ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports ****Official UFC 162: Silva vs. Weidman Thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274326)

Pants 07-07-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9797815)
Silva was clowning the whole time. He did what he did with Bonnar in the first round... he willingly put himself against the fence.

There was nothing respectable about any aspect of that fight. It was a joke the whole 1 and 1/5th rounds.

Except for the fact that Weidman took him down, commenced with a wee bit of ground and pound and then almost caught him with a kneebar which led to Silva's eventual escape back to stand-up and the clowning.

rico 07-07-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9797815)
Silva was clowning the whole time. He did what he did with Bonnar in the first round... he willingly put himself against the fence.

You didn't think the takedown in the first was legit? You believe he wasn't trying...at all, to counter Weidman's punches while on his back? You didn't think he was making it a point to not end up on the ground with Weidman for the small remainder of the match?

Comparing Bonnar and Weidman = comparing apples and oranges. They have different backgrounds... and the outcome was different...and the fact that it was predestined to be different was inevitable.

Speaking of that (some more wrestling bias), Silva has only faced 3 (including Weidman) highly accomplished wrestlers (that I can think of). An aged Henderson...whooptie-doo. Sonnen, which we all know, match 1 it appeared as if Sonnen had it locked up with a few minutes remaining in the match...match 2, of course was Silva-domination. Now Weidman...who he lost to and will probably lose to again. It's fair to say that the dude has struggled a bit more with wrestlers than he has other fighters.

jd1020 07-07-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 9797836)
Comparing Bonnar and Weidman = comparing apples and oranges. They have different backgrounds.

Quote me where I compared them... pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease.

rico 07-07-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9797840)

Yeah, I know.....

I almost cut that part out after posting because I thought of that myself (that you hadn't compared them). Honestly, I think I was just overly eager to post the wrestling shit.....

www.savewrestling.com has made me a bigger advocate for wrestling than PETA people are for animals.

BigCatDaddy 07-07-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9797840)

What point are you trying to make? You just seem butt hurt that Silva got KTFO.

rico 07-07-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9797926)

He was calling me out for making a comment that was in response to one of his posts where I implied that he compared Bonnar and Weidman...which he was right, he didn't compare the two.

I agree with your second sentence. A lot of people come off that way when someone who was previously perceived as unbeatable is challenged, let alone beaten, like Silva.

ThaVirus 07-08-2013 12:50 AM

I haven't watched the fight but my boss ( who is Brazilian ) says Silva threw that fight. He thinks he's done with fighting and just wanted the final pay day..

CoMoChief 07-08-2013 05:10 AM

Silva threw that fight. He didn't care. He still got caught..but he got caught while he was clowning ..not giving a shit about the fight. That's his own damn fault and ultimately led to one of the biggest upsets in UFC history.

Silva was making a mockery of the division with that fight. He's so talented if he (Silva) wanted to Weidman would have been destroyed in about a couple mins.

I bet Dana has to be pissed off. I think Silva is done even though he has what 10 fights left on his deal? No way he honors that because he's not fighting 4-5 more years. Unless Dana puts him into a Superfight against GSP or Jones.

rico 07-08-2013 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9797977)
I haven't watched the fight but my boss ( who is Brazilian ) says Silva threw that fight. He thinks he's done with fighting and just wanted the final pay day..

Nah, he surely didn't throw the fight. we had a Brazilian exchange student (who my dad encouraged to have wrestle for us in high school, and he did well, lol) who I was feeding shit to about the fight via facebook and while he was disgusted in how Silva performed, he was convinced he didn't throw the fight. He thought Weidman did a better job of playing/defending Silva's game on their feet than Silva did playing Weidman's game on the ground. Said it was obvious to him that he didn't throw it by how defensive/efficient he was at stopping Weidman's takedown attempt in the 2nd round.

There are some bad ass motor scooters entering the MMA world right now and some dudes who were previously known as invincible (Anderson Silva) are going to show the world that they are very, very mortal. My interest in MMA/UFC is officially re-sparked...I'm excited to watch this shit again.

And Weidman is not going to be to UFC, what Buster Douglas was to boxing. I can't wait to witness the accolades this man is going to continue to compile. He IS legit and if he is able to prove himself as being capable of competing for 5 rounds without becoming gassed (his conditioning appeared VERY questionable vs. Maia...claimed weight-cutting was a factor), then he will for sure, continue to generate some huge wins.

Speaking of Buster Douglas, I don't want to totally discredit him either. I have that fight on DVD and have watched Tyson vs. Douglas probably 50 times. Douglas fought...his...ass....off vs. Tyson in that match and showed tons of skill and tons of heart. He was a better fighter than Tyson IN THAT PARTICULAR MATCH. I don't know why he was unable to produce since that match...Holyfield made him look like a little bitch, but vs. Tyson he was money. I think he had a chip on his shoulder vs. Tyson because of the over-whelming doubt against him combined with the fact that he had just lost his beloved mother 23 days before the fight took place....probably fueled him a bit.

WhiteWhale 07-08-2013 06:09 AM

I know that taunting and show boating is part of Silva's game, but it seemed a bit much. He's always going to showboat, but he doesn't usually start doing things like hitting himself after being punched. I mean he spent as much time taunting as fighting. IMO, he badly underestimated Weidman thinking he was another Griffin or Bonner. Weidman is legit.

Nothing lucky about that punch. He tossed that flicker jab and got him moving right into his left hook. Just excellent striking.

There's a lot of talk about Silva throwing the fight, and that's understandable when you get blasted off of your feet while mocking the guy in front of you. I doubt it though. I think he simply underestimated Weidman though. The guy has been untouchable for so long. I"d love to see them fight again.

BigCatDaddy 07-08-2013 06:40 AM

If you think Silva wanted to lose please stop watching mma. That is beyond stupid.

Sorter 07-08-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9798054)
If you think Silva wanted to lose please stop watching mma. That is beyond stupid.

Yup.

stevieray 07-08-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9797926)

yup

rico 07-08-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9798074)
Yup.

Who is that in your avatar?

mcaj22 07-08-2013 07:59 AM

why would Dana be pissed off at Silva? Dana is swimming in a pool of money thanks to all the people that bought in to see Silva do what he did and are now still talking about it around the water cooler during the work week.

Pissed off? If anything he should be kissing his feet.

The title reign was going to end sooner or later and Dana was going to cash in on it and an unknown fighter was going to easily use it to to get his name over. Now Dana has a new young fighter to market while Silva is in the twlight/end of career. This run has been going on since like 2006 and they road this cash cow wave for as long as they could in the sport.