ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports ****Official Golf Thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=290478)

Prison Bitch 06-21-2015 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 11560254)
If DJ doesn't win a major eventually, it would shock me. He's just so talented. But many said the same about Sergio 10+ years ago too. You never know for sure.

Had the exact conversation using the same exact comp with a friend tonight

Prison Bitch 06-21-2015 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11560306)
I was standing behind the 18th when reteif missed that. Also watched tiger shoot 63 live there.

The pga in august in tulsa, we were there for the whole week, practice rounds and all. 800 bucks to stay in a motel 8 for the week (shit hole motel 8). We drove to watch a practice round at 615 in the am and it was already 97, hottest most miserable week ever. Damn I hate getting old.

I remember that week in 07. Went to a Sprongfield Cards game that Sat night and my car outside temp gauge said 109 at 6pm.

New World Order 06-22-2015 02:46 AM

The dude on draft kings that won the million dollar tournament only had one entry.

Unreal

Jerm 06-22-2015 07:38 AM

Karma bit DJ in the ass pretty hard yesterday. I'm sure Jimmy Walker was smiling...

O.city 06-22-2015 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 11560319)
I remember that week in 07. Went to a Sprongfield Cards game that Sat night and my car outside temp gauge said 109 at 6pm.

It was miserable.

We sat in metal bleachers for 2 hours packed like sardines to watch tiger play a par 5.

He did hit it in 2 but still not worth it

ChiefRocka 06-22-2015 10:26 AM

DJs putting sucked all day yesterday. Not just on 18.
If only Louie didn't let Tiger get to him Day 1.

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-22-2015 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefRocka (Post 11560650)
DJs putting sucked all day yesterday. Not just on 18.
If only Louie didn't let Tiger get to him Day 1.

Johnson's putting stats were better than Spieth's the first three rounds and the front nine yesterday.

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-22-2015 11:01 AM

I would not play on any course with greens like this:

https://instagram.com/p/4Nmq2zpg2V/

Prison Bitch 06-22-2015 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11560720)

I'm sorry your whole experience was ruined and that you were unable to enjoy a great weekend of golf.

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-22-2015 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 11560741)
I'm sorry your whole experience was ruined and that you were unable to enjoy a great weekend of golf.

Perhaps you should learn that drama alone does not equal greatness. If it did, then The Real Housewives would be a better show than The Wire.

Prison Bitch 06-22-2015 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11560764)
Perhaps you should learn that drama alone does not equal greatness. If it did, then The Real Housewives would be a better show than The Wire.

Get over yourself. It's sport; not art, poetry or religion. It's meant for enjoyment not helping you find the meaning of life. However if you pine for the days of yore, you can always pull up YouTube clips of Kaymers 8-stroke demolition last year.

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-22-2015 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 11560791)
Get over yourself. It's sport; not art, poetry or religion. It's meant for enjoyment not helping you find the meaning of life. However if you pine for the days of yore, you can always pull up YouTube clips of Kaymers 8-stroke demolition last year.

Let me tell you all something about Prison Bitch....

http://i1.wp.com/www.brobible.com/wp...size=446%2C280

GloryDayz 06-22-2015 11:42 AM

Quote:

THAT is one ugly pic...

I think were one step away from that Kansas , Iowa, or Nebraske farmer mowing his wheat field and calling-in the USGA looking for his farm's date for hosting a U.S. Open.

Hootie 06-22-2015 12:47 PM

that looks more like the fairway than the greens, to me ... but if that is what they were really putting on then lolll

GloryDayz 06-22-2015 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie 2.0 (Post 11560879)
that looks more like the fairway than the greens, to me ... but if that is what they were really putting on then lolll

Pic from a Bing Image serach for U.S. Open greens. ****ing shit looks like a green coral reef of sorts.

https://nesncom.files.wordpress.com/...ens.jpeg?w=399

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/zN...2a1fb22778a311

https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpre...-of-greens.jpg

Hootie 06-22-2015 01:02 PM

is there a video of that 2nd putt picture or a .gif?

I'd love to see that LOL

GloryDayz 06-22-2015 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie 2.0 (Post 11560896)

I'd love to see that LOL

Start here. They say it's in here..

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/eye-on...han-advertised

KC native 06-22-2015 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie 2.0 (Post 11560896)

I'd love to see that LOL

http://giant.gfycat.com/GrandIcyBedbug.gif

Hootie 06-22-2015 03:11 PM

Link? My phone only recognized it as a .jpg

KC native 06-22-2015 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie 2.0 (Post 11561216)
Link? My phone only recognized it as a .jpg

http://giant.gfycat.com/GrandIcyBedbug.gif

BWillie 06-22-2015 04:04 PM

I feel for Dustin. I choke under pressure too in golf, at least when I putt. If I was a reliever, I would have a 0.5 ERA in low leverage situations and a 10.5 ERA in high leverage. I lost countless tournaments in high school and even a couple in college where I just blew it on the last 1 or 2 holes. The only ones I won was when I had such a big lead, there was no pressure.

I 4-putted #18 for Conference in High School in front of like a 50 person gallery (just parents & other golf teams) but nonetheless, totally choked. If I 3 putt It goes to a playoff. I 3putted the last 3 holes to lose a dual meet, and I 4-putted #18 to lose a triangular meet. In college, we had a chance to advance to regionals, and I missed a 2.5-foot putt for birdie. Sad really. I just don't have, whatever it is.

I think they should just play GIR, and if you hit the green you automatically are counted as 2-putts, and if you stick it inside of 10 feet you automatically are counted as a 1-putt. Putting is reeruned. It's even more boring to watch it on TV. But the "blue sky with the ball in the background" show doesn't do much for me either.

srvy 06-22-2015 06:01 PM

Quote:

So why did Washington get the US Open? Steve Balmer throw a bunch of money to the USGA. They actually send people to the course to instruct and help the crew get it open ready.

Poe Ana is a noxious weed it grows at 3 times the rate of turf grass and bent grass. The only way to eradicate it is tearing down and rebuilding the green only to have it come back just by a golfer off green where its seeds are track it onto the new green. What makes it so bad is it can be cut early in the morning and by afternoon be 3 times longer the the bent grass its encroaching on.

GloryDayz 06-22-2015 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 11561495)
So why did Washington get the US Open? Steve Balmer throw a bunch of money to the USGA. They actually send people to the course to instruct and help the crew get it open ready.

Poe Ana is a noxious weed it grows at 3 times the rate of turf grass and bent grass. The only way to eradicate it is tearing down and rebuilding the green only to have it come back just by a golfer off green where its seeds are track it onto the new green. What makes it so bad is it can be cut early in the morning and by afternoon be 3 times longer the the bent grass its encroaching on.

They could just burn all of Chambers Bay; that's a good start! But the trains, the poor trains that are such a big part of Chambers Bay's appeal!

Sort of like this:

http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...1407198331471/

Prison Bitch 06-22-2015 07:25 PM

Of course, that's exactly how greens are in Scotland where the game was invented. We were promised a British Open style of course and we got one. Frankly it was much better than seeing shaved down greens where decent putts rolled 50 feet down a slope causing guys to pitch up 3x and take a double. -5 was a score that indicated it was hard but not stupidly punitive.

GloryDayz 06-22-2015 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 11561672)
Of course, that's exactly how greens are in Scotland where the game was invented. We were promised a British Open style of course and we got one. Frankly it was much better than seeing shaved down greens where decent putts rolled 50 feet down a slope causing guys to pitch up 3x and take a double. -5 was a score that indicated it was hard but not stupidly punitive.

It never rained.... Perhaps "rain" isn't the course, but it, and driving winds during the rain, are key to British experience...

Whatever was promised, what was delivered was a very shitty patch of land.

And there's no ****ing way the PNW will ever be Scotland. NEVER!

O.city 06-22-2015 07:48 PM

That's the priblem, we already have a British open, there was no need for another one. Putting in poa is like putting on a planko board and is more indicative about luck vs skill. US open is traditionally played on a traditional old style golf course with punishing rough and fast greens. That's what I prefer the us open to be, but I was curious to see how this one went.

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-22-2015 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 11561672)

That's complete bullshit. Literally wrong on all accounts

1) The greens in Scotland are fescue, but they are a different species with much wider blade width than the fine fescue present at Chambers Bay. Also, they keep the grass longer there, which slows down the greens speeds. Poa cannot be cut short because it grows much quicker and forms seed heads almost instantaneously. As a result, the balls hop everywhere. Fescue greens in Scotland roll true.

2) Ask Chris Kirk above false fronts and pitching up and down multiple times. He had a chip roll down to his feet five times at #1 yesterday. Five. He took a ten.

3) There were numerous cases of guys hitting perfectly good putts that ended up miles away from the hole due to the construction of the green complexes, such as Patrick Reed's putt at 18 on Friday.

4) Open courses do not have greens that undulate nearly that much. The moguls are present in the fairways, and the course is protected by pot bunkers, which adds difficultly to running shots up to the green, and adds difficulty in flying shots to the hole due to the firmness of the putting surface.

It was a bastardized hybrid of a links course and a parkland course.

You simply have no idea what you are talking about.

GloryDayz 06-22-2015 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11561738)

1) The greens in Scotland are fescue, but they are a different species with much wider blade width than the fine fescue present at Chambers Bay. Also, they keep the grass longer there, which slows down the greens speeds. Poa cannot be cut short because it grows much quicker and forms seed heads almost instantaneously. As a result, the balls hop everywhere. Fescue greens in Scotland roll true.

2) Ask Chris Kirk above false fronts and pitching up and down multiple times. He had a chip roll down to his feet five times at #1 yesterday. Five. He took a ten.

3) There were numerous cases of guys hitting perfectly good putts that ended up miles away from the hole due to the construction of the green complexes, such as Patrick Reed's putt at 18 on Friday.

4) Open courses do not have greens that undulate nearly that much. The moguls are present in the fairways, and the course is protected by pot bunkers, which adds difficultly to running shots up to the green, and adds difficulty in flying shots to the hole due to the firmness of the putting surface.

I am stunningly impressed with your knowledge in this area..

Rep to you Sir...

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-22-2015 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 11561762)
I am stunningly impressed with your knowledge in this area..

Rep to you Sir...

<---Dad was a golf course super for many years. Worked on courses during summer months.

philfree 06-22-2015 08:52 PM

The greens at Ironhorse were to much for me.

GloryDayz 06-22-2015 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11561869)
<---Dad was a golf course super for many years. Worked on courses during summer months.

My dad worked at golf courses when he was young, he passed along very little other than me having to cut the lawn using half the blade and cut it both ways!

LOL!

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-22-2015 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 11561878)
My dad worked at golf courses when he was young, he passed along very little other than me having to cut the lawn using half the blade and cut it both ways!

LOL!

Like a preacher's kid, I went the opposite way. I hate taking care of grass now and do almost nothing to landscape. Push mow, weed eat when necessary, and that's about it.

Once I'm finished with school I have considered the possibility of buying a walking reel-to-reel mower and installing a small putting green for myself. But aside from that, I hate yard work.

philfree 06-22-2015 08:59 PM

so what's this fungus I see everywhere these days?

O.city 06-22-2015 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 11561870)
The greens at Ironhorse were to much for me.

Its a pretty fun course though, no?

GloryDayz 06-22-2015 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11561889)
Like a preacher's kid, I went the opposite way. I hate taking care of grass now and do almost nothing to landscape. Push mow, weed eat when necessary, and that's about it.

Once I'm finished with school I have considered the possibility of buying a walking reel-to-reel mower and installing a small putting green for myself. But aside from that, I hate yard work.

I hated it then, i love it now. I'm calmer than my dad is, but I did the powered reel mower for a long time until he was convinced that zoysia could be cut with a circular mower. Now he has hosted 20-30 weddings on his lawn, but hey it was still a very sweaty deal.

As for getting a reel mower.... If my kid keeps progressing with golf at this clip, my lawn may end up with one corner having a green...

Prison Bitch 06-22-2015 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11561738)

"The first time you play it, it's like St Andrews." - Phil Mickelson
http://nypost.com/2015/06/14/ridicul...s-open-course/

I'll take his word on this matter over yours, no offense.

GloryDayz 06-22-2015 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 11561913)

The second time you play it you realize the club put zero into making the course nice.

The place is the ****ing slums, and that's not taking anything away from any course in Scotland because Scotland is in, well, Scotland and that makes it a billion times cooler that anything around Seattle will ever be.

stevieray 06-22-2015 09:22 PM

Quote:

...you could tell by all the approach shots, that the course was just tough, I couldn't believe how many players just struggled...greens were super fast...I thought the ground just looked dry as hell... granted I only caught glimpses on sat and the final round..what was the final winning score....-5 ?

speaking of Phil, I'm the opposite but similar...lefty who had to learn to play right handed...Caddied( luckily, but hard to get into) at Blue Hills CC and played for free every Monday, so that helped a lot.

Prison Bitch 06-22-2015 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 11561963)
Caddied( luckily, but hard to get into) at Blue Hills CC and played for free every Monday.

You are quite lucky!

Jerm 06-22-2015 09:31 PM

Billy Horschel going crazy on Sunday was pretty entertaining...sucks he apologized for his post round comments, he wasn't wrong.

And for the love of God...please get the U.S. Open back on NBC ASAP.

stevieray 06-22-2015 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 11561978)
You are quite lucky!

ya, prolly never would've happened if not for an older cousin who got us a chance...they were strict, and you did not mess around...pretty premier back in the 70's..Stale Line was 2 s then...lol...
lilttle did i know my mom held onto my BHCC tag with my name on it..it's on my bag and its 40 years old..:doh!:

Miles 06-22-2015 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 11560891)
Pic from a Bing Image serach for U.S. Open greens. ****ing shit looks like a green coral reef of sorts.

Just awful. Never played anything like that.

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-22-2015 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 11561898)
so what's this fungus I see everywhere these days?

Without seeing a picture of it, my guess would be dollar spot. It's one of the most common fungi that develop on turfgrasses in extremely wet conditions.

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-22-2015 11:51 PM

Quote:

He wasn't talking about the conditions of the course, you lying ****. He was talking about how the course is unpredictable on a first visit because you can't predict how the ball is going to bounce.

I can tell you what the greens at St. Andrews are like because I've been there. They are nothing like any of the photos you've seen of Chambers, nor are the elevation changes anything like it anywhere in Fife.

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-23-2015 12:00 AM

Mike Davis, per Tim Rosaforte: "The greens are unacceptable. They need smoother putting surfaces for the national championship."

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/pla...-they-go-back/.

6:15 per the clip.

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-23-2015 12:07 AM

The average number of putts per round in a PGA tournament is 29. It was 33 at Chambers Bay. By contrast, the worst putter on the PGA tour averages 31.2 putts per round.

BWillie 06-23-2015 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11562189)
The average number of putts per round in a PGA tournament is 29. It was 33 at Chambers Bay. By contrast, the worst putter on the PGA tour averages 31.2 putts per round.

It is just amazing to me how good pros putt. It truly astounds me. I really think there are lots of really good ball strikers out there who just suck at putting, and well these guys work at Kinkos or something. I played in a junior pro am a few years straight when I was in high school when it was the Nike Tour or Nationwide Tour, dont know what its called now, but those guys drilled everything. I thought their ball striking would stick out at me as the thing that separated the scratch golfers from the pros, but it was definitely their short game.

O.city 06-23-2015 07:27 AM

Pros make more 15 to 20 footers in a week than most "good" golfers make in 6 months.

I played with a guy that played some mini tour stuff. Great ball striker and good putter, just not a great putter. Just couldn't make enough putts

OnTheWarpath15 06-23-2015 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11562244)
Pros make more 15 to 20 footers in a week than most "good" golfers make in 6 months.

I played with a guy that played some mini tour stuff. Great ball striker and good putter, just not a great putter. Just couldn't make enough putts

IIRC, according to Mark Broadie - tour players are 50/50 to make a putt from 8 feet.

For the common amateur, I'd be willing to bet it's closer to 15-20%, maybe even less.

Prison Bitch 06-23-2015 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11562177)
He wasn't talking about the conditions of the course, you lying ****. He was talking about how the course is unpredictable on a first visit because you can't predict how the ball is going to bounce.

I can tell you what the greens at St. Andrews are like because I've been there. They are nothing like any of the photos you've seen of Chambers, nor are the elevation changes anything like it anywhere in Fife.

I love when you cry like a bitch. You're just a well-spoken Hootie: a "think-you-know-it-all" who gets defensive when someone makes a point. As if it offends you.

I never commented on the composition of the grasses (that's your straw man) and I said it was a British Style. Phil said thusly: "I think it's wonderful. It's not your typical US Open hit and hack. You're going to be able to control it much more like a British Open".

In no sense did he qualify that statement with "the first time". You sniveling bitch.

GloryDayz 06-23-2015 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11562184)
Mike Davis, per Tim Rosaforte: "The greens are unacceptable. They need smoother putting surfaces for the national championship."

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/pla...-they-go-back/.

6:15 per the clip.

I'm sorry, that's pure bullshit that the USGA is trying to get back there. Any long Muni, given the chance to fix all the things they say need fixing, should then have an equal chance in getting a major.

It's clear that the USGA has an agenda here, and it's to the exclusion of other venues, and what's worse is that it's for a location that has no history.

Other than a spectacular view (which most Colorado courses could argue they have too), there was nothing about this course that drove the need for the USGA to pick it. Well other than their rather failed attempt to promote "conservation." But all things being equal, their attempt to promote conservations seems to have shown little more than what the effects of neglect will get you.

The place was shit in almost every respectable measure, but they're going to keep tweaking it until it's something less than pure shit, and shove it down golfer's throats because they can.

LOL, they'll be back in part because the merchandise tent sold out? Really? Well next time a golf course's only flat spot to stand on is in the merchandising tent, maybe they'll get the same thing. That was just dumb!

I can't wait for next week so we can see golfing on grass for a change.

Bowser 06-23-2015 10:41 AM

Speaking as a muni hacker myself, I'd probably be less than happy to play on grass like that at a US Open if I were playing it. Undulating fairways and greens are one thing, but that POA shit just isn't acceptable. I really don't feel terrible for these pros to struggle on a weekend, but THIS weekend?

Hell, play it at Staley. Staley has moguls and whoop-dee-doos right out of a ski resort, but the grass looks great!

srvy 06-23-2015 11:14 AM

Interesting I thought Pebble Beach had totally rehabbed the greens and rebuilt in an attempt to get rid of the POA in late 90's. I guess not but its still a beautiful green course.

Definition: Poa annua is a type of grass sometimes found on golf courses and sometimes used as the putting green grass, including at Pebble Beach Golf Links.

Definition: Poa annua is a type of grass sometimes found on golf courses and sometimes used as the putting green grass, including at Pebble Beach Golf Links.

Poa is a genus of bluegrasses. There are approximately 500 species of poagrasses. According to the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America, poa pratensis "is the species name for Kentucky bluegrass. Poa annua is annual bluegrass. There's also Poa trivialis (rough bluegrass) and Poa compressa (Canada bluegrass)."

Poa annua is easily the one best-known to golfers because it covers the putting greens at one of the world's most-famous courses, Pebble Beach in California.

Putting greens that use poa annua can sometimes have a splotchy or streaky look to them, because there are many different strains of poa annua. The more strains show up on a particular putting surface, the splotchier or streakier that putting green may appear. This is just a cosmetic affect, however, and does not impact the quality of the putting surface in terms of smoothness.

Poa annua does have one quality that some golfers don't appreciate. This includes Tiger Woods, who is not a fan of poa annua greens. That quality is this: Different strains of poa annua can grow at different rates during the sunny part of each day. That means that in the late afternoon, after a day of growing time, a poa annua green might be less smooth - bumpier - than it was throughout most of the day.

http://golf.about.com/cs/golfterms/g/bldef_poa.htm
Poa is a genus of bluegrasses. There are approximately 500 species of poagrasses. According to the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America, poa pratensis "is the species name for Kentucky bluegrass. Poa annua is annual bluegrass. There's also Poa trivialis (rough bluegrass) and Poa compressa (Canada bluegrass)."

Poa annua is easily the one best-known to golfers because it covers the putting greens at one of the world's most-famous courses, Pebble Beach in California.

Putting greens that use poa annua can sometimes have a splotchy or streaky look to them, because there are many different strains of poa annua. The more strains show up on a particular putting surface, the splotchier or streakier that putting green may appear. This is just a cosmetic affect, however, and does not impact the quality of the putting surface in terms of smoothness.

Poa annua does have one quality that some golfers don't appreciate. This includes Tiger Woods, who is not a fan of poa annua greens. That quality is this: Different strains of poa annua can grow at different rates during the sunny part of each day. That means that in the late afternoon, after a day of growing time, a poa annua green might be less smooth - bumpier - than it was throughout most of the day.

http://www.austindailyherald.com/201...ape-poa-annua/

Golf course greens can’t escape poa annua
Published 7:22am Thursday, June 24, 2010
Email This Post Email This Post Comments

Anyone who watched the U.S. Open last weekend likely noticed splotchy greens — and plenty of talk about a feisty type of grass.

The grass getting all of the attention is poa annua, a widespread, native variety that blossoms at the tip, creating patchy areas. While that might sound harmless enough, the sod has become the subject of much debate and scrutiny.

And though a lot of the chatter is going on among fans on various golf forums, the debate has included the world’s top professionals.

“These greens are awful,” Tiger Woods told the Boston Globe recently about Pebble Beach Golf Links in California, where the U.S. Open was held. “They’re bouncing all over the place.’’

That criticism elicited a defense from Tom O’Toole Jr., chairman of the United States Golf Association’s championship committee.

“The greens here at Pebble Beach are poa annua (grass), and when you have 156 players playing over two days, they’re going to get bumpy,’’ he told the Globe. “While there may be criticism from some players about the bumpiness of the greens, that’s a little bit the nature of the beast to what you have here at Pebble Beach. We couldn’t be more pleased.’’

Despite the recent uproar, the poa annua issue is nothing new, Austin golf officials said.

Mike Grinstead, the owner and course superintendent at Meadow Greens, said he’s been using a chemical spray to combat the grass for at least eight years. Still, he said a few of his greens have poa.

“It’s hard to keep it out completely,” Grinstead said. “It’s a grass that’s very hard to manage.”

The chemical sprays, which come roughly once every three weeks, are meant to not only combat poa, but to strengthen other grasses in the area, the Meadow Greens owner said. The goal, Grinstead noted, is to push out poa annua as much as possible.

Other places — with bigger budgets — turn to more drastic measures. Hazeltine National Golf Club in Chaska, which hosted the 2009 PGA Championship and is slated to host the 2016 Ryder Cup, will be re-sodding greens and fairways later this summer — partly as a way to eradicate poa and replace it with more traditional bent grass.

Not all courses are faced with the problem, however. Steve Bartholomew, club manager at River Oaks in Austin, said he hasn’t had to deal with the tough grass yet. But that doesn’t mean he’s not well aware of it.

“It’s certainly stuff you got to keep an eye out for,” Bartholomew said.

Yet there are courses, including Pebble Beach, that either purposefully grow poa annua or simply just embrace it and manage it if it blooms. Mike Nelson, the superintendent at Austin Country Club, said his course is one such place.

“Everybody has (poa annua), pretty much,” he said. “We try to almost manage for it.”

Instead of treating greens, which Nelson said can just leave undesirable dead spots, staff at the country club just incorporate the grass into the course.

“You can manage the poa, it can make a good green,” Nelson said. “It’s fair for everybody. They all play the same course.”

Despite some varying tactics when it comes to poa annua, all the Austin golf pros acknowledged that the grass isn’t simply going away. It’s as common in backyards as it is on fairways, and it often travels by way of a golfer’s shoe — meaning it spreads easily from home to course, or from course to course.

“Poa is basically a native grass,” Grinstead said. “It’s just there.”

MahiMike 06-23-2015 12:31 PM

A wonderful weekend of golf spoiled by a 3 putt at the end. Poor Dustin. His putting game looks like Tiger's chips.

I wanted to see a playoff.

philfree 06-23-2015 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11562174)
Without seeing a picture of it, my guess would be dollar spot. It's one of the most common fungi that develop on turfgrasses in extremely wet conditions.

I had never really come across this stuff till a couple of years ago. The greens suck so bad where I play that it really doesn't matter much.

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-23-2015 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 11562488)
Speaking as a muni hacker myself, I'd probably be less than happy to play on grass like that at a US Open if I were playing it. Undulating fairways and greens are one thing, but that POA shit just isn't acceptable. I really don't feel terrible for these pros to struggle on a weekend, but THIS weekend?

Hell, play it at Staley. Staley has moguls and whoop-dee-doos right out of a ski resort, but the grass looks great!

They had a US Open qualifier at Staley several years ago. My brother in law played in it when my wife's family belonged there. We had our wedding reception at Staley.

GloryDayz 06-23-2015 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11563664)
They had a US Open qualifier at Staley several years ago. My brother in law played in it when my wife's family belonged there. We had our wedding reception at Staley.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Miles 06-23-2015 10:32 PM

My only experience with poa annua is it being like a weed. When it contaminates bent grass greens a course usually does all it can to get it the **** out or minimize it. Had no idea there were greens made of the stuff and have played in variety of areas in the country.

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-24-2015 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 11562258)
I love when you cry like a bitch. You're just a well-spoken Hootie: a "think-you-know-it-all" who gets defensive when someone makes a point. As if it offends you.

I never commented on the composition of the grasses (that's your straw man) and I said it was a British Style. Phil said thusly: "I think it's wonderful. It's not your typical US Open hit and hack. You're going to be able to control it much more like a British Open".

In no sense did he qualify that statement with "the first time". You sniveling bitch.

You quoted him out of context to make a point that was utter bullshit. It's what you do. It's what you always do. It's why you have the reputation you do.

Bowser 06-24-2015 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11563664)

Nice. Staley is a beautiful course, but the ****ing greens are ridiculous. Good place for a reception; great clubhouse and bar. Buddy of mine just moved in there. Looking forward to golfing Staley from time to time...

scho63 06-24-2015 11:57 AM

I'm heading to the Quicken Loans National event at Robert Trent Jones golf course at Lake Manassas, here in Northern Virginia to watch the final round in late July-early August. I play at the public sister course next door, Stonewall Golf Club at Lake Manassas. http://www.stonewallgolfclub.com/
It's a beautiful course and there are many views of the RTJ course while you are playing. Their greens are so green and always watered by hand, bunkers look so pristine and perfect with white sand, and rarely see too many members playing.

I'll post some course pictures once I return

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-24-2015 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 11564242)
Nice. Staley is a beautiful course, but the ****ing greens are ridiculous. Good place for a reception; great clubhouse and bar. Buddy of mine just moved in there. Looking forward to golfing Staley from time to time...

Those greens were not fun for me at all, but I always played it with college rust on, where I basically didn't set foot on a golf course for four years. It ate my lunch every time.

I hate that first hole. The tee shot just doesn't suit my eye at all. I've hit everything from gap wedge to 3-iron into that green.

OnTheWarpath15 06-24-2015 03:59 PM

Any recommendations for a course to play in KC/Surrounding Area that won't break the bank on a Saturday morning?

Best I've found so far is Stone Canyon. Anyone played it recently? I heard it was a mess last year but may be under new ownership?

kstater 06-24-2015 04:26 PM

****Official Golf Thread****

New management. The banks always owned it. Old management company was run poorly by a someone who's thoughts didn't jive with reality, hand stringing those running the place. don't know anything about the new one other than second hand rumors of what the budget was gonna be(not much better than other)

Kman34 06-24-2015 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 11564748)
Any recommendations for a course to play in KC/Surrounding Area that won't break the bank on a Saturday morning?

Best I've found so far is Stone Canyon. Anyone played it recently? I heard it was a mess last year but may be under new ownership?

You might find a deal on Golfnow.com...I'm a member at Liberty Hills, they have a good membership deal....$49.00 a month and you can play at Staley on Tuesdays for a cart fee and other courses too like Drumm Farm during the week.

srvy 06-24-2015 06:14 PM

Anyone played Winterstone off 291 on top the old limestone quarries near sugar creek? I have worked near there looks like pretty nice course and if your playing around 4 pm you get a rumble from underground dynamite detonation blasting out rock face.

srvy 06-24-2015 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kman34 (Post 11564807)
You might find a deal on Golfnow.com...I'm a member at Liberty Hills, they have a good membership deal....$49.00 a month and you can play at Staley on Tuesdays for a cart fee and other courses too like Drumm Farm during the week.

I played Liberty Hills long ago in HS. I hear they completely redid greens, fairways bunkers and sand traps. Was working out that was and drovew a bit around it looked ok.

Kman34 06-24-2015 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 11564953)
I played Liberty Hills long ago in HS. I hear they completely redid greens, fairways bunkers and sand traps. Was working out that was and drovew a bit around it looked ok.

Winterstone is very nice....need a cart,hilly, greens are ok...fairways are in nice shape..Some elevated tee boxes... Bar / Snack area is very nice, have went there just to have a beer with friends because I live just across the river and its close.

Liberty Hills is in ok shape...the back nine was re-soded with zoysia strips. The greens are the best shape I have ever seen them in. What you heard about the bunkers is false. They suck...need a lot more sand..most are a mix of dirt and sand. Hard to play out of. The worst bunkers I have ever seen..

srvy 06-24-2015 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kman34 (Post 11565029)
Winterstone is very nice....need a cart,hilly, greens are ok...fairways are in nice shape..Some elevated tee boxes... Bar / Snack area is very nice, have went there just to have a beer with friends because I live just across the river and its close.

Liberty Hills is in ok shape...the back nine was re-soded with zoysia strips. The greens are the best shape I have ever seen them in. What you heard about the bunkers is false. They suck...need a lot more sand..most are a mix of dirt and sand. Hard to play out of. The worst bunkers I have ever seen..

Thats to bad on LH's I was there looking around right after the finnished working on them 2006 or 7. Sounds like they are not doing maintenance on them.

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-24-2015 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kman34 (Post 11565029)

Liberty Hills used to be in really good shape around 2003-04. I played there several times during that period.

I don't know how they've done since then. The decline in golf hurt them, and Staley poached some of their membership, plus didn't their clubhouse burn down a while back?

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-24-2015 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 11564950)
Anyone played Winterstone off 291 on top the old limestone quarries near sugar creek? I have worked near there looks like pretty nice course and if your playing around 4 pm you get a rumble from underground dynamite detonation blasting out rock face.

I worked a tournament there two years ago, but have never played it.

philfree 06-24-2015 10:35 PM

I have a chance to play A course in Newton, Ks called Sand Creek Station. It looks killer from their website. Anybody have any info on that? Or I could do Willowbend In Wichita.

http://www.sandcreekgolfclub.com/

Bowser 06-29-2015 05:55 PM

Oh shit. Lefty, Lefty, Lefty.....

Phil Mickelson wired millions of dollars to a middleman, who then laundered that money as part of "an illegal gambling operation which accepted and placed bets on sporting events," according to a report from ESPN's Outside the Lines.

According to the report, Mickelson transferred the money to 56-year-old Greg Silveira of La Quinta, Calif., who has pleaded guilty to three federal counts of money laundering as part of a plea deal. Silveira pled guilty to laundering $2.75 million that he says belonged to Mickelson, according to the report.

The plea deal centers around three wire transfers from March 2010 to February 2013 connected to Silveira. In 2010, Silveira first accepted a $2.75 million wire transfer into a Wells Fargo Bank account from a "gambling client," identified in the report as Mickelson. That money was then transferred in two installments – first $2.475 million, then $275,000 – into another of Silveira's bank accounts. Finally, Silveira transferred $2.475 million into another account he controlled with JP Morgan Chase Bank. Those transfers constitute money laundering.

Silveira will be sentenced on Oct. 5 and could face up to 60 years in prison, though a much shorter sentence is expected.

Federal prosecutors, Silveira's lawyer, Mickelson and his attorneys, as well the PGA Tour all declined to comment on the case.

Mickelson is golf's highest paid player, taking in an estimated $51 million in 2014 from both on-course prize money and endorsements with companies including Callaway Golf, Barclays, KPMG, Exxon Mobil, Rolex and Amgen. He is known to routinely play in big-money side games on the PGA Tour. He is also remembered for his piece of a preseason bet on the Baltimore Ravens as a 22-to-1 shot to win the Super Bowl before the 2000 season. They won their first Super Bowl that year in a 34-7 romp of the New York Giants.

In 2014, Mickelson's name surfaced in a federal investigation related to two instances of potential insider trading involving billionaire investor Carl Icahn and legendary sports gambler Billy Walters. Mickelson was cleared in one of those cases, but it's unclear if the second investigation is still ongoing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-d...4645-golf.html

philfree 06-30-2015 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 11572752)
Oh shit. Lefty, Lefty, Lefty.....

Phil Mickelson wired millions of dollars to a middleman, who then laundered that money as part of "an illegal gambling operation which accepted and placed bets on sporting events," according to a report from ESPN's Outside the Lines.

According to the report, Mickelson transferred the money to 56-year-old Greg Silveira of La Quinta, Calif., who has pleaded guilty to three federal counts of money laundering as part of a plea deal. Silveira pled guilty to laundering $2.75 million that he says belonged to Mickelson, according to the report.

The plea deal centers around three wire transfers from March 2010 to February 2013 connected to Silveira. In 2010, Silveira first accepted a $2.75 million wire transfer into a Wells Fargo Bank account from a "gambling client," identified in the report as Mickelson. That money was then transferred in two installments – first $2.475 million, then $275,000 – into another of Silveira's bank accounts. Finally, Silveira transferred $2.475 million into another account he controlled with JP Morgan Chase Bank. Those transfers constitute money laundering.

Silveira will be sentenced on Oct. 5 and could face up to 60 years in prison, though a much shorter sentence is expected.

Federal prosecutors, Silveira's lawyer, Mickelson and his attorneys, as well the PGA Tour all declined to comment on the case.

Mickelson is golf's highest paid player, taking in an estimated $51 million in 2014 from both on-course prize money and endorsements with companies including Callaway Golf, Barclays, KPMG, Exxon Mobil, Rolex and Amgen. He is known to routinely play in big-money side games on the PGA Tour. He is also remembered for his piece of a preseason bet on the Baltimore Ravens as a 22-to-1 shot to win the Super Bowl before the 2000 season. They won their first Super Bowl that year in a 34-7 romp of the New York Giants.

In 2014, Mickelson's name surfaced in a federal investigation related to two instances of potential insider trading involving billionaire investor Carl Icahn and legendary sports gambler Billy Walters. Mickelson was cleared in one of those cases, but it's unclear if the second investigation is still ongoing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-d...4645-golf.html

I'll never understand how theses guys can be so stupid. You've got it made in life with more money than you can spend so let's go do some illegal shit and jeopardize everything you've ever done. It's jackass. I'm far from rich but I have enough that I want to do my business as legal as possible because I actually have something to lose.

GloryDayz 06-30-2015 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 11573680)
I'll never understand how theses guys can be so stupid. You've got it made in life with more money than you can spend so let's go do some illegal shit and jeopardize everything you've ever done. It's jackass. I'm far from rich but I have enough that I want to do my business as legal as possible because I actually have something to lose.

Yup..

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-30-2015 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 11573680)

It's recklessness. He's reckless on the golf course and reckless off of it.

I believe that on his first date with his wife he took her up in a plane and put it in an intentional stall. Phil is an addict. He's addicted to action. Tiger, it seems, is addicted to strange pussy.

McIlroy called off his engagement with Wozniacky because he was banging some girl on a glass table and it broke, cutting the shit out of his arms. As a result, he played the text tournament, in warm weather, in full sleeves.

Hootie 06-30-2015 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11573701)
It's recklessness. He's reckless on the golf course and reckless off of it.

I believe that on his first date with his wife he took her up in a plane and put it in an intentional stall. Phil is an addict. He's addicted to action. Tiger, it seems, is addicted to strange pussy.

McIlroy called off his engagement with Wozniacky because he was banging some girl on a glass table and it broke, cutting the shit out of his arms. As a result, he played the text tournament, in warm weather, in full sleeves.

Hey man, I have nothing against Phil Mickelson or if he has a gambling problem ... nothing wrong with that LMAO If he wants to gamble his money, he should be able to gamble his money.

...but what do Tiger and Rory have to do with this? You are just trying to defend your boy, I guess.

GloryDayz 06-30-2015 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie 2.0 (Post 11573770)
Hey man, I have nothing against Phil Mickelson or if he has a gambling problem ... nothing wrong with that LMAO If he wants to gamble his money, he should be able to gamble his money.

...but what do Tiger and Rory have to do with this? You are just trying to defend your boy, I guess.

I'm not thinking he's defending anybody, I took it as a suggestion of a trend with a large number of the filthy rich.

Hootie 06-30-2015 12:43 PM

well hell, think about it

Mickelson is SO GOOD at golf, I bet the only thrill he gets is when he's either playing for a major, or playing for BIG $$$

It's like you or me playing in a free fantasy league or a free poker tourney with no prize money ... who cares, right?

Seriously ... if Phil is getting into trouble for gambling through a bookie or what not, who cares?

Hootie 06-30-2015 12:52 PM

In 5 years I hope to god sports betting is legal, everywhere (even in stadiums) and that online ****ing poker is legal again, too

my life would improve