ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Music Post your top 5 rock bands of all time (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267183)

Molitoth 11-29-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9161449)
My god there's some terrible taste in here.

Korn?
Foreigner?
yes???

How about you all go into your Itunes and look up your most played bands. See what actually comes up.

I've seen worse:

Puddle of Mudd, Nirvana, Disturbed?

loochy 11-29-2012 12:42 PM

Nickelback
Creed
Limp Bizkit
Good Charlotte
Lifehouse

siberian khatru 11-29-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9161585)
to be honest, the more bass I play, the more Noel starts to annoy the shit outta me.

I'd rather have Billy and Buddy.

To me, it goes like this :

Band Of Gypsys>Cry Of Love Band>The Experience.

Flame away.

I had a Facebook friend make that same argument last week.

htismaqe 11-29-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9161598)
Hendrix was pretty good.

To be fair, Hendrix hit it big fronting a bunch of white guys and it's debatable whether it was ever really a "band".

cosmo20002 11-29-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9161565)
I suppose that's a good list if you've never turned on a commercial radio station for the past 40 years.

That was basically the entire playlist at Z-92.

Mr. Kotter 11-29-2012 12:52 PM

Air Supply
Dr. Hook
The Little River Band
Captain and Tennille
Debbie Gibson

Honorable mentions:
Abba
Bread
America
The Beach Boys

LMAO

;)

Seriously, for me:

1. Stones
2. Zepplin
3. The Who
4. AC/DC-Aerosmith (tie)
5. U2-REM (tie)

Honorable mentions: CCR, Doobie Brothers, Boston, The Clash, Pink Floyd, Def Leppard, Talking Heads, REM, the Kinks, the Pretenders, RUSH, Foriegner, Judas Priest, Tom Petty, The Eagles, KISS, Van Halen, ZZ Top, The Police, The Cars, Clapton, INXS, YES, Eurythmics, Guns and Roses, Lenny Kravitz, Sublime, Collective Soul, and many others.

Contenders I'd admit to friends, but not to strangers list: (and some you may not consider "bands"): KC and the Sunshine band, the Gap Band, Parliament, Earth, Wind, and Fire, ELO, Fleetwood Mac, Styx, Queen, REO, Journey, Cheap Trick, The Scorpions, Jefferson Starship, Triumph, Nirvanna, Pearl Jam, Elton John, Prince, Michael Jackson, Madonna, The Cure, New Order, and Bon Jovi. Today, Nickelback, Linkln Park, Eminem, Nelly, Pink, and others.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9161592)
Interesting take. "1983...A Merman I Should Turn to Be" is my favorite Hendrix tune of all time, oddly enough.

that's Jimi on bass (a lot of Electric Ladyland was - Noel is on Crosstown Traffic, Little Miss Strange, Voodoo Child (Slight Return) and Burning of the Midnight Lamp. Jack Casady played on Voodoo Chile, there's no bass on Rainy Day Dream Away or Still Raining Still Dreaming, and Jimi did the rest himself - Mike Finnegan plays a walking bass on the Hammond Organ on Raindy Day and still Raining, and he's actually in the studio w/Trampled Under Foot right now, a little KC connection, fyi)

But that awesome ass bass solo in 1983 is totally Jimi.

Noel Redding was a hack.

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9161592)
I just started playing the bass a few months (after nearly 3 decades on the guitar) and I freaking love it.

Hells yes - I had never really played much before we started DW, and the original plan was for me and Ryan to play guitar, but we couldn't find a bass player, and we were writing songs and gigs were booked, so...crash course.

It's a different mentality than guitar; much more rhythmic, and subtle. The big thing for me was how to not attack a bass the way you might a guitar, like letting the notes breathe and be full. especially in a trio.

But Noel Redding, he seemed to never really make the switch from guitar to bass. He thought he was a star in his own right, equal to Hendrix, and that he would quit and be the lead guitar and vocal of his own band, Fat Mattress.

How many Fat Mattress records you own??

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9161602)
I had a Facebook friend make that same argument last week.

Only because it's really the truth.

siberian khatru 11-29-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9161628)
Only because it's really the truth.

I can't say I disagree with it.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9161577)
King Arthur was performed by ice skaters dressed as knights on horseback.

:spock:

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9161580)
As someone who likes Zep, Rush, Yes and Tull, I also like every group on your list.

Me too. Huge Velvets fan. Me and Lou Reed share a birthday and similarly macarbe outlook.

siberian khatru 11-29-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9161632)
:spock:

Indeed.

The infamous 1975 concert at Wembley is on YouTube. I'm not posting any of it here, lest I get perma-banned.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9161591)
A lot of good ones on there--surprisingly good. Many would fit right in on the 70s albums. Of course, many of them were largely written in the 70s, so that makes sense.

Yeah, I have the old Gene Simmons demos and the Cherokee Studios tracks from '75 - they pretty much improved each song, except for Beats Working and She's A/The Woman, I like the original lyrics to each one better. And in She's The Woman, the old one had the bridge from Mean Street in it, so the new one has a twist in it.

But musically, they're on top of their game. Never sounded better, and really don't miss ol' what's his name at all.

rabblerouser 11-29-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9161597)
Not fair really, that they've found a way to continue touring even though Keith has been clinically dead for like 20 years...

But Keith's the only one who can make being dead for so long look so damn cool.

Stones win.

htismaqe 11-29-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9161625)
that's Jimi on bass

I know, that's why I added the "oddly enough" at the end of the comment. ;)

Quote:

It's a different mentality than guitar; much more rhythmic, and subtle. The big thing for me was how to not attack a bass the way you might a guitar, like letting the notes breathe and be full. especially in a trio.

I was always into different music outside of my core hard rock/metal tastes, whether it was classical or jazz or whatever, and we were always adding funk, reggae, and blues (anything you could toke to really :D) elements to the stuff we were writing.

Over the years, I developed a certain somewhat percussive, hybrid rhythm/lead style on the guitar and never did really develop my lead "chops" because I'm just not dexterous enough. Ironically, I've found that this Neil Young-style hackjob guitar style translates really well to the bass.

Quote:

How many Fat Mattress records you own??

ROFL

:thumb: