ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc 13 Things Your Mail Carrier Won’t Tell You (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=241201)

Rain Man 02-04-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7405957)
I play piano in a whorehouse. What difference does it make?

I would think that would take a lot of concentration.

notorious 02-04-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 7405987)
I would think the best part of being a mailman would be riding the horses across the western landscape.

Until you ran into a tyrannical army. Those guys don't play around.

DaFace 02-04-2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7405975)
Well, I think you're underestimating the average Wal Mart worker. They're not stupid people.

So, just to clarify, are you suggesting that the following statement is true?

The average Wal-Mart worker would perform the duties of a USPS mail carrier at a satisfactory level.

(Note that, by average, we're saying that over 50 percent of those working at Wal-Mart would have to qualify.)

luv 02-04-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7405985)
Well, Jesus Christ, at least you finally admitted the possibility that the job might be easy.

I quoted the word easy, because it depends on how you define it in this situation. I can barely stand tailgating when it's cold out, and I have the opportunity to get liquored up there. :) Seriously, I would not like being out walking in the humidity of the summers here or the sub freezing temps of the winter. I would not enjoy walking around in the rain either. To me, that adds a degree of "difficulty" to the job. Right along with being out amongst, not only your customers, but the public in general, and holding to a certain level of customer service at all times. No thanks. I guess I just see those things as difficult because they are not things I would want to do.

Brock 02-04-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7405996)
So, just to clarify, are you suggesting that the following statement is true?

The average Wal-Mart worker would perform the duties of a USPS mail carrier at a satisfactory level.

(Note that, by average, we're saying that over 50 percent of those working at Wal-Mart would have to qualify.)

Sure, why not? What is it about the task of sorting, organizing, and carrying mail from house to house that you think is so difficult? And by qualify, I mean can do the actual job, not pass a civil service exam that has nothing to do with whether you can actually perform the work or not.

DaFace 02-04-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7406001)
Sure, why not? What is it about the task of sorting, organizing, and carrying mail from house to house that you think is so difficult? And by qualify, I mean can do the actual job, not pass a civil service exam that has nothing to do with whether you can actually perform the work or not.

Fair enough. I strongly disagree, but don't really care enough to try and discuss it further.

Rain Man 02-04-2011 12:58 PM

Did you know that before 1850 mail delivery people were also approved to do surgery?

Okay, I just made that up.

luv 02-04-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7406001)

You forget the time factor. You only have so long to get your cases ready. Again, it is production. Also, along with doing it very quickly, you have to have the highest level of quality. People get pissed when they get someone else's mail, etc. Yes, sorting hundreds of pieces of mail is easy. Get it sorted correctly, cased, and ready to go in less than two hours.

luv 02-04-2011 01:02 PM

Okay, I'm done arguing. Brock can go one believing carriers are morons.

Brock 02-04-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7406015)
Okay, I'm done arguing. Brock can go one believing carriers are morons.

I never said that, stupid. I said they're doing a job that you don't have to be educated, or even particularly smart, to do.

Brock 02-04-2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7406012)
You forget the time factor. You only have so long to get your cases ready. Again, it is production. Also, along with doing it very quickly, you have to have the highest level of quality. People get pissed when they get someone else's mail, etc. Yes, sorting hundreds of pieces of mail is easy. Get it sorted correctly, cased, and ready to go in less than two hours.

Yeah, that sounds like something a person of average intelligence could do and in a couple of months they'd have the job dicked.

luv 02-04-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7406021)
I never said that, stupid. I said they're doing a job that you don't have to be educated, or even particularly smart, to do.

It's not stupid, it's sarcasm.

Iowanian 02-04-2011 01:09 PM

My father in law is a farmer, who also works as a rural letter carrier, and I have a couple of uncles who are rural carriers.

This week, with the temps and snow and drifting, I wouldn't want to log the miles they do on weeks like these. I know one of my uncles has been in at least 2 accidents(roll overs) due to bad roads while delivering mail. Neither would tell you that it's a difficult job.

I don't know how it is everywhere but with a few exceptions, in this part of the world they're pretty highly sought after jobs when available. Unless you're a woman, you're not getting a post office job unless you're a veteran.

I wouldn't want my letter carrier on my charity trivia night team, but if I ever need to press a penny without a train, or wanted to try to turn coal into a diamond, i'd ask her to use her butt to try.

luv 02-04-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7406023)
Yeah, that sounds like something a person of average intelligence could do and in a couple of months they'd have the job dicked.

Okay, you win.

Brock 02-04-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7406026)
It's not stupid, it's sarcasm.

I don't think you know what that word means.