ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Why Can't I Grill A Decent Steak? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276568)

DJ's left nut 09-23-2013 09:43 AM

As I've read along I see some folks put oil on their grates - really?

When I was in college we'd dick around with oil. Either fresh garlic and olive oil directly on the steak or brushing the grates with oil before putting the meat on.

In the end, I've decided it's just a nice little source of flareups and very little else. 'It gets the grates hot' - huh? There's no type or amount of oil you can put on the grates to get them any hotter than the fire's going to get them already, a hot fire will burn off that oil in a snap. A hot fire does that work for you. 'It releases the steak' again - huh? WTF kind of steaks are you cooking that won't come off a grill?

About the only utility I can find for the oil would be that it probably does help loosen up some of the crud on the grate so it can help clean it. I'll buy that. But I just can't see any other use for oil when grilling steaks.

vailpass 09-23-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 10010820)
As I've read along I see some folks put oil on their grates - really?

When I was in college we'd dick around with oil. Either fresh garlic and olive oil directly on the steak or brushing the grates with oil before putting the meat on.

In the end, I've decided it's just a nice little source of flareups and very little else. 'It gets the grates hot' - huh? There's no type or amount of oil you can put on the grates to get them any hotter than the fire's going to get them already, a hot fire will burn off that oil in a snap. A hot fire does that work for you. 'It releases the steak' again - huh? WTF kind of steaks are you cooking that won't come off a grill?

About the only utility I can find for the oil would be that it probably does help loosen up some of the crud on the grate so it can help clean it. I'll buy that. But I just can't see any other use for oil when grilling steaks.

Yeah nothing sticks to my grates, not sure I need oil. I Pam for chicken but the non stick generally works.

DJ's left nut 09-23-2013 09:47 AM

A 'doneness' tip that I think I've mentioned around here before:

If you make an 'okay' sign by lightly touching your pointer finger to the tip of your thumb, the 'firmness' in that fleshy area at the base of your thumb is about how firm a medium-rare steak will be.

If you're looking for medium, press your middle finger to your thumb and touch the fleshy area at the base of the thumb; same story - that's about as firm as a medium steak will be. If you're looking for anything above that - **** you. Just drop it in the coals and walk away.

This is by no means a foolproof method, but if you're cooking over an inconsistent fire or don't have a good instant read handy, this will do in a pinch. Don't 'press' the fingers together, just touch the ends.

Hoover 09-23-2013 09:48 AM

My grates are well seasoned. I'd never lube them up.

I do sprinkle a little rub on the grates right before I throw down the meat.

luv 09-23-2013 09:49 AM

Haven't read the whole thread. I don't know about actual cook times and all that, but I have a friend that puts cracked pepper, garlic, and a little spicy montreal steak seasoning on. He usually refrigerates that for 20 minutes before throwing them on the grill.

vailpass 09-23-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 10010835)
Haven't read the whole thread. I don't know about actual cook times and all that, but I have a friend that puts cracked pepper, garlic, and a little spicy montreal steak seasoning on. He usually refrigerates that for 20 minutes before throwing them on the grill.

Thanks Luv!

Dayze 09-23-2013 10:02 AM

be sure to slather it with Ketchup before putting it on the grill.
or don't; but be sure to serve it with ketchup.

vailpass 09-23-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10010866)
be sure to slather it with Ketchup before putting it on the grill.
or don't; but be sure to serve it with ketchup.

Oh for sure. But here in AZ ketchup= hot sauce.
Nothing but the best Clark.

Coogs 09-23-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10010695)
Vail, there is some terrible advice in this thread. Don't pay attention to half of it. Look for the posters whose opinions on food have been proven for you and ignore the rest.

I don't know if mine was terrible or not, but it works for me. Color of the moisture on the top of the steak after the flip. Find what you like and go with that color. For me it is just as it starts to get clear. No longer. Works for any thickness of steak that way.

vailpass 09-23-2013 10:05 AM

On a real note though I sent the girl for steaks. She came back with bacon wrapped shrimp as well.
Reward has been earned.

vailpass 09-23-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 10010875)
I don't know if mine was terrible or not, but it works for me. Color of the moisture on the top of the steak after the flip. Find what you like and go with that color. For me it is just as it starts to get clear. No longer. Works for any thickness of steak that way.

I liked that tip.

Dayze 09-23-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10010872)
Oh for sure. But here in AZ ketchup= hot sauce.
Nothing but the best Clark.

is that 'real' tomato ketchup Eddie?
LMAO

Dayze 09-23-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10010876)
On a real note though I sent the girl for steaks. She came back with bacon wrapped shrimp as well.
Reward has been earned.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ick2-C-RSb.gif

vailpass 09-23-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10010879)
is that 'real' tomato ketchup Eddie?
LMAO

Boom!
Don't know why they call it hamburger helper, does just fine on it's own.

trndobrd 09-23-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10010408)
I haven't been able to hit the perfect medium rare. They aren't screwed up but I want perfect.

Purchase and use a good meat thermometer.

I like to put a little salt, pepper and dash of lowry's on KC strips that are just below room temp. Get the coals nice and glowing red hot, then hit each side for about 2 minutes with the lid up. Then turn again and rotate 90degrees and give it another 4 minutes with the lid down. At that point, there should be red juice showing and I check (only once) the temp, flip the steak over one last time (rotate 90degrees), close the lid and give it about one minute, plus one minute for every five degrees away from 145 center temp. Take off the steaks, give them at least 5 minutes to rest, and enjoy a perfect, juicy, medium-rare steak with beautiful cross-hatched grill marks.