ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Sac's 2014 Chiefs Mock Draft (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275310)

Easy 6 01-07-2014 09:05 PM

Not sure if he's quite as fast or quick as Smith in his prime, looks good nonetheless... reaches out for his grabs, will go up in traffic, can adjust to the ball in the air.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/t8KoAJ-Y5MU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Saccopoo 01-09-2014 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10354250)
Not sure if he's quite as fast or quick as Smith in his prime, looks good nonetheless... reaches out for his grabs, will go up in traffic, can adjust to the ball in the air.

Yeah, I think he's damn near prototype as a slot receiver at the next level. (And that position in and of itself has become one of the more important positions in the modern age of the NFL.)

As I stated in some other thread, if they could pick up a guy like Riley Cooper in free agency (which would solve a lot of the Chiefs problems in terms of having a WR capable of running solid routes with reliable hands) and then get a guy like Beckham for the slot, it would infinitely upgrade the Chiefs offense.

The thing is, FS is a huge concern. I had hopes that Kendrick Lewis would build on the potential he showed as a rookie, where he seemed to show some pretty good cover skills. However, I think primarily due to the shoulder injury, he's been tentative and slow to react. It might also be scheme change. Who knows, but this season he was not good and I'd be worried about going forward without addressing the position.

I had hopes for Brad McDougald, as he had a monster preseason and was really just learning the position after being a WR for most of his college career (why he chose KU over Ohio State as the Jayhawks were going to let him play wideout while the Buckeyes were moving him to safety). A lot of potential, but after enough musical chairs with game day roster and practice squad, he got highjacked by the Buccaneers 3/4 through the season. Bummer.

As such, a guy like Clinton-Dix, who has played free safety in a 34 at Alabama, would be very tempting if he was there when the Chiefs picked in the first round over a WR prospect - as the draft is heavy at the wideout position and you will be able to get high quality guys later in the draft versus the safety positon, which is incredibly thin.

Direckshun 01-09-2014 11:55 AM

Yeah, if Clinton-Dix has survived to 23, you really, really need to look at him.

The problem, however: you need to examine the history books and see how many teams that spend two first rounders on safeties do in the Super Bowl.

Dave Lane 01-09-2014 12:35 PM

So only 2 Linemen and 1 player from Utah in a Sac draft? OK this is cut and paste from somewhere.

The Franchise 01-09-2014 02:50 PM

I can't wait to see the first time he drops a ball. This fanbase is reeruned when it comes to WRs.

OldSchool 01-09-2014 03:36 PM

I honestly don't think that any safety available in the draft this year will be an immediate upgrade over what is already inhouse. None of the safeties are worth a 1st rounder.

RealSNR 01-09-2014 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10357956)
I can't wait to see the first time he drops a ball. This fanbase is reeruned when it comes to WRs.

This.

People don't understand just how many times truly great WRs drop passes.

Jerry Rice was NOT the sure-hands asshole many fans of the Chiefs probably think he is. And the same goes for Andre Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, and a bunch of other very good starting WRs for other teams.

Mav 01-10-2014 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10357559)
Yeah, if Clinton-Dix has survived to 23, you really, really need to look at him.

The problem, however: you need to examine the history books and see how many teams that spend two first rounders on safeties do in the Super Bowl.

Hmmm. Never thought about it that way.

Mav 01-10-2014 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10358038)
I honestly don't think that any safety available in the draft this year will be an immediate upgrade over what is already inhouse. None of the safeties are worth a 1st rounder.

Lol. A blocking dummy would be more effective than Lewis.

Mav 01-10-2014 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10358141)
This.

People don't understand just how many times truly great WRs drop passes.

Jerry Rice was NOT the sure-hands asshole many fans of the Chiefs probably think he is. And the same goes for Andre Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, and a bunch of other very good starting WRs for other teams.

Crabtree was stone hands. About the only receivers I can recall being just nails. Keenan Allen, Calvin, Fitzgerald.

Nightfyre 01-10-2014 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10357559)

All I know is that if our FS plays at a high level, he is ball-hawking on crossing routes, picking up deep routes for our corners and making ****ing tackles and those are the biggest cracks our defense showed. Shore those up and all of a sudden that pass rush is in the picture again. It would really elevate this defense to the point where we sweep SD, take one from Denver and beat Indy in the playoffs. In fact, I would go as far as saying that if we had better free safety play, the only game it doesn't make a ridiculous difference in is the first Indy game. All that said, I would just as soon shore up the safety position via free agency since it is the most glaring team weakness. It really frees us up to do BPA in the draft.

Mav 01-10-2014 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 10358866)
All I know is that if our FS plays at a high level, he is ball-hawking on crossing routes, picking up deep routes for our corners and making ****ing tackles and those are the biggest cracks our defense showed. Shore those up and all of a sudden that pass rush is in the picture again. It would really elevate this defense to the point where we sweep SD, take one from Denver and beat Indy in the playoffs. In fact, I would go as far as saying that if we had better free safety play, the only game it doesn't make a ridiculous difference in is the first Indy game. All that said, I would just as soon shore up the safety position via free agency since it is the most glaring team weakness. It really frees us up to do BPA in the draft.

Agreed. When he was a rookie I really liked nate allen. He will be a free agent. Wonder if he will get a look

OldSchool 01-10-2014 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10359068)
Agreed. When he was a rookie I really liked nate allen. He will be a free agent. Wonder if he will get a look

Do you know the word? Byrd is the word. I doubt that the Bills will let him test the market though.

Possibility of taking Dion Bailey in the 3rd-4th and putting him at SS while letting Flowers be the center fielder? Bailey did a lot of what Flowers was asked to do this year, moving down into the box as well as being moved back to the traditional safety position. I would like Pryor over Bailey but he will most likely test himself out of the Chiefs' 3rd round pick.

Another intiguing player is Lamarcus Joyner. Really undersized but is a play maker from the SS position. Reminds me a lot of Honey Badger, Bob Sanders (when he was good), and Donte Hitner. Seems to have excellent instincts, quickness, fearlessness, and drive to make the play. He's just a lot smaller than you would like, especially with much bigger receivers in the NFL. If he were just a couple of inches taller he would probably be seen as the best safety prospect in this draft.

Saccopoo 01-10-2014 11:42 AM

Eric Berry isn't a free safety. No how, no way. He's a front end box strong safety. Maybe the best in the NFL, but he's not a free safety in any shape or form.

He's got the hyper athleticism that says he could be, but he's not.

Forget about this option.

Personally, I wouldn't mind either Flowers or Sean Smith at free safety. Flowers hits like a truck, relishes it in fact, and we all know he can cover. He was basically playing the nickel/second free safety spot in the zone the last part of the season while Cooper picked up the outside. (Personally, I feel that his injury and subsequent lack of presence in the Colts playoff game was the biggest detriment to the Chiefs in that game.)

And I thought the Chiefs should have looked at Sean Smith as a free safety coming out of college.

And we have the enigmatic Sanders Commings, who you can lump into the Travis Kelce pile. All the talent in the world, but are we ever going to see any of it at Arrowhead. Commings is fast as shit, hits like a loaded blackjack and can cover. However, he's had injuries that haven't let him see the field. Potential is there to have him start as early as next year, pushing Lewis into third option dime defensive back and making Dunta Robinson a ghost.

As well, Abdullah, who fell off NFL radars because of his year long religious sabbatical, can play. He has a very good feel for the ball in coverage and is willing to come up and make the big hit.

Like the tight end position and Kelce, if Commings is 100% by the start of 2014, the safety position doesn't need to be addressed. Berry, Commings, Abdullah, Demps and Lewis is a solid rotation (and you could throw Flowers into that mix if you want). I'd love to see them try to get McDougald back from the Bucs as well, as I thought he looked better than any other safety on roster in the preseason.

And I think that Byrd is a pipe dream. Much like Dennis Pitta at Baltimore, there is no way that the Bills are going to let him walk. He's their favorite son on a defense that's loaded with talent.

Now, however, I would love to see the Chiefs pick up Dennis Pitta and Jarius Byrd in free agency and have both position absolutely loaded, however both are gong to be very expensive and both will most likely be recipients of a franchise tag if a deal isn't worked out.

Easy 6 01-10-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 10357511)
Yeah, I think he's damn near prototype as a slot receiver at the next level. (And that position in and of itself has become one of the more important positions in the modern age of the NFL.)

As I stated in some other thread, if they could pick up a guy like Riley Cooper in free agency (which would solve a lot of the Chiefs problems in terms of having a WR capable of running solid routes with reliable hands) and then get a guy like Beckham for the slot, it would infinitely upgrade the Chiefs offense.

The thing is, FS is a huge concern. I had hopes that Kendrick Lewis would build on the potential he showed as a rookie, where he seemed to show some pretty good cover skills. However, I think primarily due to the shoulder injury, he's been tentative and slow to react. It might also be scheme change. Who knows, but this season he was not good and I'd be worried about going forward without addressing the position.

I had hopes for Brad McDougald, as he had a monster preseason and was really just learning the position after being a WR for most of his college career (why he chose KU over Ohio State as the Jayhawks were going to let him play wideout while the Buckeyes were moving him to safety). A lot of potential, but after enough musical chairs with game day roster and practice squad, he got highjacked by the Buccaneers 3/4 through the season. Bummer.

As such, a guy like Clinton-Dix, who has played free safety in a 34 at Alabama, would be very tempting if he was there when the Chiefs picked in the first round over a WR prospect - as the draft is heavy at the wideout position and you will be able to get high quality guys later in the draft versus the safety positon, which is incredibly thin.

WR, FS... I'm pretty much fine with either one with the first pick, they just have to makes sure they hit on him. I'd prefer a FS since he would probably have more impact than a receiver right away, but as long as they do something to address the other position in free agency I'd be fine with it.