ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs' offense: "one of the worst in the league, by nearly every measure" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276680)

BigCatDaddy 09-26-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 10022274)
What QB has been as good or better that has been traded for less?

It's similar value for what we have up for Green.

DJ's left nut 09-26-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 10022276)
Come on man, we are chipping away that the True Fan. We've gotten them to move off the Trent Green comparisons. Baby steps.

You're chipping away at a straw man.

Nothing more.

But keep patting yourself on the back.

DaneMcCloud 09-26-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 10022255)
Holy shit, did you really just say this?

Maybe I'm imagining things, but people who worship at the altar of mediocrity spent all summer saying that AS was their first choice, because "there was no one better".

People were more worried about getting the fans back to Arrowhead, and wanted to win now, instead of developing a guy for the future.

Now you have that guy, and you claim that he was NOBODY'S first choice?

Holy shit.

I meant in the grand scheme of things, not just this offseason.

You sure have an itchy trigger finger as of late, ready to jump anyone. What's up with that?

Who was the better choice this offseason, BTW?

Ace Gunner 09-26-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 10022270)
I feel like everybody needs to read Urban Myers comments/criticism of Alex Smith.

It really does explain a ton and coming from his college coach it carries a lot of weight with me.

Smith's not going to make those plays while running until he feels 100% comfortable in the offense. Sure, we'd like him to be there immediately, but you can see that he isn't. With SF - he got there. There's a reason the guy was able to complete 70% of his passes last season (and Kap is at 56% this year under the same 'guru').

He's not gonna hammer the accelerator if he can't see the apex and the exit to the corner. It's just not who he is.

But his history does suggest that he'll make those plays, just like Gannon, when he feels like he knows the offense. He's a poor-man's Manning; he doesn't want to 'feel' the offense, he wants to run it according to the script. He's the Anti-Favre.

and this is why QB's are referred as a "field general".

AS is just more meticulous about how each player fits into the game and he expects blockers to perform with success, to some degree.

I'd appreciate any links or quotes re your "Urban Meyer" comment.

Frosty 09-26-2013 03:09 PM

I don't see the Hasselbeck/Smith comparisons made earlier. If anything, Hass was too reckless throwing the ball downfield. He definitely wasn't a safe and conservative QB.

DeezNutz 09-26-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

But his history does suggest that he'll make those plays, just like Gannon, when he feels like he knows the offense. He's a poor-man's Manning; he doesn't want to 'feel' the offense, he wants to run it according to the script. He's the Anti-Favre.

We're patiently waiting to develop, in a sense, our 29-year-old QB.

I love change in KC.

This year is going to be fun because at least we'll see some wins and a playoff loss. No bullshit. It beats 2-14, and I don't think this team will ever bottom out again under Reid's watch because he's too damn good.

But man I'm tired of seeing middling shit at QB. The first 3 1/2 quarters in Philly were flat painful. One great throw changed the entire point of discussion for the night.

But at least we had that moment, so we cannot discredit it.

Hammock Parties 09-26-2013 03:10 PM

The Rich Gannon comparisons need to stop.

His first season in Oakland they were 8th in points and 5th in yards. We aren't close to that.

They were also sixth in net yards gained per pass attempt. Currently we're 27th.

Whee, ****ers.

Sorter 09-26-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10022289)
I meant in the grand scheme of things, not just this offseason.

You sure have an itchy trigger finger as of late, ready to jump anyone. What's up with that?

Who was the better choice this offseason, BTW?

Duh, Hoyer.

dirk digler 09-26-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10022272)
That is no guarantee that you're going to win deep in the playoffs. Seattle, Baltimore, Houston, the Giants, the Alex Smith niners, and now KC and Tennessee... these are teams that are doing really well playing more of an efficient game. The Steelers (pre-Arians) did as well.

So much attention is paid to this electric passing game. But the fact is that efficient teams have been just as successful in the playoffs of late as explosive offenses. I brought up before that apart from one Super Bowl run, both Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees have a really lousy playoff win-loss record.

You make a good point but I would add you have to be able to move the ball in chunks at various times and you have to put up points. I just don't believe dinking and dunking down the field isn't going to cut it in the NFL anymore.

BigCatDaddy 09-26-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 10022285)
You're chipping away at a straw man.

Nothing more.

But keep patting yourself on the back.

No, sadly these strawman are alive and well strolling down the red and gold brick road of CP.

Sorter 09-26-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead (Post 10022293)

His first season in Oakland they were 8th in points and 5th in yards. We aren't close to that.

They were also sixth in net yards gained per pass attempt. Currently we're 27th.

Whee, ****ers.

Sun 9/12
@ GB
L 24-28 16 31 227 51.6 7.32 43 0 1 62.2 1 6 6.0 6 0
Sun 9/19
@ MIN
W 22-17 21 33 248 63.6 7.52 35 1 0 96.5 5 48 9.6 20 1
Sun 9/26
vs CHI
W 24-17 26 35 295 74.3 8.43 20 2 0 118.2

I don't see there being a large discrepancy in Alex and Rich's stats through their first 3 games, sans Rich's win vs. Chicago.

whoman69 09-26-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Smith's not going to make those plays while running until he feels 100% comfortable in the offense. ...

He's not gonna hammer the accelerator if he can't see the apex and the exit to the corner. It's just not who he is.

Manning would be in that swing after one game because he would study the system until he knew it inside and out. If you're making that excuse for Smith, then I have to question his preparation.

OnTheWarpath15 09-26-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

That is no guarantee that you're going to win deep in the playoffs. Seattle, Baltimore, Houston, the Giants, the Alex Smith niners, and now KC and Tennessee... these are teams that are doing really well playing more of an efficient game. The Steelers (pre-Arians) did as well.

So much attention is paid to this electric passing game. But the fact is that efficient teams have been just as successful in the playoffs of late as explosive offenses. I brought up before that apart from one Super Bowl run, both Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees have a really lousy playoff win-loss record.

Yeah, that tends to happen when you have to score 40 to win.

Christ, the Saints gave up 30+ points to an Alex Smith offense.

OnTheWarpath15 09-26-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 10022292)

I love change in KC.

This year is going to be fun because at least we'll see some wins and a playoff loss. No bullshit. It beats 2-14, and I don't think this team will ever bottom out again under Reid's watch because he's too damn good.

But man I'm tired of seeing middling shit at QB. The first 3 1/2 quarters in Philly were flat painful. One great throw changed the entire point of discussion for the night.

Rep.

Jakemall 09-26-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 10020473)
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/9...chiefs-offense

some numbers to chew on from arrowhead pride

There's a nice breakdown of our defense against philly over there as well:
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/9/2...p-kelly-eagles

Wonder how many people read the commentary after the article...

Burden of Persuasion

The writer of the post has the burden of persuasion, as s/he does for any argument. Even factually accurate statistics can be misleading when (a) a small sample size is used, (b) end-points are carefully selected, or © they are taken out of context. But when such white-lie dishonesty still doesn’t make the point the writer wants to make, to resort to subtracting points from the Chiefs’ offense while not subtracting it from any other team’s numbers, and then comparing the modified Chiefs to the unmodified others, that’s a dishonesty of the bald-faced variety.

It was the poster’s lie, not mine. Catching the lie and holding the poster accountable for telling it advances the discussion enough to be useful; the burden isn’t on me (or any of the other several readers who caught the lie) to also go back through the numbers to tell the actual truth. To require one of us to do so would be to require us to accept the poster’s premise, which I don’t. When the defense scores points, the offense doesn’t have to, and the coaches game plan (more conservatively) accordingly. So rather than comparing teams on a dishonest measure of a relatively unimportant stat, I’m more more interested in comparing teams based on advanced stats like ToP/dr. ToP/dr is basically a measure of how successful the Chiefs’ offense was in each of the game contexts it found itself in. And in that stat, they are in the top half, and nearly the top third. This is also why Football Outsiders advanced stats rank the Chiefs’ offense in the top half of the league.

by johnbenjaminmoore on Sep 26, 2013 | 8:58 AM⬆up↩reply

Bearcat 09-26-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Baltimore scored 31ppg in the playoffs last year... Flacco threw for 11 yards in 4 games with a 9ypa and 117 rating. Seattle lost last year despite throwing for 385 yards and scoring 28 points. Houston lost their playoff game 41-28 last year. The 2011 Giants scored 25.5pgg in the postseason, and Manning threw for over 1200 yards in 4 games. The 49ers last year gave up 31 points in two of their games and in 2011 had to beat the Saints 36-32 on Smith's 300 yards/3TDs (and Brees threw for 460 that game, but didn't have 140 yards rushing to back it up like the 49ers did).

There are almost no guarantees in anything, so it's pointless to even say... the overwhelming trend is that you need elite QB play to win deep in the playoffs, which can only be overcome by elite play at several other positions, such an entire defense.

DeezNutz 09-26-2013 03:30 PM

Random comment: cannot believe that there isn't a Justin Houston thread on page one.

Damn that mother****er is beasting.

FRCDFED 09-26-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10022257)
This thread has just killed my entire afternoon.

**** you all.

Assholes.

ROFL

lcarus 09-26-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead (Post 10022293)

Whee, ****ers.

So good I just wanted to use it again somewhere. It doesn't really fit but whatever.

http://theaterofmine.files.wordpress...iser-hooks.jpg

teehee

Beef Supreme 09-26-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 10022292)

I love change in KC.

Agreed, other than the one great throw part. It was a good throw, and damned timely, but one that good NFL QBs make 10 or 15 times a game. It wouldn't even make the highlight reel for a lot of QBs in the league.

Hammock Parties 09-26-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 10022349)
Agreed, other than the one great throw part. It was a good throw, and damned timely, but one that good NFL QBs make 10 or 15 times a game. It wouldn't even make the highlight reel for a lot of QBs in the league.

I want my QB making a throw like that every drive to be perfectly honest.

DeezNutz 09-26-2013 03:44 PM

From a physical standpoint, there wasn't anything unbelievable about that throw.

However, considering that Smith had been shit all night, the field position was terrible, and all of the momentum was starting to turn against the Chiefs, that was a gutty ****ing moment.

Look, Smith is still remarkably mediocre; this isn't anything new. But that throw was high-quality.

Pablo 09-26-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 10022360)
From a physical standpoint, there wasn't anything unbelievable about that throw.

However, considering that Smith had been shit all night, the field position was terrible, and all of the momentum was starting to turn against the Chiefs, that was a gutty ****ing moment.

Look, Smith is still remarkably mediocre; this isn't anything new. But that throw was high-quality.

Agreed.

T-post Tom 09-26-2013 04:00 PM

The only stat that matters right now is 3-0. The RT & TE positions need to pick it up. If that happens, Smith & the offense will improve the other stats. Would not be surpised to see Fisher moved to Guard if he doesn't pick it up this next game or two. Not necessarily my recommendation, but I can see it happening.

DaneMcCloud 09-26-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 10021962)
This place will be lively when the defense comes back down to earth and opposing teams stop shitting their pants.

Back to earth? Dude, this defense is only going to improve.

DaneMcCloud 09-26-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-post Tom (Post 10022393)
The only stat that matters right now is 3-0. The RT & TE positions need to pick it up. If that happens, Smith & the offense will improve the other stats. Would not be surpised to see Fisher moved to Guard if he doesn't pick it up this next game or two. Not necessarily my recommendation, but I can see it happening.

Guard? He plays too high at tackle. He'd get pushed back into Smith on every play at guard.

T-post Tom 09-26-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10022394)

Dane speaks the truth.

T-post Tom 09-26-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10022396)
Guard? He plays too high at tackle. He'd get pushed back into Smith on every play at guard.

I can't disagree. That's why it's not my recommendation. But I can see the coaching staff trying to "protect" him by moving him inside.

Hammock Parties 09-26-2013 04:04 PM

I'd bet 5 million pesos Fisher never plays one down at guard in his NFL career.

philfree 09-26-2013 04:05 PM

I just had a threat blocked while on this page.

T-post Tom 09-26-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead (Post 10022405)
I'd bet 5 million pesos Fisher never plays one down at guard in his NFL career.

I hope you're right.

|Zach| 09-26-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 10020560)
Anyone who has watched the games should know that the Chiefs are lucky to be 3-0. Last week the Eagles turned the ball over 4 times in the first half, yet we only had a 10 point lead. I was sure we were going to lose that game up until the 5:00 minute mark of the 4th quarter.

Having said all of that, I'm still pretty damn happy with the job Andy Reid has done with this team. I think the offense will get better, and I like wondering how the hell this team is 3-0 a hell of a lot better than the shit we've been fed for nearly a decade.

Nah.

BigMeatballDave 09-26-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 10021962)
This place will be lively when the defense comes back down to earth and opposing teams stop shitting their pants.

Huh? Why would that happen?

You don't think this D is legit?

Hammock Parties 09-26-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10022445)
Huh? Why would that happen?

You don't think this D is legit?

The defense probably isn't going to play at this level all year long. We're realistically not a top 5 D.

Houston and Denver are probably going to force Alex to put up more than 24 to win.

JENKINSWINS 09-26-2013 04:33 PM

Interesting article about roster stability...

"The Bears, Chiefs and Cardinals all changed head coaches, changed a lot of offensive personnel, and have seen improvements offensively."

http://s23.postimg.org/5gl3tv3kr/Scr...3_27_43_PM.png

KC is headed in the right direction. Patience people.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/po...equals-success

T-post Tom 09-26-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead (Post 10022463)
The defense probably isn't going to play at this level all year long. We're realistically not a top 5 D.

http://thoughtsonleadership.biz/wp-c...haijo1_400.jpg

DaneMcCloud 09-26-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Bullshit.

The Raiders twice, Bills and Cleveland aren't going to challenge this defense. San Diego *might*, even though they had a hard time with Tennessee.

Quote:

Houston and Denver are probably going to force Alex to put up more than 24 to win.

Houston's been winning games badly. They're way out of sync. Denver is the only team that I can see giving the Chiefs fits and well, they're giving every team fits.

Hammock Parties 09-26-2013 04:43 PM

Even if you have a top D you're not going to stop top offenses all the time. You should be happy if you hold Peyton Manning to 21 or 24 points. This isn't 1991.

Of course if we lose 24-21 to the Broncos, people here would inevitably blame the defense.

BigMeatballDave 09-26-2013 04:43 PM

Why would the D regress?

Hammock Parties 09-26-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10022494)
Why would the D regress?

They're not going to "regress" per se. We face a lot of crappy teams so I'm sure there will be stat padding going on.

But do you really expect them to hold the Broncos under 21 points? I don't. Flowers has been iffy and Sean Smith is...Sean Smith. I don't know who the **** our nickel is.

BossChief 09-26-2013 04:45 PM

I wonder what Alex does with his defense that makes such a difference.

He left SF and their defense is sucking chili dogs
He goes to KC and we are raping like we are the 96 Chiefs d

SAUTO 09-26-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10021422)
It's amazing to me how some people will jump instantly to the defense of Alex Smith, who's been here a matter of months, yet just as quickly jump all over a long-time incumbent pro bowl receiver.

So I guess it isn't so much about being a fan understandably jumping to the defense of all your Chiefs, just a selective fan who for some reason jumps only to the defense of certain Chiefs.

I think djln said the exact opposite thing about Bowe earlier this season. And he was probably there watching it...
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave 09-26-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead (Post 10022492)
Even if you have a top D you're not going to stop top offenses all the time. You should be happy if you hold Peyton Manning to 21 or 24 points. This isn't 1991.

Of course if we lose 24-21 to the Broncos, people here would inevitably blame the defense.

Last yrs D held them to 19 in Arrowhead.

DaneMcCloud 09-26-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead (Post 10022492)

And Alex Smith could be 21-26 with 250 yards, 3 TD's, no interceptions and people would inevitably blame him.

Pasta Little Brioni 09-26-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10022394)

Yeah that was a silly comment. This D is LOADED in talent.

DaneMcCloud 09-26-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10022501)
Last yrs D held them to 19 in Arrowhead.

But that was before the emergence of Julius Thomas, the addition Wes Welker and Ronnie Hillman's rookie season.

Pasta Little Brioni 09-26-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Bullshit. This is as talented of a defense as there is in the league.

l4z4rd 09-26-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10022499)

He doesn't put the defense into a bad situation. He rarely turns the ball over on his side of the field, and if the drive stalls the opposing team usually has to drive the length of the field to score.

BigMeatballDave 09-26-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10022507)
But that was before the emergence of Julius Thomas, the addition Wes Welker and Ronnie Hillman's rookie season.

And this yrs D is even better than last year.

A boy can dream...

DaneMcCloud 09-26-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10022510)

A boy can dream...

I hope they match up well and contain but until I see a team hold Denver to less than 30 points, I'll have my doubts.

Pasta Little Brioni 09-26-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10022510)

A boy can dream...

How can people not see the insane talent we have. Watch other games and it is mind blowing.

Halfcan 09-26-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 10020596)
...and there are some cynical, jaded mother****ers on here. Rightfully so, in some cases. I just hope that some of you don't live your lives with the same pessimistic disposition that you practice in your Chiefs fandom...that is a shitty way to live your life.

Even Jags fans get bummed out coming to the planet-lol Too many Eeyores.

Hammock Parties 09-26-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 10022508)
Bullshit. This is as talented of a defense as there is in the league.

I guess.

We're not 85 Bears or anything, though.

Manning's gonna get his.

Coogs 09-26-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10022503)
And Alex Smith could be 21-26 with 250 yards, 3 TD's, no interceptions and people would inevitably blame him.

Alex Smith. The QB who gets too much blame when his team wins, and too much credit when his team looses.

Halfcan 09-26-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10022503)

ROFL how true

the Talking Can 09-26-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

I feel like everybody needs to read Urban Myers comments/criticism of Alex Smith.

It really does explain a ton and coming from his college coach it carries a lot of weight with me.

Smith's not going to make those plays while running until he feels 100% comfortable in the offense. Sure, we'd like him to be there immediately, but you can see that he isn't. With SF - he got there. There's a reason the guy was able to complete 70% of his passes last season (and Kap is at 56% this year under the same 'guru').

deez beat me to it...but I don't want to hear about having to wait for a 29 year old vet QB we traded multiple picks for to develop...seeing the play down field under pressure isn't a scheme specific skill, it's a talent you have or don't

on this point we'll just have to agree to disagree

and re: the gannon discussion

if I remember correctly, he was signed by the Raiders as a FA, he didn't cost them anything, so it's really not a straight comparison

i'd give much less of a shit about Smith if he were free

chiefzilla1501 09-26-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l4z4rd (Post 10022509)
He doesn't put the defense into a bad situation. He rarely turns the ball over on his side of the field, and if the drive stalls the opposing team usually has to drive the length of the field to score.

This. I really don't care as much about not stretching the field if he keeps doing this. Where he has to improve is he HAS to get much better in the red zone and he had better learn to be nails in the clutch. If he does those two things, I'm actually okay with Alex Smith (and I'm not necessarily a big fan). But it's seeming more and more that offenses who can play efficient offense make their defense better.

Sandy Vagina 09-26-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC (Post 10022000)
I just don't understand why so many of you guys think there is zero chance we will have an above average offense by the end of the year. Sure, it's not very good now, but when I watch games, I see the O-line getting blown up damn near every play. Personally, I think Alex Smith has played well, and I have some optimism that the Chiefs O will get better. I guess that makes me a True Fan.

:clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 10022041)
I don't even care if we mostly dink and dunk it, but they gotta make it work, which has been pretty hit and miss with a lot of 3 and outs so far. The threat of the deep ball backs the defense up so the short stuff can actually work.

It's not JUST Alex Smith, there are other problems that have been discussed, but he doesn't just get a free pass. Peyton Manning hasn't turned the ball over this year, either. Does anybody think we can beat them going 3 and out for an entire quarter of play?

I get sick of the dink and dunk, too. But I'll happily take it if they get it running consistently.

Most of this, I agree with. OL penalties and stuffed runs need to be less frequent, and the receiver drops lessening would help this dink-and-dunk offense greatly though.

(and small potatoes, but Manning had a fumble lost in his last game vs Oakland)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10022067)
You guys make it seem like we would have lost games by throwing picks on deep passes instead of punting because we don't try to.

Read the op. We have the best starting field position of any team and aren't doing a lot with it. I bet we have the most punts in opponents territory of anyone.

FFS we have a really good defense that is built to protect a mistake or 4 without having to pay too severly for them.

Can't disagree with this, really.

Coogs 09-26-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10022531)
This. I really don't care as much about not stretching the field if he keeps doing this. Where he has to improve is he HAS to get much better in the red zone and he had better learn to be nails in the clutch. If he does those two things, I'm actually okay with Alex Smith (and I'm not necessarily a big fan). But it's seeming more and more that offenses who can play efficient offense make their defense better.

We had 5 trips to the red zone before last Thursday's game, and we had 5 TD's. We were bound to not score a TD on every trip in there.

Sandy Vagina 09-26-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10022499)

Alex may put together longer drives, but overall, it is the turnovers and inept offense from Kaepernick.

Against Seattle, Kaep turned the ball over 4 times.. 3 of them were on the short side of the field... 2 INTs were returned inside the 25 and inside the 5. Against the Colts, the D held Indy to 13 points through 50 minutes of the game... but the SF offense couldn't do shit.

chiefzilla1501 09-26-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 10022334)
Baltimore scored 31ppg in the playoffs last year... Flacco threw for 11 yards in 4 games with a 9ypa and 117 rating. Seattle lost last year despite throwing for 385 yards and scoring 28 points. Houston lost their playoff game 41-28 last year. The 2011 Giants scored 25.5pgg in the postseason, and Manning threw for over 1200 yards in 4 games. The 49ers last year gave up 31 points in two of their games and in 2011 had to beat the Saints 36-32 on Smith's 300 yards/3TDs (and Brees threw for 460 that game, but didn't have 140 yards rushing to back it up like the 49ers did).

There are almost no guarantees in anything, so it's pointless to even say... the overwhelming trend is that you need elite QB play to win deep in the playoffs, which can only be overcome by elite play at several other positions, such an entire defense.

The Ravens ran the ball over 30 times (and usually over 35 times) in each of those playoff games. Just because a QB runs an efficient offense, doesn't mean he isn't going to get yards. Eli was also a master at running an efficient offense in their two Super Bowl runs. Flacco was a master in the playoffs because he ran an efficient offense and then had a few HUGE yardage plays sprinkled in between.

Teams like the Saints and Packers, they usually run the ball less than 20 times. Both were outside the top 20 in rushing attempts in 2012.

Sandy Vagina 09-26-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 10022529)
I don't want to hear about having to wait for a 29 year old vet QB we traded multiple picks for to develop...seeing the play down field under pressure isn't a scheme specific skill, it's a talent you have or don't

Still needs SOME time to click with his new receivers. He has to learn their subtleties. His accuracy greatly improved in SF because he learned that each receiver had strengths and weaknesses in their catch radius. So he knew that some targets needed to be thrown to with more touch and to the body... others showed that they could snatch the stronger outside passes.

chiefzilla1501 09-26-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 10022316)
Yeah, that tends to happen when you have to score 40 to win.

Christ, the Saints gave up 30+ points to an Alex Smith offense.

Watching the 49ers, it's more than fair to ask if an offense that runs way too fast puts your defense at a disadvantage.

Titty Meat 09-26-2013 05:10 PM

Andy Reid is 78-12 when his teams are on the right side of turnovers. While I think the Chiefs paid too much for Smith he was the best option for this year.

Halfcan 09-26-2013 05:11 PM

Geez does Every thread have to turn into a Alex Sucks / Kape is better / we gave too much for him / we should have drafted Geno / the Chiefs are doomed!!!!

chiefzilla1501 09-26-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 10022303)
You make a good point but I would add you have to be able to move the ball in chunks at various times and you have to put up points. I just don't believe dinking and dunking down the field isn't going to cut it in the NFL anymore.

Yup. I'm not a big Alex Smith fan. But I think people have the misperception that you have to run a Drew Brees offense to be successful, and that's just not at all the case. The Ravens and the Giants are examples of teams that tend to be really difficult to stop in the playoffs, and they do it by playing efficiently. These guys do similar things as Alex Smith does, but they can also make big plays (when needed) and are the definition of a game manager, where within reason they can take what the defense gives them (which means being able to shoot out, if needed).

Sandy Vagina 09-26-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 10022568)
Andy Reid is 78-12 when his teams are on the right side of turnovers. While I think the Chiefs paid too much for Smith he was the best option for this year.

:eek: :clap:

the Talking Can 09-26-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 10022570)
Geez does Every thread have to turn into a Alex Sucks / Kape is better / we gave too much for him / we should have drafted Geno / the Chiefs are doomed!!!!

what do you want, every thread to be about getting raped by your babysitter or something?

LMAO

Bearcat 09-26-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10022561)
The Ravens ran the ball over 30 times (and usually over 35 times) in each of those playoff games. Just because a QB runs an efficient offense, doesn't mean he isn't going to get yards. Eli was also a master at running an efficient offense in their two Super Bowl runs. Flacco was a master in the playoffs because he ran an efficient offense and then had a few HUGE yardage plays sprinkled in between.

Teams like the Saints and Packers, they usually run the ball less than 20 times. Both were outside the top 20 in rushing attempts in 2012.

However you look at it, those QBs put up good passing numbers and those offenses had to put up points. Hell, if people aren't comfortable with "there's overwhelming evidence that you need elite QB play to win deep into the playoffs (unless you have a lot of shit to make up for it, like an elite defense)", think of it as needing a lot of points, regardless of where they come from. Then, all you have to do is look at scores and try to fool yourself (not you, specifically) into thinking you can win with a decent defense and mediocre QB.

So, about those 28+ points you'll need when going up against the Mannings and Rodgers of the world, are you more comfortable relying on your offense or defense to get them? Assuming you know the purpose of each and picked offense, are you going to rely more on a run/short pass game or stretching the field? And like you said, it's not like 'stretching the field' means every drive or whatever... but, it does mean taking chances.

You can call those offenses efficient or whatever... and they certainly aren't DV-style offense.... but, the QBs still put up elite numbers and you have to get the points somehow.

DeezNutz 09-26-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-NinersChiefs (Post 10022564)
Still needs SOME time to click with his new receivers. He has to learn their subtleties. His accuracy greatly improved in SF because he learned that each receiver had strengths and weaknesses in their catch radius. So he knew that some targets needed to be thrown to with more touch and to the body... others showed that they could snatch the stronger outside passes.

Yeah, I'm not buying this narrative of Alex Smith as astute QBing surgeon.

He processes SO MUCH information!!! It's ****ing unbelievable!!! He's like P. Manning, without the physical talent or testicles!

Bearcat 09-26-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 10022570)

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 10020614)
i'd like to apologize to our sensitive fans for posting an article about football on a football message board...

i clearly have mental issues, and will now go commit myself to inpatient therapy along with Aldon Smith...

it is harmful to discuss football with football fans, I will also attempt to contact the author of this article and explain to him that his life is miserable and that he should kill himself...

Halfcan 09-26-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 10022593)
what do you want, every thread to be about getting raped by your babysitter or something?

LMAO

LMAO That thread would just turn into how the 49ers raped us on the trade / how Alex is raping this Offense because he sucks so bad and how the Chiefs are raping the fans by pretending to be winners before they rip our hearts out.

chiefzilla1501 09-26-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 10022610)
However you look at it, those QBs put up good passing numbers and those offenses had to put up points. Hell, if people aren't comfortable with "there's overwhelming evidence that you need elite QB play to win deep into the playoffs (unless you have a lot of shit to make up for it, like an elite defense)", think of it as needing a lot of points, regardless of where they come from. Then, all you have to do is look at scores and try to fool yourself (not you, specifically) into thinking you can win with a decent defense and mediocre QB.

So, about those 28+ points you'll need when going up against the Mannings and Rodgers of the world, are you more comfortable relying on your offense or defense to get them? Assuming you know the purpose of each and picked offense, are you going to rely more on a run/short pass game or stretching the field? And like you said, it's not like 'stretching the field' means every drive or whatever... but, it does mean taking chances.

You can call those offenses efficient or whatever... and they certainly aren't DV-style offense.... but, the QBs still put up elite numbers and you have to get the points somehow.

The Giants and Ravens are at their best when the defense gives them something to work with, and when they can run the ball... a LOT. Eli doesn't look the same this year now that their running game is a complete embarrassment.

I believe Flacco and Eli are elite QBs. I don't think Alex Smith is. I just find it a little ridiculous that people don't want to call Flacco and Eli elite because they aren't putting up 5,000 yard seasons. Or that the game is shifting to a fast passing attack game. These are guys who may not always throw over 4,000 yards, but I'd take them over most QBs in this league.

Mav 09-26-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10021703)
"They haven't had to" is a really poor rationale.

You always "have to", especially against a team like the Eagles. As we saw when they were gouging us on broken running plays.

Every quarter, every series, every down is important. You don't play with the attitude of "oh whatever, it's just the first half, we can get it done when we really need to."

It totally counted before halftime. If they "get it done" in the first two quarters it's probably a 30-6 game at the half, and we're actually able to play conservative football in the 2nd half, instead of biting our nails and trying to hang on for dear life because it's a 1 TD game in the 3rd quarter. And we definitely aren't sitting here trying to rationalize an offense that's clearly failing to execute as being some kind of intentional martyball passing game.

Nah, not like that. Good point by you, I probably worded that wrong. When I mean doesn't have to, its more like he isn't inclined to take an un Alex like conservative approach with the team leading which they were. That's what I mean by doesn't have to. I agree. The offense needs to be better, more consistent. I don't think anyone would say differently. I just don't believe you can lay this at the feet of one person.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 10021729)
Keep it close, play defense, and don't turn it over. It's such a brilliant philosophy.

I hope the people pretending that everything is A-OK never say a bad thing about Marty Schottenheimer. He's the ****ing Grand Poobah of that religion.

90s Chiefs 2.0! Tickets on sale now!

Who said everything is A OK?

What I hear is one side saying.....Alex Smith is more aggressive, everything else will be okay.

What I hear the other side saying is: The problems with the offense are far bigger than one person, and there are multiple issues to deal with.

I don't see anyone saying, SHUT UP, THE OFFENSE IS GREAT, EAT A DICK ALEX HATER.....

DeezNutz 09-26-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10022632)
What I hear is one side saying.....Alex Smith is more aggressive, everything else will be okay.

What I hear the other side saying is: The problems with the offense are far bigger than one person, and there are multiple issues to deal with.

Inaccurate in both respects.

Side A: Great that we're 3-0, but this approach, offensively, won't sustain success.

Side B: 3-0 speaks for itself. Smith is doing a great job of protecting the football and facilitating the game.

chiefzilla1501 09-26-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 10022636)

Side A: Great that we're 3-0, but this approach, offensively, won't sustain success.

Side B: 3-0 speaks for itself. Smith is doing a great job of protecting the football and facilitating the game.

What Manning, Big Ben, and Flacco do really well is take what the game gives them. That means when this defense breaks (and it will, especially when the playoff race heats up), then Smith better be ready to keep up with an aggressive offense.

That's where I think he falls a little short. This is also the type of offense where Smith can't just be good in the 4th quarter, he has to be exceptional. I think Smith is the type of QB who can manage his way to a playoff win or two, but unlike Flacco and Eli, he'll be dependent on the defense to make plays for him. And I'll need to see more 4th quarter performances like we saw against Philly.

If Smith can do those things, he may make games look uncomfortable, but he does make us competitive.

the Talking Can 09-26-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 10022618)
LMAO That thread would just turn into how the 49ers raped us on the trade / how Alex is raping this Offense because he sucks so bad and how the Chiefs are raping the fans by pretending to be winners before they rip our hearts out.

and for the record, there is a link to a positive article about our defense in the thread header...but literally no one cared

Halfcan 09-26-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 10022613)
Yeah, I'm not buying this narrative of Alex Smith as astute QBing surgeon.

He processes SO MUCH information!!! It's ****ing unbelievable!!! He's like P. Manning, without the physical talent or testicles!

Alex "The Surgeon" Smith will be carving up the Giants this week!!

4-0!!

Mav 09-26-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

I still maintain that if the oline comes together, the tight ends get healthy, the play calling is cleaned up, lets be honest, until the 4th quarter it was absolutely hideous, and alex smith develops and demonstrates trust in his receivers, this offense will be a hell of a lot better.

To me, that is far more accurate than saying, well if Alex Smith just takes more chances down the field, everything is better instantly.

I don't believe that in the least.

Sandy Vagina 09-26-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Actually, both A and B can be true simultaneously.