neil has been asked- he says Buddy or Moon. I think he eclipsed them in the 70's though.

When carey has 40 years of amazing live performaces, 30 plus records, 3 instructional videos that have set the standard and influenced every drummer that has picked up the sticks in since the 70's- you might have more of a case to pick him as the best.

Halfcan 03-30-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlota69 (Post 9541004)
And while we're talking percussion, have you seen Godsmack do their drum Battles? Shannon Larkin is awesome and entertaining as hell:)

I am not sure if you have read Sully's book- it is pretty incredible what he overcame to be where he is. He has a Lot of heart- and is a terrific drummer and singer as well. They put on a hell of a show with the drum solo being a highlight. Larkin can smash the skins pretty good but still says Sulley is better?

Cannibal 03-30-2013 10:03 AM

Def Leopard were good at their craft, and certainly didn't suck at playing it. But I was never a fan of that genre.

Carlota69 03-30-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 9541115)
I am not sure if you have read Sully's book- it is pretty incredible what he overcame to be where he is. He has a Lot of heart- and is a terrific drummer and singer as well. They put on a hell of a show with the drum solo being a highlight. Larkin can smash the skins pretty good but still says Sulley is better?

Oh, they are both amazing, I just love watching Shannon. His arms a flailing...super entertaining. Sully is an insanely good drummer as well.

I've interviewed Sully so many times, I almost don't know what t ask him anymore...lol. He's a very emotional dude. He can be the coolest guy ever, or the biggest dick, although he's always very cool to me. When he sees me he immediately says my name with flair..."Carrrrrrr loooowwwwwww tahhhhhh". It's nice when they recognize and remember you right away. But then again, I've interviewed him at least 20 times in the last 14 or so years.

Consistent1 03-30-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 9541086)
I don't know why I always forget about him. I saw Queen and Billy Squire back in the 80's and Freddie was amazing. I think Queen still had a lot of awesome music in them.

News of the World still one of my favs.

Freddy was amazing. I remember getting in trouble for trading a Nerf soccer ball at school for The Game on vinyl. lmao

DaneMcCloud 03-30-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9541038)
Do not agree with the Pyromania comment.

Sure, I heard similarities with Hysteria and Twain, but not Pyromania.

Hell, Pyromania is different than Hysteria.

Pyromania
was definitely the precursor to Hysteria. Linn 9000 drum machine, stacked vocal harmonies and cleaner production.

On Hysteria, Mutt took it to another level by using Rockman headphone amps for guitars, synth basses and 100 vocals tracks, per song, all recorded into a Synclavier for sample triggering.

There's a reason that record took 3 years to make and that's because the technology was ancient compared to today.

DaneMcCloud 03-30-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlota69 (Post 9541163)
Oh, they are both amazing, I just love watching Shannon. His arms a flailing...super entertaining. Sully is an insanely good drummer as well.

He's definitely got that "Octopuss" vibe happening behind the kit. He's a good singer, too.