ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football The 49ers have expressed to others that a deal for QB Alex Smith is effectively DONE (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270361)

mnchiefsguy 02-25-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9437557)
To compare Alex Smith's % of deep throws, well...it's basically identical to Cassel in 2010. 1 pass over 20 yards every 10 or 11 attempts.

But...Cassel and Alex Smith are not supposed to be the same....

Hopefully Reid sees the similarities.

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-25-2013 05:57 PM

**** Alex Smith in the ass already...
Posted via Mobile Device

O.city 02-25-2013 05:58 PM

So what did I miss in here?

SAUTO 02-25-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin49 (Post 9437553)
LOL.

Nice.

Welcome to cp
Posted via Mobile Device

Imon Yourside 02-25-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin49 (Post 9437516)
Hi All....I've been following this thread since the rumor hit and haven't been able to post till now. Full disclosure...I'm a Niner fan.

No smack talk or anything like that. I just figured I'd give you a little history on Alex.

First off, I'm not going to try and sell you on what he isn't. He is not Peyton Manning/Tom Brady. Obviously. He won't ever be one of those guys. What he is tho is a far, far better QB than anyone has given him credit for. I'm not going to try to sell you on the fact that he's the greatest QB ever. If he were, Kaep would never have seen the field and the Niners wouldn't have looked into Manning.

Positives: He's a TOUGH kid who works his a$$ off. He's exteremely smart (and that a bonus and a neg as I'll explain). He doesn't have a rocket, but he has a stronger arm than people give him credit for. He can definitely get the ball downfield. He will make the right call at the line just about every time getting the team into the right formation. Its like having a coach on the field. He is very accurate on the short to intermediate routes.

Negatives: That intelligence. He sometimes has "paralysis through analysis". Early on his college coach (Urban Meyer) said he was "non-functional" until he learned an offense backwards and forwards. He will wait until he's sure to throw which early on led to some incompletions or to getting the ball to a guy just as he's being hit. He has issues with the long ball down the sideline. He typically overthrows these passes. Its not arm strength...I think it's an extension of not wanting to make a mistake so he consistantly overthrows that pass. Down the middle tho he is just fine...especially to the TEs.

Something happened to Alex tho in 2010 (Pre-Harbaugh). In the infamous "We Want Carr" game vs Philly on National Television...something snapped. It was like he just stopped giving a sh*t what people thought of him. He had a BAD first half...but sometime in the second half there he just started winging it like crazy. He turned off the "afraid to make a mistake" gene or something.

Since that game....Alex Smith Stats....

34 Games (Including Playoffs), 910 Att, 583 Comp, 6710 Yards, 46 Tds, 13 INTs, 97.09 QB Rating.

He's simply been a different guy.

Alot of this can be attributed to Jim Harbaugh and Greg Roman. Other than Norv Turner who Alex had for only a year, this was the first time he really had any support from the organization...and he's responded.

Some of you can make the point that its all Harbaugh...and that may very well be true as Harbaugh QBs have ALWAYS succeeded. Josh Johnson At USD. Andrew Luck at Stanford. Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick in SF.

The question tho is whether or not those QBs CONTINUE to succeed when no longer under his mentorship. Josh Johnson hasn't been able to continue that success, but he had a big jump in competition from his college level to the pros. Andrew Luck seems to be making that transition nicely.

Personally I think Alex will be very good with Andy Reid.

No offense but I think you would be better off peddling this information to any other unsuspecting fanbase. We've seen it all as far as other teams retreads, if it ain't Joe Montana it generally is pure suckage.

The Franchise 02-25-2013 06:01 PM

Seriously.....I don't see anyway where Reid and Dorsey can look at Alex Smith and think that he can win them a Superbowl. If they do.....then they won't be here long.

His best ****ing year was 3100 yards, 17 TDs and 5 INTs.

Hammock Parties 02-25-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 9437571)
But...Cassel and Alex Smith are not supposed to be the same....

Hopefully Reid sees the similarities.

They're not.

Cassel has no accuracy.

Alex Smith's short range accuracy is pretty good. Apparently.

PFF compares him to Matt Schaub over the last two seasons.

We all know what that gets you.

Marvin49 02-25-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9437570)
He isn't a winner. Those 34 games are basically 2 of matt cassel's 2010 seasons.........check down / junk yards ...... surrounded by a pretty decent overall team....that is making HIM better...

What we need, and the 'academy' here at CP has thoroughly convinced me of is a QB who makes everyone else better around him......not one who can do ok if everything else is flawless...

Honestly **** all options other than getting a QB who improves everyone else and makes everyone better around him.

I'm gonna do yard work this year.

Well....

EVERYONE wants that.

Unfortunately there just aren't that many guys like that available.

Chief_For_Life58 02-25-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin49 (Post 9437516)
Hi All....I've been following this thread since the rumor hit and haven't been able to post till now. Full disclosure...I'm a Niner fan.

No smack talk or anything like that. I just figured I'd give you a little history on Alex.

First off, I'm not going to try and sell you on what he isn't. He is not Peyton Manning/Tom Brady. Obviously. He won't ever be one of those guys. What he is tho is a far, far better QB than anyone has given him credit for. I'm not going to try to sell you on the fact that he's the greatest QB ever. If he were, Kaep would never have seen the field and the Niners wouldn't have looked into Manning.

Positives: He's a TOUGH kid who works his a$$ off. He's exteremely smart (and that a bonus and a neg as I'll explain). He doesn't have a rocket, but he has a stronger arm than people give him credit for. He can definitely get the ball downfield. He will make the right call at the line just about every time getting the team into the right formation. Its like having a coach on the field. He is very accurate on the short to intermediate routes.

Negatives: That intelligence. He sometimes has "paralysis through analysis". Early on his college coach (Urban Meyer) said he was "non-functional" until he learned an offense backwards and forwards. He will wait until he's sure to throw which early on led to some incompletions or to getting the ball to a guy just as he's being hit. He has issues with the long ball down the sideline. He typically overthrows these passes. Its not arm strength...I think it's an extension of not wanting to make a mistake so he consistantly overthrows that pass. Down the middle tho he is just fine...especially to the TEs.

Something happened to Alex tho in 2010 (Pre-Harbaugh). In the infamous "We Want Carr" game vs Philly on National Television...something snapped. It was like he just stopped giving a sh*t what people thought of him. He had a BAD first half...but sometime in the second half there he just started winging it like crazy. He turned off the "afraid to make a mistake" gene or something.

Since that game....Alex Smith Stats....

34 Games (Including Playoffs), 910 Att, 583 Comp, 6710 Yards, 46 Tds, 13 INTs, 97.09 QB Rating.

He's simply been a different guy.

Alot of this can be attributed to Jim Harbaugh and Greg Roman. Other than Norv Turner who Alex had for only a year, this was the first time he really had any support from the organization...and he's responded.

Some of you can make the point that its all Harbaugh...and that may very well be true as Harbaugh QBs have ALWAYS succeeded. Josh Johnson At USD. Andrew Luck at Stanford. Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick in SF.

The question tho is whether or not those QBs CONTINUE to succeed when no longer under his mentorship. Josh Johnson hasn't been able to continue that success, but he had a big jump in competition from his college level to the pros. Andrew Luck seems to be making that transition nicely.

Personally I think Alex will be very good with Andy Reid.

develop a time machine, go back in time and have both your grand parents go and get abortions.

SPATCH 02-25-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin49 (Post 9437612)
Well....

EVERYONE wants that.

Unfortunately there just aren't that many guys like that available.

Geno Smith, playboy.

htismaqe 02-25-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9437602)
Seriously.....I don't see anyway where Reid and Dorsey can look at Alex Smith and think that he can win them a Superbowl. If they do.....then they won't be here long.

His best ****ing year was 3100 yards, 17 TDs and 5 INTs.

That's the way I look at it.

If they bring in Smith, they're already working themselves out of job.

Marvin49 02-25-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9437591)
No offense but I think you would be better off peddling this information to any other unsuspecting fanbase. We've seen it all as far as other teams retreads, if it ain't Joe Montana it generally is pure suckage.

I get the hesitation.

I'm not even guaranteeing he'll be great...I was just trying to give you an idea of what you'd be getting if the rumors are true.

I'd take Alex back in a second if he were willing to be Kaeps backup. Alex didn't lose his job because he underperformed. He lost his job because Kaep is just ridiculously good.

htismaqe 02-25-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin49 (Post 9437626)
I get the hesitation.

I'm not even guaranteeing he'll be great...I was just trying to give you an idea of what you'd be getting if the rumors are true.

I'd take Alex back in a second if he were willing to be Kaeps backup. Alex didn't lose his job because he underperformed. He lost his job because Kaep is just ridiculously good.

There's no hesitation.

We don't ****ing want him.

The Franchise 02-25-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin49 (Post 9437626)
I get the hesitation.

He absolutely lost his job because he underperformed. If Alex Smith performed like a true #1 pick....then Harbaugh wouldn't have had to draft his replacement in the 2nd round. Smith is only 27 years old. If he was a true franchise QB.....he wouldn't have made it to free agency more than once.

Marvin49 02-25-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 9437623)
Geno Smith, playboy.

uh....

If you say so. I'm not convinced. It's not that I don't like him, I'm just not convinced he's one of "those" guys.