ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV HBO greenlights A Game of Thrones pilot! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=196570)

Frazod 07-28-2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6903223)
I need to read Dune. I've been meaning to get to it and I just keep finding other things, and bumping it further and further down my list. It might have to wait until I'm done with this series.

Just got back from the book store. A Clash Of Kings has now been purchased. Hopefully, I'll get to in the next couple of weeks.

You really should bump that up on your list. Dune is a fantastic book and generally regarded as the best science fiction book of all time. DO NOT JUDGE IT BY THE SHIT-SUCKING MOVIE OR MINI-SERIES. I hope you have never seen them. If you haven't, DON'T.

Unfortunately, Herbert only hit it out of the park once. The series goes downhill fast. I have tried on occasion to get through the fourth installment many times over the past three decades, and have never been able to make it. The supplemental stories written by his son, Brian, based on his original notes, are generally entertaining, but none of them come close to the original masterwork.

Red Brooklyn 07-28-2010 03:26 PM

Cool, man. Thanks for the review. I'll bump it up. I have not seen the movie or the series.

Frazod 07-28-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6903417)
Cool, man. Thanks for the review. I'll bump it up. I have not seen the movie or the series.

That movie is a crime against humanity. :# Don't ever watch it.

Red Brooklyn 07-28-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 6903476)
That movie is a crime against humanity. :# Don't ever watch it.

:)

I can't promise you that, unfortunately. I'm a massive David Lynch fan. And the only reason I haven't watched the movie is because I was waiting to read the book first. One of these days I'll have to see it, if only to complete the collection. So to speak.

Frazod 07-28-2010 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6903480)
:)

I can't promise you that, unfortunately. I'm a massive David Lynch fan. And the only reason I haven't watched the movie is because I was waiting to read the book first. One of these days I'll have to see it, if only to complete the collection. So to speak.

You might not be a Lynch fan for long after you see what he did to one of the greatest books ever written.

Personally, I have never watched anything else he did after that. If the sonofabitch made a movie about me I wouldn't watch it.

Red Brooklyn 07-28-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 6903498)
You might not be a Lynch fan for long after you see what he did to one of the greatest books ever written.

Personally, I have never watched anything else he did after that. If the sonofabitch made a movie about me I wouldn't watch it.

ROFL

Huffmeister 07-28-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 6903380)
You really should bump that up on your list. Dune is a fantastic book and generally regarded as the best science fiction book of all time. DO NOT JUDGE IT BY THE SHIT-SUCKING MOVIE OR MINI-SERIES. I hope you have never seen them. If you haven't, DON'T.

Unfortunately, Herbert only hit it out of the park once. The series goes downhill fast. I have tried on occasion to get through the fourth installment many times over the past three decades, and have never been able to make it. The supplemental stories written by his son, Brian, based on his original notes, are generally entertaining, but none of them come close to the original masterwork.

That was pretty much my assessment of the Dune series. Dune is probably my favorite sci-fi novel. The second one wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible. I tried reading the third one but it just got way too weird. And from the synopses I've read of the rest of the series, it only gets weirder after that.

Oh, and they're remaking Dune AGAIN. Check it out:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1160419/

keg in kc 07-28-2010 05:36 PM

Ironically I made this post a few hours ago and apparently neglected to hit 'enter':

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 6903208)
It reminds me of Dune.

And that's a good thing.

I think that you'll discover that, unlike Dune, the books remain relatively true to the original as you go forward in the series. I know that, at least for me, Herbert's books (while still good) grow increasingly difficult to read the further away from Dune you get. Although, unfortunately, as we've mentioned earlier in the thread, the threat of a Chapterhouse: Dune situation is possible, where the author dies before he can finish the series (on a massive cliffhanger to boot).

Red Brooklyn 07-29-2010 08:21 AM

I hope he (Martin) is, at least, keeping notes or a writing journal or something. You would think HBO wouldn't have commited to the project unless they were confident that he'd finish, right?

Frazod 08-04-2010 08:23 AM

I'm nearly 2/3rds of the way through now. Great book. Dune is a great comparison to this. Things look pretty bleak for Ned right now - he's definitely giving off Duke Leto vibes.

Bowser 08-13-2010 01:39 AM

I'm doing the audio book version of this. The story has dramatically picked up; the sheer amount of backstory and character development drug on quite awhile, but it's getting good. Anyone else listened to the audio version?

Miles 08-13-2010 02:01 AM

[QUOTE=Bowser;6931360]I'm doing the audio book version of this. The story has dramatically picked up; the sheer amount of backstory and character development drug on quite awhile, but it's getting good. Anyone else listened to the audio version?[/QUOTE

I am guilty of listening to audiobooks quite a lot during my commute or working out. This series is pure literary crack on print.

TrickyNicky 08-13-2010 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 6931360)
I'm doing the audio book version of this. The story has dramatically picked up; the sheer amount of backstory and character development drug on quite awhile, but it's getting good. Anyone else listened to the audio version?

Yes. Roy Dotrice does a great job. Unfortunately his health wouldn't allow him to do the fourth audiobook.

Frazod 08-13-2010 08:29 AM

I'm about a third of the way through the second book. Wonderful story, although I do wish he wasn't quite so Stephen King-like with the minutiae.

TrickyNicky 08-13-2010 08:34 AM

Are you talking about the heraldry?