ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Music Which was most influential (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263685)

DaneMcCloud 09-15-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 8912307)
The Beatles or Elvis Presley.

Only a Deejay would confuse the influence of these two artists.

Visit any Pro Audio/Engineering/Producing forum, whether it's Gearslutz or ProSoundWeb or Dave's Place or PSW and do a web search on Elvis or The Beatles. You'll get literally TEN MILLION threads about the Beatles, their recording process, overdubbing process, questions and answers from guys like Ken Scott and so on.

You'll find very few about Elvis.

Elvis was an AMAZING entertainer. He was and still is the coolest singer/frontman of all time, IMO. He's been copies but never duplicated. The man was a True Original.

The Beatles, on the other hand, not only changed popular music forever, they changed the way popular music was recorded and delivered. From syncing up multiple four-track machines to Abbey Road to George Martin to their competitive nature (Sgt. Peppers was a direct response to Pet Sounds) to visiting the Maharishi to using acid to expand their minds, to the British Invasion to the introduction of Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters and countless other "American" artists, The Beatles influence is unparalled.

I could spend hours commenting on innovations in sound recording and songwriting as it pertains to The Beatles but I won't. This is not the proper forum.

Dr. Johnny Fever 09-15-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8913241)
No, they didn't.

The Seattle sound had been developing for the latter half of the 80's. Bands like Green River, Mudhoney and Soundgarden and so on. Soundgarden's "Badmotorfinger" was released in 1991 as well. The quintessential album of the 90's, IMO was Temple of the Dog, and it was released in 1990.

Pearl Jam was created from the bones of Green River and Mother Love Bone. While I believe that Pearl Jam ecompasses all that is early 90's "Grunge", Nirvana didn't start the trend.

Again, I fully disagree. And as far as "paying attention", you couldn't be further from the truth, especially since I began working for Uni in 1993.

Yes Nirvana did. I don't care what other bands did before them. Nirvana changed the landscape. Those other bands didn't. It's pretty simple.

Show me where your other examples changed the landscape of music... then or ever.

DaneMcCloud 09-15-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 8913257)
Yes Nirvana did. I don't care what other bands did before them. Nirvana changed the landscape. Those other bands didn't. It's pretty simple.

No, they didn't.

You know who changed the "Landscape"? Geffen Records.

Not Nirvana.

Dr. Johnny Fever 09-15-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8913256)
Only a Deejay would confuse the influence of these two artists.Visit any Pro Audio/Engineering/Producing forum, whether it's Gearslutz or ProSoundWeb or Dave's Place or PSW and do a web search on Elvis or The Beatles. You'll get literally TEN MILLION threads about the Beatles, their recording process, overdubbing process, questions and answers from guys like Ken Scott and so on.

You'll find very few about Elvis.

Elvis was an AMAZING entertainer. He was and still is the coolest singer/frontman of all time, IMO. He's been copies but never duplicated. The man was a True Original.

The Beatles, on the other hand, not only changed popular music forever, they changed the way popular music was recorded and delivered. From syncing up multiple four-track machines to Abbey Road to George Martin to their competitive nature (Sgt. Peppers was a direct response to Pet Sounds) to visiting the Maharishi to using acid to expand their minds, to the British Invasion to the introduction of Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters and countless other "American" artists, The Beatles influence is unparalled.

Yeah that's what this is about. I swear if you were any dumber you couldn't even wright the english language.

DaneMcCloud 09-15-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 8913257)
Show me where your other examples changed the landscape of music... then or ever.

The Beatles. Led Zeppelin.

But most importantly, Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss.

Why and who you ask? A&M Records.

I'll leave it up to you who I'm referring to and how it changed the music business forever.

Dr. Johnny Fever 09-15-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8913259)
No, they didn't.

You know who changed the "Landscape"? Geffen Records.

Not Nirvana.

LMAO

Some people here just argue so they can look smart in their own minds. Show me the Geffen Records album genius.

DaneMcCloud 09-15-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 8913265)
LMAO

Some people here just argue so they can look smart in their own minds. Show me the Geffen Records album genius.

Joking, right?

How long have you been in this business that you don't know that Geffen broke Nirvana?

JFC Dude, half the A&R people in this town were fired after Nirvana blew up because they had all heard Bleach and dismissed it as crap!

Seriously, you're out of your element. If you'd like me to embarrass you, fine. That wasn't my original intention.

Dr. Johnny Fever 09-15-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8913261)
The Beatles. Led Zeppelin.

But most importantly, Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss.

Why and who you ask? A&M Records.

I'll leave it up to you who I'm referring to and how it changed the music business forever.

The Beatles. Imagine that considering the thread topic.

Jerry Moss is right up there with the Beatles and Elvis though.

Seriously you and a few others should get a point now and then.

tk13 09-15-2012 10:23 PM

It's gotta be the Beatles. You could probably spend hours talking about how they changed music.

And I would give a nod to the Beach Boys as well. I've heard various artists refer to them positively. To tie it back to the prog thread believe it or not... I've heard the keyboardist of Genesis, Tony Banks, mention the Beach Boys in interviews before. Obviously musically it would seem a million miles apart, but I've seen him mention how the Beach Boys would do musically complex things and make them sound very simple, among other things. So you never know.

DaneMcCloud 09-15-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 8913271)
Seriously you and a few others should get a point now and then.

Get a point? WTF?

I love how some small town hick Deejay thinks he knows everything about the music business.

It's sad and kinda funny at the same time.

Dr. Johnny Fever 09-15-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8913270)
Joking, right?

How long have you been in this business that you don't know that Geffen broke Nirvana?

JFC Dude, half the A&R people in this town were fired after Nirvana blew up because they had all heard Bleach and dismissed it as crap!

Seriously, you're out of your element. If you'd like me to embarrass you, fine. That wasn't my original intention.

This was never and isnt about labels dumbass. But if thats the card you have to play then go for it. Whatever makes you feel your arguement is right.

I've seen stupid before... then I've seen CP morons fighting to the last possible point.

Dr. Johnny Fever 09-15-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8913275)
Get a point? WTF?

I love how some small town hick Deejay thinks he knows everything about the music business.

It's sad and kinda funny at the same time.

I never claimed to know everything. If you can find where I did please enlighten all of us. I program 2 stations. One is in mid Illinois. The other is in Chicago. I do it from hicktown though so feel free to make your idiot assumptions.

DaneMcCloud 09-15-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 8913278)
This was never and isnt about labels dumbass. But if thats the card you have to play then go for it. Whatever makes you feel your arguement is right.

I've seen stupid before... then I've seen CP morons fighting to the last possible point.

The most ridiculous aspect of your assertion is that Seattle grunge, whether it's Nirvana or Soundgarden or Pearl Jam, actually meant anything.

The genre was dead almost as quickly as it began.

Alanis Morrisette had a bigger and longer lasting impact on the music scene than any of the Seattle bands. Soundgarden disbanded in 1997 after a lackluster release, Pearl Jam's appeal faded dramatically after Vs. and Nirvana died when Kurt died.

"Grunge" is nothing more than a footnote in Rock & Roll history. You of ALL people should know that.

The band that benefited the most from the "Alt/Grunge" era was Smashing Pumpkins and even they couldn't sustain it.

MOhillbilly 09-15-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 8913094)
Dude... Pearl Jam is the best of the 3.

Nirvana killed poodle rock and make the 'punk' attitude in music main stream.

Baby Lee 09-15-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 8913278)

Well, the guy IS an audiophile, by which of course I mean he diddles kids. ;)