ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Mad Men (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=231096)

Baby Lee 05-04-2015 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11479804)
Last night's episode was well executed but this final season just hasn't been compelling for me.

Now, if Don jumps out his window during the finale, we may have something.

Otherwise, meh.

I liken it to High Noon, where you have a general idea where things might suss out, and the story is in the execution and the inevitability of it all.

mikeyis4dcats. 05-06-2015 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11479804)
Last night's episode was well executed but this final season just hasn't been compelling for me.

Now, if Don jumps out his window during the finale, we may have something.

Otherwise, meh.

as if that wouldn't be trite and predicatable. I mean, that's what people have said from the beginning. No way it goes down like that.

DaneMcCloud 05-06-2015 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 11482346)
as if that wouldn't be trite and predicatable. I mean, that's what people have said from the beginning. No way it goes down like that.

I hope you're right

Red Brooklyn 05-06-2015 09:56 AM

I guess, how much to do you trust/believe Matt Weiner? Because he's said 100% it ain't gonna happen.

DJ's left nut 05-06-2015 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11482558)
I hope you're right

I actually really like the direction they're going and I'd be stunned if Don jumped from any tall buildings.

Ultimately I think the closest we'll get to a resolution is Don starting over in California. He may never set foot in the McCann building again.

He's a damaged dude. I just don't see him as a suicidal one. Someday he'll drink himself to death but I think his arrogance would keep him from ever committing suicide. As unhappy as he may be, he's self-assured enough to convince himself that he'll turn it around.

Sadly, if anyone goes out the window, it may be Roger. But I think Roger's probably content being lecherous and rich, even if the death of his name creates a dark period for him. It does seem like a pretty lousy new world for the old guard at SCP.

Baby Lee 05-06-2015 10:15 AM

https://twitter.com/hashtag/MadMenMcCann?src=hash

DaneMcCloud 05-06-2015 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11482576)
I actually really like the direction they're going and I'd be stunned if Don jumped from any tall buildings.

I don't think so, either. The opening sequence has always been a metaphor about Dick/Don's life, IMO. But as I had mentioned in an earlier post, I'm not sure if Don looking out the window was Weiner teasing us or if it was foreshadowing.

I expect Don's fate to be open ended and unresolved because IMO, the only true resolution for him is death. He is who he is and he'll be that way until the day he dies.

Plus, an unresolved ending is a very "David Chase" thing to do.

mikeyis4dcats. 05-06-2015 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11482576)

Ultimately I think the closest we'll get to a resolution is Don starting over in California. He may never set foot in the McCann building again.

He's a damaged dude. I just don't see him as a suicidal one. Someday he'll drink himself to death but I think his arrogance would keep him from ever committing suicide. As unhappy as he may be, he's self-assured enough to convince himself that he'll turn it around.

Sadly, if anyone goes out the window, it may be Roger. But I think Roger's probably content being lecherous and rich, even if the death of his name creates a dark period for him. It does seem like a pretty lousy new world for the old guard at SCP.

I really expected that Roger would keel over the organ the other night while Peggy was roller skating around him.

Baby Lee 05-06-2015 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 11482605)
I really expected that Roger would keel over the organ the other night while Peggy was roller skating around him.

He has a heart condition!!

mikeyis4dcats. 05-06-2015 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11482611)
He has a heart condition!!

part of why I thought it was gonna happen. The boozing, smoking, and then that exclamation.

NewChief 05-06-2015 01:10 PM

So is there 1 more episode left?

mikeyis4dcats. 05-06-2015 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11483016)
So is there 1 more episode left?

BigRedChief 05-06-2015 01:33 PM

Like most here, feels like an epilogue. Should have ended with McCann buying them and the soft shoe.

But, I'm use to shows not giving their fans the endings they want.

Red Brooklyn 05-06-2015 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11483075)
Like most here, feels like an epilogue. Should have ended with McCann buying them and the soft shoe.

But, I'm use to shows not giving their fans the endings they want.

What ending do you want? What you said above? Is that really your absolute ideal ending for this show?

DaneMcCloud 05-06-2015 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 11483089)
What ending do you want? What you said above? Is that really your absolute ideal ending for this show?

I can't think of a single dramatic program that has ended with a resolution that's made me happy. Whether it was The Soprano's or LOST (which I hate to this day) or even Breaking Bad (I still think Walter's a alive), nothing ends well.

The worst (or maybe the best?) was Six Feet Under. Nate dies and the final episode feels like an epilogue, describing how each character lived and died, beyond the show.

But in terms of your question, I'd have rather seen it end with Bert's soft shoe than what's happened this season. Everything has been one gigantic "Duh" of a let down for me.

Baby Lee 05-06-2015 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11483110)
I can't think of a single dramatic program that has ended with a resolution that's made me happy. Whether it was The Soprano's or LOST (which I hate to this day) or even Breaking Bad (I still think Walter's a alive), nothing ends well.

The worst (or maybe the best?) was Six Feet Under. Nate dies and the final episode feels like an epilogue, describing how each character lived and died, beyond the show.

But in terms of your question, I'd have rather seen it end with Bert's soft shoe than what's happened this season. Everything has been one gigantic "Duh" of a let down for me.

6FU was a great final 6 minutes.

But as for a great ending in terms of culminating over the course of a season in a comfortable and satisfying place, too bad you missed Justified. It really [re]set the bar.

Its small coterie of fans were already high on the series, but how it came to a close has them thinking it might be among the best series in TV history.

DaneMcCloud 05-06-2015 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11483133)
6FU was a great final 6 minutes.

But as for a great ending in terms of culminating over the course of a season in a comfortable and satisfying place, too bad you missed Justified. It really [re]set the bar.

Its small coterie of fans were already high on the series, but how it came to a close has them thinking it might be among the best series in TV history.

I'll get to Justified this year for sure. I've seen the first three seasons and will catch up after Fright Night Lights, which I just started last night, although that it's for research more than the show itself.

Red Brooklyn 05-06-2015 02:50 PM

Endings are difficult. Especially for shows with rabid fans.

We, as a TV watching culture, put way too much stock into them.

NewChief 05-06-2015 03:05 PM

Look who is in Bentonville, AR for the Bentonville Film Fest (to support her movie Fan Girl, which is being screened here).

https://scontent-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...53&oe=55D20947

Note: guy in picture is not me. Just a dude I know in the area.

DaneMcCloud 05-06-2015 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 11483367)
Endings are difficult. Especially for shows with rabid fans.

We, as a TV watching culture, put way too much stock into them.

I'm sorry but I could not disagree more.

The very first, and I mean THE VERY FIRST thing that ANY Film/TV screenwriter should create/present is the beginning and ending for each every character, especially the main characters.

Now, that said, I had a highly successful TV and film screenwriter/producer over all day Saturday for a hang and he said, and I quote "I've often found that the TV or film will 'speak to me'. The show knows where to go, especially after characters have been established. But that doesn't mean that I should betray the original fate for characters because it's veered off course a bit".

Damon Lindeloff and Carlton Cuse finally revealed publicly that they had no idea where they were going with LOST. I think David Chase just gave the fans and HBO a big giant "**** You" with the ending of The Sopranos.

Obviously, Chuck Lorre wouldn't have killed Charlie Sheen had their relationship not become so incredibly volatile. And while Chuck is known to be the biggest asshole dickhead in town, no one cares because he's the most successful Show Runner/Producer/Writer in TV history and can sit down and write an amazing Act in 2 hours, where it takes a room of 10 writers a week to write three acts.

The bottom line is that the viewers deserve a satisfying ending.

Discuss Thrower 05-06-2015 03:30 PM

Maybe we missed something.... :hmmm:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xb9CM9Ffxzk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DJ's left nut 05-06-2015 03:32 PM

How I Met Your Mother had an ending in mind when the series began. They even filmed part of it so the children wouldn't have aged.

And by the time that series wrapped up, that ending was awful. Didn't matter - Bays and Thomas stuck with their original ending and as far as I was concerned, made the entire show difficult to watch in re-runs.

Having the ending figured out in advance can be a really bad thing if you're unwilling to veer away from it.

DaneMcCloud 05-06-2015 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11483565)
How I Met Your Mother had an ending in mind when the series began. They even filmed part of it so the children wouldn't have aged.

And by the time that series wrapped up, that ending was awful. Didn't matter - Bays and Thomas stuck with their original ending and as far as I was concerned, made the entire show difficult to watch in re-runs.

Having the ending figured out in advance can be a really bad thing if you're unwilling to veer away from it.

It's only a bad ending because they continually said that Robin wasn't the Mother. The writers screwed themselves. It's the same reason why LOST was so ****ing awful the final season. They lied. To everyone.

That's the reason why the Friends finale works: At no point did Ross & Rachel EVER say they wouldn't end up together, nor did the writers ever emphasize that point.

Red Brooklyn 05-06-2015 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11483494)

The very first, and I mean THE VERY FIRST thing that ANY Film/TV screenwriter should create/present is the beginning and ending for each every character, especially the main characters.

Now, that said, I had a highly successful TV and film screenwriter/producer over all day Saturday for a hang and he said, and I quote "I've often found that the TV or film will 'speak to me'. The show knows where to go, especially after characters have been established. But that doesn't mean that I should betray the original fate for characters because it's veered off course a bit".

Damon Lindeloff and Carlton Cuse finally revealed publicly that they had no idea where they were going with LOST. I think David Chase just gave the fans and HBO a big giant "**** You" with the ending of The Sopranos.

Obviously, Chuck Lorre wouldn't have killed Charlie Sheen had their relationship not become so incredibly volatile. And while Chuck is known to be the biggest asshole dickhead in town, no one cares because he's the most successful Show Runner/Producer/Writer in TV history and can sit down and write an amazing Act in 2 hours, where it takes a room of 10 writers a week to write three acts.

Right, but you're not a writer. So it makes sense that you feel that way. I'll just respectfully disagree.

And I don't really care whether or not Lindelof/Cuse knew where they were going. Either way I enjoyed it. But we don't need to rehash all of that again and again and again.

I would like to request a link that shows they "finally revealed publicly that they had no idea where they were going," though. If you have one handy.

Discuss Thrower 05-06-2015 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11483565)

HIMYM's ending while infuriating, at least made sense from the point that Bays and Thomas alluded to it for the entirety of the show through allusions to Bertold Brecht and "Love in the Time of Cholera." They just didn't show their hand until the episode where Ted imagines the conversation between himself, himself from the future, Barney and Barney from the future.

Really, what ****ed up HIMYM was the fact that it shouldn't have gone beyond the seventh season.

DaneMcCloud 05-06-2015 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 11483571)
Right, but you're not a writer. So it makes sense that you feel that way. I'll just respectfully disagree.

And I don't really care whether or not Lindelof/Cuse knew where they were going. Either way I enjoyed it. But we don't need to rehash all of that again and again and again.

I would like to request a link that shows they "finally revealed publicly that they had no idea where they were going," though. If you have one handy.

Actually, I AM a "writer" and narrative is extremely important to my work.

DJ's left nut 05-06-2015 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11483570)
It's only a bad ending because they continually said that Robin wasn't the Mother. The writers screwed themselves.

That's the reason why the Friends finale works: At no point did Ross & Rachel EVER say they wouldn't end up together, nor did the writers ever emphasize that point.

It was a bad ending because they spent the last 2+ seasons getting viewers invested in the whole Barney/Robin thing and the last season getting them to really like the mother. They did a lot to show why Ted/Robin weren't a good fit for each other and frankly I'm convinced they aren't.

Then they !@#$ing killed the mother and divorced Barney/Robin in 10 minutes to absolutely shove that stupid damn Ted/Robin thing down our throats.

There were a lot of reasons why that ending didn't work and because of that, just friggen scrap it. It was a fine concept but over the 7 seasons that followed, you have to be willing to be open to the fact that your original ending just isn't going to work now.

Red Brooklyn 05-06-2015 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11483581)
Actually, I AM a "writer" and narrative is extremely important to my work.

My apologies, then. I just assumed from context clues in some of your other posts that you weren't -- or at least, not a write of narrative fiction.

We just have totally different views on this point of process, then.

DaneMcCloud 05-06-2015 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 11483590)
My apologies, then. I just assumed from context clues in some of your other posts that you weren't -- or at least, not a write of narrative fiction.

We just have totally different views on this point of process, then.

I'm a film & TV composer, so narrative is especially important to my process.

DaneMcCloud 05-06-2015 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11483588)
It was a bad ending because they spent the last 2+ seasons getting viewers invested in the whole Barney/Robin thing and the last season getting them to really like the mother. They did a lot to show why Ted/Robin weren't a good fit for each other and frankly I'm convinced they aren't.

Then they !@#$ing killed the mother and divorced Barney/Robin in 10 minutes to absolutely shove that stupid damn Ted/Robin thing down our throats.

There were a lot of reasons why that ending didn't work and because of that, just friggen scrap it. It was a fine concept but over the 7 seasons that followed, you have to be willing to be open to the fact that your original ending just isn't going to work now.

They wrote themselves into a corner and it was their fault. They could have written a more appropriate final season and ending because the show took them to places they didn't expect to go initially. Looking back, they went way off the tracks and had they not continued to shove the Ted/Robin thing down the viewers throats, could have had a much better ending.

Overall, it was just dumb on their part. Plus, the show became nearly unwatchable, if not completely unwatchable, around 2011 for me. I only tuned into occasionally and for the extremely disappointing finale.

But hey, Seinfeld's one of the greatest sitcoms of all time and it's hard to name a worse finale. Larry David acknowledged as much during a season of Curb in which he did an addendum to it.

Red Brooklyn 05-06-2015 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11483598)
I'm a film & TV composer, so narrative is especially important to my process.

Ah! So you don't write scripts! I was sorta right!

I get where you're coming from. I think as a culture we're way too fascinated with destinations over journeys. It's not just film and TV, but literature as well.

Why do we give so much weight to the final third or episode or two minutes of something when there has been so much more before it to celebrate?

I'm a big fan of beginnings and unfoldings. Rarely has an ending made or ruined a script/book/film/show for me.

DaneMcCloud 05-06-2015 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 11483609)
Ah! So you don't write scripts! I was sorta right!

:thumb:

Red Brooklyn 05-06-2015 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11483607)
They wrote themselves into a corner and it was their fault. They could have written a more appropriate final season and ending because the show took them to places they didn't expect to go initially. Looking back, they went way off the tracks and had they not continued to shove the Ted/Robin thing down the viewers throats, could have had a much better ending.

Overall, it was just dumb on their part. Plus, the show became nearly unwatchable, if not completely unwatchable, around 2011 for me. I only tuned into occasionally and for the extremely disappointing finale.

But hey, Seinfeld's one of the greatest sitcoms of all time and it's hard to name a worse finale. Larry David acknowledged as much during a season of Curb in which he did an addendum to it.

Agree about Seinfeld.

The other issue with HIMYM is the network structure though. Look, I get money money money! Of course. It makes all the sense in the world. But it plays against the artist process sometimes. Give show creators a finite number of episodes and give it to them early. Let them wrap up on their own terms. Especially with something like a LOST or a HIMYM that has a sprawling, overarching "mythology" or narrative gimmick.

DaneMcCloud 05-06-2015 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 11483609)
I'm a big fan of beginnings and unfoldings. Rarely has an ending made or ruined a script/book/film/show for me.

While I agree, I'd rather see an ending like that of The Office or even Six Feet Under, as opposed to The Soprano's, LOST, etc.

There should be a satisfying resolution for the viewer, IMO. That doesn't mean that it should or shouldn't be a topic of debate but that a character's journey has been resolved, as opposed to the vague or "open ended" finale of The Sopranos or Breaking Bad.

Red Brooklyn 05-06-2015 03:52 PM

Mad Men, frankly, is probably suffering, if it's suffering at all, from that same thing. Just to a smaller degree. Had Weiner been allowed to wrap up a season ago or two seasons ago the show would be a no-brainer best of all time show.

But AMC needed that money money. Again, I don't fault them for it, but I think it can hurt a creative product when that happens.

DaneMcCloud 05-06-2015 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 11483614)
Agree about Seinfeld.

The other issue with HIMYM is the network structure though. Look, I get money money money! Of course. It makes all the sense in the world. But it plays against the artist process sometimes. Give show creators a finite number of episodes and give it to them early. Let them wrap up on their own terms. Especially with something like a LOST or a HIMYM that has a sprawling, overarching "mythology" or narrative gimmick.

HIMYM's writers did a poor job of extending the shelf life of their program. They should have added more characters that would have extended the story's arc. New Girl has done a fine job of just that, replacing Damon Wayans, jr. when he couldn't get out of his ABC contract, bringing him back when he did, then just last night, after two seasons, seeing him leave again.

I realize that it's often difficult for show runners to balance commerce versus art but in the case of HIMYM, they betrayed themselves and the audience, IMO.

Red Brooklyn 05-06-2015 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11483621)
While I agree, I'd rather see an ending like that of The Office or even Six Feet Under, as opposed to The Soprano's, LOST, etc.

There should be a satisfying resolution for the viewer, IMO. That doesn't mean that it should or shouldn't be a topic of debate but that a character's journey has been resolved, as opposed to the vague or "open ended" finale of The Sopranos or Breaking Bad.

I don't disagree in general terms. But I think it's a case by case thing. An ending should feel satisfying. But it's also difficult satisfy everyone. I didn't love Breaking Bad's finale. But not because it was open ended. It seemed pretty open and shut to me. But you obviously found more wiggle room in it. Can't appease everyone. Plenty of people adore the BB finale.

Red Brooklyn 05-06-2015 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11483628)
HIMYM's writers did a poor job of extending the shelf life of their program. They should have added more characters that would have extended the story's arc. New Girl has done a fine job of just that, replacing Damon Wayans, jr. when he couldn't get out of his ABC contract, bringing him back when he did, then just last night, after two seasons, seeing him leave again.

I realize that it's often difficult for show runners to balance commerce versus art but in the case of HIMYM, they betrayed themselves and the audience, IMO.

Agreed about HIMYM. There were certainly things they could have done differently. And should have done. New Girl is wonderful. But the difference there is that I don't know that there's a long-game there. It can keep treading water because there isn't an answer waiting at the end. Like Friends which you mentioned earlier. Same thing. In fact, maybe a little too similar.

DaneMcCloud 05-06-2015 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 11483630)
I don't disagree in general terms. But I think it's a case by case thing. An ending should feel satisfying. But it's also difficult satisfy everyone. I didn't love Breaking Bad's finale. But not because it was open ended. It seemed pretty open and shut to me. But you obviously found more wiggle room in it. Can't appease everyone. Plenty of people adore the BB finale.

BB's finale was fine but it certainly left the door wide open.

Bryan Cranston has acknowledged as much in the past year, which lessens its impact for me.

And for the record, I didn't hate it or dislike it. It just gave me the feeling of "Well, this isn't really over", which pretty much defeats the purpose of a series finale.

Red Brooklyn 05-06-2015 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11483638)
BB's finale was fine but it certainly left the door wide open. Bryan Cranston has acknowledged as much in the past year, which lessens its impact for me.

Interesting. I mean, I feel like there's more story to tell in that world. Obviously, now we've got BCS. But Walter's story felt pretty definitely over. Cranston has more authority here than I do. OBVIOUSLY. LMAO

So, I'll defer to him. If he feels that way then there you go. But I don't see it.

DaneMcCloud 05-06-2015 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 11483635)
Agreed about HIMYM. There were certainly things they could have done differently. And should have done. New Girl is wonderful. But the difference there is that I don't know that there's a long-game there. It can keep treading water because there isn't an answer waiting at the end. Like Friends which you mentioned earlier. Same thing. In fact, maybe a little too similar.

It's what Friends would be had it been created in 2011.

Multi-racial, urban, quirky and somewhat predictable.

That's an instant recipe for success and why it's received the ratings and accolades over the years.

Red Brooklyn 05-06-2015 04:08 PM

This has been WAY more fun than talking about the ****ing Patriots.

Baby Lee 05-06-2015 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11483641)
It's what Friends would be had it been created in 2011.

Multi-racial, urban, quirky and somewhat predictable.

That's an instant recipe for success and why it's received the ratings and accolades over the years.

Ensemble sitcoms are much more a writer's vehicle nowadays. Sure it's about pretty, diverse, 20-somethings, but the structure is a coatrack for quips much more than in the days of Friends, which was more about situations, performances and catchphrases. I enjoy watching it, but there are so many instances of the episode revolving around a couple key opportunities for wordplay. This phenomenon got it's big break with all the things 'Sex Panther' smelled like in Anchorman, and just this last weekend, Last Week Tonight had a skit riffing on all the crap Bud Lite tastes like.

@2:50

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mxyGGKWGV70" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Red Brooklyn 05-06-2015 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11483657)
Ensemble sitcoms are much more a writer's vehicle nowadays. Sure it's about pretty, diverse, 20-somethings, but the structure is a coatrack for quips much more than in the days of Friends, which was more about situations, performances and catchphrases. I enjoy watching it, but there are so many instances of the episode revolving around a couple key opportunities for wordplay. This phenomenon got it's big break with all the things 'Sex Panther' smelled like in Anchorman, and just this last weekend, Last Week Tonight had a skit riffing on all the crap Bud Lite tastes like.

However -- and believe me I've logged more Friends and HIMYM hours in this life than I care to admit, like basically two to four hours a night for the better part of a decade -- Friends still holds up a bit better than HIMYM in terms of sexism, portrayal of women, etc. You would think HIMYM, being the younger brother learning from bigger siblings mistakes, would have improved in those terms.

Baby Lee 05-06-2015 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 11483663)
However -- and believe me I've logged more Friends and HIMYM hours in this life than I care to admit, like basically two to four hours a night for the better part of a decade -- Friends still holds up a bit better than HIMYM in terms of sexism, portrayal of women, etc. You would think HIMYM, being the younger brother learning from bigger siblings mistakes, would have improved in those terms.

I was more talking about New Girl, Mindy Project, Happy Endings, Weird Loners, etc., than HIMYM.

Red Brooklyn 05-06-2015 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11483679)
I was more talking about New Girl, Mindy Project, Happy Endings, Weird Loners, etc., than HIMYM.

Baby Lee 05-06-2015 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 11483689)

In my haste to make my clarification, I missed the tail end of your post.

Wonder what you think about the present day critiques of homophobia in Friends. First the whole 'is Chandler gay' thing, then the stuff with his dad the trans lounge singer.

I've noticed a lot of millennials getting snarky, but then that's the age we're in.

DaneMcCloud 05-06-2015 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11483699)
I've noticed a lot of millennials getting snarky, but then that's the age we're in.

I've noticed that "Millennials" haven't realized that society existed long before they were born into this world, and has evolved, thus I couldn't care less about their complaints.

Discuss Thrower 05-06-2015 04:47 PM

Never really cared for Friends. Part of that was because I was like 8 when it began and never got into it.

Seinfeld had some great moments, but even though I laughed there was always something that bothered me about the fact that I was laughing.

Frasier, on the other hand, that was a great NBC sitcom.

Baby Lee 05-06-2015 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 11483706)
Never really cared for Friends. Part of that was because I was like 8 when it began and never got into it.

Frasier, on the other hand, that was a great NBC sitcom.

Frasier is a very well written sitcom I totally took for granted. I know there are classic bits from it, but I'd be hard pressed to recall them [I know, I know, I know].

What is great, though, is to go on youtube and find out who all the celebs were who called into his show.

See how many you can guess without peeking

Of course, you know that Lisa Kudrow was the original Roz, right up to the first day of taping.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dNPrlVXeuEA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Red Brooklyn 05-06-2015 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11483699)
In my haste to make my clarification, I missed the tail end of your post.

Wonder what you think about the present day critiques of homophobia in Friends. First the whole 'is Chandler gay' thing, then the stuff with his dad the trans lounge singer.

Friends isn't flawless, for sure. But it feels far more progressive for its time than HIMYM does for its time in that regard.

Today, I'd prefer that an actual trans actor play Chandler's father. But the inclusion of a trans character at all was fairly forward thinking. Also, Friends is so damned white-washed. Living in the Village in the 90s/00s you'd think they'd encounter some greater ethnicity. Again, not flawless.

Red Brooklyn 05-06-2015 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11483705)
I've noticed that "Millennials" haven't realized that society existed long before they were born into this world, and has evolved, thus I couldn't care less about their complaints.

Slow clap

Discuss Thrower 05-06-2015 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11483710)
Frasier is a very well written sitcom I totally took for granted. I know there are classic bits from it, but I'd be hard pressed to recall them [I know, I know, I know].

I just think that was a quirk of the show in that it relied heavily on the same tropes of Frasier and Niles being up-their-own-ass intellectuals whose nature conflicted with Martin / Daphne / Ros' grounded and sensible personalities such that every episode had a same-y feel to it but it didn't detract from the quality.

Baby Lee 05-06-2015 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 11483712)
Friends is so damned white-washed. Living in the Village in the 90s/00s you'd think they'd encounter some greater ethnicity. Again, not flawless.

Aisha wasn't enough? ;)

Red Brooklyn 05-06-2015 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11483720)
Aisha wasn't enough? ;)

Heh! And Kristen Lang. :drool:

Baby Lee 05-06-2015 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 11483715)
I just think that was a quirk of the show in that it relied heavily on the same tropes of Frasier and Niles being up-their-own-ass intellectuals whose nature conflicted with Martin / Daphne / Ros' grounded and sensible personalities such that every episode had a same-y feel to it but it didn't detract from the quality.

I remember;

something about Fraiser catching a trashcan on fire
something about Niles ruining a dinner
the episodes starting off with witty radio banter
and, Bulldog being a staunch gay activist IRL.

that's about it.

Red Brooklyn 05-06-2015 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11483724)
I remember;

that's about it.

And something about scrambled eggs?

Baby Lee 05-06-2015 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 11483727)
And something about scrambled eggs?

Well of course I remember tidbits, but plotwise it's a big black hole.

Oh! I remember Lillith coming to visit a couple different times, making for classic episodes.

Speaking of Lillith, since we're discussing Frasier in the Mad Men thread. Johnny Mathis, meet Freddy Crane.

http://cdn.papermag.com/uploaded_ima...04.25%20PM.png

Discuss Thrower 05-06-2015 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11483724)
I remember;

that's about it.

The whole Daphne being engaged to that ... one guy.. which caused Niles some grief.

Constant jokes about Maris.

Parental humor concerning Frasier's relationship with Freddy.

Lilith's deadpan snark but also looking hot at some point and tempting Frasier (even though they didn't go through with anything.)

The episode where Frasier's past loves came to him as apparitions.

The episode where Frasier and Niles were trying to cover up what looked like a murder.(?)

A few bottle episodes concern Martin and his time on the police force / his relationship with his blue collar buddies.

I think Frasier got rid of / Martin's ugly ass recliner got torched and Frasier managed to find a duplicate -complete with the same wear-in patterns / damage.

New Years Eve in the Winnebago.

Red Brooklyn 05-06-2015 05:06 PM

I remember, much like Don Draper, Fraiser had a baller balcony w/ a view.

Red Brooklyn 05-06-2015 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11483733)
Well of course I remember tidbits, but plotwise it's a big black hole.

Oh! I remember Lillith coming to visit a couple different times, making for classic episodes.

Speaking of Lillith, since we're discussing Frasier in the Mad Men thread. Johnny Mathis, meet Freddy Crane.

http://cdn.papermag.com/uploaded_ima...04.25%20PM.png

wwhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Pitt Gorilla 05-06-2015 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11483494)

Yeah, Boyd should have died in season 1.

Pitt Gorilla 05-06-2015 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 11483578)
HIMYM's ending while infuriating, at least made sense from the point that Bays and Thomas alluded to it for the entirety of the show through allusions to Bertold Brecht and "Love in the Time of Cholera." They just didn't show their hand until the episode where Ted imagines the conversation between himself, himself from the future, Barney and Barney from the future.

Really, what ****ed up HIMYM was the fact that it shouldn't have gone beyond the seventh season.

the laugh track made it unwatchable, IMO.

Discuss Thrower 05-06-2015 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 11484291)

I'm conditioned enough that most laugh tracks don't bother me.. Just like getting used to seeing the network watermark in a corner of the screen.

Problem is they used the SAME laugh track for all 200+ episodes and it has someone have the most annoying ****ing laugh in the world on it.

Baby Lee 05-06-2015 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 11484291)

I've never been a laugh track fan, but the silences in the Yahoo season of Community is starting to freak me out. Don't know if they need a laugh track or just better scoring and ambient noise.

Pay attention to it, or not. Once it's noticed, cannot be unnoticed.

BigRedChief 05-06-2015 09:49 PM

I can't remember a finale I was happy with besides Mash.

I thought Breaking Bad was better than Seinfeld which was better than Lost.

DaneMcCloud 05-06-2015 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11484379)
I can't remember a finale I was happy with besides Mash.

Newhart is still the greatest of all time, IMO and I'm not sure there will ever be an equal finale.

Discuss Thrower 05-06-2015 10:48 PM

But seriously tho. Utopos.

BigRedChief 05-06-2015 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11484436)
Newhart is still the greatest of all time, IMO and I'm not sure there will ever be an equal finale.

Forgot about that.:thumb:

DaneMcCloud 05-06-2015 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11484453)
Forgot about that.:thumb:

Of course, you'd have to be of a certain vintage to understand its brilliance.

:D

Baby Lee 05-06-2015 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11484436)

Best finale, or best final scene?

DaneMcCloud 05-06-2015 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11484459)
Best finale, or best final scene?

Maybe the best final scene to a series, ever? Although as I pointed out earlier and you augmented, Six Feet Under had a great finale as well.

Lauren's character had a particularly poignant ending considering her journey during the series.

smith11 05-07-2015 12:29 AM

re terrible finales, the show st elsewhere had the ending reveal that the show was just a part of an autistic kids toy-dumb

Hammock Parties 05-07-2015 01:30 AM

So Joan turned out to be a literal whore.

Awesome.

Hammock Parties 05-07-2015 01:33 AM

Also Sally Draper is such a great little aspiring bitch. Just like her mother.

Baby Lee 05-07-2015 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1moreTRich (Post 11479081)
The gifs everyone wants:

EDITED to embeddable
https://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2...eggy.gif?w=650

That was sticking with me, and at first I thought it was its hints of Reservoir Dogs. Then in hit me.

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/kcafigisPbWy4" width="480" height="195" frameBorder="0" style="max-width: 100%" class="giphy-embed" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

eDave 05-07-2015 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11484712)
That was sticking with me, and at first I thought it was its hints of Reservoir Dogs. Then in hit me.

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/kcafigisPbWy4" width="480" height="195" frameBorder="0" style="max-width: 100%" class="giphy-embed" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

That makes no sense at all.

Baby Lee 05-07-2015 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 11485310)
That makes no sense at all.

I make no claim to meaning, but the visual similarity is undeniable.

Hammock Parties 05-07-2015 04:18 PM

Onto season 6!

http://i.imgur.com/1QLmu3N.jpg

Hammock Parties 05-09-2015 03:17 AM

I can't believe what a ****ing dick Don Draper is. Cheating on his second wife and then being a huge jerk because she has to do some fake kissing on a TV show.

YOU DICK!