ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   ChiefsPlanet Ad Blockers (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=286412)

AustinChief 01-06-2015 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 11248737)
Netscape?!?!

Did you time travel back to 1996?

HA! oops, meant Firefox. Or as I call it, Foxface.

http://www.hrwiki.org/w/images/thumb...ion_Figure.PNG

Rock, Rock On!

listopencil 01-07-2015 08:36 PM

I just installed AdBlock Plus and the redirects stopped completely.

AustinChief 01-07-2015 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 11250563)
I just installed AdBlock Plus and the redirects stopped completely.

Of course so does all site revenue to pay for the server. :( (since this started we are down 50%)

I'm blocking the ads as I find them, unfortunately the issue is on Google's end and they haven't done crap to fix it yet.

Another day or two and I should have them weeded out. And hopefully Google will get off its ass and fix the hole in their code.

listopencil 01-07-2015 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 11250577)
Of course so does all site revenue to pay for the server. :( (since this started we are down 50%)

I'm blocking the ads as I find them, unfortunately the issue is on Google's end and they haven't done crap to fix it yet.

Another day or two and I should have them weeded out. And hopefully Google will get off its ass and fix the hole in their code.

I don't know what's going on but it has gotten worse in the last few days. I turned ADP off and now I get an attempted redirect on every refresh or anytime I change from one page top another. FireFox is disallowing the majority of it. I checked the box for "Warn me when websites try to redirect or reload the page" in Options/Advanced/General. For the most part I get a bar on the top of the page that tells me a redirect was prevented. I did have 2 or 3 redirects succeed within the last half hour or forty five minutes.

listopencil 01-07-2015 09:02 PM

But at least the ads are still showing down at the bottom of the page. They really are not obtrusive enough to warrant ABP.

AustinChief 01-07-2015 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 11250609)
I don't know what's going on but it has gotten worse in the last few days. I turned ADP off and now I get an attempted redirect on every refresh or anytime I change from one page top another. FireFox is disallowing the majority of it. I checked the box for "Warn me when websites try to redirect or reload the page" in Options/Advanced/General. For the most part I get a bar on the top of the page that tells me a redirect was prevented. I did have 2 or 3 redirects succeed within the last half hour or forty five minutes.

It's strange because I have never seen one but then again adsense keys off each user individually. So Google has decided to serve you the ads that are causing the issues while it has decided to show me ads for trips to Vegas (what i am seeing right now).

Do you have another browser you don't use normally? If so, you can empty out all cookies on that browser and see if the frequency stays the same. It shouldn't unless the ads are targeting certain IP based on geography. (which would be very odd indeed)

AustinChief 01-07-2015 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 11250613)
But at least the ads are still showing down at the bottom of the page. They really are not obtrusive enough to warrant ABP.

Wait? You have ABP turned on and the ads at the bottom are still showing? Ok that is bizarre. Well, that's good news for the site.

listopencil 01-07-2015 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 11250621)
Wait? You have ABP turned on and the ads at the bottom are still showing? Ok that is bizarre. Well, that's good news for the site.

I turned it back off. The "disable ad blocker" message is about the same size and the same delay as the "FireFox prevented this page from automatically redirecting to another page" message.

listopencil 01-07-2015 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 11250618)
It's strange because I have never seen one but then again adsense keys off each user individually. So Google has decided to serve you the ads that are causing the issues while it has decided to show me ads for trips to Vegas (what i am seeing right now).

Do you have another browser you don't use normally? If so, you can empty out all cookies on that browser and see if the frequency stays the same. It shouldn't unless the ads are targeting certain IP based on geography. (which would be very odd indeed)

I have FF, Chrome, Safari, Opera and IE installed. I can dick around with those and see what happens.

listopencil 01-07-2015 09:11 PM

Not seeing the redirect in IE, ads displaying as normal, no ad blocker.

listopencil 01-07-2015 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 11250640)
Not seeing the redirect in IE, ads displaying as normal, no ad blocker.

Same thing for Opera.

listopencil 01-07-2015 09:17 PM

Safari is blocking ads with no ad blocker running. Could be a setting in the browser. I barely use it. Not seeing the redirect in Safari, ads not displaying, no ad blocker (that I know of), seeing your "ad blocker" message at the top.

listopencil 01-07-2015 09:18 PM

Not seeing the redirect in Chrome, ads displaying as normal, no ad blocker.

listopencil 01-07-2015 09:19 PM

So FireFox, which is what I almost exclusively use for this site, is the only browser that redirects for me.

AustinChief 01-07-2015 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 11250644)
Same thing for Opera.

Cool that makes sense. It looks like it is keying off cookies in your one browser. Just like if you search on "Goat Pr0n" you should get ads for animal husbandry sites... these ads have been keyed to something you searched on or went to. That explains why some people are getting killed by these lately and others have no clue what you guys are talking about.

I actually was able to replicate the problem myself by previewing the ads in our Adsense control panel(which is on Google's site). That's how I knew it was completely unrelated to CP itself. The bitch is that when I find a bad ad using that method, I have to click the block button SUPER FAST or the damn thing redirects me out of Adsense before I can. Slowly but surely I am getting them all, obviously the one that is killing you hasn't been found yet.