ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Who is the greatest rapper of all time.. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279631)

NewChief 12-19-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10293394)
I want a fan at first, but it grew quickly.

It's technically good. I just dislike what he's rapping about these days, I guess (which is really what he's been rapping about forever, but it feels weird coming from a 40 year old rich white dude).

blaise 12-19-2013 11:05 AM

It's kind of an unsatisfying discussion when it comes up, in my opinion. A lot of people end up saying Jay Z because of his body of work even though he never seems to be anyone's favorite MC in terms of mic skills.
Then you have guys like KRS One and Rakim whose body of work isn't as big as JayZ's but when they're at their best they're better than he is.
Same thing with PMD. His best is better than Jay Z in my opinion, but a pretty small body of good work.
I think Biggie is my favorite just in terms of mic skills. I don't think he's lyrically as strong as some others though.
My favorite rap act would probably be Tribe based on Low End Theory and Midnight Marauders. And of the two emcees I always preferred Phife.
My favorite album would probably be Paul's Boutique. There's hundreds of cool samples, clever lines and great songs. I once read Rakim say that he could make 5 albums from Paul's Boutique samples. You couldn't even make that album anymore with all the stuff they used, via the Dust Brothers.

Mav 12-19-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10293400)
It's technically good. I just dislike what he's rapping about these days, I guess (which is really what he's been rapping about forever, but it feels weird coming from a 40 year old rich white dude).

Understood. I just thought the lyrical way he put this one together, especially the flow of Love Game with Kendrick Lamar, was outstanding.

I had to find the lyrics, read along, and still couldn't keep up with it.

Mav 12-19-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 10293451)
It's kind of an unsatisfying discussion when it comes up, in my opinion. A lot of people end up saying Jay Z because of his body of work even though he never seems to be anyone's favorite MC in terms of mic skills.
Then you have guys like KRS One and Rakim whose body of work isn't as big as JayZ's but when they're at their best they're better than he is.
Same thing with PMD. His best is better than Jay Z in my opinion, but a pretty small body of good work.
I think Biggie is my favorite just in terms of mic skills. I don't think he's lyrically as strong as some others though.
My favorite rap act would probably be Tribe based on Low End Theory and Midnight Marauders. And of the two emcees I always preferred Phife.
My favorite album would probably be Paul's Boutique. There's hundreds of cool samples, clever lines and great songs. I once read Rakim say that he could make 5 albums from Paul's Boutique samples. You couldn't even make that album anymore with all the stuff they used, via the Dust Brothers.

Jay z to me, died when he said in a song that he basically had to tone down his lyrics, and his album sales, soared. If that isn't what selling out is, then I don't know what is.

As for favorite Albums.

All eyez on me by Tupac is the greatest for me.

KC native 12-19-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10293188)
Dr Dre wasn't even the second best rapper in his crew. W/ regards to producing, sure. But not as a lyricist.

Industry dirty secret here. Dr Dre hasn't really produced a lot of his hit songs.

He gets submissions from his team. He will tweak them a little, get big name rappers on the track and then take all of the credit.

Al Bundy 12-19-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Dr Dre wasn't even the second best rapper in his crew. W/ regards to producing, sure. But not as a lyricist.

The best one out of that whole bunch was The D.O.C.

Idahojim 12-19-2013 07:42 PM

Greatest rapper?

An oxymoron.

ThaVirus 12-19-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Out of the big three from N.W.A I'd probably say:

1. Ice Cube
2. Dr. Dre
3. Eazy-E

ThaVirus 12-19-2013 07:52 PM

The D.O.C was the shit too. Loved that No One Can Do It Better album. "The Formula" was my jam.

Ebolapox 12-19-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10295337)
Out of the big three from N.W.A I'd probably say:

1. Ice Cube
2. Dr. Dre
3. Eazy-E

everyone ALWAYS undersells MC goddamned Ren

TimBone 12-19-2013 08:43 PM

I'm not going to rank guys by number, but I will throw a few thoughts out there. Early Nas was ****ing sick. He has to be in the conversation.

Eminem is super talented and his flow is top notch.

Ice Cube was great when he was with N.W.A. and the first few years after he left.

Krayzie Bone from Bone Thugs -n- Harmony may be the most underrated rapper of all time. The dude can hang with anybody on any track but gets no mention in these types of conversations.

Tech N9ne is unbelieveable at times. Super underrated.

Biggie may be the best ever. It's tragic that we only got two full albums from the dude. Storytelling, rhymes, flow....he had it all.

Pac....I'm not a big fan of Pac, but I understand why other folks dig him.

Jay-Z is great, and in the top ten ad far as rappers, but I think mostly he's an example of how to market and sell yourself.

Andre 3000 - Just wow. This dude shines like no other. He makes very little music that I don't enjoy. Very talented and smart.

Lil Wayne......most overrated rapper ever. Just terrible. He was fine when he was young and a member of the Hot Boyz, but as a solo rapper he shouldn't be taken seriously.

TimBone 12-19-2013 08:44 PM

Eminems new album has been a disappointment, btw. It's decent, but he screwed up by naming it MMLP2.

Al Bundy 12-19-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebolapox (Post 10295408)

MC Ren's first solo record was dope as ****.

ThaVirus 12-19-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebolapox (Post 10295408)

I liked the sound of his voice, no homo.

TimBone 12-19-2013 09:09 PM

I can dig MC Ren.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/f5O2L54i0gE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>