ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Home brewing (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=239009)

Ming the Merciless 11-12-2011 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crispystl420 (Post 8102124)
Ok just put my first wort in the fermenter. We'll see how it turns out.

conrats and rep

crispystl 11-12-2011 06:00 PM

Thanks

I just have one question... the only way i have to keep the temp stable is to ferment it in the house I have it in one of those soft coolers zipped up almost all the way. Could this be risking a huge mess?I'm going out of town for a week and I don't want that shit to explode all over my house lol.

Ming the Merciless 11-12-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crispystl420 (Post 8102162)
Thanks

I just have one question... the only way i have to keep the temp stable is to ferment it in the house I have it in one of those soft coolers zipped up almost all the way. Could this be risking a huge mess?I'm going out of town for a week and I don't want that shit to explode all over my house lol.

Well, the fermetation (primary) is pretty violent, and can blow pretty good....

I once left for a few days and it blew just hard enough to blow all the water out of my air water -lock, and ruined a batch...i dont think you could make too much of a mess tho besides a little spilled brew

If you are past the violent stage, you SHOULD be ok....maybe just leave your heater at like 61 ?

When are you leaving??

Ming the Merciless 11-12-2011 06:08 PM

Also you could build a bigger fermentaion lock thats more fail proof:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...ck-Not-a-ball/

crispystl 11-12-2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 8102175)
Well, the fermetation (primary) is pretty violent, and can blow pretty good....

I once left for a few days and it blew just hard enough to blow all the water out of my air water -lock, and ruined a batch...i dont think you could make too much of a mess tho besides a little spilled brew

If you are past the violent stage, you SHOULD be ok....maybe just leave your heater at like 61 ?

When are you leaving??

I'll be leaving Friday afternoon. I think having it zipped in the soft cooler should prevent any major explosions. Hopefully if anything happens it will be contained in the cooler.

Ming the Merciless 11-12-2011 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crispystl420 (Post 8102200)
I'll be leaving Friday afternoon. I think having it zipped in the soft cooler should prevent any major explosions. Hopefully if anything happens it will be contained in the cooler.

you should be good by then, especially if you build/use a larger water lock like the one above

crispystl 11-13-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 8102738)
you should be good by then, especially if you build/use a larger water lock like the one above

Cool thanks man

DMAC 01-31-2012 02:23 PM

Poured my first glass of dry hopped California Common/ Steam beer.

It is a hopped up version of Anchor Steam. I kept my house at 65 degrees for 3 weeks for this beer to ferment properly. Now I can finally reap the rewards (and turn up the thermostat).

I highly recommend dry hopping if you love that flowery aroma.

Lzen 01-31-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC (Post 8339146)
Poured my first glass of dry hopped California Common/ Steam beer.

It is a hopped up version of Anchor Steam. I kept my house at 65 degrees for 3 weeks for this beer to ferment properly. Now I can finally reap the rewards (and turn up the thermostat).

I highly recommend dry hopping if you love that flowery aroma.

Sounds great. I need to order a brew kit. Haven't brewed in a few months. Last one I did was an amber ale. I wasn't as fond of it. I think I'll order another brown ale. That one seemed to go over pretty well.

DMAC 01-31-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 8339398)
Sounds great. I need to order a brew kit. Haven't brewed in a few months. Last one I did was an amber ale. I wasn't as fond of it. I think I'll order another brown ale. That one seemed to go over pretty well.

Where do you order from?

KC Dan 01-31-2012 03:44 PM

My son just keg'ed his latest beer (Irish Stout) and when I return from this businees trip, I am looking forward to drinking it. Especially out of my christmas gift to him (kegging gear) :thumb:

Lzen 01-31-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC (Post 8339415)
Where do you order from?

I can't remember the name of the place I first ordered from, but I've been using Midwest Supplies the last few brews.

DMAC 01-31-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 8339433)
I can't remember the name of the place I first ordered from, but I've been using Midwest Supplies the last few brews.

I made this Honey Brown Ale once from The Home Brewery. It was VERY good.

http://www.homebrewery.com/beer/beer-kits-ales.shtml (5th one down)

Bwana 01-31-2012 04:02 PM

Man, I need to knock out a few batches. My carboys are out there collecting dust.

Dartgod 01-31-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 8339454)
Man, I need to knock out a few batches. My carboys are out there collecting dust.

Me too. Been about 3 years since I've brewed.