ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Miami booster scandal, with Frank Haith mentioned. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=248568)

Bambi 08-17-2011 07:08 PM

I read the story. It sounds more like this was just some little rich white boy who was trying to buy friends more than an organized effort by school officials.

Either way it looks like everyone had a hell of a time.

chiefzilla1501 08-17-2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 7832204)
Front page of ESPN.com, clearly not caring about this story.

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/8789/unledadu.png

For one day.

We'll see if they're still posting at least one front page story per week 8 months afterward.

KChiefs1 08-17-2011 08:40 PM

Haith in hot water, but Alden should not be
Gabe DeArmond posted on August 17, 2011 20:27

I want to be up front in telling you all that I’m not here to decide whether Frank Haith should lose his job or not.* It’s really not my place and I’m glad I don’t have to make the decision.* Instead, I’m going to use this space to defend the guy that does have to make that call.
I’ve seen a lot of debate over the last 24 hours about whether Haith should lose his job.* It’s fair debate.* It’s a question that absolutely has to be asked.* I’ve also seen a lot of debate about whether Mike Alden should lose his job over this.
I thought about it.* At first, I thought it was a fair question.* And, to be honest, my first reaction was that if Haith indeed has to be fired, Alden would have failed and failed miserably in two of his three hires in basketball.* All this after he didn’t exactly roll out the red carpet asking the man who built the program to stick around a few more years.
But since that initial knee-jerk reaction, both the Kansas City Star and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch have published stories stating that more than 20 people gave Missouri their stamp of approval on the Haith hiring in April.* That includes the NCAA, a representative of which told the Star he had no idea Haith was involved in the scandal at Miami until reading the Yahoo! Sports report by Charles Robinson (kudos to Robinson, by the way.* The article is Woodward and Bernstein type stuff).
So the NCAA didn’t know.* His colleagues didn’t know.* But Mike Alden should have known?* Don’t buy it.
It does, however, bring up what may be Alden’s fatal flaw.* I’ll get to that in a minute.
He’s an interesting case.* A polarizing figure to be sure.* Rarely do you see a man who has been responsible for so much good whom so many of his fans want gone.* He has overseen the most successful multi-year run at Mizzou in at least 40 years…and probably ever.* He hired the guy that won more games in a single season and went as far in the NCAA Tournament as any coach in Tiger hoops history.* He has—and I understand this means about as much as the fact that he convinced someone to pay for flavored coffee in the athletic department offices—worked wonders with many of Mizzou’s smaller sports.* But fans seem to point out his mistakes much more often.* And to be fair, there have been a few.
But in discussing Alden—both on the radio and on message boards, and also just with friends—I’ve come across a common thread in these episodes that Tiger fans so often bring up.* Alden seems to trust people a little too easily.* Let me explain on a case-by-case basis:
In 2007, Missouri beat Kansas.* They finished ahead of Kansas in the conference.* Alden felt like that should be enough.* He let his team’s performance do the talking.* Meanwhile, Lew Perkins (wink-wink, nod-nod, nah, he'd never do that, right?) convinced the Orange Bowl he’d bring a billion Kansas fans to South Beach.* The Jayhawks played in the Orange Bowl.* The Tigers went to Dallas.
Last year, Missouri batted its eyelashes at the Big Ten.* The Big Ten winked back.* Jim Delaney held Missouri’s hand and whispered sweet things to Alden (it’s kind of a disturbing analogy, but you get my point).* Many around Missouri were convinced they were going to the Big Ten.* They didn’t.* Nebraska did.* Perhaps it should have taught us all a lesson:* What they say doesn’t count.* It only counts when it’s on paper.
This spring, the lesson had to be learned again.* Mike Anderson was talking to Arkansas.* Most in the Natural State insisted he was taking the job.* Those of us close to Missouri did not.* In fact, we insisted on the opposite.* We did it because the people we trust were telling us that Anderson was staying.* They said that because that’s what he said.* And they trusted him.* You know the saying.* Fool me once, shame on you.* Fool me twice…
Now, has Alden been fooled again?* I don’t know.* I want to be clear I have no idea what really happened in Coral Gables or what Haith has told Alden behind closed doors.* But I know that when I read Charles Robinson’s article, it doesn’t appear to have a whole lot of holes.* I know that a Missouri spokesman told the reporters on the story that Haith had no involvement with Nevin Shapiro and I doubt he said it without asking first.* I know that the NCAA plans on talking to Haith.
So you have to entertain the fact that Haith perhaps wasn’t up front with the Mizzou administration.* You have to wonder if they asked him about Shapiro and he denied even knowing the man.* Until, of course, a story came out with pictures proving they knew each other.* And just in case Shapiro was really good at Photoshop, there were some phone records too.*
Making mistakes is one thing.* And we all know that the kind of mistake Haith is accused of making is the kind that costs coaches careers.* But other coaches can overcome those mistakes and survive.* Often times, it’s not the mistake that buries a man.* It’s the cover-up.
As for Alden?* Perhaps he was misled.* Perhaps he was flat lied to.* It does seem to be something that has happened a little too much for Tiger fans.* In the cutthroat business of college athletics, it appears being too trusting may be a problem.* But it’s not one that should cost Mike Alden his job.* There’s only one person in this story with Tiger ties who should be sweating his future in Columbia.*

I’ll give you a hint:

It isn’t Alden.

HonestChieffan 08-17-2011 08:45 PM

Alden already has his cover stories? Damn guy is good.

mnchiefsguy 08-17-2011 08:55 PM

Both Alden and Haith should be fired immediately.

KcMizzou 08-17-2011 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 7832477)
Alden already has his cover stories? Damn guy is good.

Not at all. I'm pretty sure he had no idea.

Alden's greatest fault has been that he trusts everybody and everything. He's been gullible... a rube. And Mizzou gets used.

ohiobronco2 08-17-2011 08:59 PM

ESPN targets Ohio St. because of $. It's that simple. They are a polarizing school, if they put out a story OSU fans rush to defend their school and other fans rush to take some joy out of OSU misery. If you want the cycle to end, stop visiting that sh*t site of theirs. They are Pro SEC and Texas.

Brock 08-17-2011 09:02 PM

I never realized OSU had such whiney fans.

ohiobronco2 08-17-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7832522)

Spoiled too. That's what happens when you have overly high expectations.

LiveSteam 08-17-2011 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohiobronco2 (Post 7832536)
Spoiled too. That's what happens when you have overly high expectations.

Who will be OSU starting Q/B when you bring it to Lincoln ?

chiefzilla1501 08-17-2011 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveSteam (Post 7832566)

Braxton Miller is going to be better than Pryor. But he's going to have a tough year in 2011.

chiefzilla1501 08-17-2011 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7832522)

Meh. Polarizing. Can call fans whiney, but most fan bases would be when there are a lot of haters. We're not talking about "Oh, I kind of hate Mark Sanchez." We're talking about a whole country that hates OSU like we hate the Raiders.

And the media plays to that. Especially ESPN. I get that. I just find it comical when people pretend that that doesn't happen. I just think ESPN does it far more shamelessly than any other outlet.

ohiobronco2 08-17-2011 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveSteam (Post 7832566)

Nobody here really has a clue. Everyone (fans) wants it to be Braxton Miller, but I would expect Joe Bauserman would get the nod initially. OSU will have a really strong rushing attack this year, but you know how great one dimensional teams are. I will state that OSU will have a D that rivals Nebraska, no matter who they lose year after year, they still produce. I'm happy to have Nebraska in the Big Ten and can't wait for this game.

FloridaMan88 08-17-2011 09:24 PM

As a Miami alumnus, my reaction is disgust, and just get this over with. Spare us the year long "investigation" and just lay down the punishment already.

I don't think the NCAA will give the Death Penalty because of how they saw it turn into a 20+ year punishment for SMU, rather than its original intention to be a 4-5 year punishment.

I think probably an enhanced version of what USC got... multiple year bowl ban, scholarship reductions and maybe a TV ban for a year or two.

KcMizzou 08-17-2011 09:27 PM

I can't wait to see the 30 for 30 about this.